• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The world's shortest camino

Steven Baggs

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 - Another Portuguese with Variant Espiritual
Dear friends, I am a Church of England parish priest and veteran of a number of camino's and I am trying to set up a short camino between two of my little rural medieval Churches both dedicated to St James. I am hoping to launch this on St James' day this year, 25th July 2020. The walk is only 15kms but can easily be extended as it links to a number of public footpaths, all through the English countryside. I have a web site in draft form with more details if you are interested. Hopefully we can leave this set up as a permanent route if this is what people would like. Any feedback at this early stage would be appreciated.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love the idea Steven. Just a thought: if you work out some extended version of the route which takes the total distance over 25km then you might consider negotiating with the cathedral in Santiago to have your route formally recognised as the overseas part of a longer camino. People might then complete their Camino in Spain by walking the more traditional Camino Ingles path from A Coruna rather than Ferrol. Taking advantage of the special exemption to the 100km rule which underpins the idea of the 'Celtic Camino' and which our Irish friends are very actively promoting.

How absolutely delightful! I love this. Very best of luck on 25 July, and I hope it does become something long-term.

I love this! Living in Hereford, this is definitely something I would walk. The website is really nicely made and functions well. Any chance of the GPX file being downloadable in future?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love the idea Steven. Just a thought: if you work out some extended version of the route which takes the total distance over 25km then you might consider negotiating with the cathedral in Santiago to have your route formally recognised as the overseas part of a longer camino.

At Michael's Way in Cornwall is only 20Km and that has been recognised. It's a lovely walk too.

I love the idea Steven. Just a thought: if you work out some extended version of the route which takes the total distance over 25km then you might consider negotiating with the cathedral in Santiago to have your route formally recognised as the overseas part of a longer camino. People might then complete their Camino in Spain by walking the more traditional Camino Ingles path from A Coruna rather than Ferrol. Taking advantage of the special exemption to the 100km rule which underpins the idea of the 'Celtic Camino' and which our Irish friends are very actively promoting.
That sounds like an interesting idea, lets see how it goes, I'm sure it would be possible.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I love this! Living in Hereford, this is definitely something I would walk. The website is really nicely made and functions well. Any chance of the GPX file being downloadable in future?
My limited web design skills are preventing me from adding the GPX file at the moment but I hope to be able to work this out soon!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is little known, but centuries ago the snails had
their own camino. They only traveled to Santiago from
about 1 km out, but it still took them several months.
The tale is told of a group of snails that was set
upon by a group of turtle bandits. The turtles beat
the snails and stole their equipment.

The snails moved as quickly as they could to report
the assault to the Guardia Civil. When the policeman
asked the snails for a description of the bandits,
they replied, "We really cannot say. It all happened
so fast."

Lovely idea. I've marked the date on the calendar and we plan to be there!

I don't seem to be able to add the GPX file so am trying to do it here if anyone wants to try it.

Attachments

• Frome Valley Camino.gpx
    64.4 KB · Views: 25
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear friends, I am a Church of England parish priest and veteran of a number of camino's and I am trying to set up a short camino between two of my little rural medieval Churches both dedicated to St James. I am hoping to launch this on St James' day this year, 25th July 2020. The walk is only 15kms but can easily be extended as it links to a number of public footpaths, all through the English countryside. I have a web site in draft form with more details if you are interested. Hopefully we can leave this set up as a permanent route if this is what people would like. Any feedback at this early stage would be appreciated.
A friend of mine, who lives in Herefordshire sent me your information on Facebook. It sounds very interesting and my husband and I are hoping to join the pilgrimage in July.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We plan to the 102 mi of the Cotswold Way in June. Is this near where we will be walking?

We plan to the 102 mi of the Cotswold Way in June. Is this near where we will be walking?
We're not too far from the top end of the Cotswold Way walk, just the other side of the Malvern Hills (another place you may want to walk)

What a lovely idea!!!
I always thought that the shortest Camino I had ever heard of was the one taken by a young man I met on the first day out of Lourdes, on the way to SJPdP. On that first day, he wrecked his knees from over-enthusiasm and went home, loaded with lots of pain medication from the local farmacia. His Camino ended after day one, poor thing.
I like your idea much better.

On that first day, he wrecked his knees from over-enthusiasm and went home, loaded with lots of pain medication from the local farmacia. His Camino ended after day one, poor thing.
I met a young Italian man on the way down from the Grand Saint Bernard pass on the Via Francigena. The halfway point for me but his very first morning. He had a huge pack which he said weighed 17kg because he was trying to save money by carrying food and camping gear. We shared a room the next night in a church hostel and before going for a shower he took 2kg of dried rice and a huge cotton bathrobe out of his pack. The next morning - his third day - he gave up because of knee pain and went home by train.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Steven, love the idea! We are a small group of pilgrims on the Wirral and we are just finishing the N Wales Pilgrims Path as a group. Let me speak to the fellow pilgrims as we may just join you on this. Sounds amazing.

