Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The spirit of the camino at it's very best

jony jony

Camino(s) past & future
Frances ( 2007) Via de la Plata 2016/2017 . Sept 2018...Via de la Plata...May2019 via de la plata
A couple of weeks ago , on the camino somewhere between Riolobos and Galisteo i lost what i thought was about 45 /50 euros from my jacket pocket . That evening i stayed in the albergue in Galisteo, just round the corner from the "bar Des Emigrantes" , where i had my evening meal with another pilgrim from the albergue .
Part way through our meal a couple came in and sat down near us , the man then approached us and in very faultering English ask if we had come over the mountain from Riolobos . We both replied yes , to which he asked if either of us had lost any money .......WoW...i replied that i had lost about 40/50 euros . He put his hand in his pocket and said ." it was maybe this ?" , and produced 3 x 20 euro notes .
This couple had walked the camino an hour or so behind me and just saw the money on the ground near a gate . I offered to pay for their meal ,but they would not hear of it ......such honesty and kindness .

I don't know your names or even your nationality but whoever you are you did a good thing that day and i thank you once again for your genuine honesty .......bless you.

Regards........John

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
These pilgrims! Wonderful--they acted with both honesty and a total absence of selfish greed.
I wish there were more of that in the world right now.

@David, your post says it all.
So unless we want to add to the already burdensome level of collective suffering, we have to do this.
Plus it's happiness-making. A not insignificant side-effect.:cool:

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 - 2019
THAT friends and fellow peregrinos is what it is all about!

Do to others as you would have them do to you. Treat others with respect, honesty and dignity. It all comes around...

Now, try to stay with the program once you return home...That is the big challenge. If you should slip and (proverbially) "fall off the wagon" just do another Camino...that will provide an apt refresher...

See...it's easy...:)

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
That story is really heart warming!

The only hing I would do different, if I ever found money/objects along the way, would be to ask "Has anyone lost SOMETHING along the way? I found some stuff...".
Because I don't doubt some people would immediately say "yes" to a money question, even if the money was not theirs.

Icacos

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
That story is really heart warming!

The only hing I would do different, if I ever found money/objects along the way, would be to ask "Has anyone lost SOMETHING along the way? I found some stuff...".
Because I don't doubt some people would immediately say "yes" to a money question, even if the money was not theirs.
But we are talking about good people, not bad people! ;););)

Waka

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Some but not all, and other routes too.
With the way the world is it's hard sometimes to trust people, this act shows that there are good people out there who have others in mind all the time. If we step back and think during our busy hectic lives we will find that this equates to the majority of people.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

jony jony

Camino(s) past & future
Frances ( 2007) Via de la Plata 2016/2017 . Sept 2018...Via de la Plata...May2019 via de la plata
Just an afterthought to my original post about the kindness of the people who found my lost 60 euros ......about a month before i set out on the camino i read on a local internet site about a lady who had lost her home and job . She was living in a homeless shelter in my home town and her only means of transport for job hunting was expensive ( to her ) public transport since her bike had been stolen .
The manager of the shelter asked ( on social media ) if anyone had a free or cheap bike for this unfortunate lady . I replied that if there was no response i would help buy her a secondhand bike .......there were no replies , so as promised i paid £25 towards a secondhand bike ( costing £45 ) and a homeless charity paid the other £20 .

I just thought i would share this little story with you all. Maybe, in a roundabout way, it was these 2 kind people who found my lost money that actually helped this lady .......i like to think so .

Regards.....John

Marcie

Camino(s) past & future
SJPP to Finesterre 2015
VdlP 2017
Just an afterthought to my original post about the kindness of the people who found my lost 60 euros ......about a month before i set out on the camino i read on a local internet site about a lady who had lost her home and job . She was living in a homeless shelter in my home town and her only means of transport for job hunting was expensive ( to her ) public transport since her bike had been stolen .
The manager of the shelter asked ( on social media ) if anyone had a free or cheap bike for this unfortunate lady . I replied that if there was no response i would help buy her a secondhand bike .......there were no replies , so as promised i paid £25 towards a secondhand bike ( costing £45 ) and a homeless charity paid the other £20 .

I just thought i would share this little story with you all. Maybe, in a roundabout way, it was these 2 kind people who found my lost money that actually helped this lady .......i like to think so .

Regards.....John
sounds like karma to me:cool:

Thanks for making the world a better place.

Carel5

Camino(s) past & future
2016 Mozarabe: Almeria - Merida
2018 Francigena: GSB - Massa
(2019) Francigena: Massa - Roma
Sorry if I spoil the spirit, the magic or the karma of the Camino, but I experienced similar things in Ukraine, England and in my home town in the Netherlands.

Advertisement

Booking.com