• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The seeing eye in the catheral in Santiago

I took a pic of the ceiling in the catheral in Santiago - the part almost directly over the butafumerio. Does anyone know/understand the significance of the "eye" ? I had not seen this in any of the catherals I had visited.

Thanks
Rebecca

Attachments

• CF-0828 291009 comp.jpg
    CF-0828 291009 comp.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,980
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Restlessrose - the "all seeing eye of God" represented by the Eye is a common feature in religious art and iconography and appears in many Christian churches and images. In some traditions it is the Eye of Providence and appears on the back of the Great Seal of the United States - it is also associated with Freemasonary. It can also be traced back to Egyptian mythology and the Eye of Horus.It also appears in Buddhism, where Buddha is also regularly referred to as the "Eye of the World".

Had to dredge up knowledge from 30 year old Fine Arts course - thank goodness we have Google!

I´m fascinated by the the cathedrals and the mosques, too.

Attachments

• The Blue Mosque in Istanbul.jpg
    The Blue Mosque in Istanbul.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,865
  • The Cathedral in Burgos.jpg
    The Cathedral in Burgos.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,869
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks JohnnieWalker, PeterRobins

The symbol of the eye seems to be widely used :
1) in Egyptian Mythology,
2) as the Greek evil eye,
3) the eye of Bodhnath,
4) the concept of the Third Eye in Hinduism/Buddhism/martial arts
5) the Eye of Providence (which can be within a triangle, or in a pyramid)

From wiki The Eye of Providence is refered as being assicoated with Freemasonary (Knights Templar). A further search highlighted that

"The original medieval Order of Knights Templar was established after the First Crusade, and existed from approximately 1118 to 1312. There is no known historical evidence to link the medieval Knights Templar and Masonic Templarism, nor do the Masonic Knights Templar organizations claim any such direct link to the original medieval Templar organization. Though its affiliation with Masonry is based on texts that indicate persecuted Templars found refuge within the safety of Freemasonry."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_Te ... reemasonry)

From this I wonder if I may assume the symbol in the dome of the catheral in Santiago does not imply an association the medieval Knights Templar, and is simply, the eye christian symbol

http://www.catholic-saints.info/catholi ... symbol.htm

There is so much to know/learn about the camino ! I feel like I am barely scratching the surface. Each time I pour over the photos, I have more questions.

Anniethenurse, I will add hindu temples too. Attached is photo taken in the Ranakpura Jain Temple in Udaipur. Arent they all fascinating and awesome ? Thank you for sharing the photo on Istanbul. A city on my list of 'must visit'.

Rebecca

Attachments

• DSC_1409_comp.jpg
    DSC_1409_comp.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,708
Was the Eye always there or was it added later? Perhaps by the architect of the cathedral Fernando de Casas?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
RestlessRose said:
From this I wonder if I may assume the symbol in the dome of the catheral in Santiago does not imply an association the medieval Knights Templar, and is simply, the eye christian symbol
yes, I can't see any reason to think the Templars had anything to do with it. Offhand, I can't think of any Templar associations in Santiago itself, tho there are plenty along the Camino Frances.

I've also just had a quick look through my numerous books on Compostela and can't find any mention of this Eye anywhere, so, no, I don't know when it was put there either, tho I think the symbol is more likely to be baroque than medieval.

The German wikipedia page http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auge_der_Vorsehung has a picture of an Eye in Aachen cathedral.

I think that Peter is right and that it isn't part of the original plans drawn up by Diego Pelaez and added to by Diego Gelmirez. Certainly the cupola doesn't appear on any of the plans for the 11th/12th century Romanesque building that I have seen. Romanesque buildings were intended to be dark inside and it was a later idea to let in the light. It probably dates from the time of the installation of the Botefumeiro (?)
Fascinating though. I can't believe I never noticed it!
Trac Saunders
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

Most read last week in this forum

Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back