• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"The Way" the movie 'tragic' seeks HELP!

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Time of past OR future Camino
CF whole & part 12-19, VF 17, VDLP+ptSbres22
Greetings everyone -

Firstly, let me apologize if my question has already been answered on a previous thread ...

My question is, I'd love to know the names and addresses of the lesser-known restaurant/bar locations which were featured in "The Way"... for example, the bar in the first part of the movie where Tom and Joost had the disagreement over whether the small bites were tapas or pintxos.

Saint Mike II, David and I will be in Pamplona next week on Thursday and Friday before Mike heads off on his bike camino all the way to Finisterre. After Mike leaves David and I will be helping pilgrims with first aid - most likely in the first parts of the Frances - from Roncesvalles over to Castrojeriz. We would all love to sit down to a meal at any of these establishments, even the one in Burgos where Tom's pack was stolen! I know that Laurie (peregrina 2000) has mentioned this establishment recently - thank you Laurie.

If you could help us out with the names and addresses, we would all be very grateful and we will have a toast to you!

BTW - Mike is intending to stay at the Parador in Leon and will try to get as close as possible to Tom's room! Even if it's just knocking on the door! 'Don't think that room will be offered at the pilgrims' discount Mike! However, the treat of the Parador is another story for another thread, which I know has been covered recently! ;)

Thanks and cheers -

Jenny

Jenny explains later (on 29th August) what "tragic" means:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Greetings everyone -

Firstly, let me apologize if my question has already been answered on a previous thread ...

My question is, I'd love to know the names and addresses of the lesser-known restaurant/bar locations which were featured in "The Way"... for example, the bar in the first part of the movie where Tom and Joost had the disagreement over whether the small bites were tapas or pintxos.

Saint Mike II, David and I will be in Pamplona next week on Thursday and Friday before Mike heads off on his bike camino all the way to Finisterre. After Mike leaves David and I will be helping pilgrims with first aid - most likely in the first parts of the Frances - from Roncesvalles over to Castrojeriz. We would all love to sit down to a meal at any of these establishments, even the one in Burgos where Tom's pack was stolen! I know that Laurie (peregrina 2000) has mentioned this establishment recently - thank you Laurie.

If you could help us out with the names and addresses, we would all be very grateful and we will have a toast to you!

BTW - Mike is intending to stay at the Parador in Leon and will try to get as close as possible to Tom's room! Even if it's just knocking on the door! 'Don't think that room will be offered at the pilgrims' discount Mike! However, the treat of the Parador is another story for another thread, which I know has been covered recently! ;)

Thanks and cheers -

Jenny
The Pamplona restaurant is Meson del Caballo Blanco on Calle Redin. Facing the cathedral, walk through plaza on left. Follow little lane to plaza on the walls. Restaurant on right. Can't miss it!

The Pamplona restaurant is Meson del Caballo Blanco on Calle Redin. Facing the cathedral, walk through plaza on left. Follow little lane to plaza on the walls. Restaurant on right. Can't miss it!
Thanks so much John! We really appreciate the directions too. We'll all have a toast to you!
Cheers - Jenny

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Jenny, sorry not answering your question, just saying hello.:)
I hope to meet up with you and David sometime in September ? I have been talking to him about maybe helping him next year? I'm a registered nurse and have found it necessary to give some first aid quite a few times on my last 2 visits to the camino. It feels very good to help any pilgrim in need.:D
Hope you enjoy your time in Spain. Maybe see you soon?
Sarah

To follow on from Jenny's post the location of the Burgos bar would be a real plus. Some of the other sites are difficult to track-down - for example the scene with the hay stacks. They were moved less than an hour after they finished shooting. The place where Tom gets arrested would also be of interest - seeing as how they were real Spanish Police who arrested him!!
Cheers to all.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The scene where he gets drunk and arrested is in the wine town Haro. Not on the camino. But I think the jail release scene is in Logrono. The scene where they sleep in a clostier with candles was created in the monastery of Irache.. .discussed in a earlier thread...it might become a real albergue...did it?
To follow on from Jenny's post the location of the Burgos bar would be a real plus. Some of the other sites are difficult to track-down - for example the scene with the hay stacks. They were moved less than an hour after they finished shooting. The place where Tom gets arrested would also be of interest - seeing as how they were real Spanish Police who arrested him!!
Cheers to all.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino del Hornillos scene where Yost is cooking in a family's kitchen was filmed in a casa rural about 8 k south of Camino. Happened to stay there. One of Martin sheens relatives ended up marrying one of the family's daughters. The family is very proud of heir Hollywood connection

Camino del Hornillos scene where Yost is cooking in a family's kitchen was filmed in a casa rural about 8 k south of Camino. Happened to stay there. One of Martin sheens relatives ended up marrying one of the family's daughters. The family is very proud of heir Hollywood connection
This is an old converted mill, El Molino do Camino, in Vilviestre do Muno and is a special spot with very good food.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Jetgirl - thanks; its Martin's grandson (Emilio's son) who married the local girl. Is there place open to pilgrims? I am on my bike so 8 km is not really out of the way! Cheers

