• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"The Way": shooting locations map

Caminofácil

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2014)
Hi all:

I've been meaning to post this for a few weeks, but as usual, real life gets in the way...

Anyway: there have been in this forum a few threads listing the places where "The Way" was shot, and I thought that it would be a good idea to compile the information in them in a single place, specially since the other page that listed all the shooting locations for the movie (the silver-screen-spain.com one) shut down. So I made this thing:

http://caminofacil.net/en/the-way/

You can navigate through each of the landmarks, or simply drag the map and pick the point you want. Hope you guys enjoy it. If there's any incorrect or incomplete information, please feel free to contact me.

(The page is better viewed on a desktop or tablet, since they have bigger screens than a phone).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola - more congrats for a great job. When I walked the Camino back in May/June this year I did my own "The Way" sightseeing. Thanks for the info on the location in St Jean; I did find the location in Roncesvalles - La Posada where Tom & Joost have their midnight snack; I had my lunch in Pamplona siting about 5 metres from where the film table was located (no, they do not offer the Lamb dish, but their salad was one of the best I had all camino); you left out the sight of the meeting of Joost/Sarah & Tom in Zariquiegui; Torres del Rio has had a few changes - particularly the road in from the East (another small change where our 4 Amigos depart in the setting sun); the cafe/bar in Burgos where Tom's backpack was stolen has now had a significant renovation - outside still the same but inside totally changed. But again thanks for filling in a lot of the blanks. Cheers

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I know I'm being a bit pedantic but it always bugs me that he's been walking for about a week - and then suddenly he can be found at the albergue in Orisson !! Just my little thing ;-)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm surprised how much of it was actually shot on location! Someone told me they shot the majority in Australia or something haha

Love it! Imagine my surprise to see the first photo of him in St. Jean Pied du Port at the Hotel Continental. That was where I spent the night before starting my Camino. thanks for all of your time and effort in putting this together.

I know I'm being a pedantic but it always bugs me that he's been walking for about a week - and then suddenly he can be found at the albergue in Orisson !! Just my little thing ;-)
Yep this one is spotted by just about every experience pilgrim. I saw a response on another site from Emilio where they spotted it - but after the final edit and all the "proofs" had gone to distribution. A bit like the guy in jeans in the Gladiator movie!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm surprised how much of it was actually shot on location! Someone told me they shot the majority in Australia or something haha
NO No No! 100% shot on location in France and Spain - apart from those opening scenes in Ventura (the beach and freeway shots). Even the golf course is in Spain - about 80 km from Madrid. (If you buy a copy of the DVD there is a special feature where all this is explained). Its my understanding that the "pilgrim 4" walked something like 300-350 km, but I can not verify if that actually included the last 100 km from Sarria to make truly eligible for Compostelas.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wearing the North Face jacket in the hot sun at harvest time was perhaps a continuity fault. Maybe necessary if North Face sponsored the film.

That said, it's worth seeing the film and it has certainly inspired many to walk the CF.

Anyone any idea if the new show where some British celebs walk part of the Frances has been filmed? Seems the same people go from the Jungle to the House then some dancing or cookery and now a bit of a Camino. Apologies for all who don't follow the Brit Celeb pack on our tv screens most days!!

Not quite true. The final scene walking through some exotic market was actually filmed in Marrakech. Not in Spain unless the borders have changed recently and I hadn't heard about it :)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441912/locations
I guess Spanish markets aren't exotic enough, being mostly in air-conditioned modern buildings. But I guess movies aren't supposed to be realistic. :) I haven't seen "The Way," but I want to. I did hear someone complain of the false impression that there are no steep climbs or descents.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Not sure where you are, but I believe that the film The Way is currently free to view on BBC iplayer.
It is what it is and apparently the characters are based on the Wizard of Oz group. It is very watchable (I thought!)

Thanks a lot to everyone for your warm words. I'm really glad to see that people liked it.

Hola - more congrats for a great job. When I walked the Camino back in May/June this year I did my own "The Way" sightseeing. Thanks for the info on the location in St Jean; I did find the location in Roncesvalles - La Posada where Tom & Joost have their midnight snack; I had my lunch in Pamplona siting about 5 metres from where the film table was located (no, they do not offer the Lamb dish, but their salad was one of the best I had all camino); you left out the sight of the meeting of Joost/Sarah & Tom in Zariquiegui; Torres del Rio has had a few changes - particularly the road in from the East (another small change where our 4 Amigos depart in the setting sun); the cafe/bar in Burgos where Tom's backpack was stolen has now had a significant renovation - outside still the same but inside totally changed. But again thanks for filling in a lot of the blanks. Cheers

I didn't know about the church in Zariquiegui. Thanks! As I said, if there's any spot I missed, feel free to tell me and I'll update the map as time permits.

specially since the other page that listed all the shooting locations for the movie (the silver-screen-spain.com one) shut down.

