• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Solace of Memory

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
During this time of world-wide pandemic turmoil I seek solace in memory to comfort my tattered soul.

Although 10 caminos and more than 450 nights usually in albergues provide limitless recollections for which I am forever grateful, January 24, 2009, at Roncesvalles monastery on the Camino Frances was a very special stop to remember for a lifetime.

I had walked five hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos road to the almost mythic monastery. Saw few people and no other pilgrims on the route; needed to ring the monastery bell for shelter .

As he opened the monastery door a surprised monk greeted me saying "Senora in weather like this!" When asked if I might stay the night he nodded and suggested I relax on a nearby bench while he would prepare tea.

Protected at last from the bone-chilling snow storm sitting in relative warmth felt euphoric; I would be the only pilgrim in the old winter albergue opposite the cloister entrance.

Sipping our soothing (hot!!) tea the monk and I shared a long philosophic chat pondering the
necessity of both courage and hope to overcome difficulty. He then stamped my Credential and kindly invited me to the traditional evening benediction.

As always it was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silvered sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and called me by name to stand with them at the altar.

In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood throughout time.

...May we all sense the courage and hope necessary to overcome the current difficulties and
...Might thankful crowds soon again stand for their blessing at that special altar during this Holy Year.

"...but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope."
Romans 5:3-4

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
During this time of world-wide pandemic turmoil I seek solace in memory to comfort my tattered soul.

Although 10 caminos and more than 450 nights usually in albergues provide limitless recollections for which I am forever grateful, January 24, 2009, at Roncesvalles monastery on the Camino Frances was a very special stop to remember for a lifetime.

I had walked five hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos road to the almost mythic monastery. Saw few people and no other pilgrims on the route; needed to ring the monastery bell for shelter .

As he opened the monastery door a surprised monk greeted me saying "Senora in weather like this!" When asked if I might stay the night he nodded and suggested I relax on a nearby bench while he would prepare tea.

Protected at last from the bone-chilling snow storm sitting in relative warmth felt euphoric; I would be the only pilgrim in the old winter albergue opposite the cloister entrance.

Sipping our soothing (hot!!) tea the monk and I shared a long philosophic chat pondering the
necessity of both courage and hope to overcome difficulty. He then stamped my Credential and kindly invited me to the traditional evening benediction.

As always it was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silvered sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and called me by name to stand with them at the altar.

In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood throughout time.

...May we all sense the courage and hope necessary to overcome the current difficulties and
...Might thankful crowds soon again stand for their blessing at that special altar during this Holy Year.

"...but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope."

Margaret Meredith
Thank you so much Margaret,
Now seriously, why do I have tears in my eyes after reading this?
I must be getting soft

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Anyone with the courage, interest, or penchant for rye humor interested enough...you can search out my earlier posts (2007-2011). Soon it will become apparent, I am a Marine, have little patience with sob stories, sudden revelations of "seeing the light", or endless complaints about bed bugs, snoring Germans, or poor planning. When I am right, I crow. When wrong, I crow longer and louder until you give in just so I will stop.
I have, in recent years, come to the realization that hubris is a two edged-sword. On one hand, a bloated expression of one's invincibility and/or accomplishments often masks a deeper insecurity.
I've had a career folks would find hard to believe and it's somewhat exposed in my factional novel "Merchant's List" (author A.N.Caird). All that said, I've come to appreciate, as mspath so elegantly recounts, the many simple and relatable little things that the Camino places before us. On the Appalachian Trail they're called "Trail Angels", on the Camino...well, maybe not angels but a singular event that strikes a cord so resoundingly beautiful that it's life changing, or at least life enhancing.
I walk today deeply changed and satisfied that in my previous life where I squandered so many opportunities, I know, more is in store and the best is yet to come.
Walking the Camino, or any path that instills a sense of well-being, satisfies a long-standing goal, or introduces you to others of a like mind, is the right Way for you.
Regrets are past opportunities missed. Each day in the future is a new opportunity to explore.
Buen Camino
Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Margaret Meredith
Thank you!

"As always it was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silvered sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and called me by name to stand with them at the altar."
Margaret,
Thank you so much for reminding us how precious our memories are at times like these, and for evoking the Camino spirit of belonging by sharing such a beautiful experience on the altar at Roncesvalles. Your description is so rich and generous that is evokes a sense of being there with you and other pilgrims. How wonderful!
Catherine

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Margaret Meredith
I also walked in 2009 and stayed in the old monastery at Roncesvalles, but in the Spring. I know you love those winter caminos. One day I may pick your brains and try one! Thank you for this wonderful memory.

