• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"The Way" the movie 'tragic' seeks HELP!

I can vouch for El Molino, one of our best nights on our Camino, the food was to die for and the room was excellent. I must admit tho, when they came and picked us up on the Camino we were wondering where they were taking us. But we will be back in 2017.
hi marbuck, purely by chance I had a similar experience two nights ago at el molino. super special experience!! very interesting ride from 'downtown' hornillos for the first arrival. I learned the main building was constructed 230 years ago and at one time in history was a real mill grinding wheat into flour. this past wed (may 10, 2017) there was paraphernalia
from the way on a wall or two in the main building where I had an upstairs
bedroom. fantastic Cena. ultreia, ct

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yup, I also believe they think the movie is a reflection of reality. After all, how many times have peopleco e here and ask where thos and that place is, and complained that the film locations are not in the real geographic sequence?

Hum... Something else for the FAQ & Questions Not To Ask ;).

There is a scene later in the movie where they are all walking a path with a strong river on their right. I don't remember any section of the camino like this. Anyone know where this was filmed?
This section is near the town of Briñas, north of Santo Domingo de las Calzadas. The section begins with a brief shot of a stone cross with a yellow arrow below it. A few minutes later, the group passes the same cross. The river is the Río Ebro. They are walking in the wrong direction, so they must have painted the yellow arrow themselves for the film. It is not there when you find the cross with Streetview (17 Calle Solana, Briñas). There IS a camino that goes through Briñas and Haro, the Camino del Interior. It is the third time (at least) that they walk in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
The restaurant in Burgos where Tom's pack was stolen is called Gordero Gohginillo: Horno de Lena. Just near the Tourist Info center at the Cathedral. Put your back to the side of the Cathedral and face the TI. And here are two photos of the outside. Just across from the sign is a restaurant that serves FRIED EGGS in the morning. I ate there three times!View attachment 20689 View attachment 20688
That's not the name of the bar! It's what they serve and how they cook it. You have misread it, too. It says "Cordero Cochinillo Horno de Leña" -- Lamb (and) Suckling Pig (cooked in a) Wood (-fired) Oven. The name of the bar is Rincón de España [Corner of Spain]

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello:
Does anybody know what town Tom spent the night in Jail and how much is the bail?

Cheers

John
The police station is at 47 Rua Vieja [Calle Ruavieja accoding to Google (!)], Logroño. Surely 'bail' is what you promise to pay if you don't turn up for a court hearing, so that you can stay out of jail until the hearing . What Jack paid was Tom's fine for being drunk and disorderly (though I don't think he was, really, until the police got hold of him and he started to lash out). But they did say 'bail' in the film.

Last edited:
This section is near the town of Briñas, north of Santo Domingo de las Calzadas. The section begins with a brief shot of a stone cross with a yellow arrow below it. A few minutes later, the group passes the same cross.
The river is the Río Ebro. They are walking in the wrong direction, so they must have painted the yellow arrow themselves for the film. It is not there when you find the cross with Streetview (17 Calle Solana, Briñas). There IS a camino that goes through Briñas and Haro, the Camino del Interior. It is the third time (at least) that they walk in the wrong direction.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Julia - Thanks so much for this information - it will be a fantastic experience to visit this bar ... it has a great vibe and looks to be quite cosy - a great place to settle in at the end of the day I think!
No, it's not called Rabé de las Calzadas. That's the name of a village 13 km after Burgos. The name of the restaurant/bar is Rincón de España.

Yup, I also believe they think the movie is a reflection of reality. After all, how many times have peopleco e here and ask where thos and that place is, and complained that the film locations are not in the real geographic sequence?

Hum... Something else for the FAQ & Questions Not To Ask ;).

Whilst I am one of those that certainly enjoyed the movie and still do, surely we need to credit people with a few brain cells? :eek:

I think the frequent comments about where places are and the observation that scenes are in the wrong sequence or are not actually on the Camino, are made merely out of curiosity. Or people trying to show their Camino knowledge by pointing it out. :rolleyes:

It's a bit of fun for some to realise they are walking sections or visiting places that were featured in the movie. That's all. It doesn't mean they think the movie is 'real' as such.

