• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Stevenson Trail GR 70, Chemin de Stevenson

kayagee66

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Le Puy - Roncesvalles (2016)
Figeac - Cahors (2017)
Stevenson Trail (2018
Hi, I'm planning to walk The Robert Louis Stevenson Trail, GR 70, next September. It's roughly a 2 to 3 week walk through the Cevennes in France. If any members here have walked it, or might be interested in walking it, can I direct you to the facebook group,
Robert Louis Stevenson Trail - GR 70.
It is a closed group but if you search it and send a join request you will be added. It is a friendly group and the more people who can help with tips and advice the better, and if you walk it your photos and comments are very welcome. Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, I'm planning to walk The Robert Louis Stevenson Trail, GR 70, next September. It's roughly a 2 to 3 week walk through the Cevennes in France. If any members here have walked it, or might be interested in walking it, can I direct you to the facebook group,
It is a closed group but if you search it and send a join request you will be added. It is a friendly group and the more people who can help with tips and advice the better, and if you walk it your photos and comments are very welcome. Thanks.
Thanks so much kayagee66. Will join. We start the RLS Chemin on 17th August this year. Am very excited to be doing this after toying with the idea for a few years. We will then walk from Arles to Santiago when we have finished it.

Thanks so much kayagee66. Will join. We start the RLS Chemin on 17th August this year. Am very excited to be doing this after toying with the idea for a few years. We will then walk from Arles to Santiago when we have finished it.
Great, I should be a couple of weeks behind you. If you keep the group updated I'll be able to pick up tips as I walk

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am arriving in Lyon to start the GR 70 from Le Puy this May , thank you for this link Kayagee66 , off to send a friend request right now :)

We will start May 4th. You can follow our blog...linked through blog address in signature. We're not on FB.
Great, I'll be sure to follow.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi. I walked this route in 2010. Details on my blog. www.gittiharre.blogspot.com
It was a fabulous walk, however it does not have that pilgrim feel...a bit more expensive too.
There tend to be lots of walking groups, so booking ahead is recommended. If you send me a pm with your email I can send my itinerary and places I stayed. At the time I spent 48 Euros per day on average all up. Mainly stayed in gites.

Hi. I walked this route in 2010. Details on my blog. www.gittiharre.blogspot.com
It was a fabulous walk, however it does not have that pilgrim feel...a bit more expensive too.
There tend to be lots of walking groups, so booking ahead is recommended. If you send me a pm with your email I can send my itinerary and places I stayed. At the time I spent 48 Euros per day on average all up. Mainly stayed in gites.
That's great, thanks very much.

Excitement!
Currently reading Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes and got a copy of the Miam Miam Dodo in the mail today!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Ed and Joan. A pity we will not see you this time. We will follow your blog with interest.

Here is a link to get a copy of the latest guide to the Stevenson Trail.
It is one of a series of books by Miam Miam Dodo. Well respected, with maps, places to stay, phone numbers, email addresses, food and drinks, languages spoken etc.
It is in French but is easy to understand (i don't speak French).
When i ordered mine it arrived in less than a week.
This link takes you to their books.
The Stevenson Trail GR 70 is in the bottom left.
http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/LivresIndispensables/LivresIndispensables.html

Here is a link to get a copy of the latest guide to the Stevenson Trail.
It is one of a series of books by Miam Miam Dodo. Well respected, with maps, places to stay, phone numbers, email addresses, food and drinks, languages spoken etc.
It is in French but is easy to understand (i don't speak French).
When i ordered mine it arrived in less than a week.
This link takes you to their books.
The Stevenson Trail GR 70 is in the bottom left.
http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/LivresIndispensables/LivresIndispensables.html
We did the Stevenson trail 2 years ago and it is a beautiful walk. There is not a huge amount of accommodation and not masses of walkers either but it links in to a number of other walks. If you get the chance do try it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We did the Stevenson trail 2 years ago and it is a beautiful walk. There is not a huge amount of accommodation and not masses of walkers either but it links in to a number of other walks. If you get the chance do try it.
Hi. Planning now, got the time off in September.
If you have facebook and would like to join the group
Robert Louis Stevenson Trail - GR 70
search it on facebook and click to join. You will be added. Any information you can help with would be much appreciated. And you will be able to see the posts and photos of people who have walked it. And the same from people who will walk in the future.

