• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"The Way" movie being released??

alipilgrim

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Listed in my signature
I saw this article in yesterday's paper:

AP: Martin Sheen and son Emilio Estevez are sharing their stories, in the same book. The actors are working on a joint memoir titled "Along The Way." Free Press, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, announced Tuesday the book would come out on Father's Day, 2012. The memoir will explore "the inner and outer stages of the journey of a father and son," including the upcoming movie, "The Way," in which Estevez directs his father.

Perhaps this means the movie has found a distributor??

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Netflix DVD rentals will start renting "The Way" in the near future. A commercial distributor in the United States has not yet been found.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
...I have heard that it might be in some theatres in the US starting easter... but it has not been confirmed anywhere...so not sure..

Saludos,
Ivar

From the website for "The Way":

Buen Camino Fellow Pilgrims and Happy New Year!

January 4th, 2011 | From the Filmmakers | 8 Comments |

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday with family and friends. Thank you for all your notes and comments that we receive on the website.

One of the most frequently asked questions is “How and where can I purchase a DVD of the film?” The answer is that it may be a bit of a wait. Our goal is to see that “The Way” enjoys a long life in your local theaters and multiplexes before it’s available to purchase on DVD and for download onto your home computer. We are still putting together our U.S. domestic release plan and continue putting “pins in the map” to determine where we will stop during our promotional bus tour later this year.

As a big part of our grassroots awareness campaign, [...]

Looking SO forward to this film coming...
Wonder if it will be set up on the cinemas in Norway. Gonna get in on blue ray anyway.
Just have to be patient I guess :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Can I be contrary? Tickets are €14 plus booking fee of €1.That's a lot for a movie. Ah well there's no pleasing everyone. I've even gotten contrary with hospitaleros, only to leave donativo for themselves before departing in the morning.
Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have set up a Google news alert for "The Way," & in one of the alerts I got, they mentioned that they are going to do rounds on various university campuses here in the US. I truly hope they come to one in Laredo---There are *MANY* people here who want to see it & many more who want to travel on the Camino. (hint hint production lurkers) ;)

Kelly

I was at a gathering of pilgrims in Williamsburg, VA last Saturday and George Greena from the College of William and Mary was there. He announced that William and Mary and Georgetown University will have a private screening of The Way...hosted by Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez this coming Friday (Feb 18th).

Sadly, the viewing is sold out. George is going to try and convince them to come down to William and Mary for another screening.

From what I've seen of the trailer...it's a moving story and the photography fantastic.

Then again, making the Camino in person...becomes a moving story and the actual walking a memory forever!

It is also screening with Q&A at the British Film Institute on Southbank, London on Monday 21st Feb. I went to box office today but unfortunately it is also fully booked, but if you are local, standby tickets may be available for those who turn up on the night and wait for any returns.

I'm gutted :( as it wasn't very well advertised and there is no mention of this screening on the movie website. Also I don't live close enough to return on Monday so hope it has a general release in the UK.

Mig

Now I want to point out that I'm not gloating but posting this merely as a point of information:- On the 24th of Feb I'm going to meet up with two good friends and longtime pilgrims at a nice tapas bar called 'Salamanca' We're going to eat, remenisce, have a few glasses of rioja, remenisce some more and then we're going to the Savoy cinema to see Martin Sheen in 'The Way' (which frankly I think is worth every cent of the 14 euro I paid for the ticket) I can assure you I shall take very little pleasure in Martins screen presence but will spend most of my time keeping eye out for the cameo appearances of forum members......... :lol:
Nell

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
nellpilgrim said:
On the 24th of Feb I'm going to meet up with two good friends and longtime pilgrims at a nice tapas bar called 'Salamanca' We're going to eat, remenisce, have a few glasses of rioja, remenisce some more and then we're going to the Savoy cinema to see Martin Sheen in 'The Way' (which frankly I think is worth every cent of the 14 euro I paid for the ticket) I can assure you I shall take very little pleasure in Martins screen presence but will spend most of my time keeping eye out for the cameo appearances of forum members......... :lol:
Nell
Actually I will be in Dublin 24th of February and would like very much so to get a ticket to see The Way. It is sold out at the moment.
annie

We did this Camino thing personally, right? We need a film to tell us what it meant? Is that the final validation? Do we have to do it again in order not to need the opinion of a Sheen? Am I missing something?

falcon269 said:
We did this Camino thing personally, right? We need a film to tell us what it meant? Is that the final validation? Do we have to do it again in order not to need the opinion of a Sheen? Am I missing something?