Hi, I made a 6-page Word Document (text and photos) from that original website. If anyone wants it, am happy to email it. (PM me.)
Jill

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I guess Spanish markets aren't exotic enough, being mostly in air-conditioned modern buildings. But I guess movies aren't supposed to be realistic. :) I haven't seen "The Way," .
No, that's not the reason. The scene was shot in Marrakesh to show that the protagonist has moved on, beyond Spain, that he continues to travel and enjoy it which we presume he did not do before.

I'm firmly in the "Saint Jacques ... La Mecque" fans' camp, so if I watch "The Way" again it's just because I can say "oh look I've been there" or "that's the door of the room I slept in" so I, too, say thanks to @Caminofácil for putting this together and posting it.

Last edited:
I think some of the 300-400km walking was backwards and forwards as they re-took shots. The morning I met them on location (in Torres del Rio) they certainly went up and down the hill into town a lot.
Lucky you, bumping into the cast on your walk! Forum member, Anniesantiago, met them, too, and in her blog had a photo of herself with Martin Sheen and mentioned what a warm and kind person he was.

No, that's not the reason. The scene was shot in Marrakesh to show that the protagonist has moved on, beyond Spain, that he continues to travel and enjoy it which we presume he did not do before.

I'm firmly in the "Saint Jacques ... La Mecque" fans' camp, so if I watch "The Way" again it's just because I can say "oh look I've been there" or "that's the door of the room I slept in" so I, too, say thanks to @Caminofácil for putting this together and posting it.
I was going to say the same thing about the Marrakesh scene, but you said it so well.

I've watched "The Way" about 4-5 times in the past 3 years, but for me (besides "yes, I've been there"), it is mostly about the beautiful story that is told and unfolds along the way...Always brings a few tears to my eyes by the time they reach the cathedral.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you, this brings back good memories of both the film and the Camino. Your information is very good, I read the book "Along the Way " which is co-authored by Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez and it provided many details on the filming.

Hi all:

I've been meaning to post this for a few weeks, but as usual, real life gets in the way...

Anyway: there have been in this forum a few threads listing the places where "The Way" was shot, and I thought that it would be a good idea to compile the information in them in a single place, specially since the other page that listed all the shooting locations for the movie (the silver-screen-spain.com one) shut down. So I made this thing:

You can navigate through each of the landmarks, or simply drag the map and pick the point you want. Hope you guys enjoy it. If there's any incorrect or incomplete information, please feel free to contact me.

(The page is better viewed on a desktop or tablet, since they have bigger screens than a phone).

Thank you for your work here.. one of my favorite movies( watched 7-8 times since discovering the Camino 3 yrs ago in the novel Pillars Of The Earth...)
Departing SJPP Sept 15..
I too, loved "The Pillars of the Earth", both book and mini series. It opened my eyes to the laborious efforts of building cathedrals so many centuries ago, using the most basic and unrefined tools that were available. When I visit the cathedrals on the Camino route I am reminded from that novel what incredible accomplishments they are. Truly amazing!

Hi all:

Thanks so much for putting this guide together. I really enjoyed the movie and being able to link scenes with locations on the Camino really added something for me. Much appreciated.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the info. Two more to add:

As previously mentioned, outside the church in Zaraquiegue is where Jost offers Sarah drugs and she says, "I love this guy.".

The second is where the gypsy has his son return the backpack to Tom. This was filmed on the west side of Burgos by the University, on the path that goes through Parque de Parral at the far western end of the park.

Attachments

• IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    913.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0488.JPG
    IMG_0488.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Martin Sheen's commentary on the dvd he says they shot all the Camino scenes on the Camino from east to west. Also that all the background people, with none speaking parts, are actual peregrinos.
I'm sure Mr. Sheen just got a little confused on all the retakes of scenes they probably had to do. Or else in film editing they accidently got a couple of scenes mixed up, such as Orrison.

Hi all:

Well done! Really enjoyed this!

Hi all:

Very very good but you left out Orisson and the walk out of Burgos

€83,-
Hi all:

(The page is better viewed on a desktop or tablet, since they have bigger screens than a phone).[/QUOTE

Great! This finally settles the endless question about which bridge his backpack fell from.

