A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

The shells for Denise are beginning their last journey

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/?/Invierno ('19)
Thank you for taking all our shells to Denise's tree, Peter! Safe and pleasant journey to you.
You'll have some arranging to do once they get there - that's a pile of shells.
(The thought occurs to me - are they getting cemented in place in a circle around the tree (or something) to keep them from wandering off? And if not - @Rebekah Scott , can we offer some donations to do this?)

kelleymac

Camino(s) past & future
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.
Thank-you!
Denise walked just a few days behind me and my son in 2015. We arrived in Santiago on the 6th of April, leaving Astorga on the the 27th of March.
In 2016 I carried a shell for Denise from SJPP to Burgos. I left it at Burgos at the cathedral where I lit a candle for her, and one for her family.
Can you put in a note letting her family know? They are remembered and still in my prayers.

Last edited:

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
(The thought occurs to me - are they getting cemented in place in a circle around the tree (or something) to keep them from wandering off? And if not - @Rebekah Scott , can we offer some donations to do this?)
We just put them there, around the stone at the base of the tree, and hanging from the tree, too. If they wander away, well... nothing is forever. We use minimal cement, because it affects the health of the tree.

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
Thank-you!
Denise walked just a few days ahead of me and my son in 2015.
In 2016 I carried a shell for Denise from SJPP to Burgos. I left it at Burgos at the cathedral where I lit a candle for her, and one for her family.
Can you put in a note letting her family know? They are remembered and still in my prayers.
Hi kelleymac, since the shells will be outside a note may drift away. If you like, please add a note to the online Condolence Book on this Forum: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/condolence-book-for-denise.36372/. We'd sent the link to Cedric and his parents a while ago and they may still be checking in and see a new message from you, in time. Take care!
Faith

kelleymac

Camino(s) past & future

Camino Chris

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Thank-you!
Denise walked just a few days ahead of me and my son in 2015.
Denise walked just a few days ahead of my son and I in the spring of 2015. We started seeing the missing person posters in Astorga with her name and lovely photo. It was very sobering.

kelleymac

Camino(s) past & future
Denise walked just a few days ahead of my son and I in the spring of 2015. We started seeing the missing person posters in Astorga with her name and lovely photo. It was very sobering.
We must have been just days apart. Maybe hours. I remember the posters- but didn't see them until later.

Peter Fransiscus

Do more than just exist.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
I started walking 14 days after she was missing . Denise was in the news every day . It was terrible .

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
This full-circle moment is poignant for me. Many of you walked long distances with your memorial shells and dropped them off in Santiago, or you sent in messages over email that were then inscribed onto blank shells. We took photos of some of you with your shells, and with the condolence notes that many of you wrote at Pilgrim House, a scrapbook of photos and notes was made and delivered to the Thiem family in Arizona.

Shells were also brought to Denise's memorial service in Madrid and given to Cedric and Denise's friends who had traveled in, and Nate and I were able to take a few to Denise's mom when we visited with her in California. In these instances the family was so touched by the pilgrim community's kindness, caring gestures, and prayers. I know many of you wish you could've done even more.

This morning as I packed up the shells for Peter, my mind turned back to that intense time of sadness and anger after Denise was found, but I was also grateful we got to witness first-hand the care and loving actions of so many. And it took a lot of hard work and collaboration, but @Rebekah Scott put her amazing gift of "getting things done" toward creating the memorial park and purchasing the memorial plaque.

We all - and the shells you carried - have been on a long journey the past three years, and it's nice to know the shells will have a quiet resting place as we continue to remember our fellow peregrina Denise.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/?/Invierno ('19)
IMG_8018.JPG
Astorga. Good Friday, April 3, 2015.
It was a gorgeous day. Denise was still with us, a day or so behind me at that point.
Who knew what was coming - and it is still hard to let it in, what happened.
May she rest in peace.

So thank you to @natefaith for collecting the shells, Peter for taking them, and especially @Rebekah Scott for making the idea of a memorial to her a reality, so everyone will have a place to remember, to pray, and to process the unfathomable.

Camino(s) past & future
CF Sep/Oct 2015
C Primitivo Sep / Oct 2016
Portugese Sep/Oct 2017
VdlP, Muxia 2018
The shells left by Pilgrims in Pilgrim house are beginning at there journey to the memory tree for Denise.
Dear Peter,
I will never forget my walk into Astorga on a rainy September evening in 2015, my time while there and particularly walking out of town the following morning. The impact of Denise's tragedy has marked so many of us and it was particularly raw during those September days. Although we never knew or met Denise, she was part of my Camino Frances. May she rest in peace. Like so many other fellow pilgrims at that time, Denise was a part of our journey from Astorga all the way to Santiago. I like to think that her Camino was completed in our hearts. I imagine your wonderful gesture will bring some solice to Denise's family and friends. This is a good thing that you do Peter. Safe journey and Buen Camino.
James

DebR

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances:
2013; 2014; 2015; 2017; 2018 (October)
Could someone post the location where Denise’s tree is located? I carried a shell for her in September 2015 and i’d very much like to pause there for her when I walk again in October.