I'm happy to look at any/all Camino related blogs, videos, books and any films etc I come across-I guess I'm a Camino junkie.
I also think Martin Sheen is a cutie, and have previously admitted on this forum that though I would not jump into a freezing cold stream to retrieve my pack (this happens in one scene in the film) I would definitely jump in to retrieve Martin Sheen....and Falcon I afraid to tell you I wouldn't be the only one :lol: .
Nell

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As Ivar has rightly and concisely said of the Forum,
Where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn.
I get that part, and avidly read the experience of others. I still don't get the fascination with the Hollywood aspect. Physical attraction I get too. Shirley MacLaine's book said a lot about losing it, and what that means to a Hollywood type. One day heads of state pursue you. Soon, the gray roots show and trail bums make a pass because they think they have a chance. But she spoke from experience, and the Sheen movie will not. I will certainly watch it when Net Flix releases it, and I am sorry it was not commercial enough to get a general release. I just think that a warm shower would be more relevant to a Camino. I am sure that is just me. I also don't get the concept of paying a lot of money to someone to play a game, and I think playing games is great, and I think being good at games is great. I just don't think it should be rewarded as full time employment. Oh, well. zeitgeist was never my forte, and I probably would not have made a pass at Shirley MacLaine even in her prime, but I did love many of her films. I am destined for cluelessness.

falcon269 said:

No, but I would like it to be released so that I can take my family & friends to see what it's like to walk the Camino.

Kelly

I too would want to have family and friends see it! The camino is not well known in Australia.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I only hope it screens before may 15 when I depart for my 2nd camino,

Or is it true that the movie will not make mainstream release? I certainly have not seen a release date for Australia , though IMDB has a UK release of April 2011

Oh, I think I agree with Falcon. I have never been a fan of any celebrity really, and although I like the movies, I like documentaries even more. I will also certainly see the film, and I'm sure it's very moving. But I don't think, from what I've read, that it depicts much that's authentic about the camino other than the landscape. (I could be wrong). For friends and family, I like to describe my own caminos, supplemented by the great videos, photos and blogs of the other pilgrims on this forum and elsewhere.

But having said that, have fun with it - it's entertainment after all...

lynne

Nothing to do with celebrity or with celebrity validation of the Camino experience.

I just want to see a film on a subject I'm interested in, with scenery and scenes that will invoke some memories and that may go someway to showing my wife, who has not experienced the camino but is very familiar with Spain and particularly Galicia, why I will be returning again this May.

It might be crap, it might not be but it can't be any worse than the dross that is usually churned out and doesn't inspire me to go to the cinema often.

Guess I'll find out on Monday 'cos I've managed to get hold of a couple of returned tickets for London.

Mig

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've just attended a screening tonight of "The Way" here in Washington D.C. Both Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez were on hand for a Q & A after the film. They said that the film would be released in theaters in the U.S. on Septmber 30th. They are heading tomorrow to film festivals in London, Dublin, and Malta. I can't remember the release date for the film in those countries (they said either this February, or I think maybe April). THe DVD should be released in February 2012.

Thanks Viagero for the update. Not all things commercial need to be shunned or only have monetary intentions. This film I believe will bee seen by experienced pilgrims, their family and friends and by those who want to become a pilgrim and unlike most films, it will have a purpose amd a story that is not based on babes or explosives. How refreshing.
Viewers who are not pilgrims and who do not know anything or much about the Camino will learn a thing or two about another country and might receiveit as just another movie.

I want to see it first because I can relate to the movie content for a change and second because I love the countryside and the people of the Camino and it will bring back lovely memories of my journey there.

