• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Top Ten Things I've Learned from this Forum

Two years ago I kissed my son Colin goodbye at the airport and watched him and his 15 lb backpack disappear into a security line. He was on his way to the Mexican border to begin walking the Pacific Crest Trail. 2,700 miles and four months later, he made it all the way to Canada.

For a long time, through years of working, raising children, and making a home, I dreamed of the freedom and adventure of that kind of very long walk. Once this urge to strap on a pack and wander up a trail gets in your head, it's hard to shake. Colin's example inspired me to finally quit dreaming and start walking, and on April 15th I'll be disappearing into an airport security line wearing my own 15 lb backpack.

If I do manage to hike from the French border to Finisterre, it will be because of what I've learned from all of you. You've set me up for success, and if I don't make it all the way, it won't be for lack of knowledge. You've provided an education in how to walk a pilgrimage. After months of reading and note-taking, here's a summary of what I've learned. I'm sure many of you have read it all before, but it's been a help to me to gather all my slips of paper, and assemble some of what you've taught me in one place. Here are the top ten lessons I've taken away from the forum:

1. Go light. Very light. Don't pack your fears and what-ifs. You can find anything you didn't bring, and wish you had, along the way.

2. Foot problems are not inevitable. Sock liners, wool socks, a foot lubricant, airing out your feet during the day, and changing socks frequently all help prevent blisters. Whether sandals, trailrunners or boots, make sure your shoes are comfortable, well-tested, and larger than you ordinarily wear.

3. Dress in wool or synthetic layers: short sleeve base, long sleeve base, fleece and/or wind block, waterproof jacket or poncho. Add three pairs of socks, a pair of pants or a skirt, maybe leggings, buff and sun hat, two pairs of underwear, and you've got what you need.

4. When you are a guest in someone else's country, learn at least enough of their language to be polite, order a meal, and ask directions. Try not to judge your host's customs, habits, or how they run their country. Don't litter.

5. Walk your own walk. If you want to take two months and allow time to paint, meander, and linger in bars (like me!), that's fine. If you want to speedwalk your way to Santiago in three weeks, or go in a tour group, or take a taxi up the hills, that's fine, too.

6. Walk your own pace. Trying to keep up with new friends can get you hurt. (See #2)

7. Tourists expect, pilgrims are thankful. Be patient with bed-racers, snorers, early risers, window closers, window openers, hiking pole clackers, plastic bag rustlers, and bikers who don't ring their bells.

8. The Camino is not a Disneyland adventure park. There's no guarantee that you won't encounter an injury, illness, or a bad person. Take responsibility for yourself, and look out for others.

9. Plan and prepare--but when you begin your walk, leave your expectations behind. Accept that anything can happen, and will happen. The unexpected is the definition of adventure--no matter how lost, lonely or uncomfortable it may feel at the time.

10. You're never too old to learn new skills, challenge your body, take a risk, or set off on a 600 mile walk.

I know I'm forgetting something. I'd love to hear what you first-timers would add as the most important things you've learned from this forum!
Here is a very important one. Only use cash machines at a bank that is open. If it eats your card you won’t have to wait to get it back. Being Canadian I found Santander Bank reliable and never had a problem with debit or credit cards.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Here is a very important one. Only use cash machines at a bank that is open. If it eats your card you won’t have to wait to get it back.
A bank ATM ate my wife's card as the ATM decided to reboot during the transaction, the bank told us the card had to be returned to our own bank and would not give it to her. We were then down to one card.

A bank ATM ate my wife's card as the ATM decided to reboot during the transaction, the bank told us the card had to be returned to our own bank and would not give it to her. We were then down to one card.
Yikes! That’s a new one.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back