• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Way 2

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
The-way2.jpg

This might have been mentioned before... but it seems there is a 2nd "The Way" movie in the works.

Shooting starts this summer, hoping to premier it easter 2024. It will take place in Nigeria, Dublin, Brussels, Amsterdam and on the Camino del Norte.

More here:

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
View attachment 147039

This might have been mentioned before... but it seems there is a 2nd "The Way2 movie in the works.

Shooting starts this summer, hoping to premier it easter 2024. It will take place in Nigeria, Dublin, Brussels, Amsterdam and on the Camino del Norte.

More here:
For Real?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This projected film was talked about, from about 2 years after The Way was released, though most film projects never escape project status.

Interesting.

The one I'm most looking forward to though is Bill Bennett's adaptation of his The Way, My Way which is now in active and financed production.

My favourite three existing Camino films, in terms of cinematic quality, are -- in simple chronological order -- Buñuel's ; Saint-Jacques-la-Mecque ; and The Way.

I keep seeing mention of Saint-Jacques-la-Mecque but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Do you have access?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This projected film was talked about, from about 2 years after The Way was released, though most film projects never escape project status.

Interesting.

The one I'm most looking forward to though is Bill Bennett's adaptation of his The Way, My Way which is now in active and financed production.

My favourite three existing Camino films, in terms of cinematic quality, are -- in simple chronological order -- Buñuel's ; Saint-Jacques-la-Mecque ; and The Way.
I have read Bennets book and would certainly like to see a movie version.

I keep seeing mention of Saint-Jacques-la-Mecque but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Do you have access?
I had the same question! Never having heard of it before this forum, I also kept seeing mentions and really want to watch.

If you are in the US, zone-restrictions will block out a European DVD. Blu-ray is sometimes an option - but I unfortunately see the same zone-restrictions for this film on Blu-ray. We picked up a cheap Blue-ray player (~$50) specifically to watch foreign films unavailable otherwise (Travelling Cat Chronicles!). Wish we could do it for this one, but Amazon specifically says it will not work here. :-(

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
View attachment 147039

This might have been mentioned before... but it seems there is a 2nd "The Way" movie in the works.

More here:
On May 20th, Rick Steves is broadcasting his interview with Sheen about his travels
https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/radio

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't know how I feel about this. I love "The Way". But sequels don't always work as well. Also - will it bring about another surge of higher pilgrim numbers? To the Frances and/or the Norte which seems to be the focus this time. Can the Norte handle a surge of pilgrims? There aren't that many albergues to begin with.

On the other hand - I am interested in it also taking place in NIgeria, Dublin, Amsterdam, and Brussels. Does this mean they will write about what inspires people to go first - and then show their journey? Or show a connection between the pilgrims and their family/friends back at home? Or how people change when they return home? Could be interesting.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sometimes copy strikes happen through good intentions on YT..so i wont post a link on a YouTube channel which might Mention a movie called..
"The Way El camino de santiago",typed in verbatum. Entirely in spanish with no captions.
Aqui no hay Tapas,ay Pinchos..

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't know how I feel about this. I love "The Way". But sequels don't always work as well. Also - will it bring about another surge of higher pilgrim numbers? To the Frances and/or the Norte which seems to be the focus this time. Can the Norte handle a surge of pilgrims? There aren't that many albergues to begin with.

On the other hand - I am interested in it also taking place in NIgeria, Dublin, Amsterdam, and Brussels. Does this mean they will write about what inspires people to go first - and then show their journey? Or show a connection between the pilgrims and their family/friends back at home? Or how people change when they return home? Could be interesting.
The sequel finds Tom, the Opthamologist, working for Doctors Without Borders, doing cataract surgery in Nigeria. There he comes across a Camino-themed book written by “Jack,” the oddball Irish writer from the original film, “The Way.”

Tom leaves Nigeria to travel to Ireland to find and talk to Jack about his book. From there, they continue onto Amsterdam. Remember Joost, the rotund Dutchman?

Then, the plot makes is way back to the Camino in Spain - this time the Camino del Norte - IIRC.

I got all this from the article in La Voz de Galicia over the weekend.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Last edited:
The sequel finds Tom, the Opthamologist, working for Doctors Without Borders, doing cataract surgery in Nigeria. There he comes cross a Camino-themed book written by “Jack,” the oddball Irish writer from the iriginal film, “The Way.”

