• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding Solace in Memory: A Special Stop on the Camino Frances

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
This post was written last year but continues to be relevant.

During this time of world-wide pandemic turmoil I seek solace in memory to comfort my tattered soul.

Although 10 caminos and more than 450 nights usually in albergues provide limitless recollections for which I am forever grateful, January 24, 2009, at Roncesvalles monastery on the Camino Frances was a very special stop to remember for a lifetime.

I had walked five hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos road to the almost mythic monastery. Saw few people and no other pilgrims on the route; needed to ring the monastery bell for shelter .

As he opened the monastery door a surprised monk greeted me saying "Senora in weather like this!" When asked if I might stay the night he nodded and suggested I relax on a nearby bench while he would prepare tea.

Protected at last from the bone-chilling snow storm sitting in relative warmth felt euphoric; I would be the only pilgrim in the old winter albergue opposite the cloister entrance.

Sipping our soothing (hot!!) tea the monk and I shared a long philosophic chat pondering the
necessity of both courage and hope to overcome difficulty. He then stamped my Credential and kindly invited me to the traditional evening benediction.

As always it was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silvered sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and called me by name to stand with them at the altar.

In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood throughout time.

...May we all sense the courage and hope necessary to overcome the current difficulties and
...Might thankful crowds soon again stand for their blessing at that special altar during this Holy Year.

"...but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope."
Romans 5:3-4

Margaret Meredith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

During this time of world-wide pandemic turmoil I seek solace in memory to comfort my tattered soul.

Although 10 caminos and more than 450 nights usually in albergues provide limitless recollections for which I am forever grateful, January 24, 2009, at Roncesvalles monastery on the Camino Frances was a very special stop to remember for a lifetime.

I had walked five hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos road to the almost mythic monastery. Saw few people and no other pilgrims on the route; needed to ring the monastery bell for shelter .

As he opened the monastery door a surprised monk greeted me saying "Senora in weather like this!" When asked if I might stay the night he nodded and suggested I relax on a nearby bench while he would prepare tea.

Protected at last from the bone-chilling snow storm sitting in relative warmth felt euphoric; I would be the only pilgrim in the old winter albergue opposite the cloister entrance.

Sipping our soothing (hot!!) tea the monk and I shared a long philosophic chat pondering the
necessity of both courage and hope to overcome difficulty. He then stamped my Credential and kindly invited me to the traditional evening benediction.

As always it was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silvered sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and called me by name to stand with them at the altar.

In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood throughout time.

...May we all sense the courage and hope necessary to overcome the current difficulties and
...Might thankful crowds soon again stand for their blessing at that special altar during this Holy Year.

"...but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope."

Margaret Meredith
Beautiful

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola Margaret a wonderful memory. Maybe you should consider collating all your winter Camino experiences (the time at Foncebadon stranded for three or more days comes to mind). Best wishes!

The Camino holds special memories for me too, as it does for you Margaret, and no doubt many others on this forum. A lot has changed since my wife and I did the seemingly impossible Frances in 2019. More than I care to list. We’ve had to deal with many more seemingly impossible things since then. Life’s imperfections at times overwhelm those good memories. But like you, I insist on not letting them go, hard as it is sometimes.
Covid has robbed us of two very precious years. I hope this year and next year makes up for all the losses and I hope our paths cross on my next Camino and that you can add to those fond memories stored within.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A wonderful memory and blessing, thanks for sharing.
On a similar vein, a quote from peace activist and Zen Buddhist Thich Nhat Hanh who departed this world last Friday. He saw much suffering in his own native Vietnam, the monks being persecuted for not taking sides - yet he was a shining light of peace and compassion.
“Suffering is not enough. Life is both dreadful and wonderful. To practice meditation is to be in touch with both aspects. Smiling means that we are ourselves, that we have sovereignty over ourselves, that we are not drowned in forgetfulness. How can I smile when I am filled with so much sorrow?
It is natural— you need to smile to your sorrow
because you are more than your sorrow.”

Margaret Meredith
What’s beautiful memory. Is your name Margaret Meredith?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What’s beautiful memory. Is your name Margaret Meredith?
Yes. Here I log-on as MSPath while at times signing posts as MM or Margaret Meredith, the names on my birth certificate. Nevertheless, I have always been called Meredith, which means 'keeper of the sea'.
On my first camino in 2004 when unsuccessfully attempting to clarify the pronunciation of my name as Mere Edith many pilgrims often thought that I was a nun!! Henceforth on the camino I simply used Margaret .

Yes. Here I log-on as MSPath while at times signing posts as MM or Margaret Meredith, the names on my birth certificate. Nevertheless, I have always been called Meredith, which means 'keeper of the sea'.
On my first camino in 2004 when unsuccessfully attempting to clarify the pronunciation of my name as Mere Edith many pilgrims often thought that I was a nun!! Henceforth on the camino I simply used Margaret .
I also am Margaret Meredith. And I go by Meredith. On Camino 2017 I ran into much difficulty with pronunciation of my name. Many called me Mary. My nickname is Bugsy and I usually try to go with that name but that seemed to confuse people even more. Haha!
God bless you and yours and may we chat again!
Margaret Meredith - Bugsy

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Margaret Meredith
Thank you for your written memory .Lifted my spirits and reminded me of the special experiences caminoing since 2007 , my first . Will go through journals now and relive memories and just be grateful I have them while waiting here in Australia yearning to be away . Be thankful and gather all the lovely bits . Buen Camino to us both for the here and now

Thank you for your written memory .Lifted my spirits and reminded me of the special experiences caminoing since 2007 , my first . Will go through journals now and relive memories and just be grateful I have them while waiting here in Australia yearning to be away . Be thankful and gather all the lovely bits . Buen Camino to us both for the here and now
Samba,
Indeed. Although now at 82 I am no longer able to hike long distance I am very thankful to be alive and to remember.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back