Yes Beverley, I agree. I enjoyed the film as a film but it brought back so many wonderful memories. I would recognize a place and then remember who I was with, what I was feeling, etc. I kept jabbing my friend during the film saying, "that's where I met so-and-so" or "that's the day that so-and-so hurt her knee" or "it snowed when we were there". Emilio Estevez, the director, said that this film was his "love letter to Spain" and I share that love and I think it came through in the film. I guess naysayers can choose not to see the film but I thought it was rather sweet and enjoyable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am glad that my next camino this European summer will be before the movie is released and potentially creates a wave of movie tourists!

It might be crap, it might not be but it can't be any worse than the dross that is usually churned out and doesn't inspire me to go to the cinema often
Well pleased to say it wasn't crap at all, in fact it stood up as a well-crafted, beautiful film and story which really showed Northern Spain off. The movie was well shot and the great soundtrack complimented it well to deliver a good, wholesome movie. Not all great (Jimmy Nesbitt overacting a bit at his introduction and the slightly corny, ultimate end to the camino spring to mind) but the scenes arriving at and subsequently within the cathederal more than made up for that and took me right back there.

Kind of a sedate road trip without a corvette!

The feedback during the Q&A showed that the film had been very well received by the audience and in my humble opinion, the Estevez's have done a great job in bringing the beauty and spirit of the camino to a wider audience. The straw pole of the audience by Sheen after the film showed that it had inspired a great number to consider a camino although turning that thought into action may be a bit more difficult.

Stated on BBC One's "The One Show" tonight that the movie will go on UK General Release from 15th April. I look forward to taking family and friends and let them see for themselves what I'm sure I have failed to portray in my post-camino mutterings.

Mig

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi for anyone interested "The Way" movie is been released on the 15 April around the U.K. Martin Sheen and Emilo Estevez were on BBC this evening.

Regards

There is a showing of the film "the Way" at the Savoy Cinema this Thursday the 24 February 2011 as part of the Dublin Film Festival.

Just checked the website and it is sold out unfortunately

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If anyone wants a decent Camino-related movie fix while waiting for The Way, look for a flick titled Americano, starring Joshua Jackson, Leonor Varela, and Dennis Hopper. It's set mainly in Pamplona or thereabouts, and it has an intriguing Camino angle... :arrow:

Re:"The Way" movie being released??

Ah falcon i think you ARE "missing something". I don't think the movie was made for you personally (shocking as that may seem to you :-D) nor indeed for anyone in particular whether those who have walked the camino or not. And i am not sure Mr Sheen made the movie as any kind of "validation" of the camino though i am almost certain you don't need to do a camino again in order not to need his opinion (although only you can answer that :-D)

As for Mr Sheen not having the experience of actually 'doing a camino' a gentle reminder that that this is a Hollywood movie, a story and not a documentary. Mr Sheen is am actor playing a role in a story :-D

Ben Kingsley acted in the story of Ghandi - he didn't live the life of Ghandi nor was the movie a documentary yet it was a valid Hollywood movie none the less wasn't it? If the movie 'The Way' inspires a fraction of the numbers who were inspired by the movie Ghandi to walk the Camino de Santiago then that is great. After all anyone who has walked or is going to walk the camino has been inspired by something or someone to do so.

Lynne - as for your comment on an "authentic camino" what is your definition of an authentic camino? Surely the only authentic camino is personal to the one undertaking it?

The medieval pilgrim's camino, walking from his doorstep with poor footwear and virtually no funds from england, italy or wherever with only a scallop shell, his memories of wolves, bandits and the hospitality of his fellow humans to feed him and encourage him and hopefully his prayers or intentions satisfied, is no less 'authentic' than your own camino with money, modern hiking gear and a plane home and memories of fine food, wonderful scenery etc all "supplemented with great videos, photo's and blogs" is it?

Dogmatism comes in many forms as does fundamentalism.

This is a Hollywood movie.It is about the Camino de Santiago.The majority of views - by those who have actually seen the movie AND walked the camino - have been positive.

Let those who have walked the camino and profess it to have 'changed their lives for the better' and are good enough to share their own authentic camino with the world keep the positive things they took from their pilgrimage in their hearts.

Or is walking the Camino de Santiago simply an excuse to criticise anyone who doesn't conform to their own idea of an authentic camino?

