• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The use of blackmail in the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arturo garcia

Pilgrim/Hospitalero/Mountain guide/Photographer
Time of past OR future Camino
French way (Dic. 2012), Portuguese way (Dic.2013) and now living on the Camino.
I am a pilgrim, and also, I run an Albergue full season with my wife and we are very proud of what we do and how we do it., And its interesting the phenomenon of Blackmail on the internet and social networks.
The pilgrims sumerged in this phenomenon wants to behave in the albergue like they think is Ok, they feel they has freedoom to do anything they want, and when you come to say in a good manner, "Please don´t do it, this is a pilgrim´s Albergue and the rules are the same for all of us". They don´t tell you anything, They go straight to the internet and complain. Very bad. Is that Fair?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Whilst not fair at all, sadly that is often the way these days in any business........
People find it easier to express complaints online rather than 'fairly' to the business owner.

The best thing to do is to use the opportunity to 'calmly' address the complaint online.
That way other people see you as being fair, and the person complaining might be seen as being too critical.
Take complaints head on, and treat them as an opportunity to show others how you deal with these things professionally!

I often read bad online reviews and totally dismiss them! Obviously the writer had a grudge, hasn't traveled much, doesn't know how to behave etc etc.

Whilst not fair at all, sadly that is often the way these days in any business........
People find it easier to express complaints online rather than 'fairly' to the business owner.

The best thing to do is to use the opportunity to 'calmly' address the complaint online.
That way other people see you as being fair, and the person complaining might be seen as being too critical.
Take complaints head on, and treat them as an opportunity to show others how you deal with these things professionally!

I often read bad online reviews and totally dismiss them! Obviously the writer had a grudge, hasn't traveled much, doesn't know how to behave etc etc.
Thanks Robo! Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am a pilgrim, and also, I run an Albergue full season with my wife and we are very proud of what we do and how we do it., And its interesting the phenomenon of Blackmail on the internet and social networks.
The pilgrims sumerged in this phenomenon wants to behave in the albergue like they think is Ok, they feel they has freedoom to do anything they want, and when you come to say in a good manner, "Please don´t do it, this is a pilgrim´s Albergue and the rules are the same for all of us". They don´t tell you anything, They go straight to the internet and complain. Very bad. Is that Fair?
I think those who run albergues are generally rock stars. I can’t imagine what it’s like to do your best, day in and day out, while an endless pilgrim parade passes through, and to do it with a smile is such a great gift.
Thank-you for all you do for all the many of us!

When I make purchases on the internet I go to the negative reviews first. People are usually very pointed and specific with what they didn't like. Oftentimes I find that some of these people make themselves look like fools with their pettiness and general selfishness and one star reviews can actually be positive reviews in disguise. You didn't provide any specifics of these negative reviews but if somebody gave your albergue a negative review by saying you wouldn't allow them to play their radio after 10pm I would view that as a positive review!

Also many of these review sites do allow for the owner to state their side of the story. I highly recommend you do so and make sure you are very professional about it, don't get sucked in with name calling and getting all emotional about it.

You also might consider posting your rules for staying and expected behavior on these sites, that way there are no surprises when you have to ask somebody to not do something.

I think those who run albergues are generally rock stars. I can’t imagine what it’s like to do your best, day in and day out, while an endless pilgrim parade passes through, and to do it with a smile is such a great gift.
Thank-you for all you do for all the many of us!
You are right, we can compare this with an ultra marathon, 17 hours per day for 8 months. if you make a little mistake, everybody will know about it. Good souls spread the good part of our labor.

When I make purchases on the internet I go to the negative reviews first. People are usually very pointed and specific with what they didn't like. Oftentimes I find that some of these people make themselves look like fools with their pettiness and general selfishness and one star reviews can actually be positive reviews in disguise. You didn't provide any specifics of these negative reviews but if somebody gave your albergue a negative review by saying you wouldn't allow them to play their radio after 10pm I would view that as a positive review!

Also many of these review sites do allow for the owner to state their side of the story. I highly recommend you do so and make sure you are very professional about it, don't get sucked in with name calling and getting all emotional about it.

You also might consider posting your rules for staying and expected behavior on these sites, that way there are no surprises when you have to ask somebody to not do something.
That is very smart and wise from your part, thanks

What you describe is sad and unfair but I do not think it can really be called "blackmail": that suggests some sort of threat or demand is being made.
Is difficult for me to find the appropiate word in english, thanks

Arturo, I think the majority of pilgrims will appreciate your rules.
Just keep doing what you do for the pilgrims.
Believe me, the PILGRIMS appreciate it.
The tourists... let them go to a private hotel if they aren't happy !
Than
Arturo, I think the majority of pilgrims will appreciate your rules.
Just keep doing what you do for the pilgrims.
Believe me, the PILGRIMS appreciate it.
The tourists... let them go to a private hotel if they aren't happy !
Thanks what we feel, but am also very curious about this phenomenon and its effects

I agree with Robo. Give your response to the bad reviewer and address any issues they have posted. Also, spend some time ensuring those of your clients that love your establishment post positive reviews. Good luck.
thanks Laurie, will do!