(Ops - I have just had a look at my schedule and realise that I am going through to Castrojeriz so might have to give it a miss. But others might be interested. Tks)

Hi Jenny, sorry not answering your question, just saying hello.:)
I hope to meet up with you and David sometime in September ? I have been talking to him about maybe helping him next year? I'm a registered nurse and have found it necessary to give some first aid quite a few times on my last 2 visits to the camino. It feels very good to help any pilgrim in need.:D
Hope you enjoy your time in Spain. Maybe see you soon?
Sarah
Hi Sarah - thank you so much for posting to say hello! It's lovely to hear from you!

David has told me of the first aid work you've been doing on your caminos - it's a wonderful thing to be able to help someone in need, unexpectedly and unconditionally. One of the most selfless acts of first aid I have ever seen was given by a registered nurse here in Sydney ... it's a long story, and one that I hope to be able to tell you over a bottle of Rioja ... I hope so much that we can all meet up and spend some time together in the second half of September when you come out to the Camino.

Thanks again for getting in touch, and if the Fates allow we will definitely catch up on The Way!

Best, best wishes -

Jenny

The scene where he gets drunk and arrested is in the wine town Haro. Not on the camino. But I think the jail release scene is in Logrono. The scene where they sleep in a clostier with candles was created in the monastery of Irache.. .discussed in a earlier thread...it might become a real albergue...did it?
Thanks John for this information ... it will be fantastic to visit these locations. I feel that I know them already, having watched the movie so many times.
Cheers - Jenny

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Jetgirl - thanks so much for the information about the Camino del Hornillos scene. How wonderful that you had the opportunity to stay there - it would have been very special. I think it's fantastic that one of the Sheen family married into a local 'Camino' family. Having that family connection would make "The Way" even more special to the extended families - both in Spain and in the US.

Cheers - Jenny

Somewhere there is a website with a list of all the locations used in The Way.

The bar in Burgos is Rabe de las Calzadas.
Hi Julia - Thanks so much for this information - it will be a fantastic experience to visit this bar ... it has a great vibe and looks to be quite cosy - a great place to settle in at the end of the day I think!

Hi Margaret - thanks so much for this information - it will be a wonderful experience to enjoy a good meal in such beautiful surroundings.

Cheers - Jenny
By chance I stayed there 02/2009 when the albergue in Hornadillos was closed for it's first renovation. I telephoned from Burgos and the owner(?) met me at the church in H, drove me to the Molino and back again to H next day so I could continue without missing a step on the way.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Does anyone know where the rucksack falling off the bridge scene was filmed?

Good question, i have often wondered where this took place! Some of the bridges i crossed on my caminos i thought of this scene.

Am I the only one.......wondering about this peculiar thread?
Don't get me wrong; like for many, The Way was instrumental for me to walk the camino and I don't want to appear to be judgemental. But to elevate movie locations to the level of shrines and places of pilgrimage seems a bit rich for me. Next think will be the dispensing of Martin Sheen coffee mugs....or what?
The movie describes the camino as the background of a story, the locations were chosen as typical and are entirely symbolic; rather than singling them out, we should regard and enjoy the entire camino as a magical location, –as our own, personal experience, not the one of some movie actor.
All the cafe's, bars and albergues along the camino are somehow- or not at all- part of the movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bah Humbug Pano and Kathar1na. The ghosts of Camino past, Camino present and Camino future may visit you this Christmas. !!

This is not shrine making, this is FUN making. It has no importance it is just fun.

The river was real but was low at that time of the year. They opened the dam upstream for an hour or so to get the scene. It is off Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bah Humbug Pano and Kathar1na. The ghosts of Camino past, Camino present and Camino future may visit you this Christmas. !!
This is not shrine making, this is FUN making. It has no importance it is just fun.
The river was real but was low at that time of the year. They opened the dam upstream for an hour or so to get the scene. It is off Camino.
Thanks for the curse David. And please keep on posting those "locations of worship" so that they can be visited, –or avoided entirely, depending....:D

PS: "Fun" may be to re-create a Las Vegas camino, -they already have a meseta, lets see who picks up the idea. (my ©)

You may call me Ebiniza from now on but if I'm honest that are two words I don't want to hear anymore while I'm walking and they are Tom-Joost-Jack and Hape-Kerkeling. That and maybe awesome. ;)
Well said! Glad that there still are people out there seeking their own-, rather than second-hand experiences.;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Every step on the Camino, every building, every tree, every view, every greeting - all are secondhand experiences, no one is making a new trail, all of us step where millions have stepped before. I find it rather sad that was was intended as a warm and fun thread has been hijacked.
Such a shame
Of course I can understand that a few people, of a different type of mind, do not wish to join in the fun. What I do not understand is why they do not just ignore the post and leave it to those who are enjoying it, rather than trying to spoil it.

