• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The stone cross outside A Rúa or A Calle (Ordes) Camino Inglés from Ferrol

• Thread starter Deleted member 73892
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 73892

Can anyone tell me to whom the ancient cross outside either of the two villages is dedicated to, please? I suspect its as you enter A Rúa, but can't be sure.The saint has a sword in hand and looks as though she could be going into/from battle(?) It's on the left hand side as you walk into the village, with the traditional stepped surround, and is probably a pilgrim marker too. There are waste containors set back from the road some ten meters further into the village. It would be great if someone knows, I've checked and searched for links and info but to no avail, and no photos found. If anyone finds a link or photos could they post them please. Many thanks. Keith

Buen Camino. Love, Light and Nature.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In 2014 when I walked the Ingles, my camera didn't have GPS! However these must be close to the area. One in particular is a cross on the back of a PIG! I've tried unsuccessfully to find out the story about that! [/ATTACH] DSCF6727.JPG DSCF6622-001.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF6704.JPG
    DSCF6704.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF6725.JPG
    DSCF6725.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 24
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The statue has the date 1737, but that, I believe, is the date of the building of the church.

The state commemorates Saint Pelayo ....

Saint Pelagius of Oviedo
saint-paio-the-martyr-01.jpg
Also known as Pelagius the Martyr, Paio, and Pelayo…

Memorial: 26 June
Profile: left with Moors at age 10 as a hostage for his captured Christian uncle. Three years later, when Pelagius had not been ransomed, he was offered his freedom and a reward if he would convert to Islam and denounce Christianity; he declined. Martyred at age 13.

Born c.912 at Asturias, Spain
Died tortured to death in 925, relics moved to Leon, Spain in 967 then relics moved to Oviedo, Spain in 985

Hope this is of some interest to you.
Buen camino!

In 2014 when I walked the Ingles, my camera didn't have GPS! However these must be close to the area. One in particular is a cross on the back of a PIG! I've tried unsuccessfully to find out the story about that!

We think the pig is one of the symbols used by the Andrade family. (They built the tower at Pontedueme). They are commemorated in the church of San Francisco at Betanzos which has the pig complete with cross on the church roof.
DSCF3925.JPG

Inside the church is at tomb with the sarcophagos resting on a pig and a bear (I think!).
DSCF0474.JPG

On the north coast (Ruta do Mar) there is this bronze statue in the plaza at Espasante.
DSCF0285.JPG

Blessings
Tio Tel

Can anyone tell me to whom the ancient cross outside either of the two villages is dedicated to, please? I suspect its as you enter A Rúa, but can't be sure.The saint has a sword in hand and looks as though she could be going into/from battle(?) It's on the left hand side as you walk into the village, with the traditional stepped surround, and is probably a pilgrim marker too. There are waste containors set back from the road some ten meters further into the village. It would be great if someone knows, I've checked and searched for links and info but to no avail, and no photos found. If anyone finds a link or photos could they post them please. Many thanks. Keith

Buen Camino. Love, Light and Nature.

Hi Keith, welcome to the Forum and that does ring a bell! I believe @miguel_gp or @JohnnieWalker can answer your question if they're on.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The statue has the date 1737, but that, I believe, is the date of the building of the church.

The state commemorates Saint Pelayo ....

Saint Pelagius of Oviedo
saint-paio-the-martyr-01.jpg
Also known as Pelagius the Martyr, Paio, and Pelayo…

Memorial: 26 June
Profile: left with Moors at age 10 as a hostage for his captured Christian uncle. Three years later, when Pelagius had not been ransomed, he was offered his freedom and a reward if he would convert to Islam and denounce Christianity; he declined. Martyred at age 13.

Born c.912 at Asturias, Spain
Died tortured to death in 925, relics moved to Leon, Spain in 967 then relics moved to Oviedo, Spain in 985

Hope this is of some interest to you.
Buen camino!
Thank you Stephen, your reply is much appreciated. Very interesting, although not the cross I have in mind... and dreamt about! I wish I had taken a photo and made a note - maybe I have tio do the Camino Inglés again. Regards, Keith., PS this posting is, at least, bringing-up some interesting information :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you TerryB - your reply is very interesting and helpful, much appreciated. Best wishes, Keith
We think the pig is one of the symbols used by the Andrade family. (They built the tower at Pontedueme). They are commemorated in the church of San Francisco at Betanzos which has the pig complete with cross on the church roof.
View attachment 36928

Inside the church is at tomb with the sarcophagos resting on a pig and a bear (I think!).
View attachment 36929

On the north coast (Ruta do Mar) there is this bronze statue in the plaza at Espasante.
View attachment 36930

Blessings
Tio Tel

In 2014 when I walked the Ingles, my camera didn't have GPS! However these must be close to the area. One in particular is a cross on the back of a PIG! I've tried unsuccessfully to find out the story about that! [/ATTACH] View attachment 36926 View attachment 36927
Hi Stephen - I've just checked your other photos - DSCF 6704 looks promising - do you remember where it is or any details about it? Thanks. Keith

Hola, the only place I can think of is before A Rua where the Church of San Pedro de Ardemil is on the Left hand side entering the village. Whereas the Church of San Pelayo is on the Right. After the church of San Pedro there is a notable Cruceiro - a saint wielding a sword is most likely Santiago Matamoros but I'd need to check. I've uploaded a pic of the church if that helps jog memories!

