• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"The Trip to Spain" - Coogan & Brydon

dclink

Time of past OR future Camino
Ponferrada-Sarria (2013), St. Jean-SdC (2015)
Hi all, I hope you won't mind indulging my curiosity. In the 2017 film "The Trip to Spain", Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon cross over the path of the Camino in a car, passing over a very distinctive trestle bridge as they do so. I cannot figure out where this is. Based on the route they are taking from Atxondo to Sos del Rey Catolico, I am assuming that this is somewhere east of Logroño. Can anyone help me identify this?

Attachments

• IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 209
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all, I hope you won't mind indulging my curiosity. In the 2017 film "The Trip to Spain", Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon cross over the path of the Camino in a car, passing over a very distinctive trestle bridge as they do so. I cannot figure out where this is. Based on the route they are taking from Atxondo to Sos del Rey Catolico, I am assuming that this is somewhere east of Logroño. Can anyone help me identify this?
An interesting question! I have walked the Camino twice, but have no recollection of the bridge in the photograph. I so look forward to an answer.
Regards, sherpakev

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Reminds me of the bridge over the Rio Aragon at Sanguesa. Camino Aragones.

Give the man a cigar! Sanguesa is spot on.

Here is the bridge on Google street view, as shown in image 1295.

However, the car seems to be going the wrong way if its destination is Sos de Rey Catolico.

Second photo, however, is somewhere else - not near the bridge.

I will continue looking. Or I may get a life.

Last edited:
As for photo 2.... When you exit the city of Sanguesa heading west on the CA, you cross the Rio Aragones via the bridge (photo 1) and then, if memory serves, you almost immediately make a right turn onto a broad north-bound road (photo 2).

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nope, not there.

Take another look at the Google Maps street view insert you posted in Item 4 above. ... March off the bridge and around the corner to the right, and there you are. ... Look for the chain under the Camino sign, and the red zebra crosswalk. ...The two photos had to have been taken just seconds apart. ... Not trying to be argumentative, just having fun remembering.... (And thanks for the cigar! If we ever meet, the first round is on me!)

By the way, I've never heard of a movie titled "The Trip to Spain." Is it a Camino film? Anyone know if its any good?

Last edited:
1614396999786.png
It is a fun film but typical Coogan & Brydon. Described as Six meals in Six different places on a road trip through Spain from the North Atlantic to the Mediterranean coast- visiting Cantabria, the Basque region, Aragon, Rioja, Castile La Mancha and ending in Andalucia. Pity they don't tell you where they are actually visiting.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nope, not there.
Yes, it is, definitely. They are going in the wrong direction, but perhaps it looked better to the director this way, or perhaps they got lost. If you ask Google Maps to get you from Atxondo to Sos del Rey Católico, the route by-passes Sangüesa. preferring the NA-127. So perhaps they realised they had gone wrong and turned round.
Coogan and Brydon have made several TV series with this format (England, Greece, Italy as well as Spain). They go from place to place, enjoying luxurious expensive meals, while arguing about who can do the best impression of Michael Caine. I switched off after about five minutes of the first one I saw, England, I think. Like some of the food, an acquired taste.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the bridge over the Rio Aragon at Sanguesa. Camino Aragones.
You all are incredible. I knew that someone would be able to answer this. This is the kind of thing I love about my fellow peregrinos!

To Bert's point, apparently the street signs are wrong! You can see that the arrows for Sos Del Rey are pointing north, but the town is actually to the south. The signs have been installed incorrectly for years. How bizarre!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
View attachment 94407
It is a fun film but typical Coogan & Brydon. Described as Six meals in Six different places on a road trip through Spain from the North Atlantic to the Mediterranean coast- visiting Cantabria, the Basque region, Aragon, Rioja, Castile La Mancha and ending in Andalucia. Pity they don't tell you where they are actually visiting.
I actually think it's a lot more than that. My wife is an author, normally doesn't like films exclusively about men, but she loves these movies for the character arcs. She thinks the characterization of Coogan and Brydon over the four films is masterful. (She is also a big fan of The Way, and thinks it is a perfectly written film.)

Here's some detail on the restaurant locations from The Trip to Spain: https://www.eater.com/2017/8/11/16135518/the-trip-to-spain-trailer-reviews

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
View attachment 94407
Few movie have any idea of the “reality” of a film, unless it’s a documentary, and then some of the best scenes are left on the cutting floor.

As for photo 2.... When you exit the city of Sanguesa heading west on the CA, you cross the Rio Aragones via the bridge (photo 1) and then, if memory serves, you almost immediately make a right turn onto a broad north-bound road (photo 2).
I remember walking out of Sanguesa and the massive bridge, but mostly I remember the assault on my nostrils from the paper mill as I continued out the road and I remember googling it at the time to see if the smell was 'normal' ...
Apparently it is, glad I don't live near a paper mill....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I remember my friends and I walking out of Sanguesa after an impressive rain storm, and -- not far from that very same smelly paper mill! -- having to wade through what seemed like the Florida Everglades.

Attachments

• 1614463309359.png
    1614463309359.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
You all are incredible. I knew that someone would be able to answer this. This is the kind of thing I love about my fellow peregrinos!

To Bert's point, apparently the street signs are wrong! You can see that the arrows for Sos Del Rey are pointing north, but the town is actually to the south. The signs have been installed incorrectly for years. How bizarre!
Not necessarily. At that point, where the sign is, the best way to get to Sos del Rey Católico is probably (almost certainly) to go north to the junction with the NA-127, then south. You can't get there by turning left after the bridge, because it is miles and miles before there is another bridge over the River Aragon at Cáseda. You could make a U-turn and go through Sangüesa, but that would mean negotiating a maze of narrow streets with no direction signs until you find your way back to the NA-127.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back