A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

"The Way" - The story behind the film.

Peregrinopaul

Camino(s) past & future
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Sanabres (2018) Frances reverse(2018)
If you, like me, are very fond of The Way, you will be fascinated to read this memoir by Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez. It's basically their life story, interspersed with chapters about the making of the film, a process which obviously meant a great deal to both of them
. IMG_5775 2.jpg

IMG_5776 2.jpg

There is an interesting chapter about filming the backpack in the river scene.

Advertisment

RJM

Camino(s) past & future
A few times, but soon again I hope....
Don't lose sight of the fact that it is just a fictional movie.
Aren't all movies fictional? Even the ones based on actual events are just the writer's and director's interpretation of what happened.
Nonetheless, I enjoyed "The Way". I walked the Camino Frances before it came out, and sure I saw it wasn't a documentary about the Camino, but it was still enjoyable.

Advertisment

Terri B

Camino(s) past & future
1998 St Cuthberts Way
1999 West Highland Way
2016 Camino Frances SJPDP to Santiago
I've just bought it, looking forward to reading it.

Peregrinopaul

Camino(s) past & future
I've just bought it, looking forward to reading it.
i'm confident that you will, Terri. Martin Sheen has had an interesting life. I remember seeing him in his first role in Terrence Mallick's "Badlands" back in the '60's. Quite a debut, in a classic film.

Camino(s) past & future
StJPdP/Santigo 18/9-16/10/17
Santiago/Muxia/Finisterre 18/10-22/10/17
Hendayne/Santiago 21/4-29/5/
We viewed "the Way" before and our Camino. As we walked we debated which location was the "bridge scene", we recognised other locations, my daughter was on alert for gypsies in Burgos.....and we had our own "crazy Alburgue owner" too. It may be fictional but what an enjoyable movie. And when anyone asks us what the Camino is all about I point them to SBS on demand (only in Australia) then they get it..

Camino Chris

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
Although a fictional movie, I think I remember seeing an interview with Martin Sheen and son, stating that a variety of pilgrims were interviewed first to get some of their personal stories, which were then referred to when writing the movie script.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances Sept 2017 (bike)
Hi Deans, I read somewhere that the bridge scene was filmed some distance away from the Frances route because they couldn't find a stream that was flowing fast enough. I also noticed a lot of scenes in the movie seem to have been filmed walking in the opposite direction - must have been something to do with the light. BTW I did have my own "Tom moment" when I fell into a creek crossing about halfway to Zubiri on day 1! The movie is also on Netflix and Youtube.

Camino(s) past & future
StJPdP/Santigo 18/9-16/10/17
Santiago/Muxia/Finisterre 18/10-22/10/17
Hendayne/Santiago 21/4-29/5/
We thought Zubiri or Larasoanna might be where the bridge was, but now my question has been answered . We found the YouTube version had been blocked when we searched, and we aren't Netflix savvy yet.

Peregrinopaul

Camino(s) past & future
In the memoir, Martin gives a blow-by-blow account of the backpack-in-the-river scene There were multiple takes, the original one done by a stuntman, who ruined it by turning his face to the camera while in the water, then refused to do it again. Taylor, Martin's grandson, persuaded him to do it himself, twice!
As Jack says in the movie, "Pilgrims must suffer".

Saint Mike II

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean 2017.
If you click on the link to the earlier post about "The Way" locations you will see that the "bridge scene" was filmed some 15-20 km east of Pamplona (or there abouts). As for walking the wrong direction, in the DVD extra they discuss the amount of external lighting they used to film many evening scenes. So in many cases it was necessary to "walk backwards" (eg the departure scene from Torres del Rio). Other scenes - eg Toms arrival into Pamplona or the groups departure from O'Cebriero were they are walking back towards La Faba, these changes done for "artistic licence" and to produce a better shoot. Remember - its just a movie!! Cheers

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 85 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 142 26.3%
  • June