And I do not curse, nor do I make oaths

Every step on the Camino, every building, every tree, every view, every greeting - all are secondhand experiences, no one is making a new trail, all of us step where millions have stepped before. I find it rather sad that was was intended as a warm and fun thread has been hijacked.
Such a shame
Of course I can understand that a few people, of a different type of mind, do not wish to join in the fun. What I do not understand is why they do not just ignore the post and leave it to those who are enjoying it, rather than trying to spoil it.

Your camino –––my camino. Where you see "fun", I see risks of the camino becoming a commercial theme park, my fun's are of a different type. Lets leave it at that:).

Hi Pano and Kathar1na -

I'm so sorry if you both misunderstood the purpose of the thread - it was not my intention to elevate certain locations, or indeed any of the locations from the movie to shrines or places of pilgrimage. The Camino pilgrimage is something which I hold as sacred and it lives very deep within my heart - more than most could ever know. All I set out to do was to seek the help of fellow Forum members in locating the lesser-known locations that were featured in the movie so that we might visit those locations and share reflections from what is a great movie. It was intended to be a fun and informative thread, and I'm very grateful to those who've generously responded with the information I sought and also to pass on their greetings, such as Sarah (Griffin57) has done.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Nick -

Forum member Norelle (who is a dear friend to both Mike and to me) has come up trumps with the bridge scene information, and so much more : here is the link -

http://www.silver-screen-spain.com/index.php/film-index/item/664-the-way-2010

The link sets out all the information on the various locations featured in the movie - it's really interesting reading.

Thank you Norelle - this information is very much appreciated.

Cheers - Jenny xxx

Hi - If I remember the post movie discussion with Martin/Emilio/David A - it was off-Camino (although within walking distance - maybe half a day) and was staged by arrangement with a local water authority - they held the water back (in a small dam) a day or so and then released it. Martin was not too impressed when the stunt man/double declined to do the scene!!! Claimed the river to was too high; too strong a current!!

Good question, i have often wondered where this took place! Some of the bridges i crossed on my caminos i thought of this scene.
Hi AML - Norelle has very kindly answered this question for us ... check out the link in my post to Nick.
Cheers - Jenny

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't get me wrong; like for many, The Way was instrumental for me to walk the camino and I don't want to appear to be judgemental. But to elevate movie locations to the level of shrines and places of pilgrimage seems a bit rich for me. Next think will be the dispensing of Martin Sheen coffee mugs....or what?
The movie describes the camino as the background of a story, the locations were chosen as typical and are entirely symbolic; rather than singling them out, we should regard and enjoy the entire camino as a magical location, –as our own, personal experience, not the one of some movie actor.
All the cafe's, bars and albergues along the camino are somehow- or not at all- part of the movie.
Pano - I am aware others have responded - but here is my 2 cents. It is not Jenny's desire to elevate anything. She is merely seeking to visit some of the scene locations, especially the bars and restaurants. As one who has seen the movie at least 3 times (I have the DVD) I know I would be interested in seeing or having a drink in some of the locations. As for the Martin Sheen coffee mugs - can I have a red one???
Cheers

Pano - I am aware others have responded - but here is my 2 cents. It is not Jenny's desire to elevate anything. She is merely seeking to visit some of the scene locations, especially the bars and restaurants. As one who has seen the movie at least 3 times (I have the DVD) I know I would be interested in seeing or having a drink in some of the locations. As for the Martin Sheen coffee mugs - can I have a red one???
Cheers
Cheers Mike - that means I can have the blue and yellow one! ;)

Hi AML - Norelle has very kindly answered this question for us ... check out the link in my post to Nick.
Cheers - Jenny

Thanks Jenny......great info....
Cheers, Aidan

€60,-
Film induced tourism is a complete industry!
With famous examples of 'Lord of the Rings', numerous British police series, sometimes a complete transformation due to a movie like 'Notting Hill' in London.

In the case of 'The Way' we better call it Film Induced Pilgrimage;-)

Just recently I mentioned 'Just a bench worth a pilgrimage' on my weblog Pilgrimage and Place. It's about last year's movie 'The fault in our stars'.
http://pilgrimageandplace.blogspot.nl/2015/08/just-bench-worth-pilgrimage.html

It's a nice subject, I think.

Every pilgrim needs to walk their own Camino??

Such a shame

I liked your post. 10years when we walked the camino, there were hundreds of Germans walking it simply because they had read a book by a German comedian. Now a lot of Americans are walking it because of this film. Otherwise they may have never heard of the camino. And why not? So many people have found something wonderful in their lives either because of a film or a book and that surely can only be a good thing. Cheer up pano and don't take these posts so seriously!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Film induced tourism is a complete industry!
With famous examples of 'Lord of the Rings', numerous British police series, sometimes a complete transformation due to a movie like 'Notting Hill' in London.

