• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The wait is over, but unfortunately the weight is over.

andywild

Time of past OR future Camino
CF april 18.. CP sep 18.. CF april 2020
Well folks, the time is nearly here. A couple of days and I'm off to Biarritz!! No more training walks, no more equipment gathering. The result of a few month's training is that I feel no healthier and have not lost any weight. In a last ditch attempt to save a few grams I had a beard trim which means my weight has gone from 101.605kg to a positively slim 101.600kg I'm hoping that the 5g advantage will propel me gazelle-like over the pyranees.
For anyone starting around the 18th and walking over the next 5 or 6 weeks, keep an eye out for me and be sure to say hello. And for those that would like to be with me in spirit if not in person feel free to follow my blog which I hope to be updating with my tales of athleticism as I bound effortlessly along the way of St James.
I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone that has joined in with my ramblings on here and given advice and support whilst I prepared for this journey.
See you on/from the trail !!

Andy

firstcamino.wordpress.com

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buen Camino!
And yes, same here, thanks for the humour! Made me laugh!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Will Andy be the first pilgrim to walk out of the pilgrims office in St Jean straight into a waiting taxi ? :)
I may as well use the same taxi that I get from the train station to the pilgrim's office. I'm just praying there's a drive-thru McDonald's before I attempt the tricky drive up to Orisson :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good luck Andy. I've heard crazy stories about people who have done a lot less training and planning to do a lot more km's. What idiots they are :)
So you should be fine! Have a great Camino!

Make sure you keep the beard trimmed. The extra beard grams might turn out to be the straw that breaks the camel’s back! Buen camino anyway - you are bound to enjoy yourself!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'll see you at Orisson on the 18th.

Buen Camino Andy! Look forward to following you on your blog. Wish I could walk with you but I'll be two weeks behind. Enjoy!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen Camino Andy.

I'm starting walking on Tuesday 17th but going direct to Roncesvalles so I will be ahead of you but no doubt with your stealth athleticism you will have caught me up by the weekend.

Best of Luck

Madfrank

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well folks, the time is nearly here. A couple of days and I'm off to Biarritz!! No more training walks, no more equipment gathering. The result of a few month's training is that I feel no healthier and have not lost any weight. In a last ditch attempt to save a few grams I had a beard trim which means my weight has gone from 101.605kg to a positively slim 101.600kg I'm hoping that the 5g advantage will propel me gazelle-like over the pyranees.
For anyone starting around the 18th and walking over the next 5 or 6 weeks, keep an eye out for me and be sure to say hello. And for those that would like to be with me in spirit if not in person feel free to follow my blog which I hope to be updating with my tales of athleticism as I bound effortlessly along the way of St James.
I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone that has joined in with my ramblings on here and given advice and support whilst I prepared for this journey.

Andy

Buen Camino

You have my sympathy.... I was determined from January to lose some weight, but failed miserably. I did have a haircut before I set off, but that was to aid swift drying.

But I can report that, 24 days into my Camino, my formerly tight trousers are distinctly loose. This despite eating as much as I fancy of anything that appeals.

If only I could spend the rest of my life walking 20K per day.... but real life gets in the way, eh?

Andy

Have a great journey

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Andy

Ultreia Andy. See you somewhere enroute I expect. Buen Camino

Andy

think of the extra weight as invaluable storage to keep you going when others fade. i'll be hobbling along 10 days after you but there in spirit. buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’ll be a couple of days behind you, @andywild. I’ll be the other heavily bearded pilgrim. Hopefully we can cross paths, grab a beer and share grooming tips. See you out there, pilgrim!

I’ll be a couple of days behind you, @andywild. I’ll be the other heavily bearded pilgrim. Hopefully we can cross paths, grab a beer and share grooming tips. See you out there, pilgrim!
You'll catch me up in no time.. look forward to seeing you out there :)

It all sounds like a lot of fun. I hope the weather improves for you all. Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sorry Andy. Didn't any one tell you you can't get a Compostela unless ALL of you makes the pilgrimage. Go back and get those hairs. You will need them. If you don't, have a wonderful trip and way.

Andy

Buen Camino. Thanks for sharing your blog address. I added your blog to my news reader.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Andy

Buen Camino.
Hope to meet you on the way. Take care and have fun!

Buen Camino, Andy, your humorous attitude will make your journey fun.

Sorry Andy. Didn't any one tell you you can't get a Compostela unless ALL of you makes the pilgrimage. Go back and get those hairs. You will need them. If you don't, have a wonderful trip and way.
Luckily I kept the hairs and have glued them to a potato as a keepsake for my dear old mother. something to remember me by whilst I'm away. I guess I'll have to get the razor out and leave her with a bald potato.. to be honest it's still quite a good likeness.
Thanks for the tip!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back