• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Whithorn Way South West Scotland BBC Radio 4 Broadcast

• Thread starter Deleted member 36903
  • Start date
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks so much! I can listen to this via the tv. If my memory is correct, this is the place of St Ninian, patron of my school. I always confused Galloway and Galilee when I was too young to know any better, and in fact I also had a perfect image of St Andrew pegged to a four sided cross somewhere down there as well... so let’s see where imagination and fact meet in this programme! ;)

Thanks so much! I can listen to this via the tv. If my memory is correct, this is the place of St Ninian, patron of my school. I always confused Galloway and Galilee when I was too young to know any better, and in fact I also had a perfect image of St Andrew pegged to a four sided cross somewhere down there as well... so let’s see where imagination and fact meet in this programme! ;)

It's on my to do list for the near future. I have visited the cave on the Solway shore which is adorned with makeshift crosses and the chapel at the village of the Isle of Whithorn (there is also a nearby town of Whithorn (very confusing). In addition to Galilee and Galloway there is also, nearer to you @kirkie, Galway. Ours is an area with strong connections to Ireland and people round here speak of Irish-Galloway names, expressions and customs.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For those members of the forum with a taste for cult horror films - and striking juxtapositions - Burrow Head at the Isle of Whithorn, yards from the St Ninians's Chapel - is where the final scene of The Wicker Man was filmed. Pagan alongside Christian as always!:p

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
'Ramblings' presented by Clare Balding will be broadcast on Thursday 4th October at 3pm on BBC Radio 4 and follows the Whithorn Way, a route in the South West of Scotland not far from me. For more information about this pilgrimage route go to whithornway.org
just in case anybody can access and would like to, I am replying so this hits the headlines! Once more, SEB, thanks for the notice. I will put on the tv right now and tune in to radio 4. then, an icepack for my gammy knee, and a g&t to help me through the pain... are you feeling sorry for me? don't! very temporary. Just fluid on the knee. RICE is the cure according to a locus gp yesterday. RestIceCompressionElevation. A lovely young man, as opposed to my usual very lovely lady doctor. He got a big tick of approval, and I told him in no uncertain terms, when he was waxing eloquent about the fact that there can be multiple possible reasons for any malfunction... as we are a whole unit (imagine capitals, as they are not allowed). Such a refreshing approach, instead of the caricature of the surgeon who never sees a person, only a limb.... obviously I am digressing. Now to get settle in to await the transmission. Have to complete making a pot of courgette and pepper soup first....

I kind of fell asleep... so, what next? Maybe somebody will walk the Whithorn way, or has already walked it, and will fill in the gaps! That's the trouble with sitting down with the feet up...
http://whithornway.org/route.html. I counted up the distances in my head, and it comes to 236.54km. The last part was a google effort, miles to kilometres. The coastline is stunning, a match for the Antrim Coast in the North of Ireland.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.