• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Ten Commandments of The Camino

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
There are many articles offering tips for walking The Camino. This selection is one pilgrim’s views and I do not apologize for any you disagree with or for not including any you believe should be included. This is my Camino:

I. Thou Shalt Do Your Own Camino: This is a personal journey and you walk, ride, crawl for your own reasons. Walk 5k or 20k or 40k per day. There is no right or wrong. Follow your heart and soul.

II. Thou Shalt Not Judge Others: Just as this is your Camino, theirs is theirs. Big pack or no pack, 30 days or 1 day, 3000k or 10k. One man’s 40k day may be another’s 5k as there are many people on The Camino with health and other issues.

III. Thou Shalt Be Humble: Lose your ego. For many this is a life changing journey. For others a bucket list item or just a fun walk. The Camino has a Spirit and she loves humbleness and gratitude. Look for ways to be of service to other pilgrims and anyone else in need. For example; offer to carry the pack for a struggling fellow pilgrim, give a hug to someone who needs one, listen and be compassionate when a fellow pilgrim talks to you. Pick one day to give back to the Camino and carry a plastic garbage bag and pick up trash.

IV. Thou Shalt Not Overplan Your Camino: She will communicate with you via signs, people, animals, music, etc.. There are no coincidences on The Camino. Be alert. You may come across angels. Anything and everything is possible on The Camino. So be ready to veer from your plan because The Camino will provide what you need. Open your heart and she will show you your soul. The more you follow Commandment III the easier this will be.

V. Thou Shalt Open Up to Fellow Pilgrims: Of course if a Camino of solitude is your choice it is your Camino after all. However, the Camino is a special place and a key part of it’s magic are your fellow pilgrims. You will find that you keep seeing the same people and very likely The Camino wants you to connect. Get out of your comfort zone and just go introduce yourself to anyone who you have a feeling about or see more than once. By following this Commandment you will make lifelong friendships or more.

VI. Thou Shalt Start and End Wherever One Chooses: Many do The Camino in stages perhaps a week or two at a time and take years to complete it. Many start from St. Jean Pied de Port, others from Pamplona or Le Puy En Velay or Seville. Some Europeans start at their own homes. While many end at Santiago, some go on to Finisterre or Muxia at the edge of the world. Some believe if you are religious ending in Santiago is appropriate, but if you are spiritual walking on to the sea is special. A few do as the pilgrims did prior to the 1900’s and walk back home. Again there is no right or wrong.

VII. Thou Shalt Travel Light: While it is your choice the lighter your burden the easier it will be on you both physically and mentally. There are many writings on what to bring and not to bring.

VIII. Thou Shalt Stay Wherever Thy Chooses: From a tent, to a municipal auberge, to a 5 star Hotel. Remember it is your Camino. Though I agree with the purists that the auberge’s are special and put one in better position to connect with other pilgrims.

IX. Thou Shalt Not Obsess About Blisters: If you read any of the books various former Pilgrims have written, many mention suffering with blisters. Just as with traveling light there are many publications on how to deal with blisters. Focusing on prevention and applying some lubricant such as Vaseline is best but be prepared with compeed or your treatment of choice. Wear shoes or boots that YOU are comfortable with.

X. Thou Shalt Have Fun on The Camino: Perhaps for some the walk is long and arduous but for others including this peregrino it is pure joy. As you begin walking each day, concentrate on your breathing for ten to twenty minutes, in and out, to clear your mind of any worries and you will find yourself in a happy rhythm. After a long hard day, if a waiter places a whole bottle of vino tinto in front of you, drink and enjoy the company and conversation with fellow pilgrims. Don't take yourself too seriously or these Ten Commandments. The Camino shows you how precious the gift of life is. Make the most of it.

Buen Camino! Ultreia!

If you enjoyed "The Ten Commandments" please do open the link on my blog to view the photos which are part of the story:

http://wp.me/p7rrCv-qC

From the blog of www.thesenioradventurer.com

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And in answer to the inevitable question about which of the Ten is the most important, the answer must be:
You shall love the Camino with all your heart and the Power that inspires so many to walk it; and a second is like it:
You shall love the peregrinos and those who minister to them along the way as you love yourself.
Six weeks til my own start.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My favorite is #10, because if you can't smile every once in a while, why are ya breathing? Come on! No body gets out of this alive!
Each morning as I drive to work I wait to see it, that thing that will make me smile and be thankful that I have another day. It always appears! It's different every day but it will be there waiting for me, and I smile and say out loud "Thank You! Good Morning!"
Try it.
It's a wonderful way to keep that Camino feeling in your every day life.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My favorite is #10, because if you can't smile every once in a while, why are ya breathing? Come on! No body gets out of this alive!
Each morning as I drive to work I wait to see it, that thing that will make me smile and be thankful that I have another day. It always appears! It's different every day but it will be there waiting for me, and I smile and say out loud "Thank You! Good Morning!"
Try it.
It's a wonderful way to keep that Camino feeling in your every day life.
Coleen that is a wonderful way to keep The Camino spirit. You might enjoy my post "How To Keep The Camino With You After Leaving It" at:
http://www.thesenioradventurer.com/how-to-keep-the-camino-with-you-after-leaving-it-2/