Apologies for any spelling mistakes and poor formatting. I posted this through Tapatalk from my mobile phone :-D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lynne - as for your comment on an "authentic camino" what is your definition of an authentic camino? Surely the only authentic camino is personal to the one undertaking it?

Easy. By authentic, I merely meant that the experience is as close to experienced reality as possible, as opposed to imagined or elaborated experiences. So, authentic=real. Nothing more, nothing less. No need to make it more complex than it is.

lynne

It becomes "authentic" when it is made into a reality show starring Snookie ...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
falcon269 said:
It becomes "authentic" when it is made into a reality show starring Snookie ...

I hope not!!!! Can you imagine? :)

Now there is an idea for those 'reality tv' execs.
Something along the lines of "I'm A Pilgrim - Get Me Out Of Here"?

Imagine a tv crew following a group of 'celebrity' pilgrims on the Frances as they face such perils as blisters, bed-bugs, over weight back-packs, sleepless nights due to snorers etc. Maybe they only have a daily allowance of 20 euros? Possibly a few days working in a refuge?

Of course those celebrities who complete the journey get their 'compostela certificate' and the money raised from the public 'phone in' votes could go to a suitable camino charity?

Any views on the 'celebrities' you would like to see take part?

I would even get a tv again just to watch it :-D

I saw the film yesterday and like Miguel enjoyed the process of recognising locations and all the associations that brought to mind. It's very beautiful to look at, though I found it bit distracting when locations were shown out of geographical sequence e.g. Orisson featuring well after the crossing of the Pyrenees but I was told by my companions that I'm a 'Camino nerd' and that it didn't matter a toss to them
Martin and his son were charming and spent a good deal of time answering questions and talking about the genesis of the film within their family-an intimate process involving three generations- that obviously shows in respect for the Camino that comes across in the film. As Martin Sheen appears in almost every scene I can forgive a few cheesy moments and some geographic anomalies :lol:
Enjoy
Nell

Great discussion all!

Over the years the Forum has had some trying moments where a point is poorly or aptly made and another member(s) takes umbrage and we’re off on a tangent that raises the blood pressure rather than the conversation.
This specific topic had a few dicey moments…but then rational, thoughtful insight entered the fray and we all came away the better for the encounter.
Buen “walking my Way and having my say” Camino

Arn

"Trying moments"?
"Members taking umbrage"?
"Dicey moments"?

Whatever do you mean Arn? *wink*

Like the Camino and life itself these forums are filled with wonderful people with wonderfully similar and differing opinions and i for one wouldn't have it any other way :-D

After the dreadful camino book by Mr (smoke and mirrors) Coehlo, and McLaine´s confused writings, this film, good or not,will push the CF over the edge in numbers doing it. As some have suggested above, the useless cult of celebrity is a tragic way to become aware of something important like the camino. Thousands come expecting an important experience - and they get it, but second hand. For many, the camino becomes a cocacola experience - all froth, bubble and marketing.

€149,-
PilgrimChris said:
Now there is an idea for those 'reality tv' execs.

I'd like to see a Camino trek combined with a Bachelor or Bachelorette premise, where one person starts off in SJPP with, say, twenty members of the opposite gender, and then he/she picks a spouse out of whomever makes it to Santiago with him/her...I'd be happy to star in that one (hehe)! :mrgreen:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Let us not dismiss the "cult of celebrity" so readily as something 'tragic'.
The hundreds of millions of dollars/pounds such celebrity founded ideas as Live Aid, Band Aid, Comic Relief etc has generated for charities aiding the most disadvantaged in the world is not to be dismissed lightly.

Only the most dogmatic and fundament 'pilgrim' would find a problem with the idea of exploring a similar way of incorporating something like the Camino de Santiago to help the worlds most in need.

The Camino de Santiago was initially used by religious pilgrims seeking St James' intervention in their prayers and needs to God. It is in that spirit that i talk of celebrity possibilites and i cannot imagine a God who would look unkindly on such a venture to help those in most need. I can however think of many humans who, for reasons of their own, might find it distasteful. It is those people who have yet to discover what the camino means ultimately - no matter how many times they may have walked the route they still have not found The Way.

