• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Weather in the Netherlands and Pelgrimspad

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I've looked at several websites with weather forcasts and charts, but I'd like to hear from some Dutch folk...

What are the best months to walk the Pelgrimspad and why, in your opinion?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
OK, Annie, here we go:
In the Netherlands we have an oceanic climate, that means the climate is inconstant, it is relatively cool in summer and mild in winter. Rain is never far away, wind is most of the time moderate to strong or stormy from western directions ( the North Sea is west of us). People like it or do not and that halve of the population goes on holidays to southern Europe.
On the other hand, this year we have not had much rain since March. We had one of the dryest springs ever.....and the most sunny spring ever....
If you do not look at the weather, my wife Erna and I love to walk in the spring-time because of the sang of the birds, the blooming trees and the flowers in the fields.
Summer is more equal, quite, no singing birds, sometimes hot, but July or August can be very rainy.
So, we say, walk from halve of May and June!

Jan Brilleman

Yep,
I agree with Jan.
The end of spring, the beginning of summer.
And as Jan already told: rain is never far away.
So take an umbrella, poncho, rain-coat...

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
hi Annie
the Dutch use the term 'na zomer' to describe late summer weather, usually pleasantly warm and sunny - a period of several days, sometimes a week if in luck - in Sept; there was one in 2006 when I was gearing and limbering up for my camino

happy trails
Peter

Debinq said:
the Dutch use the term 'nazomer' to describe late summer weather, usually pleasantly warm and sunny - a period of several days, sometimes a week if in luck
Peter

Indeed, it happens. But unpredictable.
May happen in september, october, or even november.
And rest of autumn is rainy, days are getting shorter, windy...
If you are planning to walk in Holland, take it from a dutch guy:
Late spring or the beginning of summer.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo
(Dutch guy with an Italian name)

I agree with late spring. The last years we have had extremely nice springs (warm, sunny and quite to extremely dry). Mostly even better weather than in summer. But the thing with Dutch weather is: you never know. It changes rapidly. It has a lot to do with luck.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back