In the case of 'The Way' we better call it Film Induced Pilgrimage;-)

Just recently I mentioned 'Just a bench worth a pilgrimage' on my weblog Pilgrimage and Place. It's about last year's movie 'The fault in our stars'.
http://pilgrimageandplace.blogspot.nl/2015/08/just-bench-worth-pilgrimage.html

It's a nice subject, I think.
Hi Paul - thanks for responding and for the light-hearted comment about "The Way". Thanks also for the link on your weblog to "The Fault in Our Stars" - it looks like a lovely, poignant movie. I'm hoping that it might be on the inflight movie selections on my flight next week, and if so I'll catch it then. If it isn't, I'll download it once I'm home.

Cheers - Jenny

I liked your post. 10years when we walked the camino, there were hundreds of Germans walking it simply because they had read a book by a German comedian. Now a lot of Americans are walking it because of this film. Otherwise they may have never heard of the camino. And why not? So many people have found something wonderful in their lives either because of a film or a book and that surely can only be a good thing. Cheer up pano and don't take these posts so seriously!
Hi Annette - Thanks so much for your response and particularly for your sentiment that "so many people have found something wonderful in their lives because of a film or a book and that surely can only be a good thing". This really chimes with me - thank you again.

Cheers - Jenny

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I read somewhere that the character "El Ramone" was inspired by a character in the Jack Hitt book "Off The Road: A Modern Day Walk Down the Pilgrim's Route", but I still think that the character was also influenced by the guy at the "Elvis Bar" at Reliegos, just before Mansilla. I asked him if Sheen had visited the Elvis Bar and he proudly said that he did.

I still laugh when the Irishman asks "El Ramone" for the toilet and "El Ramone" opens the door to the back yard and the Irishman replies "It's a bit more serious than that."

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The film is fiction, enjoyable fiction, but fiction. Virtually no one in it has walked the Camino. Still, it captured a slice of the atmosphere. Pata de Oca scenes were left on the cutting room floor, but they claim the crew used the place extensively for lodging, food, and beverage. I prefer to enjoy my experiences rather than the film's. :)

Kanga,

Where and when did this meet and greet take place? Perhaps curiosity killed the cat but your opening phrase is a great title for a future op-ed piece!

MM

@mspath - Margaret I stayed in an albergue at Sansol and the next morning walked the 2km into Torres del Rio. As you know the Camino drops down below the road and comes up into the town. As I walked up I noticed lots of film vans and cameras set up beside the Camino and thought, "oh, probably another tourist documentary on the Camino". I had left Sansol without breakfast so stopped at the first open bar, below a private albergue. It was empty apart from a lady behind the counter. As I sat down to drink my cafe con leche and tostada there was a flurry of activity and a group of people trooped in, centred around one short, but extremely handsome older man, who was familiar but who I could not place. He said, "Señorita, where are the pilgrims, I wanted to have breakfast with them". She said, "the ones who stayed with me have already left, but here is a pilgrim, she has walked from Le Puy". So he sat down with me and we chatted very briefly over coffee. I then left. As I walked out I remembered "Of course! The President, West Wing!"

A few days later I was mooching around outside the Cathedral in Burgos and I hear a shout "Oi! It's the Australian pilgrim!" And it was Martin Sheen. So we had a few more words together. He didn't approve of me staying two nights in Burgos in a hotel!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
PS - Martin and the other actors did walk quite long distances while making the film. Perhaps not in a straight line, but often over and over again. One of the film crew in Burgos told me the younger people always flagged before Martin.

Hi Nick -

Forum member Norelle (who is a dear friend to both Mike and to me) has come up trumps with the bridge scene information, and so much more : here is the link -

http://www.silver-screen-spain.com/index.php/film-index/item/664-the-way-2010

The link sets out all the information on the various locations featured in the movie - it's really interesting reading.

Thank you Norelle - this information is very much appreciated.

Cheers - Jenny xxx

Jenny, Norelle...many thanks!

Very interesting and informative site....loved this quote:
"Alberto is a journalist who has spent three years in Edinburgh, despite which he speaks very good English."

Jenny enjoy your upcoming time on the Camino!

Best wishes

Nick

For those of you that own the movie, be sure to watch the hour segment on the DVD where Martin and Emilio take you through the making of the movie. They tell you about the filming locations and the actors. Many of the people shown in the film are locals. This segment is as interesting as the movie.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
PS - Martin and the other actors did walk quite long distances while making the film. Perhaps not in a straight line, but often over and over again. One of the film crew in Burgos told me the younger people always flagged before Martin.
A great film and it has I am sure brought prosperity to many people. However there is no mention anywhere of the blisters,! The aching legs! The aching feet! The Tendonitis! The list goes on. But then maybe that's a good thing or those prospective pilgrims might think twice about walking The way!!

