• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Ultimate Boots ...

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2012, others, hospitalero, resumed VdlP 2022
I have only ever had three pairs of walking boots in 50 years of walking/climbing/peregrination, and they have always been proper ankle-high, ‘leather’ boots. The first pair (I do not remember the manufacturer) had screw-on commando soles and I used these for 20 years until the inner-soles literally fell apart. The second pair were Gortex boots by Chris Brasher, inexpensive at the time, lightweight, waterproof, very comfortable, but I did not like them because I didn’t think they gave sufficient support to the ankles: I now use them or gardening. Ten years ago I bought my third and present pair of boots which are by Scarpa, and they are so good and well worn-in that I can positively look forward to donning a pair of Bridgedale layered socks and fitting my feet into my boots.

However they now need their third soles & I would normally send them to the wonderful Lancashire boot company (http://www.lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/), except they tell me that original Scarpa soles are no longer available. Anyway I am beginning to suffer from arthritis (see separate post) and besides probably don’t need a pair of boots to last another 10 years.

So, I need advice from the forum, please as to whether I should resole my Scarpa boost with ordinary Vibram outer-soles or whether for my last few years of walking I should buy a pair of these new-fangled fabric boots?

Peter

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It sounds as though you have road-tested your old boots pretty thoroughly and know they work for you. If they were mine and it was practical I would simply have them resoled. For the past few years I have been wearing cheap leather builders' boots but have replaced the insoles with gel inserts. They work very well for me but the downside is that because the soles are moulded to the uppers they cannot be resoled. At £25 or so a pair it would hardly be worthwhile in any case.

Huge Scarpa fan here. I had to toss my beloved 4 year old Scarpas last summer when holes appeared in the sides and the soles melted on hot Italian roads. I bought a new pair of Scarpa R'evolutions boots and spent the last month or so breaking them in, realizing too late they were too big. I just got back from an Icelandic hiking trip and wore thick socks so they worked fine. Anyway...long story, short....I'd buy a new pair. You definitely get your money's worth and I always break down expensive items into a cost per wear number. So you probably spent a few cents each wear of your Scarpas!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Huge Scarpa fan here. I had to toss my beloved 4 year old Scarpas last summer when holes appeared in the sides and the soles melted on hot Italian roads. I bought a new pair of Scarpa R'evolutions boots and spent the last month or so breaking them in, realizing too late they were too big. I just got back from an Icelandic hiking trip and wore thick socks so they worked fine. Anyway...long story, short....I'd buy a new pair. You definitely get your money's worth and I always break down expensive items into a cost per wear number. So you probably spent a few cents each wear of your Scarpas!

But R'evolution boots (a) the new-fangled fabric type (b) 50% more expensive Scarpa GTX boots and (c) 150% the cost of new Vibram soles. And why did you need a month to break 'em in? I think I prefer Bradypus' advice.

I like my Keen Targhee II mid-high Gortex, waterproof hiking boots very much. Presently, I am breaking in pair number 2 preparatory to starting from Lisbon on 27 April. The previous pair made it through four Caminos (2 C/F, Porto, & Madrid) and three resoling actions.

To each, his or her own.

I have only ever had three pairs of walking boots in 50 years of walking/climbing/peregrination, and they have always been proper ankle-high, ‘leather’ boots. The first pair (I do not remember the manufacturer) had screw-on commando soles and I used these for 20 years until the inner-soles literally fell apart. The second pair were Gortex boots by Chris Brasher, inexpensive at the time, lightweight, waterproof, very comfortable, but I did not like them because I didn’t think they gave sufficient support to the ankles: I now use them or gardening. Ten years ago I bought my third and present pair of boots which are by Scarpa, and they are so good and well worn-in that I can positively look forward to donning a pair of Bridgedale layered socks and fitting my feet into my boots.

However they now need their third soles & I would normally send them to the wonderful Lancashire boot company (http://www.lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/), except they tell me that original Scarpa soles are no longer available. Anyway I am beginning to suffer from arthritis (see separate post) and besides probably don’t need a pair of boots to last another 10 years.

So, I need advice from the forum, please as to whether I should resole my Scarpa boost with ordinary Vibram outer-soles or whether for my last few years of walking I should buy a pair of these new-fangled fabric boots?

Peter
Good article on things to consider for hiking/walking/backpacking footwear.
http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/ditch-boots

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh I do sympathise. I still have my original Randonee H20 boots, having been re-heeled several times and walked through three caminos as well as a lot of casual hiking. But now the sole has flapped irreparably open and I finished my last short bushwalk with the sole tied on with a crepe bandage. So, farewell dear friends. I estimate they have taken me in excess of 3,000 kms. Sigh. What to get? The daunting search begins for the perfect replacement boot for me too.

I loved my newfangled fabric 'boots' (Keen Koven low top hiking shoes, actually). They were lightweight, had good ventilation and tread and lasted 800km without any issues...and with only a single blister in 33 days.

That being said, use what works best for you (but you might want to give the newfangled stuff a try beforehand and see if it could work for you too!)

The first pair (I do not remember the manufacturer) had screw-on commando soles and I used these for 20 years until the inner-soles literally fell apart.

Memories!! My Scarpas, bought in Manchester in the 70s were leather lined with screw-on commando soles. I had them resoled... how many times? I even had the linings patched, but eventually I sent them on their longest journey. Nowadays I buy new boots after every Camino. The most I have had from them was around 2000 km and I really should have replaced them after around 1600 km and this is despite vibram soles.

Having said that, I have been satisfied with my new-fangled boots.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.