• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The ultimate pocketknife to take on the camino

Olygirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Jakobsweg Switzerland
Hi! Being Swiss and living in the center of Switzerland (the Jakobsweg passes my place of work), the Swiss Army knife plays a minor role in my life. So here's my question: if you could design the perfect pocketknife to take with you on your camino, what would be included? My suggestions involve:

- a flashlight (already included on many knives)
- a pair of tweezers (for ticks and facial hairs)
- a pen (already included on many knives)
- a good knife for cutting bread
- a pair of scissors
- a corkscrew (already available)
- a screwdriver (also already available)
- lightweight!
-Perhaps an external charger for a mobile phone?
- Engraved with your name on it
- a key chain
- a mini-spring carabiner

What have I missed or what do you feel isn't needed? Thanks for your feedback.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
USB power bank maybe? That could be handy.

But must say that I wouldn't buy it. I do have regular Swiss army knife (2 knives, tweezers, scissors, screwdriver, corkscrew, toothpick etc.) though but in case of theft or simply loosing that knife of yours I'd be without a lot of things in a moment. That's why I rather have just a few basic things within my knife and all the rest separate. For example, if the torchlight is incorporated in the knife you are left with only one hand to do things or hold the knife with your teeth. Headlamp is better option for me.
Anyway I think the knife you're thinking about could be a success. Also consider crowdfunding like Kickstarter or similar.

Wish you well with your idea :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
a needle for bursting blisters...
now how long will it take before the medical experts will decry my suggestion,

made of ceramic so we can pack it in hand luggage....oh dear now I will have the packing and security experts

a cockel shell motif on the handle

Only thing I've ever used in mine is the scisors for cutting foot tape. And it's one of these tiny ones with a blad, tooth pick, tweezer amd nail file, I think. Scissors, that's it. And something to make it beeps when I am looking for it ;).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi! Being Swiss and living in the center of Switzerland (the Jakobsweg passes my place of work), the Swiss Army knife plays a minor role in my life. So here's my question: if you could design the perfect pocketknife to take with you on your camino, what would be included? My suggestions involve:

- a pair of scissors
- lightweight!
- a key chain

Swiss Army knives are great! However when one goes through airport security the knife will be confiscated; at least daughter's was in Italy. I would hate to lose mine so if all believe this is something needed on the Camino where do you suggest purchasing one once back on the ground? Thank you.

- a pair of scissors
- lightweight!
- a key chain

LOL.... I don't see how the knife achieves being lightweight and yet include every "just-in-case" tool one thinks they might need. :) However, if it included a cell-phone with camera and GPS, I might be tempted ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

- a pair of scissors
- lightweight!
- a key chain

Good question, how about:

- A master key to open all Albergue doors when arriving back after the 10pm curfew!
- A thermostat, so that I can drink my Rioja at the temperature served in Spain!
- An Oxyacetylene Torch, to enable me to cut through my Jamon Bocadillo!

Just a thought
Davie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Swiss Army knives are great! However when one goes through airport security the knife will be confiscated; at least daughter's was in Italy. I would hate to lose mine so if all believe this is something needed on the Camino where do you suggest purchasing one once back on the ground? Thank you.
Either you put it in your check-in baggage, send it via mail or buy one. Same on return ;)
You can buy all sorts of knives including Victorinoxes and Opinels in Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Opinel No.10 with corkscrew, the ideal Camino knife, inexpensive, holds an edge well, perfect for slicing chorizo, queso, bread, and a corkscrew for opening wine bottles.
Not a big deal if you lose it or it gets confiscated compared to an expensive Swiss Army knife.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BEL9U4/?tag=casaivar02-20

If the main blade could be lockable that would be nice. Also I like the marlinspike most of them have next to the corkscrew as well as the bottletop lifter and the can opener. Been real happy with the Swiss knives I have, especially the one with the pliers and the socket/bits. Good for repairs in the field when you have a screw loose.

