• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The truth about bed bugs?

Ahhhs

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to Santiago, May 2015
Porto to Santiago, April 2016
Muxia-Finisterre-Santiago, April 2016
Camino Del Norte, April 2017
I'm planning my first Camino for May 2015 from SJ to Santiago. Like all newbies, I'm reading everything I can about preparing and planning for my trip. I think I've got my equipment figured out and I'm packing pretty light. (I've already packed and repacked a few times) ☺️

But I'm wondering about the bed bug problem. I've read a few threads on the subject (forgive me for adding another) and would like to be prepared without being paranoid. I camp and hike a lot and am not worried about bugs in general but these critters seem to be especially vicious.

I've read a bit about bed bug sheets. Are they really necessary? Do you buy them, make your own, spray the existing sheets, or not worry about it and take your chances? Is it worth it to carry a sheet and/or spray?

What about pillows?

Any thoughts on the current bed bug situation and reasonable bug prep?

I hate to carry anything I don't really need.

Thanks so much.
Cheers.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've read a bit about bed bug sheets. Are they really necessary? Do you buy them, make your own, spray the existing sheets, or not worry about it and take your chances? Is it worth it to carry a sheet and/or spray?
What about pillows?
I do not think the sheets add anything to a treated sleeping bag (except weight).
Many albergues supply disposable pillow cases. They are more for hygiene than bed bugs. My sleep sack has a pouch for a pillow, so I have permethrin surrounding the pillow. If you have no such feature, a treated pillow case will help. I do not carry extra spray.

A lot of different opinions on dealing with bedbugs on this forum as well as a lot of different experiences. I can only describe mine.
I've walked the Caminos Frances twice from SJPDP to Santiago during the summer months (June-August). Did not have a single bedbug encounter in either, and that would be over 60 days total of staying in different albergues (municipal and private) as well as pension houses, hotels and hostels. I carried no bug spray or treated sheets, etc.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,
I walked Camino Francis in 2012. I bought very light weight (bridal veil) material. I cut it big enough to fit over a single mattress and drape down the sides. I sprayed it with Permithrin and allowed it to dry outdoors. I packed it in a sandwich-size baggie and it weighed next to nothing. I used it everywhere and never got any bites, including mosquito bites. My friend took one but did not use it religiously and ended up bitten and infected. My vote is yes for some kind of protection and this was so easy.[/QUOTE]

Hello,
I walked Camino Francis in 2012. I bought very light weight (bridal veil) material. I cut it big enough to fit over a single mattress and drape down the sides. I sprayed it with Permithrin and allowed it to dry outdoors. I packed it in a sandwich-size baggie and it weighed next to nothing. I used it everywhere and never got any bites, including mosquito bites. My friend took one but did not use it religiously and ended up bitten and infected. My vote is yes for some kind of protection and this was so easy.
Great idea, thank you.

We did May-end of June 2013 and not only never experienced bed bugs, never met anyone who had experienced bed bugs.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm planning my first Camino for May 2015 from SJ to Santiago. Like all newbies, I'm reading everything I can about preparing and planning for my trip. I think I've got my equipment figured out and I'm packing pretty light. (I've already packed and repacked a few times) ☺️

But I'm wondering about the bed bug problem. I've read a few threads on the subject (forgive me for adding another) and would like to be prepared without being paranoid. I camp and hike a lot and am not worried about bugs in general but these critters seem to be especially vicious.

What about pillows?

Thanks so much.
Cheers.

Hello, Ahhs,
I did my Camino Frances Sept. 6th from St. Jean to Santiago, arriving October 8th/14. I was very concerned about bed bug bites and purchased a bed bug sheet (hardly any weight at all) and a treated lightweight down sleeping bag from Ellis Brigham in England ( a friend who lives there brought it over to Canada when he was visiting).

