• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Tunnel Route

PLOK

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago 2016
Hi all
I am starting the Camino in early May and have decided to walk the first stage from Irun to santo Domingo rather than starting at SJP. This involves the tunnel route through St Adrian's Tunnel which is an ancient and still well defined route although not heavily used. It sounds to me an interesting adventure. I would love to hear from anyone who has walked this way or better still anyone who may be thinking of it. In any event I shall be hoping to join the traditional French route after five or six days! Hope to see someone then
All the best Peter

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Peter.

I've moved your thread to the Vasco Interior section. If you scroll through the other posts in this section, you'll see that other forum members have walked this route and can probably give you some good information.

Ah! Thank you! I couldn't find an appropriate thread!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Yes you will see my other posts on this route in this section. Well marked and you may need alternate accommodation but a lovely lovely walk. You may not see any other pilgrims but I hope you do. May take longer than 5-6 days...dont forget to write all about it.

Hi Plok,
i walked this route last may, from Irun to Burgos bypassing Santa Domingo, 10 days walking and only met 6 other pilgrims total, albergue possible most nights if i remember sometimes keys had to be obtained at police station or tourist office, lot of road walking and industry first few days, the day through the tunnel and last dayinto burgos most beautiful. Very well marked apart from one section on the Burgos variant because of new motorway construction.
Hope this helps
Buen camino
aidan

Hi all
I am starting the Camino in early May and have decided to walk the first stage from Irun to santo Domingo rather than starting at SJP. This involves the tunnel route through St Adrian's Tunnel which is an ancient and still well defined route although not heavily used. It sounds to me an interesting adventure. I would love to hear from anyone who has walked this way or better still anyone who may be thinking of it. In any event I shall be hoping to join the traditional French route after five or six days! Hope to see someone then
All the best Peter

Peter:

I walked this route in 2012. This Camino is very pedestrian until Besain. After that it becomes much more rural with the exception of Vittoria- Gaitz (sp.). Steep climb out of Zegema and the tunnel itself is quite short (less than a 100 meters). My Avatar is a picture of the old Roman road after the tunnel. Nice country side before and after V-G. Then you pass through the wine country of Brinas and Haro before intersecting the Frances at SDdlC. This walk took me 8 days but could probably be done in 6. I had a very short first day 11 km's.

Ultreya,
Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Peter:

I walked this route in 2012. This Camino is very pedestrian until Besain. After that it becomes much more rural with the exception of Vittoria- Gaitz (sp.). Steep climb out of Zegema and the tunnel itself is quite short (less than a 100 meters). My Avatar is a picture of the old Roman road after the tunnel. Nice country side before and after V-G. Then you pass through the wine country of Brinas and Haro before intersecting the Frances at SDdlC. This walk took me 8 days but could probably be done in 6. I had a very short first day 11 km's.

Ultreya,
Joe
Hi Joe thanks for responding. Sort of gathered that the initial part might be a bit dull but made up for onwards. As a matter of interest why did you go to SDdlC rather than straight to Burgos (obvious answer may be the wine of course)? Anyway am much Looking forward to the journey haven't done it before so getting quite excited Peter

Hi Plok,
i walked this route last may, from Irun to Burgos bypassing Santa Domingo, 10 days walking and only met 6 other pilgrims total, albergue possible most nights if i remember sometimes keys had to be obtained at police station or tourist office, lot of road walking and industry first few days, the day through the tunnel and last dayinto burgos most beautiful. Very well marked apart from one section on the Burgos variant because of new motorway construction.
Hope this helps
Buen camino
aidan
Thanks Aidan much looking forward to this walk. Never done it before so hoping all works out well Peter

Hi Joe thanks for responding. Sort of gathered that the initial part might be a bit dull but made up for onwards. As a matter of interest why did you go to SDdlC rather than straight to Burgos (obvious answer may be the wine of course)? Anyway am much Looking forward to the journey haven't done it before so getting quite excited Peter

PLOK:

My favorite Albergue on the Frances is the Church in Granon. That and the wine country are two reasons for SDdlC versus Burgos, imo.

This route is also a much gentler and less crowded start to a Camino than SJPdP.

Ultreya,
Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the albergue in Salvatierra Agurain has reopened after three years. But with a new reservation/check-in process to do online (like the albergue in La Puebla de Arganzon) - to get a code...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back