A small ceramic blade sharpener that can be slipped out of the knife and if it had a strong steel core with a pointed exposed tip it could be used as a piercer for stones in boots, hooves, hole-creator, etc.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for all of your ideas! Did you know the Jakobsweg (camino) goes right past the knife factory in Ibach, Schwyz, Switzerland? I believe they offer a 10% discount to all tourists buying from their factory store.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

- a pair of scissors
- lightweight!
- a key chain

I have a swiss army knife with a toothpick, a saw(which i use for making walking sticks)a phillips screw driver and slotted too ,the scissors are really important, for taping the feet and trimming the nails and of course the tweezers, also a can opener is handy but the top most important tool is .....drum roll ...the painkiller opening device more commonly called a corkscrew.

Either you put it in your check-in baggage, send it via mail or buy one. Same on return ;)
You can buy all sorts of knives including Victorinoxes and Opinels in Spain.

Exasperated by my scout's camping knife that would not have made any impression on butter, last summer I bought a beautifully serrated Victorinox knife en route. The knife not only cut effortlessly through crusty bread, but it also made a perfect surgical incision in my leg. It's the first time I've ever been in a position to contemplate a cross-section of my knee. Caveat viator!

The Opinel is a locking knife...so in the UK not an EDC...an arrestable offence to carry one.

According to this https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives a lock knife is defined as one that;

Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason. Lock knives:

• have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button
  • can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a screwdriver or can opener
An Opinel clearly isn't covered in point one and point two's use of the word "can" makes it next to pointless as pretty much any Swiss Army/Leatherman type multitool could be covered.

I've bought an Opinel specifically for the Camino as on my previous trip I saw others use it and it proved super useful, primarily for food prep but also bandaging/boot modification etc. That link further goes on to say that (assuming the blade is less than 3 inches) if you can demonstrate a good reason for having it you're ok, who knows if going walking in Spain is a good reason or not.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
According to this https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives a lock knife is defined as one that;

Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason. Lock knives:

• can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a screwdriver or can opener
An Opinel clearly isn't covered in point one and point two's use of the word "can" makes it next to pointless as pretty much any Swiss Army/Leatherman type multitool could be covered.

I've bought an Opinel specifically for the Camino as on my previous trip I saw others use it and it proved super useful, primarily for food prep but also bandaging/boot modification etc. That link further goes on to say that (assuming the blade is less than 3 inches) if you can demonstrate a good reason for having it you're ok, who knows if going walking in Spain is a good reason or not.
Locking the blade makes it illegal - it can't be folded if it is locked and so is not a folding a knife. I don't think I'd use one without locking it so it's a paperweight really. In the UK context is everything even with "legal" knives, so you can still be arrested with an EDC if a police officer has questions about your intent.

- a pair of scissors
- lightweight!
- a key chain

I'm just taking carry on so most of this I wouldn't be allowed.

Locking the blade makes it illegal - it can't be folded if it is locked and so is not a folding a knife. I don't think I'd use one without locking it so it's a paperweight really. In the UK context is everything even with "legal" knives, so you can still be arrested with an EDC if a police officer has questions about your intent.

So, I was bored and my curiosity had been piqued, as a result have just got back from my friendly neighbourhood police station to enquire about the legality of Opinel type knives. When I explained my purpose for carrying it (I actually took a picture to the station for fear of getting into trouble) I was assured that it (hiking in Europe) would be regarded as a legitimate reason to do so. I'm still not 100% convinced as it does all seem to come down to interpretation, but I am now at least confident that if I turn up at the airport with an Optinel the worst that might happen is that it might be confiscated rather than that I might be at risk of arrest.

It was however made very clear that carrying one without a good reason would be a bad plan.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ladies, never let a man cut your apple with his pocketknife. You don't know where it's been.
And just because why are in the 21st century... Men, never let a lady cut your apple with her pocketknife... :D

At the Eurostar entry (U.K. Border guard) there is a container holding about 200 knives exactly like the opinel. :(

Ladies, never let a man cut your apple with his pocketknife. You don't know where it's been.
I have a very tricky trick for halving apples. no need for a dirty skungey knife. But i would need to show you in person.

Now I'm confused re EDC concept. I almost always carry a small pocket knife. When I travel as in trips to Spain, Great Britain, Germany I avoid taking a knife with me on the airplane but purchase one soon after arrival. I bought a small Opinel as in the picture in a hardware store in Canterbury prior to starting English portion of the Via Francigena. No problems purchasing it - they had various sizes, steels. I mailed it home afterwards and it is a nice souvenir of my trip.