As I walked last year, I wondered about some of those scenes...thanks for doing this...very cool...

Great stuff guys! I love the presentation.
I am doing similar webpages but with proprietary software (StoryMaps with ESRI software), but yours is quite nice and it is (free) open source :)
I will definitely check out the code in GitHub.
Many thanks for sharing!
Cheers,
Carlos

There are a few scenes in the movie that I did recognize such as the misplacement of a scene where Tom is taking a break at Orrison but is well past Pamplona, if I am not mistaken. And of course there are scenes walking parts of the path in the Pyrenees that are unmistakable.

Overall, I found the listing to be very helpful.

I know I'm being a bit pedantic but it always bugs me that he's been walking for about a week - and then suddenly he can be found at the albergue in Orisson !! Just my little thing ;-)

Yeah, most of us caught this little "liberty" with geography and timing :)

Nevertheless, this is still one of my favorite movies. I had heard about the Camino about 10 years ago, but watching the movie helped me shape my Camino project and the resolve to do it, which I executed Sept./Oct. 2016. So of course I had to watch the movie again afterward...

My biggest pet peeve with the movie still is that our friend Tom simply decides on a whim in SJPDP to put on Daniel's clothes, backpack (how heavy must this thing have been!), and more importantly Daniel's boots (!!!) and without a minute of training, just hops on the Camino and starts walking. When I think of the 700+ km of training that I went through in the 6 months preceding my Camino, and I still got !@#$%$#@! Bblisters, Tom makes me feel like a whimp!

But I will still watch the movie... again!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My biggest pet peeve with the movie still is that our friend Tom simply decides on a whim in SJPDP to put on Daniel's clothes, backpack (how heavy must this thing have been!), and more importantly Daniel's boots (!!!) and without a minute of training, just hops on the Camino and starts walking.
Well, … In 2010, I got rid of my car and walked or biked to work five times a week—a mere three blocks. Occasionally further for some errand. That is the closest thing to "training" I ever did. Yet since I retired in 2014, I have walked up to 66 kilometers in a day (usually less) and biked up to that much (also usually less). The only problems I've had are more attributable to forgetting to take water, rather than to the exertion. So I find all this talk about training hard to understand. (And if makes a difference, I'm 63 years old.)

So I find all this talk about training hard to understand. (And if makes a difference, I'm 63 years old.)

I agree. If someone is in reasonable general health then spending weeks or months in systematic training is not necessary to walk the Caminos. It is a series of straightforward day walks - not the equivalent of climbing Everest or running a marathon.

I agree. If someone is in reasonable general health then spending weeks or months in systematic training is not necessary to walk the Caminos. It is a series of straightforward day walks - not the equivalent of climbing Everest or running a marathon.
Right. I could have added that the 66 KM I walked one day in Perú and the 53 KM I biked one day on Via de la Plata were more mountainous than most of the Camino Frances. But I'll admit that those are not typical days for me. Twenty to thirty kilometers is more normal. (Lots of stops for coffee, snacks, or photos.)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the info. Two more to add:

As previously mentioned, outside the church in Zaraquiegue is where Jost offers Sarah drugs and she says, "I love this guy.".

The second is where the gypsy has his son return the backpack to Tom. This was filmed on the west side of Burgos by the University, on the path that goes through Parque de Parral at the far western end of the park.

Thanks. I'll definitely add the Burgos location in our next update to the map. Though I'm sure I'm not the first one to say this: the less is said about all the "gypsy" scenes, the better... :rolleyes:

Thanks for this posting! We enjoyed trying to find scenes when we did our last Camino. A couple of places we looked for were the O'Cebreiro type building where the group was resting on a stone wall (didn't seem to match anything we saw in O'Cebreiro) and the church where they ring a bell and Jack from Ireland refuses to go inside. Any thoughts?

It wasn't until we returned home from our Camino and looked at our pictures and realized, "hey, that's where the backpack was returned!" Thanks to Seawarrior for mentioning that one.

Attachments

• lenIP+IMG_1061.JPG
    lenIP+IMG_1061.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 21
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for this posting! We enjoyed trying to find scenes when we did our last Camino. A couple of places we looked for were the O'Cebreiro type building where the group was resting on a stone wall (didn't seem to match anything we saw in O'Cebreiro) and the church where they ring a bell and Jack from Ireland refuses to go inside. Any thoughts?
The palloza is near the entry to Foncebadón. It can be seen on Streetview. It is out of order, as it comes before Cruz de Ferro in fact, whereas it comes after Cruz de Ferro in the film. I'd like to identify the church too, but there are so many!