There are many articles offering tips for walking The Camino. This selection is one pilgrim’s views and I do not apologize for any you disagree with or for not including any you believe should be included. This is my Camino:

I. Thou Shalt Do Your Own Camino: This is a personal journey and you walk, ride, crawl for your own reasons. Walk 5k or 20k or 40k per day. There is no right or wrong. Follow your heart and soul.

II. Thou Shalt Not Judge Others: Just as this is your Camino, theirs is theirs. Big pack or no pack, 30 days or 1 day, 3000k or 10k. One man’s 40k day may be another’s 5k as there are many people on The Camino with health and other issues.

III. Thou Shalt Be Humble: Lose your ego. For many this is a life changing journey. For others a bucket list item or just a fun walk. The Camino has a Spirit and she loves humbleness and gratitude. Look for ways to be of service to other pilgrims and anyone else in need. For example; offer to carry the pack for a struggling fellow pilgrim, give a hug to someone who needs one, listen and be compassionate when a fellow pilgrim talks to you. Pick one day to give back to the Camino and carry a plastic garbage bag and pick up trash.

IV. Thou Shalt Not Overplan Your Camino: She will communicate with you via signs, people, animals, music, etc.. There are no coincidences on The Camino. Be alert. You may come across angels. Anything and everything is possible on The Camino. So be ready to veer from your plan because The Camino will provide what you need. Open your heart and she will show you your soul. The more you follow Commandment III the easier this will be.

V. Thou Shalt Open Up to Fellow Pilgrims: Of course if a Camino of solitude is your choice it is your Camino after all. However, the Camino is a special place and a key part of it’s magic are your fellow pilgrims. You will find that you keep seeing the same people and very likely The Camino wants you to connect. Get out of your comfort zone and just go introduce yourself to anyone who you have a feeling about or see more than once. By following this Commandment you will make lifelong friendships or more.

VI. Thou Shalt Start and End Wherever One Chooses: Many do The Camino in stages perhaps a week or two at a time and take years to complete it. Many start from St. Jean Pied de Port, others from Pamplona or Le Puy En Velay or Seville. Some Europeans start at their own homes. While many end at Santiago, some go on to Finisterre or Muxia at the edge of the world. Some believe if you are religious ending in Santiago is appropriate, but if you are spiritual walking on to the sea is special. A few do as the pilgrims did prior to the 1900’s and walk back home. Again there is no right or wrong.

VII. Thou Shalt Travel Light: While it is your choice the lighter your burden the easier it will be on you both physically and mentally. There are many writings on what to bring and not to bring.

VIII. Thou Shalt Stay Wherever Thy Chooses: From a tent, to a municipal auberge, to a 5 star Hotel. Remember it is your Camino. Though I agree with the purists that the auberge’s are special and put one in better position to connect with other pilgrims.

IX. Thou Shalt Not Obsess About Blisters: If you read any of the books various former Pilgrims have written, many mention suffering with blisters. Just as with traveling light there are many publications on how to deal with blisters. Focusing on prevention and applying some lubricant such as Vaseline is best but be prepared with compeed or your treatment of choice. Wear shoes or boots that YOU are comfortable with.

X. Thou Shalt Have Fun on The Camino: Perhaps for some the walk is long and arduous but for others including this peregrino it is pure joy. As you begin walking each day, concentrate on your breathing for ten to twenty minutes, in and out, to clear your mind of any worries and you will find yourself in a happy rhythm. After a long hard day, if a waiter places a whole bottle of vino tinto in front of you, drink and enjoy the company and conversation with fellow pilgrims. Don't take yourself too seriously or these Ten Commandments. The Camino shows you how precious the gift of life is. Make the most of it.

Buen Camino! Ultreia!

If you enjoyed "The Ten Commandments" please do open the link on my blog to view the photos which are part of the story:

Awesome, Gracias!

Favourites: #1 and #2, and of course #10

Buen Camino! Ultreia!

Most excellent sir :)))

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think number ten should be number 1... otherwise what's the point of all the rest of it?;)

Great list, all very good advice to aspire to.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm afraid I'm going to take this a bit seriously -- sorry !!! :eek:

Sorry, but this doesn't cut it as universal one-size-fits-all advice -- MANY people only truly become pilgrims after abandoning their own ideas or conceptions of how they want to "do" "their" Camino, whereas they may absolutely need to have their hearts and souls changed or even transformed by the Camino, rather than "following" them.

