• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The week after Easter.

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese "2015" missed one day. Portuguese "May 2016" ."2019" April/ May Portuguese Senda Litoral
I am planning to walk the coastal route from Porto starting 24th April. I was wondering if this will be still very busy as its the week after Easter?
Also another question, what is the cost of the ferry trip to Caminha and do you need to book it?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Also another question, what is the cost of the ferry trip to Caminha and do you need to book it?

Hi, the ferry from Caminha to A Guarda costs 1.50 euros and no booking required, nor possible. It sails every half hour at high tide.

Last edited:
Ferry from Caminha to A Guarda

Ferryboat Santa Rita de Cássia

Departs from Caminha at 09:30 every half hour until 19:00 (Portuguese time).

Returns from A Guarda at 10:45 every half hour until 20:15 (Spanish time).

BUT it does not run at low tide.

AND it does not run on Mondays.

The Portuguese weekly ferry schedule is updated here:
http://www.caminhaturismo.pt/ver.php?cod=0E0D
Click on: Informações

The Spanish weekly ferry schedule is updated here:
http://www.turismoaguarda.es/?lang=en
and scroll down to “Weekly ferry timetable”.

Portugal is one hour behind Spain. So the ferry from Caminha (Portugal) to A Guarda will be one hour earlier than that shown on the A Guarda (Spain) timetable.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@jsalt .Thanks for that very quick reply. Looks like I had better start saving hard!!!

Looks like I had better start saving hard!!!

Hi, you did read that right, didn't you :D?

1 euro 50 cents for the 10 minute ferry ride, not 150 euros :eek:;).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Everything will be RELATIVELY busier the week before and week following Easter, on 21 April. The most affected routes will be the Frances and the Portuguese. All other routes will be affected, but to a relatively lesser degree.

HOWEVER, the coastal route, being a derivative of the main / internal Porto - Santiago route only handles part of the total Porto - Santiago traffic. So, on balance, I think you will be just fine.

If in doubt, make advance reservations. Try www.booking.com and www.gronze.com (Spanish only)

Hope this helps.

Hi there, I also plan to do the camino portugues starting from Porto on the 24th, although I have not decided yet if I'll choose the coastal path. Tell me, I plan to arrive in Porto on the 24th and leave from santiago compostella airport on the 4th of May. This leaves me with 9 days of walking, is this time adequate to complete the camino?

Hi @janus , its a bit like how long is a piece of string? As background I completed the Portuguese in 2015 and 2016. First trip was a nightmare a group of four of us decided to attempt the central route in 9 days.
If you are fit and happy with longish days you can do it. I didn't like it as there was no time to enjoy the surroundings, chat with people at coffee stops etc. It was head down and walk.
On my return I booked my solo trip for 2017 and did it in 12 days. I started on the coast then walked into Rates after overnighting in Vila Do Conde. It was so much better meeting so many walkers and able to enjoy the experience.
This time I am walking with a friend aged 72 who is recovering from illness so we are only walking short days and on the coast route so mainly flat for him.
There is a very efficient and cheap metro system so you could hop on up to Povoa De Varzim and start there, that would save approx. 30k.
Whatever you decide the Portuguese is a great Caminho.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back