Just sent my Facebook request to join the GR70 group. I'm planning on starting in September 2018 too.!

I'm back home now after finishing the GR70 last week . What a marvellous experience, so very different from the Camino de Santiago yet so very worthwhile. It is essentially a series of crossings from valley floors to mountain ridges , very strenuous in parts and so very scenic.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm back home now after finishing the GR70 last week . What a marvellous experience, so very different from the Camino de Santiago yet so very worthwhile. It is essentially a series of crossings from valley floors to mountain ridges , very strenuous in parts and so very scenic.
Hi Charles. We are heading off in August to walk this route. How many days did you take to walk? We have planned 11. Hope we are not rushing it too much.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My French National compatriots organised this tour for that loose collection of international Camino walkers that coalesced during the Last Frances .
To do so was a logistical task and in doing so the walk contracted from an initial 15 days to the eventual 11 .
I felt 11 was too short and some days far too long and arduous Sharon , the countryside is extraordinarily beautiful and the need to cover 30 odd km per days detracts from this .
Spend more time in the villages if you can , this is where the true soul of the country is displayed , it is certainly where I felt that I was experiencing the true France .
Some days were nothing more than long forest walks with the occasional exquisite vista through the trees to a neighbouring valley , other days passed through villages I would have given an eye tooth to stay in .
Be prepared for some hard days , the tracks are rough , much rougher than any on the Frances , rocks the size of footballs over mud and uphill for ten km or more .
The last day into St Jean Du Gard was particularly arduous , it was certainly a relief to finally reach our destination .
My back started twinging on this last day and so I did not walk on to Ales but went by car instead . Others in the group continued and found that particular walk horrendous , akin to rock climbing the entire day as one put it . It is probably enough to say that these seasoned ' toughies ' went straight to bed with no drinks or a meal after arriving ; it was that hard .
Some observations ;

Water , we found it difficult to find even in June , August will be harder and the need greater , carry more than you think you might need , the terrain will make you thirsty . One tip I used to some good result , if you find yourself dry visit any cemetery , there is usually a potable water tap inside somewhere for watering flowers , I drank from some with no ill effects . The only fountain for walkers I noticed was in Luc , a small town with no shop or bar , but a nice enough village for an overnight stay in any case .

Accommodation , hit and miss it seems , and not as readily available as in Spain .
Some good , La Lozerette in Cocures , a lovely hotel with a garden to lounge in across the road , good wine friendly staff , good food , nice rooms .
Hotel Le Beausejour in Langogne , undergoing renovation but still comfortable , quirky and with two very amiable hosts that do your laundry for free . They have delightful pet dogs as well !
Some not so good , Hotel des Cevennes in Pont Mont Vert , looks amazing and many have found it to be comfortable , I didn't . It may well be better in August once the weather clears but I found it to be a wet, damp and miserable place with mouldy wet mattresses and walls dripping condensation , the room I slept in was over the road from the main rickety building and on top of the kitchen freezers . So as well as lying on a wet bed I had the continual thump of compressors turning on throughout the night . The meals have often been described as wonderful , the chef must have been on holiday because the thin onion soup and mystery stew served to us did nothing but stave off a little hunger .