I agree Jill - from the dim distance of memory I think they walked between 300 and 350 km - so a little under half distance. Cheers

That dinner in the monastery and cloister and candle evening in the movie, The Way, was magical. Boom! That one sealed the deal when I watched it with my group. That has to be what we all want. If it becomes an albergue, wow! Thanks. Mooncat

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Flashback to 2012 and this girl is sick - she's on a pilgrimage to mayo and Cleveland, emery, and Stanford. No one has an answer - she's lost her career and will be given just months to live ... Someone recommends that she see this movie and that one as a means to distract her from the 15th doc who says"yes, you will not live long enough to see 2014". So, yeah, The Way was one of many movies that I saw and promptly forgot about.

Then when I got the miracle and my European doc says I must prove to him I am truly well and he agrees that IF I bring him a compostela from the Camino, he will sign me off to go back to work. So I walk and walk and walk and it just so HAPPENS that I end up at a casa rural that was part of the movie and the people there are great and have great food and I end up meeting people with whom that I will walk the rest of the Way - what of it?! It had nothing to do with tracking down movie sites but it was a quintessential Camino experience.

Last edited:
A couple of my own "The Way" experiences.

I met a Dutchman my first day out, although it was me who lost weight for my brother's wedding that summer!

Got picked up by the police on a rainy day. Although I was not drunk, just lost thanks to an unscrupulous albergue owner in Fromista who used his own arrows to lure pilgrims off the Camino to his albergue. The cops were nice enough to give me a ride back to town.

Like many of you, I was supremely disappointed that the albergue in the cloister was not real.

I credit "The Way" for inspiring me to learn more about the Camino which led to me walking it. One of the ways I kept myself going while walking was telling myself, "Come on! Martin Sheen did this, you can too!"

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
" That movie" has not done the cause any good. Most people honestly believe the movie is reality and have fallen in love with a fantasy created by a movie.
That is not a good thing for those who are serious.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
" That movie" has not done the cause any good.

Not true. My first reaction to hearing about the Camino was to completely dismiss it. The Camino is something for kids with rich parents or people that can afford to take a month off from work to go traipsing around Spain. Here in the real world, people have jobs, obligations, bills to pay. To be honest, it didn't even interest me. Walk 500 miles? What's the point?

But one night, out of sheer boredom and a lack of anything better to watch on Netflix, I gave The Way a shot. I didn't even know it was about the Camino. But I watched it and liked it. I wanted to know more about this way of St. James. So I started looking around, reading articles, blogs, watching videos, and finding this site. And last year, I made my own pilgrimage to Santiago.

I suppose some would argue that me being a pilgrim doesn't qualify as a good thing! But for me, it has been the best thing that's ever happened to me.

Two things I have found about the Camino, everyone has a story their own Camino to tell, but may I say that I have found that so many who came to the Camino because of the movie also found disappointment as the Camino was nothing like the movie. Some people get caught up with movies and forget that they are not real, secondly like John Brierly's GUIDE book some take it as the holy Grail and push themselves to walk each stage and again have seen so many injuries by folk over doing things, but in their haste forget to stop and smell the roses. So whilst these bring so many and each tear seems more, my answer is to choose another route, smile at those that seem in a hurry and give a helping hand to those that seem down. I will walk the Camino for a third time in 2016 I will walk an alternative route but I will use guide books as a guide and have no expectations ...that way I will not be disappointed. Buen Camino to all no matter what or why they are walking a Camino I am sure it will change them one way or the other.

"That movie" has not done the cause any good. Most people honestly believe the movie is reality and have fallen in love with a fantasy created by a movie.
That is not a good thing for those who are serious

I have met no one who thinks the movie is any sort of reality - not on the trail and not stateside. In fact, there were not so many who HAD seen it prior to their pilgrimage. It has always been a topic of curiosity more than any seriousness. I cannot report seeing any trash along river beds or streams. We all kept bags in our outside pockets of our packs and picked up trash along the way - regardless of our country of origin. I must have had a one off experience based on some of the comments on this thread!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a "cause"??

I think I have to disagree re films as I have yet to meet a human who thought that any film they had watched was real. People identify with films - remember all those youngsters going around in long black coats after the Matrix came out .... And then there are Treckies! But isn't it really a recognition of 'tribe'? That one has found something that resonates? And if so, well, isn't that how we are all called to Camino? I may be wrong, just thinking aloud here.
Tens of Millions have watched The Way and for a few it has acted on them at a deep level, literally forcing them to give up the "real" world and go on pilgrimage, most of them without even knowing why. I think that this is a good thing.

Are we to assume that there is a 'cause' and therefore there are only certain acceptable ways to be called to go on Camino?

Come now.

Last edited:
I don't understand why it says "tragic" in the subject line. Did I miss something?