I work in a business where internet gossip is prevalent and even some things about me. I ignore them. If a person doesn't have the integrity to make their statements face to face they are not worth speaking to or listening to.

Is difficult for me to find the appropiate word in english, thanks
Slander might be a better word, but even that might be too harsh. In any event he is sullying your name. And that is very hurtful.

Persons' perception of the same event can be so very different. I recall one time dealing with someone - in a work situation - in what I thought was a respectful manner. A few minutes later I overheard that person relating the incident to someone else, including what she perceived of my demeanour, and I was shocked, and hurt. (I had suspected this woman of lying to me in our earlier interaction and now she was lying to someone else about it.) As I think one of the posters above said, these people have issues.

As to what to do about it, I think others on this thread are giving good advice.

Slander might be a better word, but even that might be too harsh. In any event he is sullying your name. And that is very hurtful.

Persons' perception of the same event can be so very different. I recall one time dealing with someone - in a work situation - in what I thought was a respectful manner. A few minutes later I overheard that person relating the incident to someone else, including what she perceived of my demeanour, and I was shocked, and hurt. (I had suspected this woman of lying to me in our earlier interaction and now she was lying to someone else about it.) As I think one of the posters above said, these people have issues.

As to what to do about it, I think others on this thread are giving good advice.
Thanks so much for support icacos!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Than

Thanks what we feel, but am also very curious about this phenomenon and its effects
You find bullies everywhere. That's a real pity. I'm quite sure St James and his fellow travelers wouldn't have done something like that. So if one undertakes the camino and keeping St James in mind, then one would be more compassionate and considerate of fellow pilgrims and those who give shelter? Or has the camino become just one more adventure? Or perhaps I'm just being naive?

Arturo; is that you whom I just met yesterday with the wonderful albergue San Miguel in Hospital de Orbigo? I just gave a *GLOWING* recommendation here for people to visit your albergue. I have met few people whose success I wish for so much as yours.

Most review sites and blogs allow the purchaser of merchandise and services... whether that is for accommodations restaurants, goods, airlines, etc. to freely express their experience. Arturo, I would not be concerned with a bad review or two. Most folks look at the body of reviews and overall ratings. The pilgrim or the owner or the facility could have circumstances that do not make the stay ideal at that particular time. Most of us look for patterns. If pilgrims continually criticize the same issue over a period of time..then I would pay attention to the comments.
Otherwise, be at peace!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One should be cautious about believing reviews. Too easy for someone to fake a glowing review for their own place, or for a competitor or grumpy customer to lie about it. One 2012 review I saw claimed that the albergue was "filthy" and had no one who could understand Spanish. Having volunteered there eight or more months over the past four years, I doubt it was filthy, and I know that since before 2012, there has ALWAYS been at least one person there fluent in Spanish and usually more than one.

Arturo; is that you whom I just met yesterday with the wonderful albergue San Miguel in Hospital de Orbigo? I just gave a *GLOWING* recommendation here for people to visit your albergue. I have met few people whose success I wish for so much as yours.
If it is San Miguel, on Gronze I see 8 positive reviews and just one negative. As a pilgrim, I would look at the overall positive rating and make my own judgement.

Arturo, thanks for your post. You can see wisdom in the replies you have received! If someone has not got the grace to speak to you face to face, but uses internet to speak badly, then I would suggest that you do not pay any attention. I would find that hard, but it is not a good idea to play ping pong on a public space. You don't need to. I wish you and your wife continuing success, and gratification through your service to pilgrims!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think I have just read the offending review on Tripadvisor, and all I can say is, WOW what a *****. Expecting to be able to be up after 10pm and then getting up at 4 am!!! To me, that is the pilgrim from hell! Take no notice of the review, Arturo. To me, that is a really positive review as it tells me you enforce your sensible rules. Tell everyone your rules when they book in, and hopefully, people like this will not stay. Everyone else will really appreciate a decent night's sleep.

Well, selfish people can bully all they like.
But you know from walking how the peregrino grapevine works, right? You can trust that much more than an anonymous review online. When you offer heartfelt service and kindness, the word goes out...from person to person, directly.

Arturo; is that you whom I just met yesterday with the wonderful albergue San Miguel in Hospital de Orbigo?
There are very few places on the Camino Frances that I have not inhabited, and San Miguel is one of the best. Unfortunately, it is closed in the winter, so I have had to take alternative accommodations in Hospital de Orbigo for the last couple of years. I was there when "Dos Caballos" painted her self-portrait. I suspect it is still there!! Please do not be bothered by the "naysayers." Your "regular" patrons know that your albergue is a gem!!:):)

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love albergues with rules about behaviour @arturo garcia - and am always grateful when they are enforced. So I'd agree that this negative review is probably doing you a favour.

How I judge a place is usually about expectations. If I expect something absolutely fabulous it is easy to be disappointed. So sometimes glowing references are not a good thing! If you provide a good product then people will keep coming.

