• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The story of my winter camino

firsttimerrob

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (January 2017)
Camino Finisterre (February 2017)
Camino Ingles (September 2018)
I've just written an article on my winter camino in January and wanted to share it. I went from St Jean Pied de Port to Finisterre in 33 days, walking 1,012km (according to my phone).

Thanks to everyone here for giving me enough advice to get through it.

You can read it here https://www.asecondlife.co.uk/blog/in-search-of-suffering

Please note there are a few profanities in case you are easily offended. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on it.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, sorry, but I couldn’t get past the second paragraph:

“Against every fibre of my being I started climbing up the hill. Through the thick mist I saw something hurtling towards me. It was a child. Screaming with joy. On a sled. The little f*cker.”

REALLY??!!
Jill

Thanks for sharing this Rob. Just as a quick counterpoint, I was not offended by your language, indeed, language is used to express emotion as well as thought, and sometimes needs to be jarring to accurately convey the author's meaning.

Your title pretty much says it all. I have a friend that I will share this with, as he too seems to spend a lot of time searching for suffering. Perhaps Hemingway led you to the Camino in some way, his characters did plenty of self-inflicted suffering in Spain as well. One could argue they were victims of their own weaknesses and circumstances, but I don't see that argument standing up in your case. The ascetic tradition seems more apt here.

I would suggest from your words that you DID find what you were looking for. That doesn't mean that you like it;). Probably take another Camino to sort that out. May I suggest a warmer one next time? You don't need to freeze to death to find camaraderie, and God will not vaporize at temperatures above +15C.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow. One can become a bit too friendly with suffering. An Episcoal priest once said: "Suffering is overrated". And, the Beatles said: "give peace a chance".
Buen camino.

I enjoyed reading it. I think I would definitely prefer a winter Camino. Aside from the story of the deeper snow in the Pyrenees the pictures you show of snow are very mild conditions for me. My next Camino will be for march or April for sure. But I wouldn't walk earlier than that just because I can't make 30km + a day and with places being closed in winter, it sounds like that would be the case. May I suggest you add more paragraphs to your post? It's hard to read pages that are one long paragraph. A few breaks makes it easier on the eye for most people. Your writing style is very evocative and I enjoyed. I did laugh at the the first few sentences with the boys in the sled.
Thanks

Thanks for sharing your evocative winter memories and handsome photos of your recent camino. For many of us winter walking has always been the best; it may be cold and lonely but often it is very beautiful. ..."Mais où sont les neiges d'antan!"

Of all the words that could have been used to describe a joyous child - to choose some so vulgar? I stopped reading.....

Thank you to everyone for your feedback and I'm very sorry if I've offended anyone with my language. I should have mentioned in the original post which I've done now.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've just written an article on my winter camino in January and wanted to share it. I went from St Jean Pied de Port to Finisterre in 33 days, walking 1,012km (according to my phone).

Thanks to everyone here for giving me enough advice to get through it.

You can read it here https://www.asecondlife.co.uk/blog/in-search-of-suffering

Please note there are a few profanities in case you are easily offended. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on it.
Looking forward to reading it - have bookmarked it for later on.

Thank you to everyone for your feedback and I'm very sorry if I've offended anyone with my language. I should have mentioned in the original post which I've done now.
Wow! Thanks Rob,really enjoyed reading your story. Thought I would like to walk a winter Camino one day but now not so sure. Couldn't walk such long distances.

That was a wonderful read... thanks for sharing it... and great photos as well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.