And yes, there most certainly are both right and wrong, and their existence in "real life" doesn't suddenly just "vanish" on the Camino, in some kind of permanent Carnival Time. I'm quite sure that many who may begin their Camino with a deflated sense of right and wrong may find it reinvigorated on the Way of St James, and many other Pilgrim Ways. The return to simplicity that the Camino can provide is a powerful incentive for some to meditate on the rights and wrongs in their own lives, and many can come to the realisation that submission of the self to the disciplines of the Way, in the manner of a spiritual retreat with its rules and structures, can be a powerful means as much as to reflect on their own lives as to become genuinely present in the Camino as pilgrims, for both themselves and others.

The encouragement of this is "my Camino" and I'll do it "my Way", Paul Anka/Frank Sinatra -wise, also doesn't just potentially hinder the Camino in its spiritual dimension ; even pragmatically, it's our Camino, not mine, yours, hers, or his. This is something we do in a Community -- even, I can tell you, in the most extreme cases where you're the only pilgrim for dozens of miles around, a situation I've been in more than once ; none of us can make our Way alone, and to try, by saying that it's "my Camino", can be a terrible mistake towards yourself, towards your fellow pilgrims and hospitaleros, and even towards the community at large in the lands that you're walking through.

The excellent mademoiselle Warcollier, one of the Camino Founders of the 1960s, wrote wisely that "the only important thing in the foot pilgrimage is to reach Santiago" -- now, she wrote that long before the advent of busing and taxiing, but yes, again, there is right and wrong, as BTW your own "commandments" try to suggest :p , and her words are an expression of what is right. Starting wherever you choose is one thing, and you should certainly choose wisely rather than "like everyone else", but as a pilgrimage it only makes sense if you do indeed walk to Santiago, regardless of whether you might feel the need to do so in stages over several years, and entirely regardless of SJPP as "the start".

Walking further than Santiago, as a part of the return home, even symbolically, to Fisterra or Muxia or wherever is always a good idea of course, but the fashion that has arisen in recent years of deliberately doing only a section with no purpose of completion simply is not the pilgrimage, and so it is not the Camino, but it's just another hiking vacation on a particularly overcrowded hiking trail. This doesn't make it "wrong", but it's hardly fit to purpose, and at the same time if the hiking is the basis of what you're seeking, there are literally thousands of hiking trails to choose from !

Also, as for "starting" and "ending", I think you're actually wrong, sorry -- if you always keep the arrival at Santiago in mind, really the start and the end of your pilgrimage will always be the same : home. You're a pilgrim from the moment you set out of your front door, until the moment you open it again upon your return home, provided that your spiritual destination at Santiago has been reached after the Way, including of course for those who are doing it in stages. Of course the fullness of this is expressed by walking on one go to Santiago from home, but this is not at all necessary for the realisation that your pilgrimage starts and ends there, and nowhere else, even if the walking might only begin in some completely different place. For whilst Santiago may be the spiritual destination, the arrival back home is in the very heart of the purpose of the pilgrimage and of the pilgrim's journey.

We're all just taking a walk back home, the long way 'round.

X. Thou Shalt Have Fun on The Camino: Perhaps for some the walk is long and arduous but for others including this peregrino it is pure joy.

Really, I'd just say : X. Be Thyself. Don't try and be some kind of fantasy pilgrim, neither the self-punishment of misplaced idealism nor the rushed taxi-hopping of "my camino, my way" are what the pilgrimage is about, but in the honest and simple joys of being simply with yourself, and simply with others. Warts 'n' all, and blisters too. And yes, fun !! Surrender to the Camino, don't try and impose on it, and the good humour will be found.

Because there is a bit more to it than just the fun.
Agreed, a lot more to it than just the fun. And while in my experience it's not fun the whole time, I don't know that I'm enough of a massochist to spend 4-8 weeks of my life doing something which is so intense and demanding without the fun...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Buen Camino! Ultreia!

Thanks. Love these!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Buen Camino! Ultreia!

"She"?

Buen Camino! Ultreia!

So so true.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Buen Camino! Ultreia!

Keep it to 3 walk eat sleep

On #8: If you choose tent, get information about the Spanish laws. "Wild camping" is illegal. Not hard to get away with it, but still illegal. Last year near our albergue, a fellow put his tent in the village churchyard, and another on the mountain above the village. Neither got into any trouble, but I wouldn't recommend doing it without approval from someone who has the right to approve.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am putting together a little booklet for some people I know who are doing the Camino for the first time. I would like to have a section on etiquette and was interested in hearing form Pilgrims what you would include in the Ten Commandments of Doing the Camino. e.g. A pilgrim is grateful ; A pilgrim respects personal space.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.