Tom leaves Nigeria to travel to Ireland to find and talk to Jack about his book. From there, they continue onto Amsterdam. Remember Joost, the rotund Dutchman?

Then, the plot makes is way back to the Camino in Spain - this time the Camino del Norte - IIRC.

I got all this from the article in La Voz de Galicia over the weekend.

Hope this helps,

Tom
LOL... thanks! I hadn't had time to translate the articles people had been posting yet.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A terrifying prospect ... The Way was what brought me and hordes of others to the Camino in the first place, with the predictable consequences. Now we face the prospect of a franchise of The Way, each featuring a different Camino and drawing thousands of people hungry for camaraderie and enlightenment.

Many will go on to become Camino addicts, with full-blown Caminitis

There's only solution for those of us who like the Camino as it is, or was. We need to produce a movie of our own, revealing the truth of the Camino: hills, rain, blisters, snoring, fiendish hospitaleros, racing for beds, snarling Buen Camino through gritted teeth ... A hard-hitting showing the Road to Hell.

A terrifying prospect ... The Way was what brought me and hordes of others to the Camino in the first place,
It may have brought you to the Camino but I think the impact of the movie in bringing hordes to the Caminos is often exaggerated. Particularly amongst we English-speakers here on the forum. There was no massive spike in numbers after the film's release - numbers simply continued to grow at the same pace as before. The movie certainly increased awareness of the Camino in the USA and Canada and numbers from those countries have grown in recent years but that is a minor feature in the overall landscape of the Camino. I wonder how many of the 238,000 Spanish people who received a Compostela last year would say that they were inspired to walk the Camino by that particular movie?

. I wonder how many of the 238,000 Spanish people who received a Compostela last year would say that they were inspired to walk the Camino by that particular movie?
Very few. I think that the presence of foreign pilgrims inspires many Spaniards because they think the Camino is "important", but Germans, Italians, Koreans, Portugueses, Brasilians would also come without this movie.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, but this is to underestimate the power of returning pilgrims to encourage others to walk. So even if a small number are inspired by the movie, they'll infect large numbers of potential pilgrims among their acquaintance. Soon a Kardashian will turn up and then it goes viral. Enjoy it while it lasts folks ☘️

Yes, but this is to underestimate the power of returning pilgrims to encourage others to walk. So even if a small number are inspired by the movie, they'll infect large numbers of potential pilgrims among their acquaintance. Soon a Kardashian will turn up and then it goes viral. Enjoy it while it lasts folks ☘️
This year looks set to have over 100 times the number of pilgrims for the year of my first Camino. So I don't think I am underestimating the potential for growth. But the Camino Frances has existed for nearly 40 years as a signposted route with guides and maps and pilgrim accommodation. In that time millions have walked it and returned home and told their friends about it. The result has already been an enormous and sustained growth in numbers over several decades. Plus a mass of movies, videos, books, podcasts, newspaper articles and tv series. Isn't it likely that most of those who might be predisposed to walk a Camino have already been exposed to that virus by now? I find it hard to believe that one relatively low-budget and limited distribution independent movie or one high profile celebrity is likely to have a significant explosive impact on Camino numbers.

Very true, it's word of mouth and an aura of spiritual/adventurous chic that is driving the growth in numbers, not movies, articles and the like. But it seems to me that the real growth is to come, the experience is so powerful, and so accessible, that the numbers seen so far are just the beginning of a Camino explosion. If modern life is the problem, the Camino is the solution. It has what everyone wants.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I think this has been released in the US now?
Anyone know where we can see it online?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
IMDB shows it as being "in development" still.
I saw a thread about the possible sequel on Facebook a couple of days ago. Mostly wishful thinking and uninformed speculation. One post sounded a little more definite. No idea what Jacqueline's role in the business is so I have no idea what weight to put on her comment.

1705575253078.png

What is the third film?
Buñuel's?
I can't find anything other than a Spanish Film maker by that name?

Also has anyone in UK successfully found anywhere you can watch Saint-Jacques-la-Mecque via?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Martin Sheen spoke at the American Pilgrims on the Camino annual virtual open house this past December. I do not have a link to the recording, but I suspect there is one out there, possibly on their Facebook group (I can't check since I don't Tweet, 'Gram, Toc the Tic, or Book the Face). Martin Sheen said that his son Emilo is currently seeking funding for the film.

