• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Shadow Pilgrim

Lisa HS

Contributing Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (SJPdP - SdC)
Port. (Porto -SdC - Finis)
To anyone who is currently in SdC. Can you tell me if the Shadow Pilgrim is once again appearing nightly, in his usual place behind the Cathedral? Last year, he was obscured by scaffolding. Here is the reference to anyone who has not made his awesome specterly acquaintance. https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/shadow-pilgrim.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just FYI, for those of you who have not met the "Shadow Pilgrim" aka "Santiago's Ghost..." Here is how to find him...

After DARK, go to Plaza Quintana. This is on the East side of the Cathedral, in the large open square behind the main altar end of the Cathedral.
  1. Find the Holy Door / Door of Mercy. This is a large / tall door facing the plaza, with a surrounding facade of many saints.
  2. Move about 10 meters LEFT / SOUTH while facing the Cathedral.
  3. At the corner of the Cathedral, move another 5 meters or so LEFT.
  4. You should see the Shadow / Ghost on the wall, near the rear corner (to the right).
  5. You can't miss him if it is dark and the lights are on. He is wearing a tunic / robe, traditional pilgrim hat, and carrying a staff with a gourd attached. He does not move.
  6. Take a photo... it will come out...
  7. Weird innit?
Hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for sharing Lisa! I was not knowing that!!!

In case someone is interested, another peculiar thing in the cathedral is the chrismon in the "Puerta de Platerias". Instead of having alpha and omega, they are inverted, omega and alpha. It seems to mean that the end of the Camino is actually the beginning of the Camino.

By the way ... I saw that the "Peregrino escondido" appears in google maps!

To anyone who is currently in SdC. Can you tell me if the Shadow Pilgrim is once again appearing nightly, in his usual place behind the Cathedral? Last year, he was obscured by scaffolding. Here is the reference to anyone who has not made his awesome specterly acquaintance. https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/shadow-pilgrim.
Oh I love this!! I didn't see him last year but hope to on my next Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just FYI, for those of you who have not met the "Shadow Pilgrim" aka "Santiago's Ghost..." Here is how to find him...

Take a photo... it will come out...

Hope this helps.

If you have a photo, please publish here, so we know what we are looking for. Thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

was there in October posted a pic

Halloween Night 2019, a spooktacular occasion and best costume goes too...🤠

Attachments

• 20191031_201256.jpg
    20191031_201256.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
I have a quick shot of the shadow from last Sept 2019, but there were several pieces of construction equipment in front, so not perfect shots. On the day I was leaving to go home, the equipment was moved, but alas...daytime, no shadow to photograph! Maybe this year? LOL

I’m here in Santiago scratching my head but I can’t dig up any of the previous threads I have seen in the past about the “Shadow Pilgrim”, who only comes out at night as the product of an amazing collection of shadows. Can any of you wise people who are such fonts of wisdom help me out?

Hi Becky!
Go to the Plaza de Quintana, and look toward the gift shop door. In the corner there, at night, there will be the shadow of a pilgrim with a hat on his head and a staff. I'll see if I can dig up some links or images.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m here in Santiago scratching my head but I can’t dig up any of the previous threads I have seen in the past about the “Shadow Pilgrim”
I have found one of those threads and will merge the new posts with it, since there are some good photos and discussion.

It's quite a tourist attraction these days and there always seems to be people taking photos. It's nice to observe after midnight when it's quiet and there is nobody about.

For anyone who's interested:
I think the pillar is an earthing point for the lightning conductor on one of the spires. There are two identical ones either side of the Portico da Gloria. I only noticed them the other day!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.