I am extremely allergic to bites and even starting taking B1 capsules a month or so before I left and I continued taking them while I was walking as I had read that perhaps that would help. The weather was very warm, especially the first 2 1/2 weeks and only used my sleeping bag twice as the weather did get cooler toward the end. I did use my bed bug sheet almost every day unless there were new sheets and pillow covers provided. At the beginning, when it was warm, didn't need an extra cover, just used my silk sleep sac, but as the weather cooled, I did not want to use the blankets at the albergues as I thought about # 1 - bed bugs and #2, just how often are these things washed? I am a pretty picky person when it comes to what is close to my body, but I have to be honest, as time went on, I became less and less concerned and used the blankets that were provided (only once did they have a distinct body odour smell - yech) and that meant not having to pack up my sleeping bag in the am and I generally used it for a pillow between my knees when sleeping. I did spray my pack inside and out before I left. Perhaps I was lucky, perhaps my deterrents worked, but only had a couple of bites on my arm and I believe that they were mosquito bites.

Good luck, and believe me, you will be surprised at how you get used to living simply and become less and less concerned about the things that you accept on the Camino that you would not accept at home. A bed for the night, a shower and an opportunity to wash your clothes, soon become your priorities.
Cheers,
Linda

Hello,
I walked Camino Francis in 2012. I bought very light weight (bridal veil) material. I cut it big enough to fit over a single mattress and drape down the sides. I sprayed it with Permithrin and allowed it to dry outdoors. I packed it in a sandwich-size baggie and it weighed next to nothing. I used it everywhere and never got any bites, including mosquito bites. My friend took one but did not use it religiously and ended up bitten and infected. My vote is yes for some kind of protection and this was so easy.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Interesting idea, westernstar...an easy and lightweight solution.

About the sprays: I assume it's not a problem to spray directly on your sleeping bag? I was planning to spray my pack right before I leave but not sure about my bag?

Hello Ahhhs - let me repost something I already put up, bridal veils will stop the big buggers but the little ones can probably make it through:
Ways to Prevent Spreading Bedbugs

I have used Permethrin and I know it works - h-o-w-e-v-e-r the idea of
"Now I lay me down to sleep,
before I give the bedbugs my soul to keep"...
the idea of sleeping for a month in what amounts to poison is disturbing. Our herbalist/vegan friends have come up with the following:
Bed Bug Spray Recipe
1 Cup Water
10 drops lavender essential oil
10 drops rosemary essential oil
10 drops eucalyptus essential oil
10 drops essential oil of clove
Place in a fine mist spray bottle, and shake well before using.

I have never tried it, but seems worth a try.
For all things bedbug, photos of the varmints in all stages of their growth, the effects of their chomping, and other repellants, see here:
http://herbalhealthcare-daw.blogspot.co.il/2013/05/bed-bug-repellents.html

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Three of us hiked the Camino in Fall, 2013. We had Permethrin treated sleeping bag liners, and we sprayed our backpacks as well. I was less than conscientious about using my liner. My wife was bitten on two different occasions. The other two of us were never bitten. It makes me think that the bedbugs have enough choice in the albergues that they can afford to be choosy about whom they bite. I suspect they think of it as why eat hamburger when you can eat steak? Fortunately, I seem to be considered hamburger by the little critters!

I assume it's not a problem to spray directly on your sleeping bag?
Follow the directions. Avoid contact with wet fabric. Wash your hands immediately if you do get the liquid on your hands. Do not breathe the spray. Allow the equipment to dry. After it is dry, it is safe for human contact. Cats and fish do not do well with permethrin, so keep them away.

I didn't take any spray with me but I soaked in permethrin, my clothing (except underwear), my pack and my sleep sack before leaving home. I had no bedbug encounters. Might not have had any issues had I not done that, but it gave me peace of mind.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Camino Frances in September/October 2014, and saw a couple of people with bedbug bites all over their legs. Another young German woman I sat with at dinner told me bedbugs loved her, she was recovering from bites for the third time. A guy in a private room in one albergue told me he had just seen a bedbug walking down the wall in his room, and had asked the hospitalero to spray, which he did. I also walked for some days with someone who had suffered from bedbugs and still had the bite marks.

I sprayed my backpack, boots and sleeping bag before I left home, and also took a small bottle of permethrin with me, which I used to spray my backpack inside and out before I left Spain. On arrival home, I found a couple of dead bedbugs inside my pack, although I hadn't been bitten, so I guess the spray worked.