Now I'm confused re EDC concept. I almost always carry a small pocket knife. When I travel as in trips to Spain, Great Britain, Germany I avoid taking a knife with me on the airplane but purchase one soon after arrival. I bought a small Opinel as in the picture in a hardware store in Canterbury prior to starting English portion of the Via Francigena. No problems purchasing it - they had various sizes, steels. I mailed it home afterwards and it is a nice souvenir of my trip.

Just one of those weird points of law. 100% legal to sell one to anyone over 18. But if you get caught holding one without a good reason you may get in trouble.

www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives
'Good reason' as I understand it in London would mean you are on your way to or from your work, where you specifically need it for your job. It really does mean directly to and from work, e.g. if you are a chef, you are expected to take your knives home before going out for the evening, or leave them at work. If you said you were on your way to the airport to go on a hiking trip, Police could ask to see your ticket. Having the general intention to go hiking in a few days time would not be seen as 'good reason'.

I can say this for sure because one of my colleagues has been stopped and searched twice and found with an axe, and the police phoned up to check the nature of his job.

You can carry a folding non locking knife with a blade less than 3 inches long without needing a reason. Therefore wouldn't it be much easier to stick to this kind of knife? You won't be needing to skin many deer on your camino in any case.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
a needle for bursting blisters...
now how long will it take before the medical experts will decry my suggestion,

made of ceramic so we can pack it in hand luggage....oh dear now I will have the packing and security experts

a cockel shell motif on the handle

Yer a very very naughty boy !!!!! ;)

By the number of different responses I'd say there is no such thing as the perfect Camino knife. The "no locking blade" rule in the U.K. is interesting. I rarely check bags when traveling so generally I just have a corkscrew without a foil cutter.

Back to the topic at hand. I took a Leatherman CS4, a quality, compact, multitool. While most small multitools an junk, this is the one exception. It was my one "luxury item" and its also my regular backpacking knife here at home.

For those wanting "just the basics" the Opinel with corkscrew is really all you need. However, I think the basic Victronix with 2 blades, corkscrew, eyeglasses screwdriver, and tweezers is also a great choice. FWIW, neither the CS4 nor the "Swiss army knife" have locking blades.

With all that said the the most useful blade I had on the Camino was a lightweight kitchen knife, with a plastic cover, that I bought at a ferretería along the way. If you plan to cook, or find yourself cooking, this is far more useful than any pocket knife.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No offense to your Swiss heritage, but I purchased a "knock-off" in Pamplona at a Pilgrim store that had a beautiful wooden handle into which was engraved Camino Santiago and a shell with arrow. It is one of my keepsakes from my Camino. The most useful portions were the knife, corkscrew, awl (for poking holes), and the screwdriver bits. As to using the knife blade for cutting food.....I always carried some hand sanitizer that I could completely wipe the blade down with.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Exasperated by my scout's camping knife that would not have made any impression on butter, last summer I bought a beautifully serrated Victorinox knife en route. The knife not only cut effortlessly through crusty bread, but it also made a perfect surgical incision in my leg. It's the first time I've ever been in a position to contemplate a cross-section of my knee. Caveat viator!
Basically the reason why that man designed the first Workmate folding bench - except he sawed through a kitchen chair!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
OK, I'm off to bed now but before I say goodnight, well it's just got to be done:

Introducing the Wenger SAK 16999 - you can (and should) read the reviews http://tinyurl.com/mcgg4qv

Goodnight all.

Attachments

• Wenger SAK.jpg
    Wenger SAK.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

- a pair of scissors
- lightweight!
- a key chain

Last year I walked on the Camino Frances for almost 6 weeks and staying in Albergues.
I did not bring any knife and I never had any use for it.
One time I needed a sicsor(?) and I asked the host in the albergue for one.
For me a knife was just extra grams,
nice to have but not nessecary thing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My Opinel was confiscated at the security control of Valencia's railway station.

My EDC ("every-day carry") implement is a Leatherman Juice CS4. It will do just about everything but balance my checkbook, and is surprisingly light (159 grams) for its functionality.