If anyone is unhappy with how someone else walks the camino or worried about whether or not someone finds true 'spiritualty' (usually defined by their own journey) then may i humbly remind them that the camino is for EVERYONE and what an individual experiences from it is their OWN camino. As such there is no such thing as common 'right' way to "do a camino' for everyone - the only right way is the way you take the journey yourself.

The Camino has survived over a thousand years of human participation and amazingly it grows in spite of this :-D Just maybe it will survive long after we here are all long gone. Just maybe it is bigger than what any individual thinks it is or what it should be?

Re: Re:

PilgrimChris said:
Let us not dismiss the "cult of celebrity" so readily as something 'tragic'.

Yes I think it is indeed tragic, a marketing illusion foisted on the undiscerning. Christ would have thrown the celebrities and their allied marketeers out of the temple.

€149,-
Let's not get into a religious debate here...

If one do not like this movie (or the concept of making one on this topic), don't go see it.

I saw it and I liked it.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

ivar said:
Let's not get into a religious debate here...

If one do not like this movie (or the concept of making one on this topic), don't go see it.

I saw it and I liked it.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

I will see it if I can and probably I will like it. But whether I like it or not means nothing. The cult of celebrity certainly springs from this kind of creative production. Some people, especially the young, are fooled by celebrity. Many Koreans, but not only them, come to the camino because of Coelho. Is this good or bad? Is it better to have your own camino, or the illusion created by Coelho? And from there comes the loss of personal, original experience of the camino, which as an experience, at least the first time, actually cannot be explained.... No, I mean, I cannot explain it.

But apart from that, we may all have different views about a films impact.

I like the differing views including the ones I dont agree with. I dont like monoculture. It´s not healthy.

There's a good - and very entertaining - review of the film by Christopher Howse in the Daily Telegraph (with the very good news that Howse has a book 'A Pilgrim in Spain' published in the summer.

I've put the links on my blog here:

http://pilgrimpace.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... ay-review/

Andy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Caminando said:
Christ would have thrown the celebrities and their allied marketeers out of the temple.

I never dare to presume what Christ would do! After all - "the celebrities and their allied marketeers" are not in the "temple" peddling their wares in this instance are they?

And i for one have donated to a cause i would not have been aware of had it not been publicised in the media because of the power of a celebrity. As Ivar rightly said this should not become a religious debate - if a celebretity uses his or her power in the media to help highlight a cause for the poor of the world then would Christ or anyone have a problem with that.

And that was the point of my post after- celebrity using their public media influence to highlight a charitable cause :)

Lets keep on track here :)

Peace, Love and CHARITY to you all :)
Chris

The film has an English general release date on friday the 14th April according to my morning paper.
I look forward to seeing it with an open mind
Ian

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
PilgrimChris said:
Caminando said:
Christ would have thrown the celebrities and their allied marketeers out of the temple.

I never dare to presume what Christ would do! After all - "the celebrities and their allied marketeers" are not in the "temple" peddling their wares in this instance are they?

And i for one have donated to a cause i would not have been aware of had it not been publicised in the media because of the power of a celebrity. As Ivar rightly said this should not become a religious debate - if a celebretity uses his or her power in the media to help highlight a cause for the poor of the world then would Christ or anyone have a problem with that.

And that was the point of my post after- celebrity using their public media influence to highlight a charitable cause :)

Lets keep on track here :)

Peace, Love and CHARITY to you all :)
Chris

Sorry! cant agree with much of what you say here....

I am waiting, Mick Jagger sings, so am I :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It may be rumor or pure speculation, but I understand that there are plans to screen "The Way" at the American Pilgrim's Conference in Santa Barbara later this month.

I received an email from a Christian organisation saying that there will be some sort of release of the film in the UK on April 15th.

How well it will be distributed I am not sure as the email is now deleted.

Are people aware of El Final Camino? which uses the Camino Francés as a backdrop, though be warned the film is not about the Camino as such and some may find it offensive. I found it very funny but others will not be amused by it.

or

Within the Way Without, a film made by British director Laurence Boulting which was screened in London with the support of CSJ, London.

WTWW is availbale on DVD as, I believe, is the EFC.

I can't believe I have to wait until at least Sept 30 to see this movie. :( The only reason I can think they are waiting so long to release it in the US is that they want it to be considered for the Academy Awards.

