• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"The Way" - The story behind the film.

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
If you, like me, are very fond of The Way, you will be fascinated to read this memoir by Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez. It's basically their life story, interspersed with chapters about the making of the film, a process which obviously meant a great deal to both of them
.IMG_5775 2.jpg

IMG_5776 2.jpg

There is an interesting chapter about filming the backpack in the river scene.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Don't lose sight of the fact that it is just a fictional movie.
Aren't all movies fictional? Even the ones based on actual events are just the writer's and director's interpretation of what happened.
Nonetheless, I enjoyed "The Way". I walked the Camino Frances before it came out, and sure I saw it wasn't a documentary about the Camino, but it was still enjoyable.

I've just bought it, looking forward to reading it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've just bought it, looking forward to reading it.
i'm confident that you will, Terri. Martin Sheen has had an interesting life. I remember seeing him in his first role in Terrence Mallick's "Badlands" back in the '60's. Quite a debut, in a classic film.

We viewed "the Way" before and our Camino. As we walked we debated which location was the "bridge scene", we recognised other locations, my daughter was on alert for gypsies in Burgos.....and we had our own "crazy Alburgue owner" too. It may be fictional but what an enjoyable movie. And when anyone asks us what the Camino is all about I point them to SBS on demand (only in Australia) then they get it..

Although a fictional movie, I think I remember seeing an interview with Martin Sheen and son, stating that a variety of pilgrims were interviewed first to get some of their personal stories, which were then referred to when writing the movie script.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Deans, I read somewhere that the bridge scene was filmed some distance away from the Frances route because they couldn't find a stream that was flowing fast enough. I also noticed a lot of scenes in the movie seem to have been filmed walking in the opposite direction - must have been something to do with the light. BTW I did have my own "Tom moment" when I fell into a creek crossing about halfway to Zubiri on day 1! The movie is also on Netflix and Youtube.

We thought Zubiri or Larasoanna might be where the bridge was, but now my question has been answered . We found the YouTube version had been blocked when we searched, and we aren't Netflix savvy yet.

In the memoir, Martin gives a blow-by-blow account of the backpack-in-the-river scene There were multiple takes, the original one done by a stuntman, who ruined it by turning his face to the camera while in the water, then refused to do it again. Taylor, Martin's grandson, persuaded him to do it himself, twice!
As Jack says in the movie, "Pilgrims must suffer".

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you click on the link to the earlier post about "The Way" locations you will see that the "bridge scene" was filmed some 15-20 km east of Pamplona (or there abouts). As for walking the wrong direction, in the DVD extra they discuss the amount of external lighting they used to film many evening scenes. So in many cases it was necessary to "walk backwards" (eg the departure scene from Torres del Rio). Other scenes - eg Toms arrival into Pamplona or the groups departure from O'Cebriero were they are walking back towards La Faba, these changes done for "artistic licence" and to produce a better shoot. Remember - its just a movie!! Cheers

If you, like me, are very fond of The Way, you will be fascinated to read this memoir by Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez. It's basically their life story, interspersed with chapters about the making of the film, a process which obviously meant a great deal to both of them
.View attachment 38725

View attachment 38726
I liked the book very much, too :)

Hi Deans, I read somewhere that the bridge scene was filmed some distance away from the Frances route because they couldn't find a stream that was flowing fast enough. I also noticed a lot of scenes in the movie seem to have been filmed walking in the opposite direction - must have been something to do with the light. BTW I did have my own "Tom moment" when I fell into a creek crossing about halfway to Zubiri on day 1! The movie is also on Netflix and Youtube.
Correct. I also read the golf course in the film was not in California, it was the golf course at the struggling, half abandoned vacation home development in Ciruena.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Correct. I also read the golf course in the film was not in California, it was the golf course at the struggling, half abandoned vacation home development in Ciruena.
The only good thing about that place is that the golfclub bar sometimes is open for a beer... Other than that it is a somewhat spooky place...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've stopped at the golf course bar three times.
Once for lunch, once just for a drink, and once just to use the bathroom.
I walked past in April both times. Possibly there was not any activity going on that early in the season, but I'm not sure. Everything looked "dead" everywhere in that village.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like La Rioja Golf Course, I have several failed real estate development on my resume. As their architect, I experienced several crushing recessions and some badly conceived project based on lousy market studies. Most notably I was with the Sea Pines Company at Amelia Island in 1973, the year we opened for business was the year the gas crisis happened. It bankrupt the project and the entire company eventually. From what I have heard this is the same fate this golf course community suffered. There was an era of very easy money when Spain joined the EU and vacation real estate developments popped up everywhere. The problem is if the marketing studies say there a potentially 10,000 buyers of seaside and golf course weekend and vacation homes and everyone and his brother in the construction business decides this is their opportunity to hit it big, you suddenly have hundreds of thousands of units on the market.

BTW, I recently learned that Emilio Esteves has moved to my home town of Cincinnati. I was living there during 2018 and 2019 and wish I had know that. He filmed a movie in Cincinnati recently called "The Public" it has a very strong socially conscious statement.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Like La Rioja Golf Course, I have several failed real estate development on my resume. As their architect, I experienced several crushing recessions and some badly conceived project based on lousy market studies. Most notably I was with the Sea Pines Company at Amelia Island in 1973, the year we opened for business was the year the gas crisis happened. It bankrupt the project and the entire company eventually. From what I have heard this is the same fate this golf course community suffered. There was an era of very easy money when Spain joined the EU and vacation real estate developments popped up everywhere. The problem is if the marketing studies say there a potentially 10,000 buyers of seaside and golf course weekend and vacation homes and everyone and his brother in the construction business decides this is their opportunity to hit it big, you suddenly have hundreds of thousands of units on the market.

