Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Sudarium of Oviedo, or Shroud of Oviedo,

Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
In normal years, I'm informed, the Sudarium is made available for viewing on only three days each year. One of those days is the Feast of the Holy Cross -- September 14th. Now, I'm determined to return to Spain in September, and I'd gladly structure my walk around seeing it, if possible.

Anyone actually done that? Seen the Sudarium on September 14th? How easy/hard/simple/stressful was it? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not directly answering your question, but the Sudarium (cloth) is in the room of relics at the cathedral, in an ancient box with the photo of the relic above the box. It is protected by glass, and for those pilgrims who are interested, there was a prie-dieu in front of it for persons to venerate the relic even though it wasn't out for direct viewing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Sudarium is the headcloth and would have been separate to the Shroud. Gospel of St John, chapter 20 verse 7.
Interesting research continues........☺

Not directly answering your question, but the Sudarium (cloth) is in the room of relics at the cathedral, in an ancient box with the photo of the relic above the box. It is protected by glass, and for those pilgrims who are interested, there was a prie-dieu in front of it for persons to venerate the relic even though it wasn't out for direct viewing.
Yes, I saw it in 2009 on an odd day in mid-November, nothing to do with any major or special religious feast day. With stamped credential (I am also a senior citizen, so it might have been that discount or an additional one- don't remember how handled), there was a minimal fee of 2 or 3 euros to ascend a staircase and look at the cloth.
I was very moved at seeing it and in late July 2011, I returned with my spouse and a long-time friend to see it-- same deal-- ascend a staircase to the room of relics for viewing after paying a small fee.

In normal years, I'm informed, the Sudarium is made available for viewing on only three days eash year. One of those days is the Feast of the Holy Cross -- September 14th. Now, I'm determined to return to Spain in September, and I'd gladly structure my walk around seeing it, if possible.

Anyone actually done that? Seen the Sudarium on September 14th? How easy/hard/simple/stressful was it? Any suggestions?

Rappahannock Rev. Thanks for your post. I was aware that there are many relics in Oviedo but not that the Sudarium was one of those relics. Good info in this thread! I too hope to be on a Comino route in Aug/Sept next year. Hopefully starting in Lourdes. I'll have to see if I can work out a side trip to Oviedo. Also seems we are neighbors. I'm guessing I'm a little north of you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In normal years, I'm informed, the Sudarium is made available for viewing on only three days eash year. One of those days is the Feast of the Holy Cross -- September 14th. Now, I'm determined to return to Spain in September, and I'd gladly structure my walk around seeing it, if possible.

I also would like to view the Sudarium. Do you where to find information about viewing on September 14th or the other two dates?

I also would like to view the Sudarium. Do you where to find information about viewing on September 14th or the other two dates?
I don't know any specifics for Oviedo but the usual procedure in many places, as far as I know, is that a precious relic is unveiled or shown during mass and then displayed in the cathedral or church for the faithful to venerate during the day.

Here is a photo of the exhibition of the Sudarium in the Cathedral of Oviedo on 14 September 2020:

58267171--624x415.JPG

Source: Exhibición del Santo Sudario

These two links (one from a news article of 2019 and the other from the Oviedo Cathedral's blog of 2020) seem to indicate that the Sudarium is unveiled during mass on the evening of 14 September and then on public display in the Cámera Santa until 21 September when mass in honour of San Mateo is celebrated and the Sudarium is displayed for the faithful again during mass.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This article, from August 2014, seems to indicate that thanks to better conservation procedures and conditions, the Sudarium of Oviedo is indeed displayed during a total of three weeks per year, instead of only three days as in previous years, namely during Semana Santa, during the week following Easter and during the week 14-21 September. This article also says that during this week, the faithful can visit from 10 am until 6 pm to pray before the Sudarium and to obtain the indulgence.

Times need to be checked for 2021, obviously, but at least this provides a general idea of practical arrangements.