As for those who condemn the movie as a piece of fantasy, I'm not sure that's quite fair either. Certainly IMHO it gave a good 'feel' of what the Camino Frances is like. Particularly the interactions with other Pilgrims. When people ask me, was the Camino like in the movie, I have to honestly answer...........Yes. For me it was. I met great people, formed close relationships, learned things about myself, came to realise what was important to me, what really didn't matter.....etc etc......

Did I encounter Gypsy parties? No. It was a movie, they make stuff up to make an interesting story. I think people get that don't they? ;);)

Last edited:
Whilst I am one of those that certainly enjoyed the movie and still do, surely we need to credit people with a few brain cells? :eek:
Did I encounter Gypsy parties? No. It was a movie, they make stuff up to make an interesting story. I think people get that don't they? ;);)

True, although I must admit that when I first visited Austria I was dissapointed that the Von Trapps did not appear on that mountain and started singing " Edelweiss "....:D;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
True, although I must admit that when I first visited Austria I was dissapointed that the Von Trapps did not appear on that mountain and started singing " Edelweiss "....:D;)

I think they only do that on Sundays now. Getting on in age a bit ;)
Now 'that' movie, as I understand, is loosely based on a true story.........

To follow on from Jenny's post the location of the Burgos bar would be a real plus. Some of the other sites are difficult to track-down - for example the scene with the hay stacks. They were moved less than an hour after they finished shooting. The place where Tom gets arrested would also be of interest - seeing as how they were real Spanish Police who arrested him!!
Cheers to all.
Tom got drunk and was arrested at the CVNE Bodega (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) (also seen as Cune, which is pronounceable) in Haro, which is not on the Camino Francés, but it is on the Camino del Interior (Haro, that is, not the bodega). He is then taken to a police station at 47 Rúa Vieja, Logroño.

That's not the name of the bar! It's what they serve and how they cook it. You have misread it, too. It says "Cordero Cochinillo Horno de Leña" -- Lamb (and) Suckling Pig (cooked in a) Wood (-fired) Oven. The name of the bar is Rincón de España [Corner of Spain]
I stuck my head into this "bar / restaurant" back in 2015 and it was unchanged; however when I popped-in, in May 2017 I surprised to see that there had been a total renovation. I doubt they would welcome pilgrims with backpacks now, its very much 4 Star!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The film is fiction, enjoyable fiction, but fiction. Virtually no one in it has walked the Camino. Still, it captured a slice of the atmosphere. Pata de Oca scenes were left on the cutting room floor, but they claim the crew used the place extensively for lodging, food, and beverage. I prefer to enjoy my experiences rather than the film's. :)

Interesting. Does anyone know if the Pata y Oca footage has survived and is accessible? I'd enjoy seeing it.... I took a trail break at Pata y Oca in 2012. My son and I stayed there overnight in 2017 and loved it! (That's my son in the blue shirt center right.)

1547395523141.png

Hola, I stuck my head in through the door of this cafe/ restaurant and as far as I could tell it was exactly as it was in the movie. There wasn't a single thing to indicate that it had been a scene in the movie. So maybe some people just want to remain as they were! Cheers

Mandatory "sightseeing" for me in mid-2017. Enjoyed a good gintonic there, too, at the end of a long hard day! ... It did not look like it had in the film, however, and if I understood the barkeep correctly had been recently and extensively remodeled. ... Now rather upscale by peregrino standards. ... No reason to re-visit when I'm next in Burgos....

Nothing stays the same for very long.

Last edited:
Interesting. Does anyone know if the Pata y Oca footage has survived and is accessible? I'd enjoy seeing it.... I took a trail break at Pata y Oca in 2012. My son and I stayed there overnight in 2017 and loved it! (That's my son in the blue shirt center right.)

View attachment 50658
I stayed at that albergue in 2015. Nice place, and I remember enjoying a couple of beers from the bar there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Mandatory "sightseeing" for me in mid-2017. Enjoyed a good gintonic there, too, at the end of a long hard day! ... It did not look like it had in the film, however, and if I understood the barkeep correctly had been recently and extensively remodeled. ... Now rather upscale by peregrino standards. ... No reason to re-visit when I'm next in Burgos....

Nothing stays the same for very long.

That was exactly what I found in May 2017. Cheers

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back