Ah, I think we are into Australian English here! I think Jenny was being self-deprecating. 'tragic' as a term for herself as a fan of the film - the way people sign themselves when writing to agony Aunt columns. If you knew Jenny you would know she has a a marvellous and irrereverent sense of humour. Think she was being tongue in cheek there. :):);)

I don't understand why it says "tragic" in the subject line. Did I miss something?
Hi Jill - David is correct in what he says about the use of the word "tragic" in the heading. It's a well-known Aussie expression - and it's often used for our national broadcaster, the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). The quality of TV and radio programming on the ABC is top notch. If you tell anyone here you're an ABC 'tragic', they immediately know that you're a huge fan of the ABC.
Cheers - Jenny
PS - BTW - I'm a Forum 'tragic' too! :);)

Personally........the movie made me aware of the Camino in the first place. Whilst I realised it was a movie and not 'reality' it was the movie that drew me to walk the Camino this year.

Was my Camino like the movie? Of course not. But elements of it were.....

Was the movie total fantasy? For me, No. It was a story set on the Camino. And many of the scenes were representative of a Camino experience.

I have just watched it again, 6 weeks after returning from the Camino, and IMHO it captures the 'spirit' of the Camino very well. There were certain scenes that were very 'Camino like'. Like when they walk across the square in Burgos and all meet 'friends' from earlier in the Camino. That seemed like a daily scene to me on reaching the stopping point for the night.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is a scene later in the movie where they are all walking a path with a strong river on their right. I don't remember any section of the camino like this. Anyone know where this was filmed?

Cheers
I'll take a yellow one!!!

I think that was in Ponte Sampaio, no? At least the spanish folks in my group were saying so.....I didn't watched the movie, have to say it.

" That movie" has not done the cause any good. Most people honestly believe the movie is reality and have fallen in love with a fantasy created by a movie.
That is not a good thing for those who are serious.
Scott,
I don't think anyone believes that the movie is reality! That or any other movie! The movie has inspired many to do a Camino, including my husband and myself. We did additional research to find out exactly what its like. As for not doing any good, I think every person that was inspired by the movie and then walked the Camino would argue that point with you. Also every albergue, restaurant, store, hotel, etc along the Camino has greatly benefited from the additional walkers inspired by the movie. I've watched that movie nearly two dozen times with family and friends. Love it and each time try to pick out areas we walked by. It's my grandsons favorite film when at our house.So it is also inspiring the next generation of viewers.
Wish I would have had the list of places when I walked. Next time though. Jenny, take the list and see how many you can check off while in Spain!!! The whole Camino does not have to be a somber walk. There is time for fun with other pilgrims and certainly stopping by a bar that was in a film, or a bridge, or an albergue shouldn't be taken in such a negative manner that you and Pano appear to have.
Lynda

When I met Martin Sheen I remarked that a film might popularise the Camino and bring a lot more people. His replied that he thought that would be a good thing.
Sad he doesn't realise the mess this was going to create. I am with Scott and Pano. Just wait until people forget about this movie, fingers crossed, and all of those who have invested in bars and albergues find themselves wondering what just happened. Out of curiousity, are donativos getting more generohs donations these days or not?

Oh but wait, a new movie on the Apalacian Trail starts next week. Pehaps that will help oxygenate the Camino again and we can hear about all the dangers of walking in the US

Scott,
I don't think anyone believes that the movie is reality! That or any other movie! The movie has inspired many to do a Camino, including my husband and myself. We did additional research to find out exactly what its like.

It was watching the movie that made me aware of the Camino and then caused me to seek out this Forum. It lead to 18 months of research here getting great advice and 'reality checks' in my planning. I can't think of many other movies that 'move' people in such a fashion.

I suppose I should blame Martin Sheen now for my addiction to this Forum :eek:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It was watching the movie that made me aware of the Camino and then caused me to seek out this Forum. It lead to 18 months of research here getting great advice and 'reality checks' in my planning. I can't think of many other movies that 'move' people in such a fashion.

I suppose I should blame Martin Sheen now for my addiction to this Forum :eek:
@Robo , just remember the person who was going to bring a rice cooker

Two things I have found about the Camino, everyone has a story their own Camino to tell, but may I say that I have found that so many who came to the Camino because of the movie also found disappointment as the Camino was nothing like the movie. Some people get caught up with movies and forget that they are not real, secondly like John Brierly's GUIDE book some take it as the holy Grail and push themselves to walk each stage and again have seen so many injuries by folk over doing things, but in their haste forget to stop and smell the roses. So whilst these bring so many and each tear seems more, my answer is to choose another route, smile at those that seem in a hurry and give a helping hand to those that seem down. I will walk the Camino for a third time in 2016 I will walk an alternative route but I will use guide books as a guide and have no expectations ...that way I will not be disappointed. Buen Camino to all no matter what or why they are walking a Camino I am sure it will change them one way or the other.

