• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The USA is having a "Bedbug Summit"

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
So - do these US bedbugs originate in Spain, or do Spanish bedbugs originate in the US? Have these bugs flown illegally, escaping all security, across the Atlantic?

If the bugs were subjected to a comparative DNA sample, or maybe a period of "questioning" in Guantanamo, then the truth could be revealed.

I think we should be told.

I think the bugs probably originate on every continent...
My grandmother used to tell me

"Good night,
Sleep Tight,
Don't let the bedbugs bite!"

and when I'd ask her what a bedbug was, she'd just laugh. I think there were plenty of bedbugs before DDT showed up on the scene, and now the bedbugs and roaches and other critters have just gotten stronger and laugh at the poisons.

I know I saw a map a few months back and the bugs are all along I-5 in California and Oregon.
I also know they had a heck of a bedbug problem in the student housing at Portland State last year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Anniesantiago said:
I think the bugs probably originate on every continent...
My grandmother used to tell me

"Good night,
Sleep Tight,
Don't let the bedbugs bite!"
Thanks Annie, you have revived a childhood memory. My Grandma's version was

"Good night,
Sleep Tight,
Don't let the bugs bite!
If they do squeeze them tight,
They won't come back another night!"

Grandma was born in 1886 before the days of sprays etc. So far this is an unused or needed piece of advice and long may that last. :D

So - do these US bedbugs originate in Spain, or do Spanish bedbugs originate in the US? Have these bugs flown illegally, escaping all security, across the Atlantic?
Bedbugs came to north America from Europe, but it was a long time ago, when immigrants brought their furniture with them.

Bedbugs came to north America from Europe, but it was a long time ago, when immigrants brought their furniture with them.
IN the US, post DDT, the problem was the chicken farms. Now also the odd tourist, but forst and foremost chicken farm workers bringing them home at night.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back