• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Via Transilvanica, a walk through rural Romania

Time of past OR future Camino
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
A man with a goal to revitalize Romania's rural areas has created, with the help of 10,000 volunteers, a 1,400 km hike/bike trail across the country. The Via Transilvanica can be biked in about three weeks and hiked in around two months. If you want to take things a bit at a time the route passes through seven regions where each region has its own cuisine and culture.

Euronews: Explore ‘the most spectacular landscape on the continent’: Romania’s answer to El Camino de Santiago.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In 2019 I walked the Norte with Pilgrims from Romania who talked about this . I had the impression it was not going to be open until 2025. Thank you for information.

The website for the Via Transilvanica says that the official opening was on October 8th.

The website is at:Use the menu to get the English language version.

The full track is shown on Google Maps where you can explore it using Maps' features such as satellite view and street view. Portions of the Transilvanica are shown with tracks in different colors.

Looks like the expected route is north to south. I've followed a small part of the track in that direction taking a few turns and saw directional signs but not when I went in reverse.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The website for the Via Transilvanica says that the official opening was on October 8th.

The website is at:
Use the menu to get the English language version.

The full track is shown on Google Maps where you can explore it using Maps' features such as satellite view and street view. Portions of the Transilvanica are shown with tracks in different colors.

Looks like the expected route is north to south. I've followed a small part of the track in that direction taking a few turns and saw directional signs but not when I went in reverse.
Thank you Rick. I looked at the English PDF. Very comprehensive: what to pack, what to wear, wildlife, accommodation, cost, how to text in Romanian for lodging/room and food, etc... I'd love to walk this route. One advice gives me pause. It makes safety sense. It's not recommended for solo hikers due to the wilderness and possible attacks by wildlife. I am a solo hiker. I will continue to follow information on this route. Since you have walked part of this route, do you have comments about the issue of safety for solo hikers? Thanks and buen camino wherever your treks might be.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I looked at the English PDF.
That makes you the forum expert on this walk. I only found out about the Via Transylvanica this morning. My "walk" was a few minutes using Google Street View. I did see a photo of a sign saying in English something like don't walk at night because of bears. I would take it seriously but I'm not particularly worried as Peg and I have backpacked a couple of times in grizzly country and also have had bears walk by our tent at night a few times. I have learned the hard way though that you don't tickle them until you've known each other for awhile.

This walk does look interesting. I'll be looking into more.

A friend did most of it in 2022. He wasn't able to enjoy it much because he was often followed by quite aggressive farm dogs. So he had to use fireworks at times to make them keep their distance. But he found it well organised and provisioned.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.