Also, they together recorded an interview with Rick Steves as part of the re-release of The Way last spring. Although Mr. Steves has a tendency to promote his political agenda, I thought it was entertaining. You can watch it here.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
FWIW that backpack photo is ridiculous, it's a movie prop obviously lacking meaningful weight.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Also has anyone seen this? It was recommended to me by a Camino friend, but I have so far been unable to find somewhere to watch it.
View attachment 162315
I watched this a few days ago on a flight from Sydney to Paris. In English the title is On the Wandering Paths. It’s about a writer / explorer who suffers terrible injuries in a fall. As he slowly learns to walk again he decides he will walk across France on long forgotten paths. It’s not set on a camino path. I appreciated this film.

@davejsy A Google search tells me it’s available on various streaming services.

Last edited:
I watched this a few days ago on a flight from Sydney to Paris. In English the title is On the Wandering Paths. It’s about a writer / explorer who suffers terrible injuries in a fall. As he slowly learns to walk again he decides he will walk across France on long forgotten paths. It’s not set on a camino path. I appreciated this film.
It's not bad, but it rushes the end, and completely ignores about 40% at least of the journey over the flatter areas of France ; but I felt it's also rushed in regard to the psychological changes between the middle of a route and the ending of it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What is the third film?

Also has anyone in UK successfully found anywhere you can watch Saint-Jacques-la-Mecque via?
Yup - Luis Buñuel. He was Spanish but worked primarily in France. The Milky Way is his

@davejsy A Google search tells me it’s available on various streaming services.
Yes I managed to watch it a couple of weeks ago via a paid for thing. I enjoyed it but concur with @JabbaPapa that it seemed rushed and they'd tried to cram a lot in without it really flowing freely. I guess the book would be wonderful if only my French stretched farther than saying hello and ordering a beer :(

Yes I managed to watch it a couple of weeks ago via a paid for thing. I enjoyed it but concur with @JabbaPapa that it seemed rushed and they'd tried to cram a lot in without it really flowing freely.
I get what you're saying though it didn't bother me. I had not heard of the film and had no expectations - on a voyage of more than 24 hours, I was just grateful for an interesting distraction!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I saw on one of the interview clips that Martin Sheen actually carried a fully-loaded backpack as he wanted it to be as authentic as possible.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
What is the third film?

Also has anyone in UK successfully found anywhere you can watch via?

Buñuel’s “La Voie Lactée” is a somewhat irreverent film. It has little in common with the other films mentioned in this thread.

To quote the sleeve notes on a Buñuel Collection: “One of the most challenging and irreverent of the director’s later works.”
And Buñuel’s films were certainly challenging to a Roman Catholic sensibility.

I searched for “Saint-Jacques-la-Mecque” for ages. I have a feeling Mubi has streamed it at some point in the past but it’s not available at the moment.
I think it has been possible to stream it in the EU (😢) somewhere but not in the UK.

Buñuel’s “La Voie Lactée” is a somewhat irreverent film. It has little in common with the other films mentioned in this thread.

To quote the sleeve notes on a Buñuel Collection: “One of the most challenging and irreverent of the director’s later works.”
And Buñuel’s films were certainly challenging to a Roman Catholic sensibility.

I searched for “Saint-Jacques-la-Mecque” for ages. I have a feeling Mubi has streamed it at some point in the past but it’s not available at the moment.
I think it has been possible to stream it in the EU (😢) somewhere but not in the UK.

Buñuel is indeed an acquired taste!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I enjoyed his "The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie" ... a sardonic take on the manners and style of the European upper-middle-class elites, on their manners and mores and political attitudes. These haven't changed much, as anyone who's encountered the young European walkers on the Camino can I think attest. Which raises the question, why are there so few working-class pilgrims? A branding problem?

Not in the UK 😕
It can be purchased from Amazon but it either comes from NZ or Switzerland 😳
Reading a few articles online recently it seems that there have been long and complicated negotiations over the distribution rights for the film. Which is probably in part why it is so hard to find legitimate copies online.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Nope. Fine actor, effective producer.

It was the thought of his rucksack floating down the river that prompted that muse ;)
Yes we never got to see what any of them had to make their rucksacks so huge so being Emilio I can only take that as very subtle satire (same as the "gratuitous butt walk" of bloke at clothesline). We saw from night in the open they did not have tents and they were all wearing the normally largest bit of kit ie the "ski jacket".

So yes the fact it floated sort of explains the reason for this scene (apart from pedant bait for wrong bridge) and the associated scenes where they all keep "flipping" their huge backpack onto their backs with the greatest of ease

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back