BTW, I recently learned that Emilio Esteves has moved to my home town of Cincinnati. I was living there during 2018 and 2019 and wish I had know that. He filmed a movie in Cincinnati recently called "The Public" it has a very strong socially conscious statement.
This interview is a couple of years old but it also discusses his filming of The Way and living in Ohio.

Very friendly waiting staff at the bar of the golfclub! To be repeated.
Cleanest bathrooms I found on any Camino btw.
Stopped there myself a couple of times. drank a cold beer, used the facilities and replenished my water bottles. Don't know if they have a sello or not, but a sello with a golfing theme to it would be very cool. :D

Where, where are you in the film? It's time for my annual viewing and I want to look for you. 👀 🎥 😁
:::maniacal laughter::::Before the movie came out, Joe and I got a copy and watched, hoping to see ourselves. But we didn't.
So we watched it again and didn't
So we watched it again, and went screen by screen in the parts where we had spent hours filming.
Finally, we saw Joe.
And I'm hidden behind him.
So there went my movie career.

By the way, they were supposed to pay us each €1 a day.
We never got that, but they DID give us a lovely lunch.

As to where we are, we are in the scene where they are walking up to the Cathedral doors.
We are also in the botafumerio scenes. But good luck!
The BEST shot I got was the photo of Martin Sheen and I after filming one day.
You can see it on the FAQ page of my website:
Martin Sheen and I

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
:::maniacal laughter::::Before the movie came out, Joe and I got a copy and watched, hoping to see ourselves. But we didn't.
So we watched it again, and went screen by screen in the parts where we had spent hours filming.
Finally, we saw Joe.

As to where we are, we are in the scene where they are walking up to the Cathedral doors.
Martin Sheen and I
Yay!!! What a great story, cherished memories. You betcha I’ll be looking for you. 🤣 Lights, camera, action…I love it. Beautiful photo of the two of you.

Finally, we saw Joe.

Martin Sheen and I
Great picture. A few years ago a friend ran into him at mass in Malibu, CA and said he was gracious and happy to take a picture with her. I’m a fan. Loved him in West Wing as well.

Great picture. A few years ago a friend ran into him at mass in Malibu, CA and said he was gracious and happy to take a picture with her. I’m a fan. Loved him in West Wing as well.
Yes, he was just a lovely person. He spent a LOT of time talking with locals, photos, etc. Really a nice guy. So was his son.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, he was just a lovely person. He spent a LOT of time talking with locals, photos, etc. Really a nice guy. So was his son.
I too had the pleasure of meeting him on set at Universal in 1992/93. I was working on Star Trek Deep Space Nine and he came on set just passing through. I turned around and he was right there. I said to him, "Hi, It's so nice to see you." He looked at me like, do I know you.? I must know you." We greeted one another and shook hands then chatted for a few minutes. Yes, a very nice man and since my mom was a huge fan, she was so excited when I told her I had made his acquaintance.
I don't have a picture of him and I together but here's a photo of me after a 16 hour day on the set. 🤣
FFAE9C1C-86C6-4CC5-8363-66EE8EEB8D1C.jpeg

There has been so many discussions on forum about this movie. Many positive, some not so.
In the end, IMHO,a movie is a story, often a story trying to pass on a lesson or just an entertainment. Is the movie an exact representation of the Camino? No.
Is it an entertaining view of the amino…yes.
My wife and I watched it first after she talked me into a hair brained scheme she had about walking across a country with a black pack, which I have been on record as saying that I have done that, and it is no fun … but a smar man humours a wife, and then he leans a lesson. The movie was fun to watch, but some things made more sense after we walked our Camino.
As an example….at the end, in hotel where they all have super rooms, but all end up in his room? Made zero sense to me…until after I had walked, and experienced the gathering of souls along the way, seemingly called together into a small space to share the day.
Just my take on it.

Finally, we saw Joe.

Martin Sheen and I
I fetched my DVD copy of the movie and looked for you. :D

€149,-
.View attachment 38725

View attachment 38726

I have just finished reading this book. It was a very in depth, personal account, by both men about their lives as children, teenage boys, men and then as fathers. If you are looking for a different biography I recommend it.

You are correct on all aspects. I have the DVD which has a number of additional features. In it Emilio explains that they had very little additional light equipment and had to use to natural light whenever possible. Also it was, for technical or esthetics better to film the pilgrims walking East rather than West. Cheers

I don't know where you got that idea, biarritzdon. It was here: Playing golf at Real Club De Golf La Herrería, Ctra Robledo de Chavela, s/n, 28200 San Lorenzo de El Escorial, Madrid, Spain.

We watched The way the other night, having walked from Sarria to Santiago at the end of March, expecting to spot a couple of places on the route, But no, the last couple of hundred Km were missed, apart from the shot from the Hill of Joy. They must have used a BIG telephoto lense too, because it took us a couple of minutes to spot the cathedral spires when we got there (we're both in oyr 60's).
8X camera zoom.

They could have least done a scene in the "Beer shrine".

And to make matters worse they ended up in Muxia. We went to Fisterra.

But we did enjoy the film.:D
:D

Attachments

• 20220319_122601.jpg
    20220319_122601.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 20220321_183146.jpg
    20220321_183146.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 20220321_185922.jpg
    20220321_185922.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 20220320_140048_LI.jpg
    20220320_140048_LI.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 30
  • 20220321_194510.jpg
    20220321_194510.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 34
Nice photos! I loved the film as it inspired me to walk the Frances and empowered me to think I could "do it"!
I didn't mind that it takes twists and turns occasionally from "the real thing", as it was very entertaining and touching to me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back