Last edited:
Yes, I saw it in 2009 on an odd day in mid-November, nothing to do with any major or special religious feast day. With stamped credential (I am also a senior citizen, so it might have been that discount or an additional one- don't remember how handled), there was a minimal fee of 2 or 3 euros to ascend a staircase and look at the cloth.
I was very moved at seeing it and in late July 2011, I returned with my spouse and a long-time friend to see it-- same deal-- ascend a staircase to the room of relics for viewing after paying a small fee.
When I was there last year I thought that I saw a sign that said that it was a replica of sudarium that was on display.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
By chance, I unwittingly stumbled into Oviedo on September 14th and went to confession. When my confessor learned that I was a priest, he explained the significance of the day and invited me to concelebrate. There were another 20 or so priests as well. I was able to join with them, and the faithful, in reverencing the sudarium. It was so very moving. I took the following pictures.

pictures. IMG_3171.JPG IMG_3168.JPGIMG_3169.JPGIMG_3170.JPG

By chance, I unwittingly stumbled into Oviedo on September 14th and went to confession. When my confessor learned that I was a priest, he explained the significance of the day and invited me to concelebrate. There were another 20 or so priests as well. I was able to join with them, and the faithful, in reverencing the sudarium. It was so very moving. I took the following pictures.

pictures. View attachment 88016 View attachment 88013
Wonderful coincidence. Was it open to the general public given the Covid-19 pandemic? And do you know if it was on display for the week or just the 14 and 21?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In normal years, I'm informed, the Sudarium is made available for viewing on only three days each year. One of those days is the Feast of the Holy Cross -- September 14th. Now, I'm determined to return to Spain in September, and I'd gladly structure my walk around seeing it, if possible.

My wife and I are planning our camino for 2021 and will set our schedule to coincide with the veneration on September 14. With any luck we will see you there.

Wonderful coincidence. Was it open to the general public given the Covid-19 pandemic? And do you know if it was on display for the week or just the 14 and 21?
My visit was back in 2017. Sorry about leaving that out. I think the Sudarium was only available during the scheduled mass times. But I am not sure. It’s not the kind of thing that you would simply leave out.

Great info, Thank you all. I plan to visit in September from Minnesota. I am a professor at a Catholic college. I am hopeful for information that will make the journey more beneficial and joyful. I plan to document the experience, and possibly interview experts and keepers of the Sudarium for a novel related to the relic. My research is about the feasibility 2022-2024 artificial intelligence-guided genetic testing on material from the Sudarium.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am also are planning a Camino for 2021 and will set my schedule to coincide with the viewing September 14-21 (the octave).

The information I have now is it will be on display on Feast of the Triumph of the Cross on 14 September, and its octave on 21 September.

Hoping to get better information as the time gets closer on when the actual Sudarium is on display.

We too will be doing the Del Norte on Sept 2021 (God-willing!), do you have any link that you can share so we can accurately schedule our visit to the Sudarium? thanks in advance

Original Poster here! When planning my September 2021 walk I completely forgot about seeing the Sudarium -- something high on my relic-gawking list.

I'm now locked into a late-on-September 14 arrival at MAD Barajas. Close, but no cigar, as they used to say! Can't see any way to slip in a visit to Oviedo this year. (Big sigh....)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Original Poster here! When planning my September 2021 walk I completely forgot about seeing the Sudarium -- something high on my relic-gawking list.

I'm now locked into a late-on-September 14 arrival at MAD Barajas. Close, but no cigar, as they used to say! Can't see any way to slip in a visit to Oviedo this year. (Big sigh....)
I had originally planned our Camino for May of 2020, nuf said. I re-planned it for September 2021 with a plan to see the Sudarium at the end of our Camino but with things just starting to open we didn't want to spend months worrying about how Covid-19 will or could impact our trip. So now we are finalizing our walk in April 2022, still part of the extended Holy Year. We will start our trip in Oviedo on Good Friday when the Sudarium is on display, then travel to Portugal for our actual Camino. I have seen the Sudarium picture and silver plated box it is held in at the cathedral in Oviedo and certainly don't want to miss seeing the actual cloth. You may still have some hope since it will also be on display September 21, if you can swing it that is.

Post #19 above by @Owensr23 says it will also be on display on September 21. With good luck you may still be able to it.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back