THe TripAdvisor review will do you no damage though I’m surprised that’s you didn’t reply to him and just restate your curfew rules. I for one would definite stay somewhere which doesn’t allow people to get up at 4am! The world is fully of brave people who won’t criticise to your face

Yes , I am! Hugs Morgan!

Thanks so much to all of you, I am wordless. Is amazing the way you are giving us a second air. Still two months of nice work here and we need your good energy. Hugs for all of you.

THe TripAdvisor review will do you no damage though I’m surprised that’s you didn’t reply to him and just restate your curfew rules. I for one would definite stay somewhere which doesn’t allow people to get up at 4am! The world is fully of brave people who won’t criticise to your face
Thanks lissie!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I do this too.....it is actually very useful....I was looking for a high speed blender earlier this year and the people who wrote negative views ALL put their hands into the blender where the blades are (after they turned the power off) and of course ended up in the emergency room.....and included pics of their bloodied hands.....so for me, this verified that the blades were indeed sharp and would grind up carrots, beets, etc......I really could not believe that these same people who would do such an ill advised thing would then actually publish it for all to see?!?!? As you said, they look like fools....

I’m sad for you. There are a minority of people who think an albergue is a posh hotel. An albergue as far as I can see is a part of a family. A Camino family. Please stay positive and continue to offer true pilgrims a sactuary.

As a pilgrim I would do the honour of the hospitalero and say lights out at ten and if you are walking earlier than six am get your gear ready and don’t wake the rest of us up, it works.

No. Praise in public, criticize in private. It has always been a good rule, but is lost in the world of instant gratification. In Europe you can have content deleted. I suggest you learn your privacy rights and enforce them. Do not be bullied by Facebook, Twitter, or Yelp. They are the turf of the cruel and angry. Learn to ignore them.
Wise words as usual Falcon! Just for info, I hope to start the Ruta de lana from Alicante on Wednesday. I thought I might try and write an Alison style guide for it at the same time. It will be similar to the one I wrote for the Almeria Granada route in 2015. Best to you and yours. Kev.

Arturo, I pray that your experience is not the same as one "alburgue" my son and I ran across last year on Hadrian's Wall. It was the most pleasant place we stayed, but we talked to the proprietor who told us that he had 2 experiences where someone rated his bunkhouse extremely low and would withdraw the review for cash - blackmail. I'm with robo and others who seldom read any negative review without question. If there is something pointed out that I can check on arrival, I do that. I'm sorry that you have to put up with that stuff, but I also believe that the majority of pilgrims both abide by the rules of the "road" and are fair in assessment. Thank you for your willingness to provide a place to rest.

100% behind countering the reviews in a direct but non-adversarial way. Take the moral high ground and even open with your weakness ie you have a curfew, you ask for quiet after a certain time etc. Directly address their complaint by pointing out why your rules are the way they are in a reasonable manner.
Also, super importantly, as has been mentioned above as well, ask patrons for good reviews. Especially people you’ve connected with. Ask each group as they leave to put a review on Yelp or Facebook or Booking.com or wherever you need. You’ll quickly outweigh the negatives and have stellar scores.
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm in two minds about responding to negative reviews. Sometimes it just draws attention to them, and can sound defensive. I suppose it depends on the forum, and how long the review is prominent. A difficult call.

Arturo, as you know, I too passed a night in your beautiful and welcoming Albergue San Miguel a couple of years ago. I think that my experience there is typical of of a far greater number of pereginos than those who might repay a friendly host with hostility. You (and Piero) and Albergue San Miguel are truly bright spots on the Camino, and a lens through which my entire Camino experience is enhanced to this very day.

¡Abrazos mi amigo!

Unfortunately, sone spoil the beauty of what it means to be a pilgrim.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As a pilgrim I would do the honour of the hospitalero and say lights out at ten and if you are walking earlier than six am get your gear ready and don’t wake the rest of us up, it works.
Thanks Mick, that´s what we do. in english, spanish, ltalian and corean, But....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What you describe is sad and unfair but I do not think it can really be called "blackmail": that suggests some sort of threat or demand is being made.

"I'll show you" with my petty online complaint review, is in my humble opinion the very definition of BM at it's worst. Everyone is an expert in all aspects of the service industry nowadays. Soap box artists is all they are in reality.

I am a pilgrim, and I accommodate pilgrims at my house, too. I am active on the "hospitalero network," so I hear a lot of the rumors and news that travels from one albergue to the next.

I have heard NOTHING but WONDERFUL things about your place, Arturo! You're a gold-star stop on the Way. No worries.
Thanks so much rebekah!

Unfortunately, although this is an old thread it is still relevant today...it is a product of the Wild West Web.
Social platforms (and this one is no different) of criticising businesses who may be unable to answer back and give a balanced fair view of incidents or service.
The anonymity of the web (sometimes through the use of encrypted service providers such as protonmail) can give succour to "keyboard warriors" who use cowardly, nasty attacks on businesses and individuals.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back