There are definitely bedbugs on the Camino, but I suspect earlier in the year they aren't a problem, as they die off over the winter, which might be why some people say they've walked the Camino without ever experiencing them. One interesting point I read somewhere is that people over 65 don't seem to get attacked by bedbugs as often as younger people, so finally there's something good about old age!

The truth about bed bugs is that they exist, they are a part of life and trying to avoid them is like trying to avoid getting dirty. I had a few encounters with them, found one on my towel and flicked it off. No chemicals, high temp dryer etc. I had a few bites on one occasion in 53 days of walking. They don't carry disease, they just creep us out. I have not infected anyone else, their clothing, sleeping bags or homes. Freaking out (as I've seen pilgrims do) is a complete waste of energy, save it for walking, you'll need it...
Ultreya

We sprayed the sleeping bags and the backpacks with permethrin before we started the pilgrimage on el Camino Frances.... but we never saw a single bed bug... perhaps we are lucky

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some people don't react to bites at all, so you could be bitten and never know it. I'm one of those lucky. We dealt with bedbugs while living in an apartment building - not fun. I'm not too worried about them on the camino - I'll spray before I go, but as others have said: I'll use my energy for other things, like walking. :)

What about pillows?

Thanks so much.
Cheers.

Hi there is a lot of advice on the forum about bed bugs, quite a bit is conflicting, so for you this can be quite confusing - possibly. My own experience is that I have been on several caminos and if I was to take the 2nd one out I would wonder what the fuss was about with bed bugs, but that is the one that colours my perception of them,they were fairly prevelant, hungry and making the most of the heated albergues in November. Because I saw some quite nasty results on Camino commerades, I try to be mindful as possible about them without letting fear dominate my camino, I pay a little attention to preventing them, its a routine, don't put backpack in certain places, spray it every 10 days etc.Normally If I do this I am OK. But like other posters have said just get on with it, this is fine, but my experience has made me think a little about prevention.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

I've been on the Camino twice - once for 2 weeks and once for 3 weeks. Both times I was bitten by bedbugs. I am a person who reacts to their bites; many people do not, so they tend to think they have never been bitten. One time I think was in a higher-end private hostel, another time in a large clean albergue. One can't be sure because the reaction to bites can happen days later. I have come to accept that bedbugs are everywhere on the camino. [Edited to add: However, good hygiene by hospitaleros, plastic-encased mattresses, spartan furnishings and minimal bedding, all help to keep the number of bugs low so that pilgrims are bitten only occasionally.]

A lot of online research leads me to believe that treated sheets will be of limited effectiveness (the bug only spends a few seconds on the sheet as it makes its way from the bed frame to your arm!) On my next camino, I might carry a treated sheet, but honestly don't expect it to do much. I will put my backpack in a plastic bag during the night, and I'll carefully separate night-time wear from daytime wear both to reduce likelihood of cross-contamination and so that it is easier to decontaminate. Since it is easy to kill them (20 minutes in a hot dryer), my focus will be on how to kill them in my belongings, once I've been bitten. At least I am fortunate to know if I've been bitten and then can take appropriate measures.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Ahhhs - let me repost something I already put up, bridal veils will stop the big buggers but the little ones can probably make it through:

the idea of sleeping for a month in what amounts to poison is disturbing. Our herbalist/vegan friends have come up with the following:
Bed Bug Spray Recipe
1 Cup Water

For all things bedbug, photos of the varmints in all stages of their growth, the effects of their chomping, and other repellants, see here:
I know that you never used it but would you take this bottle with you and spray the bed every night or meant to be used at home before leaving? Maya

I know that you never used it but would you take this bottle with you and spray the bed every night or meant to be used at home before leaving? Maya
The site says as needed - every evening seems a bit extreme and the nose knows, if that lavander aroma is still strong should still be good, by Albergue etiquette one spreads the sleepingbag on the bed assigned or chosed at arrival, a light spray should be dry by bedtime

Hello,
[/QUOTE]

This is an EXcellent idea!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Bed Bug Spray Recipe
1 Cup Water

While the permethrin I used had NO scent after a few days, all that essential oil would give me a heck of a migraine, especially if it were sprayed that night. I feel spraying a communal space with scent isn't very friendly. So many people have allergies these days. Personally, I don't believe the essential oil will work - but the scent issue is one reason why I opp for private lodging and spray the outside of my pack and/or sleeping bag with permethrin before leaving these days.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My daughter and I walked the CF twice with no bed bugs. ' 13 ' 14 June/July both times. Own pillow case. Own light weight sleeping bag.

