• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The smallest of steps

Time of past OR future Camino
CFx5
Norte
Primitivo
CP
Le Puy-SJPP
Via F
image.jpeg Yesterday,I noted a post asking for information on good Camino books

A few weeks ago,a friend who knew that we had walked "the way" a number of times gave me a present of a pretty amazing book called "half a world away...a27000km journey from Alaska to Argentina"although not about theCDC per se...
it reminded me very much of all the pilgrims who each year embark on this very special journey to SDC.

For this young man,it was a form of pilgrimage in memory of his grandmother.

The author,(with the auto immune condition ulcerative colitis) indeed relates to many of us who might have at some stage in our lives " have come to the conclusion that life and all it incorporates appears meaningless"
Even though he wondered about the "rationality and choice of trying to uncover the"pull" of this long distance journey"......? Sounds familiar!!.........and overcoming
Various anxieties before and during the journey.......? Again sounds familiar!!, he set off.

He realised that the most important parts were in between and that "the smallest of steps" was the key to reaching that furthest of goals.

Despite at times,wondering why he was making this journey at all........he journeyed on...initially with a friend for a short time.. .....and then alone for over a year.

The trials and tribulations that most of us have felt and indeed experienced( illness , exhaustion) on the way are very similar to this guy.....how will we get there?....will we get there? ...how will we feel when we get there(or not)?

Although different in distance and place...there are so many similarities between his journey and that of pilgrims on the way to SDC.

After reading the post and the replies yesterday,I thought this book worth a mention for those thinking and wondering about walking "the way"...or indeed cycling it!
It's a fascinating and thought provoking read for pilgrims and non pilgrims alike.

It's available on Amazon.com With best wishes Annette

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
[QUOTE "the smallest of steps" [/QUOTE].................................................

................. may be the first leap towards your star.

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

................. may be the first leap towards your star.

Buen Camino
Hello John Mc....is that a good thing...what star...
Sorry..am a bit dim here with this one!!
Annette[/QUOTE]

Hello Annette,

(Your star),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Whatever it is you are trying to achieve, are reaching for and that thing which will bring you peace, joy and closure.

Buen (star-reaching) Camino

Annette

Hello Annette,

(Your star),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Whatever it is you are trying to achieve, are reaching for and that thing which will bring you peace, joy and closure.

Buen (star-reaching) Camino[/QUOTE]
Annette

Hello Annette,

Buen (star-reaching) Camino[/QUOTE]
thank you John,that was kind of you.
And best wishes with a Buen Camino Cheers,Annette

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back