• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The time has come at last... THis month.

DOver

Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid to San Salvador to Norte
In 30 days (April 30), I'll leave Australia to fly to Madrid to begin my Camino on May 3rd. After 6 months of planning, revising, and re-re-vising many times, I have a plan. I'll walk the Camino Madrid to Sahagun, then head off-track to Aguilar de Campoo, where I'll pick up the Olvidado and back to La Robla. There, I'll join the San Salvador to Oviedo. From Oviedo, I'll take the section north to Norte and around the top until I reach the Camino dos Faros and down to Finisterre.
I know, in some eyes, I'm a 'tourist' and not a pilgrim. I'm not concerned with titles... I call myself a Caminante (Wanderer), anyway. All I'll say about my journey is that I believe the Camino has decided my journey. Without boring details... each step in my planning has been an exercise in accepting what was pushed to me. Choices made that didn't fit the way became difficult while those that have led me became easy. Signs and omens (in which I believe) helped me choose.
I'm not meant to go to Santiago. I felt that, almost from the start. I AM meant to go to Muxia. Places that have no foundation in a 'Camino', such as Uruana (Villa del Libros) have become important to me... not simply as sight-seeing attractions. I'm meant to go there.
Other decisions have been made that I can't explain. From the first, I've known that I'll take no photos or write any posts during my journey. I don't know why, but that is what I'm meant to do. I've studied the route, but will not use an app or gps. If my route contains unexpected 'detours', they will be for a reason and I'll look for those reasons, along the way.
The other thing of which I have believed from the beginning is that something will happen for me along my journey. That feeling has not waivered.
So, Que comience la jornada.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In 30 days (April 30), I'll leave Australia to fly to Madrid to begin my Camino on May 3rd. After 6 months of planning, revising, and re-re-vising many times, I have a plan. I'll walk the Camino Madrid to Sahagun, then head off-track to Aguilar de Campoo, where I'll pick up the Olvidado and back to La Robla. There, I'll join the San Salvador to Oviedo. From Oviedo, I'll take the section north to Norte and around the top until I reach the Camino dos Faros and down to Finisterre.
I know, in some eyes, I'm a 'tourist' and not a pilgrim. I'm not concerned with titles... I call myself a Caminante (Wanderer), anyway. All I'll say about my journey is that I believe the Camino has decided my journey. Without boring details... each step in my planning has been an exercise in accepting what was pushed to me. Choices made that didn't fit the way became difficult while those that have led me became easy. Signs and omens (in which I believe) helped me choose.
I'm not meant to go to Santiago. I felt that, almost from the start. I AM meant to go to Muxia. Places that have no foundation in a 'Camino', such as Uruana (Villa del Libros) have become important to me... not simply as sight-seeing attractions. I'm meant to go there.
Other decisions have been made that I can't explain. From the first, I've known that I'll take no photos or write any posts during my journey. I don't know why, but that is what I'm meant to do. I've studied the route, but will not use an app or gps. If my route contains unexpected 'detours', they will be for a reason and I'll look for those reasons, along the way.
The other thing of which I have believed from the beginning is that something will happen for me along my journey. That feeling has not waivered.
So, Que comience la jornada.
Well done! Walk soft and stay safe. Via con Dios.

Samarkand.

With all the mundane tasks completed, decisions made about packs and poles, boots and shirts... I fill my days preparing. Every day, I walk to train my body. And, also to train my mind. The thing that will carry me through the hard yards is my imagination.
About a kilometer from my front gate is a place where I stop and take a photo. At exactly the same spot every day. Then, I not only think about what I'm looking at, but what I'm seeing.
What is it that's different today from tomorrow?
As I pause and ponder, bits of poetry come.., or lines from a song... or a scene from a well-liked movie.
Today it was this:
March31.jpg

As I stood, the lines of a poem came to me... Robert Frost- Nothing Gold Can Stay.

Earlier in the week, I took another photo... of a moth in the road:

Moth.jpg

When I saw that moth, I knew I was ready to walk Spain... all the parts of the Camino... the good parts and the 'bad'. I knew I'd find the beauty and magic in all the journey.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back