Insects are not bed bugs.

Yes we have see bed bug victims but v few.

Many albergues supply disposable pillow cases. They are more for hygiene than bed bugs. My sleep sack has a pouch for a pillow, so I have permethrin surrounding the pillow. If you have no such feature, a treated pillow case will help. I do not carry extra spray.[/QUOTE]

Is it okay to sleep with your face on a "treated" pillow case?

A lot of different opinions on dealing with bedbugs on this forum as well as a lot of different experiences. I can only describe mine.
I've walked the Caminos Frances twice from SJPDP to Santiago during the summer months (June-August). Did not have a single bedbug encounter in either, and that would be over 60 days total of staying in different albergues (municipal and private) as well as pension houses, hotels and hostels. I carried no bug spray or treated sheets, etc.
You were lucky Mark Lee.....I Did get bitten a couple of times both during my Camino last year in May/June and again this year in April.....My sleep liner (did not have a sleeping bag) was treated before I started my Caminos but the exposed parts of me, ie. my face and one hand did get bitten. I am one of those people who seem to attract annoying things that like to nibble, bite and sting though and seem to be very sensitive and allergic to these.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Many albergues supply disposable pillow cases. They are more for hygiene than bed bugs. My sleep sack has a pouch for a pillow, so I have permethrin surrounding the pillow. If you have no such feature, a treated pillow case will help. I do not carry extra spray.

Is it okay to sleep with your face on a "treated" pillow case?[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't stick my face on that toxic poison. Why not just put your face on the head of your bag on top of the pillow or on an item of clothing. Too close to the brain IMHO.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Is it okay to sleep with your face on a "treated" pillow case?[/QUOTE]
I don't think I would sleep with my face or head buried in a piece of cloth that had been soaked with a deadly poison, even if it is of organic origin. Just sounds bad at face value. I think I'd rather risk getting gnawed on by ye old bed bugs.

I experienced bedbugs only one night, and that was in a hotel. I sleep very lightly and only got one bite, but I absolutely hated feeling them running over me. I deserted my bedroom and spent the night sleeping on the tiled floor of the corridor.

I put my treated "sheet" over the bed first and then put my sleeping bag or sack on top of it. I did not have my body or face against the sheet. I took a small blow-up airline pillow and kept my head on that. I agree though it will not hurt you to touch it. I think having the sheet draped over everything kept the bugs from getting to the exposed parts of my body.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Permethrin has low toxicity and low mordity in mammals and very low absorption through skin. A bored afternoon gurgling through Google will bring you to those conclusions, especially if you set up a pro / con bias sheet in Excel and give approximate weightings to the varied, often un-cited, opinions to the contrary. Avoid inhaling the spray. Do not use if you are a fish or a butterfly.

Bed bug bites have similar low morditity in humans but they can induce some pretty unpleasant reactions in some.

Me, I'd rather use a known preventative than a potential one. But I gave up experimenting on my body with pharmaceuticals sometime in the late '80's. I think.

I have been walking different Caminos for years. Bed bugs have always been a concern but never encountered. Unfortunately over the last two years it seems like there has been an explosion of them in the albergues. Last year we were hit twice on the Camino Frances over roughly 350 km. We walked the Camino Portugues from Porto this year, roughly 250 km, and had encounters every third night. My brother walked the Camino Frances with his family this summer and was hit so many time in the albergues that he stopped staying at them. He had to check into the hospital once because he was bit so many time that he had an allergic reaction.

Frankly, the albergues have to figure out how to handle bed bugs or the popularity of the camino will ebb. Maybe that is the solution but a sad solution since hiking on it is a wonderful experience.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very good video! I did that on my last Camino, keeping my rucksack on and there's less to check in an albergue. The bad bit is if you actually find some, you have to walk on :rolleyes: :(

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.