Towns , Florac , Yes Sabine , a really nice village with beaut grocery and bakery shops on the way out of town for buying supplies and lunch .
Luc , quiet , quirky and with a church that is built on a Roman chapel , parts of which are still visible at the rear behind the altar .
Goudet , a small village with a beautiful hotel run by a gorgeous Madame .
Mirandol , a village straight out of a Thomas the Tank Engine story , so picturesque as to be almost unreal , stay here if you can , I have no idea as to accommodation but the very village itself , with its railway viaduct is worth it .
Gear , consider boots , I wore Merrell Moab trail runners and managed but if you have ankles that need support this trail will challenge you . If you do wear runners short gaiters will help with all the small stones .
Rain gear , the rain that doesn't fall in Spain goes to France , I regretted not bringing my Gore Tex jacket .
Laundry , it is much harder to wash or have your clothes washed on this GR , bring clothes that will dry fast . Poles , in my opinion if you attempt this GR without them you are asking for twisted ankles , knees and possibly a broken face .
I've posted a few photos on the Stevenson's group Facebook site , they don't do this GR the justice it deserves , a truly delightful walk , if you can take a little longer at it .

My French National compatriots organised this tour for that loose collection of international Camino walkers that coalesced during the Last Frances .
To do so was a logistical task and in doing so the walk contracted from an initial 15 days to the eventual 11 .
I felt 11 was too short and some days far too long and arduous Sharon , the countryside is extraordinarily beautiful and the need to cover 30 odd km per days detracts from this .
Spend more time in the villages if you can , this is where the true soul of the country is displayed , it is certainly where I felt that I was experiencing the true France .
Some days were nothing more than long forest walks with the occasional exquisite vista through the trees to a neighbouring valley , other days passed through villages I would have given an eye tooth to stay in .
Be prepared for some hard days , the tracks are rough , much rougher than any on the Frances , rocks the size of footballs over mud and uphill for ten km or more .
The last day into St Jean Du Gard was particularly arduous , it was certainly a relief to finally reach our destination .
My back started twinging on this last day and so I did not walk on to Ales but went by car instead . Others in the group continued and found that particular walk horrendous , akin to rock climbing the entire day as one put it . It is probably enough to say that these seasoned ' toughies ' went straight to bed with no drinks or a meal after arriving ; it was that hard .
Some observations ;

Water , we found it difficult to find even in June , August will be harder and the need greater , carry more than you think you might need , the terrain will make you thirsty . One tip I used to some good result , if you find yourself dry visit any cemetery , there is usually a potable water tap inside somewhere for watering flowers , I drank from some with no ill effects . The only fountain for walkers I noticed was in Luc , a small town with no shop or bar , but a nice enough village for an overnight stay in any case .

Accommodation , hit and miss it seems , and not as readily available as in Spain .
Some good , La Lozerette in Cocures , a lovely hotel with a garden to lounge in across the road , good wine friendly staff , good food , nice rooms .
Hotel Le Beausejour in Langogne , undergoing renovation but still comfortable , quirky and with two very amiable hosts that do your laundry for free . They have delightful pet dogs as well !
Some not so good , Hotel des Cevennes in Pont Mont Vert , looks amazing and many have found it to be comfortable , I didn't . It may well be better in August once the weather clears but I found it to be a wet, damp and miserable place with mouldy wet mattresses and walls dripping condensation , the room I slept in was over the road from the main rickety building and on top of the kitchen freezers . So as well as lying on a wet bed I had the continual thump of compressors turning on throughout the night . The meals have often been described as wonderful , the chef must have been on holiday because the thin onion soup and mystery stew served to us did nothing but stave off a little hunger .

