• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Way Film, is the food experience as good as it looks?

TheWay

In that film 'The Way' you see so many delicious looking meals!! I've watched the movie and am really inspired. Can anyone tell me if you can really eat big traditional meals with friends and locals? Can anyone compare the film and the real experience in terms of food for me?
Thanks!!
(If you haven't heard of the film, here is a link to the Australian facebook page for it: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 8446443308)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Experience is even better. Food is worse. Tapas is just an excuse to not cook and serve cold leftovers.

Compared to France the food is not as good. Jost did have a nice big Cabrito though. I had a similar one in Burgos...not bad.

Compare to Aussie food ummm.... well... I'll just say you'll eat well in Spain, if you can live without those Mrs. Mac's meat pies from the microwave. :D

TheWay said:
In that film 'The Way' you see so many delicious looking meals!! I've watched the movie and am really inspired. Can anyone tell me if you can really eat big traditional meals with friends and locals? Can anyone compare the film and the real experience in terms of food for me?
Thanks!!
(If you haven't heard of the film, here is a link to the Australian facebook page for it: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 8446443308)
I think you should expect the director to have exercised some artistic licence.

That said, the food experience is very much what you are prepared to make of it, and pay for. Larger towns and the cities will have a wide range of choices on offer, smaller towns will be more limited.

Remember also that if you are staying in albergues, the evening curfew many of them impose will mitigate against dining later in the evening when most most restaurants switch from the pilgrim meal service to their regular dinner service.

Regards,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The food is good and varied, but picky eaters and vegetarians will have their work cut out for them. Almost every dish (except some salads and dessert) starts with some animal, and they pretty much use the entire animal.

The food, as with anything, is a personal view on quantity, quality, etc.

Having grown up in an Italian home...I learned to get along with pasta and tomato sauce, pasta and sausage, pasta (leftover) salad and a lot of bread...homemade, of couse. An Oso Buco or lobster at holidays...and life is good.

I served throughout the world: Royal Marines...mystery meat with heavy brown gravy...many, many pints all round. Norwegian Guard Company...fish for breakfast, with cheese and jam...same for lunch. Supper not a mystery...often what we shot while in the Kirkenes area...deep dish Berry Pudding is to die for.

South Africa: great lamb dishes and super Shepherd's Pie (Bobotie), Rock Lobster and...Cape Malva pudding.

OK, now for Spain and the Camino food: You see a lot of sheep running around, especially in Basque country...but not much lamb in restaurants. I think, one of the best "communal" meals I had was my first at the Refuge Orisson...fantastic and not to be missed. Most albergue municipal have an area to cook, but it's the private albergues that can serve a great meal...usually of regional dishes: Paella, Garlic soup, Pulpo (I'll pass). Getting a large steak is problematical. I like a thick, juicy piece of meat...usually you get something like flank steak...over cooked. Private homes are another story...the Breakfast, Lunch and Supper at the Casa da Dona Fernanda on the Caminho Portuguese tops many of my suggestions.

All this said...when you are hungry, wet, cold and tired...ALL warm food is the best...because you're not being picky.

Buen "Now pass the vinotinto" Camino

Arn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is really wonderful food in SPain but the pilgrim's schedule does not usually coincide with Spain's schedule. Due to curfews at albergues (and being tired), you will nearly always have a very early evening meal and will be in bed by the time Spanish people are at restaurants (and by the time that restaurants are serving meals). As such, you generally will eat bar food/sandwiches, etc. rather than a regular meal. The best meals I had were when I arrived in town by early afternoon, went to the albergue, showered, and then found a restaurant to eat a big lunch at around 3:00 p.m. I guess I could have had more of these meals but I didn't really enjoy having a big meal when I still had walking to do for the day.

I will tell you -- the scene in St.Jean PdP, when he first arrives in France, and is sitting in the outdoor cafe, when he meets the Dutch pilgrim -- that is a real restaraunt in SJPdP, it's where I ate the night before I started walking! It's delightful, reasonably priced, friendly staff.

As far as eating gourmet food, well, the others are correct, it won't happen often on the Camino for a variety of reasons. But you WILL, quite often, sit around a communal table and share a meal with other pilgrims, and yes, sometimes locals. Truthfully, those are the meals I remember the most, whether or not the food was fancy. Sometimes it was just pasta and vegetables in a donativo run by a local parish, sometimes it was a little more 'upscale'. But the real value, and the real memories, come from the shared experience!