Kelly

They don't have funding. The month of Sept., Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez will go around the U.S. to promote it.

Thank you falcon for the Malta Times link.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was lucky enough to watch 'The Way' the other night on DVD. I really enjoyed it .Recognised much of it although many of the refugios were either made up or I have missed them on my Caminos. Also some of the way was in the wrong order but that didn't matter.
I found myself brought to tears by some of the storyline.
I wasn't disappointed.
Heather

Heather,
I'm in Perth too. Where did you see or get the DVD?
I'd love to see it before I leave for the Camino in May.
Frances

Yes, where did you get the DVD. Wishing it would come to Toronto::::::wishing it would come to Toronto:::: :cry: The film festival is too crazy here so I didn't go when the moving was releaased for the TFO :cry: :cry:

Hi Frances and Bev
Someone obtained the movie (I didn't ask!) and made it into a DVD for me. I was so excited that I didn't care where it came from.
Frances if you pm me I could lend it to you. Sorry Bev too far to Toronto.
Heather

It is quite clear that “the Way” has not yet been released on DVD and that any copies are pirated. Piracy is theft. Trading in this is not much different than stealing a wallet from a person at an alburgue while they are in the shower. If you hand off that stolen wallet to me and I know it not to have been obtained by legitimate means, I too have stolen. Theft is theft.

This film was produced more as an act of love for the subject matter than any desire to profit. The fact is, despite all the critical acclaim, most films of this nature and this budget lose money for the producers. That is evidenced by the difficulty in finding a US distributor. Emilio Estivez, Martin Sheen and others associated with the film certainly knew the risk going into the project. Nevertheless they pushed forward to tell a story that captured their passion. But none of that even matters in this context.

I have spent my entire career working in the film industry and as is everyone in the business, I am distraught at the problem of piracy. In addition to being a serious international crime, it steals livelihoods of many hard working people around the world.

I assume that intentions may be good in wanting to share what we are all anxious to see, but this is not the way to do it. While this may sound harsh, I make no apology but do realize that many may not understand that intellectual property, i.e. a film, has the same ownership rights as that wallet in the alburgue.

To see this stolen … how very sad.

It *could* have been a DVD that was sent to a critic, or the various film fests the movie has been entered in, or anyone else who normally receives advanced copies of unreleased movies. Granted, the chances of that are slim to none, but it does happen.

Kelly

I too would like to think that this was all legitimate but it is not. Such DVDs sent to critics, etc. are clearly labeled as "Screeners" and include banners across the screen to indicate such. This was pirated.

It is a serious problem, so much so that it is the #1 issue in all trade negotiations between the US and China, two formidable trading partners.

Ugly as it sounds ... theft is theft. There is no justification.

markss said:
Snip... Trading in this is not much different than stealing a wallet from a person at an alburgue while they are in the shower....snip

I have spent my entire career working in the film industry and as is everyone in the business, I am distraught at the problem of piracy........ While this may sound harsh, I make no apology ...snip

This is indeed "harsh" I understand that it is personal with you but to accuse Heather of the same act as stealing a wallet in the alburgue is way over the top.
Her viewing a DVD on the Camino (that she does not know the origin) simply does not rise to the act you describe. I think you do owe her an apology.
All of this is simply off topic and I do apologize to all for that.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No apology. This is a serious issue. Again theft is theft. How many ways can it be said. I do not care who it is, how many friends or what their reputation on this forum. For someone to have a blind eye toward where they got this DVD, even acknowledging it probably not to be legit and continuing to pass it along to others is wrong.

Does that make them a bad person? Not at all. Just want to provide insight from another perspective, I believe that this was all done in a positive spirit of sharing.

And the notion of stealing from an unknown entity is somehow different from the theft of a neighbor .. why is this different???

The problem I have with DVD's (and I am a big movie fan BTW) is that if you copy or use it for public viewing and get caught is that you get more time and pay higher fines than you would if you raped someone, murdered someone or abused some child! This is about $$$ into an already wealthy and influential business.