Towns , Florac , Yes Sabine , a really nice village with beaut grocery and bakery shops on the way out of town for buying supplies and lunch .
Luc , quiet , quirky and with a church that is built on a Roman chapel , parts of which are still visible at the rear behind the altar .
Mirandol , a village straight out of a Thomas the Tank Engine story , so picturesque as to be almost unreal , stay here if you can , I have no idea as to accommodation but the very village itself , with its railway viaduct is worth it .
Gear , consider boots , I wore Merrell Moab trail runners and managed but if you have ankles that need support this trail will challenge you . If you do wear runners short gaiters will help with all the small stones .
Rain gear , the rain that doesn't fall in Spain goes to France , I regretted not bringing my Gore Tex jacket .
Laundry , it is much harder to wash or have your clothes washed on this GR , bring clothes that will dry fast . Poles , in my opinion if you attempt this GR without them you are asking for twisted ankles , knees and possibly a broken face .
I've posted a few photos on the Stevenson's group Facebook site , they don't do this GR the justice it deserves , a truly delightful walk , if you can take a little longer at it .
Hi Charles. I did see your posts on Facebook with your great photos. Oh dear, we are booked into Auberge des Cévennes. I’m a bit worried now.
I am wearing boots and taking sticks so should be fine for equipment. I also have a 2.5 litre hydration system.
We are not walking onto Ales thank goodness. Thanks for your recommendations. We are looking forward to walking this route.

Sharon don't despair re Pont Mt Vert i suspect my experience was due to a convergence of circumstance, hopefully you will be more fortunate. Try to stay in the main building if you can , even though the roof is half comprised oc tar paper it is drier than the newer building across the lane . The madame will not wash or dry clothes for you so make arrangements to wash clothes the next day . I'm sure August will be a paradise in the Cevannes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sharon don't despair re Pont Mt Vert i suspect my experience was due to a convergence of circumstance, hopefully you will be more fortunate. Try to stay in the main building if you can , even though the roof is half comprised oc tar paper it is drier than the newer building across the lane . The madame will not wash or dry clothes for you so make arrangements to wash clothes the next day . I'm sure August will be a paradise in the Cevannes.
Thanks Charles.

Some observations ;

Charles, have you taken the GR68 shortcut to Florac, bypassing Bedoues, i’m hoping to walk from Le Pont de Montvert and it could shorten a long day by a little bit.

Two quite experienced French members of our party did . They became hopelessly lost and were driven out by a local Forrester. He was amazed to find them there. I don't know if their predicament was due to difficulty or inattention though.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Charles, have you taken the GR68 shortcut to Florac, bypassing Bedoues, i’m hoping to walk from Le Pont de Montvert and it could shorten a long day by a little bit.

If you bypassed Bedouès, you would miss one of the most amazing little chapels I have ever seen in France (seen a lot): the Chapelle de St. Saturnin. Definitely worth the non-detour. :)

Hi. I am also planning to start the first few days in September.
I will check out the facebook page as you suggest.

If you have facebook and would like to join the group
Robert Louis Stevenson Trail - GR 70
search it on facebook and click to join.
I tried searching but only found

GR70 Chemin Stevenson Trail - Home | Facebook
https://iphone.facebook.com/gr70.stevenson/?__tn__=*s-R
Rating: 5 - ‎2 votes
... Trail is on Facebook. To connect with GR70 Chemin Stevenson Trail, join Facebook today. ..... at 11:33am ·. http://www.gr70-stevenson.com/fr/robert-louis.htm ...

Please could you send me the correct link....
Thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hi Planning to walk first few days in Sept.
I would be very interested to see your stages and distances as well as feed back on accommodation experiences and special places not to be missed on the way.
Thank you

Some observations ;

Thank you for all that useful information. Is it possible to see your list of the daily stages and distances and where would you suggest breaking up the longer days. I like to average about 20km if the terrain is difficult.
Thank you

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's great, thanks very much.
Hi Gitti
I have followed many of your blogs on other Caminos and have used your great advice.