You won't go far wrong on the Norte Trevor

That dinner in the monastery and cloister and candle evening in the movie, The Way, was magical. Boom! That one sealed the deal when I watched it with my group. That has to be what we all want. If it becomes an albergue, wow! Thanks. Mooncat

There is a very similar place in the meseta , 12 places only , no bookings and a better place when sitting outside in the evening i have never found on the camino.
Unfortunately most rush past to the bigger town , namely Castrojeriz.
Its donation only but everyone of us paid well in excess of pension costs.
A beautiful place is San Anton

I thought the Norte, but I am going the Catalan Way last year only 92 walked it, I also want to do part of the CF to Santiago as I have done it twice and there is still so much to see. I also take extra foot creams etc to help those that have a problem, also some friends to catchup on and chat and laugh. Thanks for the advice .

€149,-
There is always someone to put some negative into something positive.... The film was beautiful and is some sort on link to something unique and special we have done. Some want to compare, discover some of the places in the movie... Hey that is ok and kinda cool... Please don't judge anybody... This is a super big lesson to learn from the camino...
Do not judge... Accept! :))
All is good.

Last edited:
In Pamplona the bar is Cabayo Blanco (but no Lamb). Also, in Roncesvalle, he did not stay in LaPosada. When you enter Roncesvalle look to your right and you will see the stone building where they stayed (looks like a dormitory). We stayed there because we were slooooow. Don't hurry, enjoy the experience, that's what it's about. I will be volunteering from October 1st to October 15th Please ask for me !!
Buen Camino !

Dave

Last edited:
In Pamplona the bar is Cabayo Blanco (but no Lamb). Also, in Roncesvalle, he did not stay in LaPosada. When you enter Roncesvalle look to your right and you will see the stone building where they stayed (looks like a dormitory). We stayed there because we were slooooow. Don't hurry, enjoy the experience, that's what it's about. I will be volunteering from October 1st to October 15th Please ask for me !!
Buen Camino !

Dave
Cabayo? Or caballo? Either way, no sheep involved, only a horse, and only in the case of caballos

Sorry... I don't know. Something to add though, in Belorado, you may want to know that there is an insert in the sidewalk outside Cuartro Cantones with the footprints and signature of Emililo Estevas ... worth a view !!!Albergue Cuatro Cantones Imprint Outside Door Belorado_1.JPG Barrio El Corro Marketplace c. 1116 Belorado_1.JPG Barrio El Corro Marketplace c. 1116 Belorado_1a.JPG Belorado Hermit Caves_1a.JPG Belorado Hermit Caves_1b.JPG

Duplicate photos removed.

Attachments

• Belorado Hermit Caves_1.JPG
    Belorado Hermit Caves_1.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 179
Sorry, Portuguese, not Spanish, than you for the correction without making me look foolish.

Last edited:
The restaurant in Burgos where Tom's pack was stolen is called Gordero Gohginillo: Horno de Lena. Just near the Tourist Info center at the Cathedral. Put your back to the side of the Cathedral and face the TI. And here are two photos of the outside. Just across from the sign is a restaurant that serves FRIED EGGS in the morning. I ate there three times!P1010078.jpg P1010074.jpg

My $.02: Every pilgrim learned of the Camino in some manner; none of us invented it! For my husband it was a hiking guidebook in REI many many years ago, for others it was from various other books that have been written over the years - maybe Shirley Maclaine's or Paul Coelho's. The Way is just another.... way to bring people to this singular journey.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm really excited about the new movie, "A Walk In The Woods", the movie about the Appalachian Trail. I hope that more people who are prone to attempt things because they saw it in a movie will now want to walk the AT instead of the Camino. Hey, Robert Redford IS cooler than Martin Sheen . . . . . . . . . . of course, in my humble opinion. ;)

I'm really excited about the new movie, "A Walk In The Woods", the movie about the Appalachian Trail. I hope that more people who are prone to attempt things because they saw it in a movie will now want to walk the AT instead of the Camino. Hey, Robert Redford IS cooler than Martin Sheen . . . . . . . . . . of course, in my humble opinion. ;)

I don't understand this mentality. We talk about how great the Camino is, but we don't want anyone else to walk it!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't understand this mentality. We talk about how great the Camino is, but we don't want anyone else to walk it!

It's all about crowd size.

And the winky thing at the end does denote a bit of tongue in cheek humor.