But, if you are looking for some awesome food, I recommend the albergue in Orisson (for the amazing food and SOOOOO much more!), the little bar next to the monastery in San Juan de Ortega (best. blood sausage. ever.), pretty much anything in Burgos, the helado in Leon (I suggest Cafe Albany, across from the cathedral), the dinner at the Brazilian-run albergue in Vega de Valcarce... and definitely the local soft cheeses of Galicia! For a bit of a splurge, but totally worth it, on the way down from O Cebreiro, in the village of Biduedo, there's a tiny pension called Casa Xato, run by a delightful woman called Celia. She'll cook you up an amazing dinner and a breakfast in the morning, all primarily made by herself with ingredients from her farm. And she treats you like a guest in her own home! Private rooms & bathrooms, to boot :D

Yes, you'll be eating a lot of bocadillos (sandwiches) and tortillas (somewhere along the lines of an omelette or quiche) and ensaladas mixtas (mixed salads). But again, you'll rarely eat alone, and it's the company that you'll remember the most!

Sister Pearl, what was the name of the restaurant in SJPP? Rick

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is great food along the camino. Anyone who slams tapas has never done a proper bar-crawl in Leon! Sadly, sometimes you have to look in the truckers´cafes and the streets that lie a few meters off the actual camino... and way too many pilgrims just go where their guidebooks tell them, and are too tired to explore very far from the albergues, or too hungry to wait til 2:30 p.m. for lunch.

Our here on the perimeter, lunchtime is the main meal of the day. There is usually a cafe someplace in town where all the carpenters, electricians, and railway workers go for the "menu del dia," usually for about 9 Euro you get a wide choice of starters, mains, dessert and drink. (Do not confuse it with the Pilgrim Menu, which is often like eating at a tourist trap -- cheap, salty carbs and processed microwave meals no self-respecting Spaniard would touch.)

An example: The Menu del Dia at El Codorniz in Sahagun is very good, and a great value, but make sure they give you the full lineup of choices -- they assume foreigners won´t eat serious Spanish things like churrasco or homemade San Jacobo or callos! On the Madrid route is Villada, where Pili´s Casa de Comidas offers one of the best Menu del Dias I have ever had, with amazing fish offerings.

At dessert time (even with pilgrim menus) always ask which of the desserts are "de casera," or home made. Otherwise you may get the flan or cuajada or rice pudding in the manufacturer´s plastic cup! Fresh fruit is usually offered, too, for those who think Spain is short on fruit and veg.

After that big lunch you can take a good nap, and hit the grocery in the evening for the makings of a light dinner and the next day´s picnic breakfast or lunch.

As Rebekah noted at lunch the Menu de Dia can be a great value and pleasure! Whenever I walk I look for workers' places. Last November at La Curiosa in Mansilla de las Mulas an outstanding daily menu was 10€. It included creamed cauliflower with bacon, grilled salmon and scalloped potatoes, lemon pudding, rosé wine and coffee! Wow! The Michelin inspector should visit soon! In Ferreios exactly 100 km from Santiago there is a perfect small albergue with only 22 beds amidst a beautiful landscape. Nearby down the hill next to the church is a very good and very friendly restaurant/bar, Meson Mirabilos. My truly delicious Sunday lunch was fresh clam soup, breaded veal cutlet with cream sauce, cheese tart, thick country bread, water, wine and coffee for 10 euros! What a bargain! (This is NOT the place next to the albergue which is neither friendly nor good.)

Margaret

Oh, rickster, I am sorry, but I honestly have no idea what the restaurant is called! By the time I arrived in St. Jean, I had been travelling for two days, had taken two airplanes, 3 busses and a taxi, had barely slept in that time AND was battling jetlag... I do remember that it was close to the pilgrim's office, just down the road and down a small hill to the right. There were two restaurants next to each other on the right side, both with menus on chalkboards outside, I don't remember which one I ended up going into. I do remember that I walked straight through the inside of the restaurant to their outdoor seating in the back, which is where I ate, and what you see in the movie. I had a delightful seafood soup and fresh bread, I called my husband to let him know I had arrived safely, and then I stumbled back to the pension and fell asleep immediately!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I believe the restaurant in SJPdP that is in the opening scene of The Way is Chez Dede, also known as la Vielle Auburge, at 3 rue de la France . Here is a link to their page in the tourist bureau listing./www.saintjeanpieddeport-paysbasque.../restaurant-la-vieille-auberge-chez-dede.html. As Sister Pearl said it is just around the corner from the rue de la Citadelle and the offices of the Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle where you get your Credential.

Buen Camino and Bon Appetite!

Margaret

PS I have eaten here on all my Caminos.