Peter Fransiscus

Do more than just exist.
Camino(s) past & future
The shells are now in the room of Sister Kathrine and the other Sisters in the Pilgrimsoffice.
That room is full of good and lovely energie.
And Monday they leave the Pilgrimsoffice for there final journey to Denise.

Thank you all for your beautyfull words .

IngridF

Intrepid Peregrina
Camino(s) past & future
2012, 2015 ,2017, 2019
This full-circle moment is poignant for me. Many of you walked long distances with your memorial shells and dropped them off in Santiago, or you sent in messages over email that were then inscribed onto blank shells. We took photos of some of you with your shells, and with the condolence notes that many of you wrote at Pilgrim House, a scrapbook of photos and notes was made and delivered to the Thiem family in Arizona.

Shells were also brought to Denise's memorial service in Madrid and given to Cedric and Denise's friends who had traveled in, and Nate and I were able to take a few to Denise's mom when we visited with her in California. In these instances the family was so touched by the pilgrim community's kindness, caring gestures, and prayers. I know many of you wish you could've done even more.

This morning as I packed up the shells for Peter, my mind turned back to that intense time of sadness and anger after Denise was found, but I was also grateful we got to witness first-hand the care and loving actions of so many. And it took a lot of hard work and collaboration, but @Rebekah Scott put her amazing gift of "getting things done" toward creating the memorial park and purchasing the memorial plaque.

We all - and the shells you carried - have been on a long journey the past three years, and it's nice to know the shells will have a quiet resting place as we continue to remember our fellow peregrina Denise.

I left Santiago the day Denise was found, I remember a city in mourning. It is good to remember her.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
Could someone post the location where Denise’s tree is located? I carried a shell for her in September 2015 and i’d very much like to pause there for her when I walk again in October.
It is near the small chapel on the way out of Astroga. There are now several trees planted there as a memorial garden.

DebR

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances:
2013; 2014; 2015; 2017; 2018 (October)
It is near the small chapel on the way out of Astroga. There are now several trees planted there as a memorial garden.
Thank you. I know exactly the spot.

Peter Fransiscus

Do more than just exist.
Camino(s) past & future
Hello all ,

The circle is closed as off today .

It was very emotionally and I had a good long cry.

More later.

Wish you all well , Peter .

Attachments

Peter Fransiscus

Do more than just exist.
Camino(s) past & future
It’s time for a big thank you ,

It all began on the day that Faith asked me if I want to bring the Shells “left by Pilgrims in Pilgrim House” to the memory tree of Denise .

It was a complete surprise for me that Faith asked me this . Never had to think about the answer as you all know .

Last Thursday I went to Pilgrim House where Faith handed over the box with the Shells .

I brought the Shells to the Pilgrim Office and left them in good care of Sister Katharine and the other Sisters

And last Monday I went with one of the guards to the room off the Sisters to get the box with the Shells .

The drive to the memory site was the hardest two hours of my life . Tears came from time to time . And on the memory site I let my tears go .
Afterwards it all gave me a very good feelings .

For me those last two weeks in Santiago where a emotional roller coaster .

I will expres my special thanks to Sabine (you know why) during those weeks .

Also a big thank you to Sister Katharine and the other Sisters for the talks with them and keeping the Shells in there care .
And Sandra and the Sisters in Zabaldika .
That was a special ending off a emotional time in that church .

And of course all you lovely people wishing me all the best and save driving etc. before and during my hard ride to the memory site .

You all have a special place in my heart and it will not be forgotten .

Wish all off you lovely people all the best for the future , Peter .

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)

It all began on the day that Faith asked me if I want to bring the Shells “left by Pilgrims in Pilgrim House” to the memory tree of Denise .

It was a complete surprise for me that Faith asked me this . Never had to think about the answer as you all know .

Last Thursday I went to Pilgrim House where Faith handed over the box with the Shells .

I brought the Shells to the Pilgrim Office and left them in good care of Sister Katharine and the other Sisters

And last Monday I went with one of the guards to the room off the Sisters to get the box with the Shells .

The drive to the memory site was the hardest two hours of my life . Tears came from time to time . And on the memory site I let my tears go .

Also a big thank you to Sister Katharine and the other Sisters for the talks with them and keeping the Shells in there care .

And of course all you lovely people wishing me all the best and save driving etc. before and during my hard ride to the memory site .

So glad to see that you are home safe and sound, Peter. Thank you for sharing all of this with all on the forum.

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF Austria Czech Le Puy Geneva RLS V. Jacobi V. Regia V. Baltica/Scandinavica Porto Muxia

Thank you so much for your caring Peter.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Rebekah Scott In Memoriam 33
natefaith In Memoriam 13
grayland In Memoriam 44

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 236 24.8%