• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The sweetest version of the Cathedral.

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
Time of past OR future Camino
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
The sweetest version of the Cathedral
The Compostela confectioner Manuel de la Iglesia settled in O Carballiño prepares sculptures in chocolate or sugar

MIGUEL VILLAR

MARIA COBAS
OURENSE / THE VOICE 05/12/2018 05:00 H
With fourteen years and the primary finished, a friend of his sister told him that in the bakery where he worked they were looking for an apprentice. And there was Manuel de la Iglesia (Santiago de Compostela, 1956) to see if they caught him. There was luck. He thus discovered an occupation of which there was no tradition in his family, but which reported earnings of 400 pesetas a week, which was not bad for a teenager at that time. It ended the summer and Manuel did not want to leave it. So he talked about the subject in his house, and he stayed in the bakery to work. And to learn. Forty-six years later, the artisan (who for decades lives in O Carballiño, where he runs the Royal bakery) says he enjoys the craft. « Gust me e vívoo. Fascinate me facer cousins. And I enjoy when you see or work and congratulates me , "he says . It does not refer to the products sold on a daily basis in the bakery (which also), but to the large-scale pieces in chocolate or sugar that he makes in his free time. They are reproductions of emblematic buildings, such as the Giralda of Seville, the Hostal dos Reis Católicos, the monasteries of Oseira and Carboeiro, As Burgas, Disneyland Paris or the temple of A Veracruz carballiñés. Almost always with chocolate as the main ingredient. More than two and a half metersThe latest addition to the list is the Cathedral of Santiago, which has opted for sugar as raw material. In total, he needed 380 kilos to shape a scale reproduction of 2.63 meters high by 1.30 wide and one of the bottom of the Compostela temple.You can count the kilos of sugar and the final size, but not the working hours. « Moitas », recognizes De la Iglesia, in a hobby that occupied him all the free hours he was scratching between the end of March and the beginning of October. " Fágoo in tempos mortos, all in an artisanal way," he says . But of course, as in all artistic work, it does not always go at the same pace . "One day that you can boast a little work, but one day that you do not get a disaster and you have to stop. Hai daughters who have to repeat because they misplaced me measures. It is necessary to repeat that you refacer, because once a hard and complicated move", Add. He explains that this time he used sugar as a raw material because it hardens fast in summer (on the other hand, winter humidity does not like it, unlike chocolate). " Use sugar glas, which is eaten farina, and despois leva unhas fucks of xelatina," he explains, with which he makes the dough that he then models with his own hands. To use the pieces, use grease.

Doing the Cathedral forced him to make several visits to Compostela, which took the opportunity to take photographs that later guided him at work. " It is identical, cos details all: you apostles, you saints, to the stairway of entry ... ", proudly tells. He does not hide his satisfaction for having given shape to the Cathedral of his native town.In the Festa do PulpoDe la Iglesia is known for its large-scale pieces of chocolate, which not only shine in the shop window of its bakery, but are later tasted as a dessert at the Festa do Pulpo, on the same day that the title of the biggest lid in the world. He still does not know what he will do to surprise in the next edition of the month of August, but now is not the time to think about it. With Christmas the work in pastry intensifies, so the dead hours cease to exist. Wait after the Roscón de Reyes to start shuffling options, in a task that ensures to have the cooperation of his wife. Then, in the execution, he works alone. That's why, when he sees programs like the American King of Tarts, he dreams and compares himself. «That team was dyed, phago», He laughs. While his great team of collaborators does not arrive - yes for the transport; on this last occasion, he needed the help of eight people-, Manuel de la Iglesia enjoys showing his work to the public, which can be seen in the shop window of the Royal bakery in O Carballiño. For how long? At the moment it is not in a hurry to remove it, at least not until it has the next work, already in chocolate, ready to expose to the public.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That puts my birthday cake making into the shade...
and mine into 'the dark' rather than the shade. Such a gorgeous and complexly beautiful work of art. Thankyou to Bradypus for sharing this with us all. Cheers. Susanawee