I think Heather should walk the Camino in order that her sins can be forgiven along with the rest off us who can't cast the first stone.
Ian

It's funny how we tend to view things that are considered "intellectual property" ie movies etc. as things that can be taken for free. We photo copy sheet music...magazine articles etc...without giving it a second thought. But in reality it is stealing. It's simply a different form. I have a scary suspicion that with the up coming generations problem with plagerism...this is only going to get worse. I don't know what the answer is except to remind folks that it is a form of theft, albeit unintentional on the part of some of those involved. It is killing me to have to wait until Sept. to see this thing...really...if a copy came by here, it would be very hard not to watch it. But I would hope and pray that respect for the authorship and artistry involved...I'd refrain.

I do like Ian's form of restitution!! Heather...off to the Camino...immediately... :) I'll be right behind you in sack cloth and ashes!!

With respect and affection for all of my fellow pilgrims here....Karin

I would like to turn this issue on it's head.

I too am anxious to see the film, but do I want my experience to be clouded by watching a poor quality image, on a TV, knowing that it has been pirated?

No.

I want to see it on the big screen where the effect is so much better and, I hope, powerful and where those who own the intellectual property rights are properly rewarded.

It is that which is keeping me waiting with (im)patience.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Only Heather's source knows if they received the copy legitimately or not, so telling her that she was "stealing" is a bit out of bounds. What if her source is a critic, or judge at a film fest, or somehow connected to "the biz" that they are able to get their own copies of movies through proper channels?

Because the question that comes to the front of my mind (since I'm an attorney, go figure), is *why* the movie pirates would want to go to all the trouble of pirating *this* movie?

I think everyone on this thread now needs to do penance & walk the Camino. Together. :mrgreen:

Kelly

Haha Sagalouts!
That is a GREAT suggestion!

Seriously folks, "theft is theft" is a bit harsh.
I'm sure she had no idea it was stolen, and now the damage is done.
Can she rewind her viewing?
Now she knows... next time I'm sure she'll ask.

Perhaps we should put her in prison, or force her to watch "Les Miserables" 25 times! :roll:

Penance on the Camino!
I vote for that! :lol:

The problem of film piracy is one the film industry can to some degree blame themselves for. It hasn't been released because they can't find a distributor willing to pay this price they want.

If they were serious they wouldn't let this film go unreleased so long. Interesting that this is on the first page when I google it.

http://downmovie.org/n6n/the+way+martin ... ubtitrare/

Good on Heather. She got to watch it while the industry dithers about how they can extract the most money from us. Piracy is the free market setting a price---the public will pay for legitimate stuff up to a point, but when you see them telling us this country can have it now, this country has to wait until we can get the price we want, well, piracy happens.

I never watch pirated movies, but for this one, I think I'll make a special effort to see it on a pirated copy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
newfydog said:
If they were serious they wouldn't let this film go unreleased so long. Interesting that this is on the first page when I google it.

http://downmovie.org/n6n/the+way+martin ... ubtitrare/

And for you PC users that's the surest way to catch yourself a nasty virus..... :) I don't watch movies in general because most of the stuff coming out of Hollywood is garbage. I finally see a movie that looks promising and they can't find distributors for it. I think they are going about it all wrong. They've been in the business too long. Perhaps they should take a cue from Donald Miller and create a Kickstarter campaign to raise money to distribute the film. In Donald Miller's case, he raised enough money to make the movie version of his book, "Blue Like Jazz". If the people want it, it will get done. I think they just need to think outside the box in how to get it to the masses. So much of media today is done through social networking and that's how you get the word out.

I personally don't illegally download movies and I stopped illegally downloading music a long time ago. I prefer to support my favorite artists by going to shows and purchasing their music directly from them.

And, as usual, someone has jumped to conclusions about how the movie was acquired. Maybe we should wait to pass judgment until we know more.... :)

Given that the movie was released in Spain last year could it be that it is now available in Spain as a DVD ?

If heather really liked the movie I am sure she would buy a legit copy.

The movie industry tried to make it illegal to modify a DVD player to make it zone free, for copy-write the Australian high court did not support this view as they stated setting zones on movies was marketing protection that the law would not support.

