• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"The Trip to Spain" - Coogan & Brydon

dclink

Time of past OR future Camino
Ponferrada-Sarria (2013), St. Jean-SdC (2015)
Hi all, I hope you won't mind indulging my curiosity. In the 2017 film "The Trip to Spain", Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon cross over the path of the Camino in a car, passing over a very distinctive trestle bridge as they do so. I cannot figure out where this is. Based on the route they are taking from Atxondo to Sos del Rey Catolico, I am assuming that this is somewhere east of Logroño. Can anyone help me identify this?

Attachments

• IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 209
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all, I hope you won't mind indulging my curiosity. In the 2017 film "The Trip to Spain", Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon cross over the path of the Camino in a car, passing over a very distinctive trestle bridge as they do so. I cannot figure out where this is. Based on the route they are taking from Atxondo to Sos del Rey Catolico, I am assuming that this is somewhere east of Logroño. Can anyone help me identify this?
An interesting question! I have walked the Camino twice, but have no recollection of the bridge in the photograph. I so look forward to an answer.
Regards, sherpakev

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Reminds me of the bridge over the Rio Aragon at Sanguesa. Camino Aragones.

Give the man a cigar! Sanguesa is spot on.

Here is the bridge on Google street view, as shown in image 1295.

However, the car seems to be going the wrong way if its destination is Sos de Rey Catolico.

Second photo, however, is somewhere else - not near the bridge.

I will continue looking. Or I may get a life.

Last edited:
As for photo 2.... When you exit the city of Sanguesa heading west on the CA, you cross the Rio Aragones via the bridge (photo 1) and then, if memory serves, you almost immediately make a right turn onto a broad north-bound road (photo 2).

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Nope, not there.

Take another look at the Google Maps street view insert you posted in Item 4 above. ... March off the bridge and around the corner to the right, and there you are. ... Look for the chain under the Camino sign, and the red zebra crosswalk. ...The two photos had to have been taken just seconds apart. ... Not trying to be argumentative, just having fun remembering.... (And thanks for the cigar! If we ever meet, the first round is on me!)

By the way, I've never heard of a movie titled "The Trip to Spain." Is it a Camino film? Anyone know if its any good?

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
1614396999786.png
It is a fun film but typical Coogan & Brydon. Described as Six meals in Six different places on a road trip through Spain from the North Atlantic to the Mediterranean coast- visiting Cantabria, the Basque region, Aragon, Rioja, Castile La Mancha and ending in Andalucia. Pity they don't tell you where they are actually visiting.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nope, not there.
Yes, it is, definitely. They are going in the wrong direction, but perhaps it looked better to the director this way, or perhaps they got lost. If you ask Google Maps to get you from Atxondo to Sos del Rey Católico, the route by-passes Sangüesa. preferring the NA-127. So perhaps they realised they had gone wrong and turned round.
Coogan and Brydon have made several TV series with this format (England, Greece, Italy as well as Spain). They go from place to place, enjoying luxurious expensive meals, while arguing about who can do the best impression of Michael Caine. I switched off after about five minutes of the first one I saw, England, I think. Like some of the food, an acquired taste.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the bridge over the Rio Aragon at Sanguesa. Camino Aragones.
You all are incredible. I knew that someone would be able to answer this. This is the kind of thing I love about my fellow peregrinos!

To Bert's point, apparently the street signs are wrong! You can see that the arrows for Sos Del Rey are pointing north, but the town is actually to the south. The signs have been installed incorrectly for years. How bizarre!

View attachment 94407
It is a fun film but typical Coogan & Brydon. Described as Six meals in Six different places on a road trip through Spain from the North Atlantic to the Mediterranean coast- visiting Cantabria, the Basque region, Aragon, Rioja, Castile La Mancha and ending in Andalucia. Pity they don't tell you where they are actually visiting.
I actually think it's a lot more than that. My wife is an author, normally doesn't like films exclusively about men, but she loves these movies for the character arcs. She thinks the characterization of Coogan and Brydon over the four films is masterful. (She is also a big fan of The Way, and thinks it is a perfectly written film.)

Here's some detail on the restaurant locations from The Trip to Spain: https://www.eater.com/2017/8/11/16135518/the-trip-to-spain-trailer-reviews

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
View attachment 94407
Few movie have any idea of the “reality” of a film, unless it’s a documentary, and then some of the best scenes are left on the cutting floor.

As for photo 2.... When you exit the city of Sanguesa heading west on the CA, you cross the Rio Aragones via the bridge (photo 1) and then, if memory serves, you almost immediately make a right turn onto a broad north-bound road (photo 2).
I remember walking out of Sanguesa and the massive bridge, but mostly I remember the assault on my nostrils from the paper mill as I continued out the road and I remember googling it at the time to see if the smell was 'normal' ...
Apparently it is, glad I don't live near a paper mill....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I remember my friends and I walking out of Sanguesa after an impressive rain storm, and -- not far from that very same smelly paper mill! -- having to wade through what seemed like the Florida Everglades.

Attachments

• 1614463309359.png
    1614463309359.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
You all are incredible. I knew that someone would be able to answer this. This is the kind of thing I love about my fellow peregrinos!

To Bert's point, apparently the street signs are wrong! You can see that the arrows for Sos Del Rey are pointing north, but the town is actually to the south. The signs have been installed incorrectly for years. How bizarre!
Not necessarily. At that point, where the sign is, the best way to get to Sos del Rey Católico is probably (almost certainly) to go north to the junction with the NA-127, then south. You can't get there by turning left after the bridge, because it is miles and miles before there is another bridge over the River Aragon at Cáseda. You could make a U-turn and go through Sangüesa, but that would mean negotiating a maze of narrow streets with no direction signs until you find your way back to the NA-127.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
Greetings all! So I'm a "proper planning prevents poor performance", kinda guy. I was able to make a loose schedule for my Camino Frances last year that worked extremely well, and allowed me to...
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back