Attachments

• PARROQUIA DE SAN PEDRO DE ARDEMIL.jpg
    PARROQUIA DE SAN PEDRO DE ARDEMIL.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 14
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola, the only place I can think of is before A Rua where the Church of San Pedro de Ardemil is on the Left hand side entering the village. Whereas the Church of San Pelayo is on the Right. After the church of San Pedro there is a notable Cruceiro - a saint wielding a sword is most likely Santiago Matamoros but I'd need to check. I've uploaded a pic of the church if that helps jog memories!
Hola! That's great, Mr Walker :) I'll check it out. Any further info gratefully received. Love, Light and Nature. Keith

Hi Stephen - I've just checked your other photos - DSCF 6704 looks promising - do you remember where it is or any details about it? Thanks. Keith
It's VERY close to the church that Johnnie Walker mentions - see my reply to him [below]. When I say 'very close' I mean probably within 100 metres!!
In my diary it says: "We walked on towards A Rua, passing the rather amazing statues in the outskirts of Ardemil. I have no idea what they were all about ...."DSCF6713.JPG DSCF6715.JPG DSCF6716.JPG
As you can see from the statue of Saint James, I am standing beside it. This gives some idea of the enormous size of the statues!

Attachments

• DSCF6717.JPG
    DSCF6717.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Greetings, young Johnnie!
I went to Mass in that church, and thought you might like to see a couple of pictures [or three!] My diary says "After 3 kms during which I had been accompanied by distant barking dogs, constant singing of the birds and the occasional cuckoo, I reached the church of San Pedro in Ardemil in good time for mass at 10:00. Almost everyone was standing outside the church at 09:55. It reminded me of funerals in the UK where folk unaccustomed to being in a church tend to remain outside until the very last moment. The Mass, readings, sermon and Holy Communion lasted for 22½ minutes. Mind you, I believe the priest was saying it at such a speed that even the locals would have had difficulty following."
The inside of the church was beautiful [see photos].

Blessings from grey England ....

Attachments

• DSCF6706.JPG
    DSCF6706.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF6707.JPG
    DSCF6707.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF6708.JPG
    DSCF6708.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 15
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's VERY close to the church that Johnnie Walker mentions - see my reply to him [below]. When I say 'very close' I mean probably within 100 metres!!
In my diary it says: "We walked on towards A Rua, passing the rather amazing statues in the outskirts of Ardemil. I have no idea what they were all about ...."View attachment 36978 View attachment 36979 View attachment 36980
As you can see from the statue of Saint James, I am standing beside it. This gives some idea of the enormous size of the statues!

Hi Stephen - it seems that as it's of a saint with a sword, Johnie's suggestion that it is probably St James - 'The Big Man' himself, would make sense, even be logical (by my meagre expeirence, I'm not aware of other sword-wielding saints on any Camino - but please let me know if there are any). It answers a very important question for me and sets me upon a special path (again). Thank you to you all, its been fascinating and informative. LLN Keith

Hi Stephen - it seems that as it's of a saint with a sword, Johnie's suggestion that it is probably St James - 'The Big Man' himself, would make sense,
Keith - if you click on that picture to bring it up to full size, you'll see it's an enormous statue of St James [or a pilgrim], but there is no sword - he's just holding a pilgrim's staff.

@Redhead Keith buen camino. I’ll check my photos and hope I can help you find the right photo.

I have finally found our photo of the cruceiro at A Rua (Buscas) It only shows one side, but may have Santiago on the other side. (I have checked the location with @JohnnieWalker 's guide and Google 'street view')

Attachments

• cruceiro Buscas.jpg
    cruceiro Buscas.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 16
@pontedeume

Attachments

• IMG_2451.JPG
    IMG_2451.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
A selection of Camino Jewellery
to Bruma

Attachments

• IMG_3187.JPG
    IMG_3187.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3188.JPG
    IMG_3188.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
St James.. pointing Go West :)

Attachments

• 20150507_084919.jpg
    20150507_084919.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
@Betanzos

Attachments

• IMG_2815.JPG
    IMG_2815.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Heading to Siguero

Attachments

• IMG_3331.JPG
    IMG_3331.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3343.JPG
    IMG_3343.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
@Stephen Nicholls already posted this .. just posting on a different look... I think that's all I can find.. however, i'll keep looking around since i have lots of photos :)

Attachments

• IMG_3354.JPG
    IMG_3354.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 5
In 2014 when I walked the Ingles, my camera didn't have GPS! One in particular is a cross on the back of a PIG! I've tried unsuccessfully to find out the story about that! [/ATTACH] View attachment 36927
Hello, Sorry to revive an old thread, however I was wondering the same thing about that pig cross as I walked by it today, especially when I then saw it on a church later that evening in Betzano. The first one is located as you walk out of Mino on a quiet side road. It's called CRUCEIRO DA PONTE DO PORCO (leyenda de Roxin Roxal) which you can search Google maps to find the exact location.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello, Sorry to revive an old thread, however I was wondering the same thing about that pig cross as I walked by it today, especially when I then saw it on a church later that evening in Betzano. The first one is located as you walk out of Mino on a quiet side road. It's called CRUCEIRO DA PONTE DO PORCO (leyenda de Roxin Roxal) which you can search Google maps to find the exact location.
Here's the legend of the pig. The webpage gives it in Galician(?) and again in Spanish. Of you use Chrome to translate the second, Spanish, version of the story is translated better.

Here's its location:
CRUCEIRO DA PONTE DO PORCO (leyenda de Roxin Roxal)

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back