Hi Pano and Kathar1na -

I'm so sorry if you both misunderstood the purpose of the thread - it was not my intention to elevate certain locations, or indeed any of the locations from the movie to shrines or places of pilgrimage. The Camino pilgrimage is something which I hold as sacred and it lives very deep within my heart - more than most could ever know. All I set out to do was to seek the help of fellow Forum members in locating the lesser-known locations that were featured in the movie so that we might visit those locations and share reflections from what is a great movie. It was intended to be a fun and informative thread, and I'm very grateful to those who've generously responded with the information I sought and also to pass on their greetings, such as Sarah (Griffin57) has done.
Thank you for raising this as a conversation. I think that the film has actually added an additional dimension to the experience as good stories have embellished meaning in many things throughout history.... and it is a nice gentle story without which, I probably would never have been exposed to the camino.
I am a natural cynic and pragmatic career junky which may have contributed to my cancer in 2011. Whilst keeping out of peoples way during the dark days of chemo I was searching iTunes for something uplifting and chanced upon the movie. Not only did I find it uplifting but I decided to do it after my recovery and so it gave me a goal and and something to look forward to despite survival not being a foregone conclusion. The subsequent surgery was successful and I was on the camino before my wound had completely healed. I was still on medication and was still somewhat cynical but that mellowed towards the end and of the camino and definitely in the 3 years since then. Some amazing things happened to me on the camino but I only recognised them as significant when reflecting back. On Saturday the 12th September 2015 I leave SJPdP for Finisterre with open mind and heart and very little time for some of the cynics I have seen contribute to this thread as I recognise myself in them. The self I plan to improve. The movie is not the Camino experience of course but it provides some colour and humour to what is essentially a pretty tough and soul searching walk and it will always remain important to me for my own personal reasons. Im sure others also have their own story..
Ultrea..

Harvey

Hello:
Does anybody know what town Tom spent the night in Jail and how much is the bail?

Cheers

John

I smile whenever I see the Logroño police station in the film because I was exactly there, and sitting in the exact same chair, in 2011 on my second Camino! This because I'd decided to use an ATM on Saturday morning on the way out of town (instead of during business hours on Friday), and the machine said the transaction went through but didn't give me the 200 euros I'd asked for! I backtracked to the police station, where the police officers were extremely kind and helped me to straighten everything out. They even offered me a ride to Nájera to make up for the time I lost, but I said thank you, I'd rather walk like I'd planned to. It was a gorgeous day after all. And ever since then, I now use Camino bank machines on weekdays, during business hours. ;)

Rachel

I was in a business meeting this week. As often is the case, during introductions to new associates, as customarily begins before the official business gets on, I met some new peeps, (one who runs races regularly, the other who was just a cool dude). Both surprisingly had "heard" of the camino, exposed by the film. Both claimed that someday they dreamed of doing it, but were inquisitive about how long it takes. One said, "if I had seven days, were could I start?" I replied that many Spanish folks start in Sarria and do the required 1ookm to qualify for a Compostela, but if you could take 2 weeks, start in Leon and maybe even go on to Muxia or Finnesterre. The other was more interested in the long haul (the marathon runner). I told her that I am somewhat hardcore, but it could be done in 22 days.

The point is this, both were intrigued of the thought by watching the film, and it let me connect with them in a special way. After such convos, I always send them a link to this forum, so they can get a real taste of the experience.

I live in Albuquerque, NM. It's really not a bad town, but people come from All Over The World to seek out the shoddiest, sketchiest parts of Albuquerque where Breaking Bad was filmed. Not really related to this thread, but made me think of it.
I'm now sorry I didn't read this thread before I departed for the US last month. My highlights from Albuquerque were two nice walks along the Paseo del Bosque Trail and the obligatory shopping trip with my wife!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The restaurant in Burgos where Tom's pack was stolen is called Gordero Gohginillo: Horno de Lena. Just near the Tourist Info center at the Cathedral. Put your back to the side of the Cathedral and face the TI. And here are two photos of the outside. Just across from the sign is a restaurant that serves FRIED EGGS in the morning. I ate there three times!View attachment 20689 View attachment 20688
Hola, I stuck my head in through the door of this cafe/ restaurant and as far as I could tell it was exactly as it was in the movie. There wasn't a single thing to indicate that it had been a scene in the movie. So maybe some people just want to remain as they were! Cheers

I'm now sorry I didn't read this thread before I departed for the US last month. My highlights from Albuquerque were two nice walks along the Paseo del Bosque Trail and the obligatory shopping trip with my wife!

Those visiting Albuquerque who are interested in early Spanish trails in the New World should take a walk on the acequias in our north valley. Some actually pre-date the Spanish arrival, having been built by indigenous Pueblo people to water their crops. The Spanish expanded them and built more. They are now shaded by huge cottonwood trees and still carry water for small farms and residences along the ditches. You can be walking on the acequia less than a quarter mile from fast food restaurants and carwashes, yet it looks and feels like 300 years ago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is an old converted mill, El Molino do Camino, in Vilviestre do Muno and is a special spot with very good food.
I can vouch for El Molino, one of our best nights on our Camino, the food was to die for and the room was excellent. I must admit tho, when they came and picked us up on the Camino we were wondering where they were taking us. But we will be back in 2017.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back