Dear all. You know when you read a book the film is never the same. So it is with the Way, but what a wonderful story.
So let’s not dis it. Yes put people right about what maybe was wrong re places and scenes.
There are many who walk for their families and to find themselves and to be with the disciples and with God. For those who don’t you may have something different as a story to tell.
Keep it as it was. The story is about love.
For those asking about the sculpture of Daniel and the animals. I believe it is part of the scripture and it is in the church in Eirexe. One day someone will put a picture of it on this site. Thank you to all of you .

Man, it's been a while since I've seen the film...Where exactly is the out-of-sequence Orisson scene? I gather that it's after Pamplona, but can't seem to remember it off the top of my head...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Man, it's been a while since I've seen the film...Where exactly is the out-of-sequence Orisson scene? I gather that it's after Pamplona, but can't seem to remember it off the top of my head...
You obviously need to watch the film again.

You obviously need to watch the film again.
True, but my boss wouldn't appreciate that for the next several hours...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I didn't wish to appear unhelpful. The scene at the Orisson albergue occurs just before Pamplona, and after Akerreta, at about 39 minutes into the film.

I didn't wish to appear unhelpful. The scene at the Orisson albergue occurs just before Pamplona, and after Akerreta, at about 39 minutes into the film.

:D Thanks... I'll sneak a peek if my evil work overlord gets distracted...!

In fairness, I don't get to sit outside Orisson until April 10...!

Last edited:
Watching the movie just now and cant help but I checked Posada in Roncesvalles and the interior is very different from what I see in the movie :D Does anyone know where that scene (his first night on the camino) was actually recorded, in which albergue?

I got this some time ago:
Although many of the exterior shots at Roncesvalles are genuine, the interiors of the hostel were shot on a set constructed next to the old town mill, and when Sheen emerges in the morning he is actually leaving the Hotel La Posada, where he spends a night among fellow snorers and where he is attended by famous Spanish actress Angela Molina.
It used to be here: http://www.silver-screen-spain.com/index.php/film-index/item/664-the-way-2010
But now I just get an error message.
On the other hand, the list of locations, supplied to me by the locations manager of the film says this:
Scenes 41, 42, 44 ALBERGUE LA POSADA actually REFUGIO "ITZANDEGIA" Calle Única s/n. 31650 Roncesvalles
Scenes 40, 43, 45, 46 ALBERGUE LA POSADA actually LA POSADA Roncesvalles/Orreaga 31650 Navarra

I'm sure Mr. Sheen just got a little confused on all the retakes of scenes they probably had to do. Or else in film editing they accidentally got a couple of scenes mixed up, such as Orrison.
There are many issues to consider when filming a movie, lighting due to time of day, the best angle to show the best scenery (why they seem to be walking east as opposed to west) and the fit of the content that they filmed (sitting at the albergue in Orisson) sometimes you need to mix scenery up with people, buildings etc... to make a movie flow better. Artistic license. We must remember The Way is NOT a documentary but a movie about a fathers journey after losing his son along the Camino. The beauty and lessons of the Camino are definitely depicted in the movie and I think Emilio, Martin and the rest of the cast did a fantastic job.

€149,-
Hi all:

Very well put together, I always wondered about some of the location scenes in the film. Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all:

Wow, thank you SO MUCH. I love this. I have seen the movie once, just ordered my own DVD so I can watch it multiple times. I will look for the locations! :)

Wow, thank you SO MUCH. I love this. I have seen the movie once, just ordered my own DVD so I can watch it multiple times. I will look for the locations! :)
If you think caminofácil is good (18 locations), you will be knocked out if you read this: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/locations-used-in-the-way.67359/#post-858431 (over 100 locations). I have listed many more locations, but I can't do the visuals like caminofácil. I did not find them all myself; I received a lot of help from other forum members.

If you think caminofácil is good (18 locations), you will be knocked out if you read this: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/locations-used-in-the-way.67359/#post-858431 (over 100 locations). I have listed many more locations, but I can't do the visuals like caminofácil. I did not find them all myself; I received a lot of help from other forum members.
Holy Cow! This is really amazing. I had no idea how many The Way junkies were out there. Finally, something fun to do in my spare time. I'll be looking at all of the comments soon. Thank you! 😊

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.