Thanks for the great feedback. I continue to be amazed at the wealth of info and timely feedback on this forum!

I believe the restaurant in SJPdP that is in the opening scene of The Way is Chez Dede, also known as la Vielle Auburge, at 3 rue de la France . Here is a link to their page in the tourist bureau listing./www.saintjeanpieddeport-paysbasque-tourisme.com/fr/restaurants/restaurant/fiche/restaurant-la-vieille-auberge-chez-dede.html. As Sister Pearl said it is just around the corner from the rue de la Citadelle and the offices of the Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle where you get your Credential.

Buen Camino and Bon Appetite!

Margaret

PS I have eaten here on all my Caminos.

I think it's this place: http://www.tourisme64.com/restauran...arburu/RESAQU064FS001BQ.html?apikey=BOOKING64

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In attachment you can find very very rough compilation of interesting or even outstanding cuisine experiences on Camino Frances.
Hope it'll help!

Ultreia y buen provecho :)

Attachments

• CF Cuisine (update 15.02.2014).pdf
    158.8 KB · Views: 38
I found it a bit hard to find good food on a tight budget: I ate a lot of egg and potato omelettes! Which were great...but whenever I felt remotely like complaining, I just thought of....the wine. Nothing can compare to walking for hours through red earth studded with ancient grape trees loaded with purple orbs, then being offered a bottle of ruby red Riojas for the same price as a bottle of water at the end of the day... heavenly. A country can't be good at everything. Food can be chancy, the wine: always sublime.

I found myself often thinking what comparable road fare for a walking pilgrim on a budget would be available here in the US...and I shuddered, imagining only corn dogs, deep fried dried up burrito things in a paper bag, chips, packaged muffins: our national road food is far inferior, I'm afraid.

ALWAYS had a wonderful time buying groceries and cooking with friends at the community kitchen in the albergues...even if it was only spaghetti, it was the best.

Last edited:
go for the "menu del dia," usually for about 9 Euro you get a wide choice of starters, mains, dessert and drink. (Do not confuse it with the Pilgrim Menu, which is often like eating at a tourist trap -- cheap, salty carbs and processed microwave meals no self-respecting Spaniard would touch.)
Reb, I think you're being a bit harsh here. There's plenty of good quality pilgrim menus out there as well, prepared by people who like providing meals for pilgrims. Granted, there may be a higher proportion of them on other caminos, away from the Frances.
I've found you experience the best food at lunchtime but have the best meals in the evening - as meals are about more than just savouring food.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I know this is an old thread, but there is some great advice here.

I like the idea of making lunch the main meal of the day.

Roughly what times do most places serve lunch?

Reb, you mentioned 2:30 pm....... Is that when they generally start?

I love it when someone exhumes an old thread from before the introduction of the 'Like' button. Takes me back to earlier times when the forum was but a place of occasional village gossip, before we/they built this mighty frenetic information metropolis..

I love it when someone exhumes an old thread from before the introduction of the 'Like' button. Takes me back to earlier times when the forum was but a place of occasional village gossip, before we/they built this mighty frenetic information metropolis..

This is so well put! So well put. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I know this is an old thread, but there is some great advice here.

I like the idea of making lunch the main meal of the day.

Roughly what times do most places serve lunch?

Reb, you mentioned 2:30 pm....... Is that when they generally start?

Good question, Robo. I also want to do lunch as my main meal. And when do things close up for the afternoon? I thought 2:30 was when siesta began, but I never did get the Spanish timing right. :(

I always seemed to walk into my destination town in the midst of a lively, bustling restaurant/bar scene, but at that point all I cared about was taking a shower and getting into different shoes. By the time I was back out on the street, famished, there wouldn't be a soul in sight and hardly a tapa for sale. I'd like to plan a little better for next spring.

Hi, my experience is that lunch is usually available from 1pm (never before) and 3pm, although I have several times arrived at a restaurant between 3 and 4pm (on busy weekends) and still been able to order.

I like to walk from about 8 or 9am to 1 or 2pm, have a long leisurely 2-hour lunch, then walk for another hour or two. By the time I have found a place to stay, rested and showered, it is then about 8pm and time to go out for a vino tinto and tapas :D.
Jill

I'm totally in favor of a 2-hour lunch. :) A nice rest for the feet, as well.

I was always trying to catch up with my husband, who would arrive places several hours ahead of me (foot taller, better condition, didn't care where he was going as long as he got there first :p ), so it was probably around 3 pm or later.

This time, I'm on my own and can stop whenever I feel like it! :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back