Mine is an older version of this one. I took it with me to central Europe, in my checked bag of course! With one exception it was in my pocket everywhere we went. That exception was Prague Castle, where we had to go thru a security check.

Last edited:
OK, I'm off to bed now but before I say goodnight, well it's just got to be done:

Introducing the Wenger SAK 16999 - you can (and should) read the reviews.

I really liked this review: "I forgot the knife in the front pocket of my Swiss Army shorts and when my wife washed them it completely disassembled our washing machine." Now THAT's a knife! ;):D

€149,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Folks, here's the deal.

An effective "knife" (note the extremely broad interpretation) is one that accomplishes whatever mission or missions the owner/carrier needs/wants it to accomplish. For some, this only requires a SHARP single-edged blade. For those who drink wine, that blade should probably be augmented by a corkscrew. For those (like me) who prefer beer, that blade should probably be augmented by a bottle-opener.

Now, since my wife is a wine-fancier and I'm a beer-fancier, the "knife" I carry on the Camino should be able to open both wine bottles and beer bottles. From there it is but a hop, skip, and half-a-jump to carrying the same exact multi-tool that I plan to carry!!!! :D:D:D

Debate not needed here; this is just for FUN!

My Opinel was confiscated at the security control of Valencia's railway station.

So sorry to learn this. Because the Opinel blades can be locked in the open position, they are all-too-often considered a "fixed blade knife" which, in some people's eyes, is a serious no-no. (Never mind that it can also be locked in the closed position, left completely unlocked, or never opened at all....)

The lesson here is either to (a) place all edged/pointed implements -- including trekking poles it seems -- in checked luggage rather than carry-on, or to (b) plan to buy them once you've arrived.

When my wife, brother-in-law and I finally go, in 2019, I plan to enclose our telescoping hiking sticks/trekking poles, AND any Swiss Army Knives & multi-tools, in our checked luggage. That may mean enclosing them in one or more sturdy cardboard shipping tubes. If more than one tube is required, binding the tubes tightly together with packing tape should ensure that they're treated as a single item.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

- a pair of scissors
- lightweight!
- a key chain

Olygirl -
I have a couple of Swiss Army knives, different versions, at home, but for the El Camino I knew I could not carry it on board the airline (I did not check my luggage). So on arrival in St. Jean, I bought a nice simple one, an apple blade, a bottle opener/can opener, and a corkscrew-that's it. Tweezers and toothpick of course part of the knife. I used all of these, especially the blade for cutting sandwiches and cheese and apples. My other tools were separate items (tiny scissors, headlamp, phone charger, and so on) carried in my pack. Going home, I checked my pack as luggage so I could keep my "El Camino knife" as a souvenir. As soon as you arrive in St. Jean, you can buy a hiking pole and Swiss knife (with nice El Camino Logo on it). I hope this helps!
Buen Camino-
Mike

There is a thing called the Gerber Dime Tool. It's like a Swiss Army knife but without the blade. This would be good for people who are flying from the US and need a TSA friendly tool. Don't forget some duct tape and ziploc bags...they are very handy.

If you want to see more the weird little items that I brought with me, you can check out my packing list.

Bit late coming in, but to paraphrase a famous film line:

"You call those Camino pocket knives?

This is a Camino pocket knife!"

De Colores

Bogong

Attachments

• P1010553.JPG
    P1010553.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 29

€149,-

- a pair of scissors
- lightweight!
- a key chain

It already exists...
1569703805151.png

The Opinel is a locking knife...so in the UK not an EDC...an arrestable offence to carry one.

I have an Opinel No. 7 which when I started walking Camino's was just about legal in the UK. Just about meaning it was just over the 3" blade limit. However if you had a backpack and starting out on a walk you had a legal excuse to be carrying it. They then went and changed the law to ban locking knives so now my poor old No.7 has had the locking ring taken off to "legalise" it. In return it wants to take my fingers off but we are old friends so it stays with me on Camino, and I stay out of the hands of the law when in UK.
Note. I was told that even carrying the locking ring separately from the Opinel is enough to get you arrested if the officer is having a bad day.
Don.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.