Margaret Meredith
A wonderful prelude to a book should be in the offing. I hope you will consider it as I would enjoy such a stroll through wonderful memories.
I have found that my memory is found behind a locked door at times. It must be poked and jogged like a thief does to open a safe before it yields its jewels.
Often I sense that I have forgotten so much, but then as the mist dissolves as the sun rises over the mountain and my memories come back and pluck at my old heartstrings.
At other times, my memories are not of particular events on a given day from times long past, but they are wrapped in the feelings I once felt as I walked a road now lost to me. Faces come and go, but my feelings remain clear and oh, how they are cherished and beloved.
Our hearts are many chambered things and we each have spaces that are empty except for the memories of past days, places, and people most dear.
My sister, so deeply admired, this forum that focuses our minds on the Camino creates deep emotions for those we have never even met. From a distance, please know that you are held in the highest esteem, and prayers of gratitude have been said for the seeds of wisdom and joy that you have planted in each sharing.

I too, wept. Thank you Margaret, for sharing your very unique, very special experience.

My 2019 early winter Portugues camino was not *quite* so solitary, but your post reminded me of the mass I attended in the chapel beside the Offices in SdC, where, including the priest and the lay chaplain there were only 9 of us in the room. I was asked to do the reading, and sobbed so at the request that I startled myself and had to decline. We shared our modest intentions for the walk with the gentle priest, and I found that I made a room full of new friends who were happy to welcome me both to supper and breakfast the next morning at their table at the San Martin Monastery in SdC.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Anyone with the courage, interest, or penchant for rye humor interested enough...you can search out my earlier posts (2007-2011). Soon it will become apparent, I am a Marine, have little patience with sob stories, sudden revelations of "seeing the light", or endless complaints about bed bugs, snoring Germans, or poor planning. When I am right, I crow. When wrong, I crow longer and louder until you give in just so I will stop.
I have, in recent years, come to the realization that hubris is a two edged-sword. On one hand, a bloated expression of one's invincibility and/or accomplishments often masks a deeper insecurity.
I've had a career folks would find hard to believe and it's somewhat exposed in my factional novel "Merchant's List" (author A.N.Caird). All that said, I've come to appreciate, as mspath so elegantly recounts, the many simple and relatable little things that the Camino places before us. On the Appalachian Trail they're called "Trail Angels", on the Camino...well, maybe not angels but a singular event that strikes a cord so resoundingly beautiful that it's life changing, or at least life enhancing.
I walk today deeply changed and satisfied that in my previous life where I squandered so many opportunities, I know, more is in store and the best is yet to come.
Walking the Camino, or any path that instills a sense of well-being, satisfies a long-standing goal, or introduces you to others of a like mind, is the right Way for you.
Regrets are past opportunities missed. Each day in the future is a new opportunity to explore.
Buen Camino
Arn
Thank you!

and I add my thanks to all these others above Margaret Meredith - Thankyou for sharing such a very special memory with us all, together with a wonderful word picture which I saw in my mind's eye as I read your post. Blessings Susanawee.

Margaret Meredith
Thank you for sharing this memory. In the end all we have are our memories.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have found that my memory is found behind a locked door at times. It must be poked and jogged like a thief does to open a safe before it yields its jewels.
Often I sense that I have forgotten so much, but then as the mist dissolves as the sun rises over the mountain and my memories come back and pluck at my old heartstrings.
At other times, my memories are not of particular events on a given day from times long past, but they are wrapped in the feelings I once felt as I walked a road now lost to me. Faces come and go, but my feelings remain clear and oh, how they are cherished and beloved.
Our hearts are many chambered things and we each have spaces that are empty except for the memories of past days, places, and people most dear.
What an apt discription of memory. Be it the recall of hot tea on a cold day, or the warmth of fellowship around an alter, both are gems.

The Camino memory that comes to me most, usually when I am tired and wondering what the hell I am doing, is the smell of oranges, from nowhere this scent travels to me and I lift my head to see Scott leaning on a marker post casually peeling an orange while he watches me puff my way up to him, then he passes me a segment at I can still taste the sweetness of the juice mixed with the tang of dust and sweat from his fingers.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.