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The sweetest version of the Cathedral
The Compostela confectioner Manuel de la Iglesia settled in O Carballiño prepares sculptures in chocolate or sugar

MIGUEL VILLAR

MARIA COBAS
OURENSE / THE VOICE 05/12/2018 05:00 H
With fourteen years and the primary finished, a friend of his sister told him that in the bakery where he worked they were looking for an apprentice. And there was Manuel de la Iglesia (Santiago de Compostela, 1956) to see if they caught him. There was luck. He thus discovered an occupation of which there was no tradition in his family, but which reported earnings of 400 pesetas a week, which was not bad for a teenager at that time. It ended the summer and Manuel did not want to leave it. So he talked about the subject in his house, and he stayed in the bakery to work. And to learn. Forty-six years later, the artisan (who for decades lives in O Carballiño, where he runs the Royal bakery) says he enjoys the craft. « Gust me e vívoo. Fascinate me facer cousins. And I enjoy when you see or work and congratulates me , "he says . It does not refer to the products sold on a daily basis in the bakery (which also), but to the large-scale pieces in chocolate or sugar that he makes in his free time. They are reproductions of emblematic buildings, such as the Giralda of Seville, the Hostal dos Reis Católicos, the monasteries of Oseira and Carboeiro, As Burgas, Disneyland Paris or the temple of A Veracruz carballiñés. Almost always with chocolate as the main ingredient. More than two and a half metersThe latest addition to the list is the Cathedral of Santiago, which has opted for sugar as raw material. In total, he needed 380 kilos to shape a scale reproduction of 2.63 meters high by 1.30 wide and one of the bottom of the Compostela temple.You can count the kilos of sugar and the final size, but not the working hours. « Moitas », recognizes De la Iglesia, in a hobby that occupied him all the free hours he was scratching between the end of March and the beginning of October. " Fágoo in tempos mortos, all in an artisanal way," he says . But of course, as in all artistic work, it does not always go at the same pace . "One day that you can boast a little work, but one day that you do not get a disaster and you have to stop. Hai daughters who have to repeat because they misplaced me measures. It is necessary to repeat that you refacer, because once a hard and complicated move", Add. He explains that this time he used sugar as a raw material because it hardens fast in summer (on the other hand, winter humidity does not like it, unlike chocolate). " Use sugar glas, which is eaten farina, and despois leva unhas fucks of xelatina," he explains, with which he makes the dough that he then models with his own hands. To use the pieces, use grease.

Doing the Cathedral forced him to make several visits to Compostela, which took the opportunity to take photographs that later guided him at work. " It is identical, cos details all: you apostles, you saints, to the stairway of entry ... ", proudly tells. He does not hide his satisfaction for having given shape to the Cathedral of his native town.In the Festa do PulpoDe la Iglesia is known for its large-scale pieces of chocolate, which not only shine in the shop window of its bakery, but are later tasted as a dessert at the Festa do Pulpo, on the same day that the title of the biggest lid in the world. He still does not know what he will do to surprise in the next edition of the month of August, but now is not the time to think about it. With Christmas the work in pastry intensifies, so the dead hours cease to exist. Wait after the Roscón de Reyes to start shuffling options, in a task that ensures to have the cooperation of his wife. Then, in the execution, he works alone. That's why, when he sees programs like the American King of Tarts, he dreams and compares himself. «That team was dyed, phago», He laughs. While his great team of collaborators does not arrive - yes for the transport; on this last occasion, he needed the help of eight people-, Manuel de la Iglesia enjoys showing his work to the public, which can be seen in the shop window of the Royal bakery in O Carballiño. For how long? At the moment it is not in a hurry to remove it, at least not until it has the next work, already in chocolate, ready to expose to the public.

What, no photo... We need smell-o-vision too!

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.