I dont seem to see the Stevenson Trail on the blog mentioned here only from Geneva to Le Puy, how can I find it.
Thank you

Hi Planning to walk first few days in Sept.
I would be very interested to see your stages and distances as well as feed back on accommodation experiences and special places not to be missed on the way.
Thank you
HI, i’m walking first week in September, so are some of the members of the facebook group.
Easiest way to find it is, go to facebook, in the search box type. Robert Louis Stevenson Trail - GR 70

My stages would not interest many I suspect , far too much distance between them .
Still the towns I mentioned are well worth the effort to stay in and explore further .
One other tip as such , you will find the Stevenson's Trail guide booklet everywhere , it is free and has updated accommodation information . Within it an elevation map of the route , this is terrible , a truly disastrous and misleading travesty of the real route . II suspect the person who compiled it had eaten ' funny ' mushrooms beforehand , it really is that far divorced from reality .
I learnt very quickly to ignore it , however I really do believe that its inaccuracy will someday lead to extreme difficulty if not injury to someone more trusting than I .
The very best resource is the IGN fold out map of the GR70, available just about anywhere for between 18 Euro in Le Puy and 8 Euro in some of the smaller villages .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Try MAPS.ME, downloadable maps that don’t rely on Internet access away from WIFI. It can also adapt and correct routes - independent of the Internet. Find cities, hotels, coffee, etc, list distance, vertical displacement, and estimated elapsed time.
On Portuguese Camino, I unknowingly hit the CAR option, taking me off a WALKING route. Often it takes you back to marked Camino.

Currently on the RLS trail. We started in Le Puy. As mentioned before, you can pick up your credential and topomaps at the Cathedral bookshop.
I found the second day quite strenuous, especially in the afternoon heat. However, we stayed in Gite La Retirade in Le Boucher San Nicolas and enjoyed excellent hospitality and food which was a great reviver for weary walkers. The rooms were lovely.
Our fourth night was spent in Cheylard l’Eveque. Here we stayed at Refuge du Moure. Excellent facilities and food. From Cheylard to the Abbaye Notre Dame des Neiges, there has been a change to the former route. This necessitates at least 4 km extra walking. We have been using the Ciccerone book which has the former route. We were also told by our host in Pradelles to travel by the former route. As far as I can tell, the change has been made to take walkers off 800m of walking on a busy road. So, we took the old route and felt completely safe walking on the verge next to the road and shaved off all those extra km. The newest topo guide has the new longer route marked.
As previous people have suggested, the route is strenuous with many ups and downs and the scenery is wonderful. There are great numbers on the route at this time.

I finished the Portuguese Camino a few days ago, getting my 2nd certifate to join my El Norte Certificate. I’m now out scouting the Camino out of Geneva by car, comparing the topography to my previous treks. One of my adult sons will meet me in Geneva for his 1st Camino.
Driving between Geneva and LePuy, I saw several clusters of pilgrims but only noticed one or two Camino markings. Has anyone completed this track recently that can comment on it? My two previous Caminos were well marked.

Attachments

• 25C235F9-78D2-447C-A8A9-C5142C509600.jpeg
    25C235F9-78D2-447C-A8A9-C5142C509600.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe someone can help. I've been told that there are few places on the GR70 to purchase lunches either in the morning before starting out or at lunchtime. I'm just looking for something like sandwiches or even small grocery stores to buy bread, cheese, fruit and a drink. What have people done for lunch that have walked the GR70? thanks,

Last edited:
Sausage , cheese and bread , fruit and a little more water than you would usually carry . I had no real trouble finding food , most times I would buy something for the next day's lunch at the village I stayed the night in .

does someone have a day to day elevation gain/loss table they could share starting from le puy to ales?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This only answers your question to St Jean du Gard, but should help. It is a wonderful, diverse trail. https://www.macsadventure.com/us/tour-586/stevensons-trail-complete

Thank you! Any further information, folks? I'm considering Geneve to Le Puy, and then the Stevenson, this go around, starting around September 20th or so. Anyone have an idea how long this would take, avoiding overly long stages, and if so, also, any idea as to the weather during this period?

does someone have a day to day elevation gain/loss table they could share starting from le puy to ales?
Both MAPS.ME and Google provide vertical displacement between two points. CAUTION the routes created may not match the formally marked routes.
Carry on....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello Has anyone recently walked any of the GR653A Via Aurelia towards Santiago de Compostela. I am in the Var area near Le Muy but cannot find any local info. I did find part of the route on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.