• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"The Way", a film directed by Emilio Estevez

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
Near the end of the film, Tom (Martin Sheen) is about to get his compostela when he changes his mind and asks for it to be given in the name of his son, Daniel. The compostela is dated 5th November, 2010. The film was shot in 2009 and premiered in Santiago in 2010. Everything about the scene seems genuine to me, so I wonder why they put a false date on the compostela. I suppose everything else about the compostela (which just amounts to the name "Daniel Avery") is false, too, so why worry about the date, but I do.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Because it was to be released in 2010 (not 2009), they wanted all the dates in the film to be 2010. There is a youtube somewhere of Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez addressing a university (I think) audience, and explaining this. I'm sure someone here can find the video link!
Jill

Near the end of the film, Tom (Martin Sheen) is about to get his compostela when he changes his mind and asks for it to be given in the name of his son, Daniel. The compostela is dated 5th November, 2010. The film was shot in 2009 and premiered in Santiago in 2010. Everything about the scene seems genuine to me, so I wonder why they put a false date on the compostela. I suppose everything else about the compostela (which just amounts to the name "Daniel Avery") is false, too, so why worry about the date, but I do.
I started to type a response, but I see that Jill has explained it better than I could.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I suppose everything else about the compostela (which just amounts to the name "Daniel Avery") is false, too, so why worry about the date, but I do.
I don't know whether you noticed it but the name Daniel Avery on the movie's Compostela must be another artistic liberty, for obvious reasons :). They tend to convert first names to their Latin equivalent which needs to be put into fourth case (accusative) in Latin, so a "real life" Compostela has Danielem instead of Daniel, like this:

Danielem.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know whether you noticed it but the name Daniel Avery on the movie's Compostela must be another artistic liberty, for obvious reasons :). They tend to convert first names to their Latin equivalent which needs to be put into fourth declension in Latin, so a "real life" Compostela has Danielem instead of Daniel, like this:

View attachment 38896
They may do that for the Daniels of the world, but there was no attempt to Latinize my name. It is “Cherie” on both Compostelas.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't know whether you noticed it but the name Daniel Avery on the movie's Compostela must be another artistic liberty, for obvious reasons :). They tend to convert first names to their Latin equivalent which needs to be put into fourth declension in Latin, so a "real life" Compostela has Danielem instead of Daniel, like this:

They didn't convert my name to Latin. :(

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mine does not get converted either. I have been assuming it is because my real name ends in er and thus is not Latin friendly? Does any Latin scholar know if this is the case?

because my real name ends in er and thus is not Latin friendly?
Plenty of nouns in Latin with an -er ending, for example pater (father) and mater (mother). The grammatical form of these nouns that is required in the sentence used in the Compostela would be patrem and matrem. The Pilgrims Office uses a database and if your first name has been around in Europe and assorted countries during the Middle Ages it ought to be included. So I assume that either your first name is too modern or too "foreign" or they didn't manage to locate it in the database.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm going a bit off topic here ... apologies. I personally think they could drop the declension of first names on the Compostela, ie treat them as nouns where the ending never changes in Latin, in particular since they make no attempt to convert surnames. I just noticed that the Book of Esther (a section of the Bible) used to be called Liber Estherae in Latin but the current Latin version on the Vatican's webpage calls it Liber Esther and the ending of Queen Esther's name never changes throughout the text. Daniel could just stay as Daniel. It would make at least one pilgrim happy who explained to his readers on his blog about his Compostela that "Danielem = kind of a lame name in Latin".;)

From the reports here, it sounds as though it depends on who is filling out the Compostela at the time whether latinization is utilized or not.

When complete, I will be happy to receive it in any form.

As for the movie, I can see that continuity was achieved with this apparent faux pas. It does not diminish the film for me, which I am watching right now..... "Tour the Cathedral, El Sid is buried there, the Chuck Heston film...."

Semper Paratus

Last edited:
Plenty of nouns in Latin with an -er ending, for example pater (father) and mater (mother). The grammatical form of these nouns that is required in the sentence used in the Compostela would be patrem and matrem. The Pilgrims Office uses a database and if your first name has been around in Europe and assorted countries during the Middle Ages it ought to be included. So I assume that either your first name is too modern or too "foreign" or they didn't manage to locate it in the database.
True.
My first name is Boštjan which they wouldn't find in their database and is Slavic for Sebastian (Bastian very often in German/Nordic countries). If you know what your modernized first name is derived from - that's it, you'll get your Latin name on the Compostela :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Re: the ‘latinisation’ of names at the Compostela office...

My name (Scott) was latinised to Scotorum, and I my walking family immediately nicknamed me “Knackers” ... ;)
That is possibly the best thing I've ever read.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back