I am still getting over the shock of being called a thief.I certainly wouldn't have posted my joyful feelings on the forum if I had realised what a big deal this was. I apologise to anyone who feels personally hurt by my taking up the offer to watch this movie. The person who gave me it knew I was a Camino addict and was desperate to find out when it would be released in Australia and it seems I should have politely refused the offer to see it now. Like you all would have done????
Anyway what is done is done. I must have been naive or just stupid but it just didn't enter my head that I would be stealing. Apologies again.
I sure won't do it again.
Heather

€46,-
camino07 said:
I am still getting over the shock of being called a thief.I certainly wouldn't have posted my joyful feelings on the forum if I had realised what a big deal this was. Heather

That's one of the problems with unmoderated forums.
Everybody can say what he wants, thus writing things that might be insulting.

I don't see it as theft. If It was available in Canada, I am sure that Heather would have bought it. Now she took the opportunity to get hold of it, where it was impossible to do it "legally"
I've done the same with some music, and when it was available in Holland I bought the CD.

So You're no thief, in my eyes, Heather. You took an opportunity That I would have taken as well.
Please stay with us on the forum.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

Ditto

That's one of the problems with unmoderated forums. Everybody can say what he wants, thus writing things that might be insulting.
One of the biggest communication problems on the internet is the inability to make eye contact, interpret body language, and pick up on all the subtle cues of face-to-face contact. Most of the words written in this thread recently are accurate. Some are forceful. Much of the follow-on discussion is interpreting those words and the intent behind selecting them. If any of this can be a learning moment lesson, it might be to select words carefully, and interpret them charitably. "DVD piracy is theft" is a factually accurate statement. "You are a thief" goes to facts that are not in evidence -- circumstance, fair use doctrine, intent, etc. The Forum is a mix of fact and opinion, so it is useful when members are clear which they are stating. Most of the time it is obvious, but when there is wide latitude for interpretation/misinterpretation, I would suggest choosing words carefully for accuracy. That is just my opinion (IMHO in internet-speak).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This forum is not un-moderated, on the other hand posts are not moderated prior to being released. Sometimes this means that there are discussions that get a little out of hand but usually the people posting are able to work things out. The light touch moderation applied here to some extent relies on people alerting the moderators to posts they find objectionable and maybe the post will be deleted or the poster contacted.

Falcon is right in saying that internet communication enables people to post things that they would never say face to face and we all need to take a few deep breaths and count to ten now and again before we react too hastily when replying to some threads.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have not visited this forum for a few months and so I was pleasantly surprised to find so much of interest.

In particular, I wish to thank the person for the link to the radio interview with Estevez. Very interesting and also with a fun element!

I don't know when I shall get to watch the movie but, in the meantime, I hope to walk for a week or so with 2 people I met on the Camino last year. They are starting from Vezelay next month and, as I live in France, I can't wait to walk a little way with them.

I learned lots of lessons on the Camino but, I regret to say that I often lose sight of them and forget to apply them to "real life" :cry:

I suppose the good thing is that I always do go back to the lessons and, even when I have failed miserably, they still remind me of what I should be remembering and doing.

Several years back I had a discussion with Ivar about "censorship" in the Forum. My position went something like this:

The Forum is a vehicle for the sharing of information/best practices about making a Camino in the most safe, self actualizing and enjoyable manner. The members of the Forum are from around the world and, as such, reflect the cultures of their home country. Although the Forum hasn’t taken a survey of its membership, I believe, for the most part we are well educated, well traveled and adventurous. Many of us are religious, though I’d say there is a significant number whom lean to the spiritual. We use the Forum as the glue that holds our experience together, opens our eyes to other perspectives and, because we are each unique, there is from time to time a clash of ideas or beliefs.

Therefore my position, at the time, was that our mission as moderators should be to view the Forum as “self-policing” thus allowing the members the greatest latitude toward maintaining a positive approach on any topic at hand. I can only think of a handful of posts that required more than a cautionary comment from a moderator.

Without a doubt, this current thread in a testimony that my position remains valid. Many veteran and some relatively new members have weighed in and “self-directed” a shift toward clarification and thoughtful insight on the topic at hand.

That there isn’t an obviously “heavy handed” moderator presence is a testimony that my earlier discussion with Ivar remains valid.

Saludos,

Arn

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back