• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The stuff we carried.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you Mrs. Susan and Mr. Rene for the information. I have read your blog entry. We have the same type of backpacks [Sirrus and Stratus] but without the water bladders. I like to carry individual water bottles. I don't leave home without the moisturizing cream for the feet (this is in reference to one of your comments in the blog entry). Again, thank you, y que Dios los Bendiga (God Bless you).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What did you use for a towel?
Hi ScooterB,
We had a very small quick dry towel which we never ended up using. Our accommodation was private rooms in gites, bed and breakfasts and some small hotels. We choose to rent towels where we knew we wouldn't be provided a towel with the basic room rate.
Overall it was a bit more expensive than staying in communal gites and carrying a towel but it was the way we chose to travel.
Susan and René.

Our accommodation was private rooms in gites, bed and breakfasts and some small hotels.

Susan and Rene, thank you

I am absolutely fascinated by your blog as I intend to start for Le Puy in the first week in April. Your signature photo is stunning.

I looked in vain at your pack list for a sleeping bag. Then I recalled your accommodation arrangements and suspect you had tops sheets and/or blankets as required.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did not carry "shower shoes" or flip flops for the shower. Never missed them and rarely saw anyone else wearing footwear in the showers.

This forum was a wealth of information as we planned our trip October 2015 for the Le Puy route.
I wanted to share our packing list.
Also the blog entry that we created for packing with pictures:
http://renesusan2015.blogspot.ca/2015/09/preparation-packing.html
Susan and Rene.
Thanks so much for sharing. 2 questions: if you don't mind me asking, what were the daily pads for, and you didn't take any shower shoes/flip flops. I am trying to decide about Tevas because I thought they would be good for shower shoes and to wear in the evenings, but I am worried about being cold with the low due to be around 40F.
Thanks!

Hi Janet,
Thank you for reading our blog!
We didn't bring flip-flop/shower shoes because of our choice of accommodation: private rooms in gites, bed and breakfasts and small hotels.
Wet Tevas take a while to dry. Also they are quite heavy.
The daily pads are for feminine cleanliness. We found that there were very few toilets on the Le Puy route and so I mostly urinated outdoors (away from the trail). If you use toilet paper, then it should be carried to the next garbage or toilet. This requires a plastic bag. I wasn't willing to use toilet paper and carry it out, nor was I willing to litter (there is so much toilet paper on the trail), so I used a daily mini pad. I have lots of outdoor experience and I've found that this way works best for me.
Susan.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've tried to find those post walking boots on the Merrell website without success, what do Merrell call them please?

This forum was a wealth of information as we planned our trip October 2015 for the Le Puy route.
I wanted to share our packing list.
Also the blog entry that we created for packing with pictures:
http://renesusan2015.blogspot.ca/2015/09/preparation-packing.html
Susan and Rene.

Hi! How did you resupply small necessary items--like Kleenex, handiwipes, TP, hand lotion, Advil, etc. ? Do shops/stores carry little travel sizes of everything, or did you have to purchase larger quantities, keep what you needed, and toss the rest? Or, should I just plan to carry what I need for the whole trip, knowing my pack will lighten along the way? Thanks for any advice!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi! How did you resupply small necessary items--like Kleenex, handiwipes, TP, hand lotion, Advil, etc. ? Do shops/stores carry little travel sizes of everything, or did you have to purchase larger quantities, keep what you needed, and toss the rest?
Yes, stores have those things - after all, 250,000 pilgrims pass through those towns every year! Shopping in a foreign store is part of the travel adventure. I like to carry enough for a week at a time.

Yes, stores have those things - after all, 250,000 pilgrims pass through those towns every year! Shopping in a foreign store is part of the travel adventure. I like to carry enough for a week at a time.

Thanks! This will definitely help me with my planning. I leave in just a few months!

Wet Tevas take a while to dry. Also they are quite heavy.
The daily pads are for feminine cleanliness. We found that there were very few toilets on the Le Puy route and so I mostly urinated outdoors (away from the trail). If you use toilet paper, then it should be carried to the next garbage or toilet. This requires a plastic bag. I wasn't willing to use toilet paper and carry it out, nor was I willing to litter (there is so much toilet paper on the trail), so I used a daily mini pad. I have lots of outdoor experience and I've found that this way works best for me.
Susan.
BRAVO!!!!! On both counts, but especially on not using loo paper for the little peedrops. Plus if you get blisters on tje bottom of your feet they help for comfort and gathering liquid.

Hi! How did you resupply small necessary items--like Kleenex, handiwipes, TP, hand lotion, Advil, etc. ? Do shops/stores carry little travel sizes of everything, or did you have to purchase larger quantities, keep what you needed, and toss the rest? Or, should I just plan to carry what I need for the whole trip, knowing my pack will lighten along the way? Thanks for any advice!
You do not need kleenex, or hand wipes. That is what your clothes are for. o_O Hand lotion? This is the camino. Leave kt at home and drizzle a few drops of olive oil at linch and dinner. Painkillers? The most common shop in Spain is the drugstore, often without a prescription and at ridiculous prices. This being said, apparently the "advil" in Spain in
3 times the dosis it is in the US, so watch your tummy.

You do not need kleenex, or hand wipes. That is what your clothes are for. o_O Hand lotion? This is the camino. Leave kt at home and drizzle a few drops of olive oil at linch and dinner. Painkillers? The most common shop in Spain is the drugstore, often without a prescription and at ridiculous prices. This being said, apparently the "advil" in Spain in
3 times the dosis it is in the US, so watch your tummy.

I agree with everything you said!
I do carry a handkerchief for peeing and wash it out each night.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You're lucky you didn't come home with a nasty gift of fungus. lol!

Nope. I've traveled a lot and camped a lot and it's never happened to me or any of my traveling companions. How common is this problem?

Hi Dee Bright,
We had planned on carrying everything we needed so we made a small kit of essentials. We used very little of some of it: Purel once, 2 Tylenols, a couple of band-aids, toilet paper once. We did not use the duct tape, safety pins, sewing kit, alcohol wipes, or packs of tissues (although we're glad we had them with us). We used up the rest: shampoo, toothpaste, floss. We had brought too much sunscreen but we used a surprising amount of it given that it was October.
I did not plan for face cream but I bought a small tube of it in Le Puy just before we left. Not a beauty issue, a dryness issue.
I agree with C clearly, it is fun to shop in foreign stores. In smaller towns in France the little grocery store is very well stocked with whatever you may need.
As for buying larger quantities and tossing the rest: yes. Just don't thrown it in the garbage, find someone to give it to. I left something with one of the volunteers at the abbey in Conques and she said she'd put it in the first aid/emergency kit.
Susan and René.

Nope. I've traveled a lot and camped a lot and it's never happened to me or any of my traveling companions. How common is this problem?

It's very common, especially in dorm showers where they may not be sanitized after each use:

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/contagious-skin-diseases/athlete-s-foot-how-to-prevent

It is also NOT simple to get rid of once you have it.
It is a fungal infection and is a type of ringworm.
If you haven't picked it up, you are just lucky, imo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.