I met a young Italian man on the way down from the Grand Saint Bernard pass on the Via Francigena. The halfway point for me but his very first morning. He had a huge pack which he said weighed 17kg because he was trying to save money by carrying food and camping gear. We shared a room the next night in a church hostel and before going for a shower he took 2kg of dried rice and a huge cotton bathrobe out of his pack. The next morning - his third day - he gave up because of knee pain and went home by train.
*sigh*
If he had been a member (or at least reader) of "Caminodesantiago.me", perhaps he would have known better. He probably went home and told everyone how hard the Camino was.

Will it have a name? (Besides "the world's shortest camino".)
In the web address I have called it 'Camino Frome Valley' but it's early days yet. I have spoken to the Confraternity of St James and there is the possibility of extending it by 11kms to 26 which may then qualify for the first part of a Camino Inglaise. But for now I would just like to see how the walk goes on 25th July. So far I'm overwhelmed with the responses, keep them coming!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm fascinated by the place names on the map. Little Cowarne, Much Cowarne, and between them Stoke Lacy. Stoke Lacy really ought to be called Just Enough Cowarne.
Cowarne probably relates to 'cow barn' one village had 'much' and one just a 'little'. Stoke Lacy is where the Morgan family lived, the Parish Priests son built the first Morgan sports cars https://www.stokelacyheritage.co.uk/the-morgans

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Signed up.

I have just done the route between the churches via Google Earth and it is a very easy way. Though paths are mentioned, and most of the way is by very small roadways, I doubt that the paths provided would shave much distance. But I am no expert, of course. And any paths on this route may provide further significance.

Though I am not travelling this year, it is a very interesting offering.

I have just done the route between the churches via Google Earth and it is a very easy way. Though paths are mentioned, and most of the way is by very small roadways, I doubt that the paths provided would shave much distance.

i did walk the first part from Stanford Bishop to Bishops Frome this morning and despite the mud and wading through a bit of water it wasn't too bad even with a small Chihuahua in tow. There are quite a few stiles to climb over and gates to go through. I need to make a few minor adjustments to the gpx file but will do this when I have the whole thing worked out and i won't try the second half until the weather improves. As you say the route could be walked on the roads which are not busy and is what I do most of the year.

Last edited:
That's lovely. I hope to do this pilgrimage. I used to live in Presteigne, not fat from you.

Could you double check your information on public transport closer to the time. You say "Please check timetables prior to your journey. " but don't give details on how to check.

Is there a link?

I would love to do this if lock down is lifted enough for me to travel there.

We are still hoping to open our Churches in time for the walk on 25th July. Hopefully we will be able to give a more comprehensive picture of what we are able to provide in terms of access and refreshments in the next week or so.

Dear Friends, despite trying to remain optimistic to the end, unfortunately due to the current situation with Covid 19 some of our Parochial Church Council's have decided not to re-open their Churches at this time. After reviewing the current regulations from the Church of England it was felt that we do not have sufficient resources in terms of volunteers to fulfil all the cleaning and social distancing rules needed to open some of the Churches.

Disappointed as I am, I fully understand and support their decision, it's not been an easy one. Thank you to everybody on this site for all the messages of support and encouragement since I came up with this idea. We will get there in the end!

The walk itself is across public footpaths and all accesible but sadly most of the Churches will remain closed. In that sense it may feel more like a camino in Spain where in my experience almost every church I came to was locked! Sadly this of course means that there will be no pilgrim passports, stamps or refreshments available.

I will over the course of the next few months try and get the waymarkers put up and maybe we could try and launch the walk again properly next year.

Personally I am still holding out for a September Camino Madrid to Sahagun as long as I don't have to quarantine for 2 weeks when I get home! And then it's a 6 week Sabbatical in the spring on the Via de la Plata.

Blessings, and watch this space.

Steven

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will be in Newport, South Wales, on 25 July - I am soooooo tempted to join you!
Oh, I love this! My husband and I are planning on walking England next year. I'll definitely be following you.

Thank you for keeping us well informed Steven. I look forward to walking this when it is safe and appropriate. Yes it's disappointing but that's just how it is at the moment! I hope you manage to walk your Spanish Camino in September.
Best wishes.

Thanks for the update - and for suggesting the idea in the first place. It'll have been a bit of a learning curve but with a positive outcome for future years.

It's not just churches that are having difficulty opening in these post(?)-COVID times. A lot of business are struggling to get arrangements in place for opening in July too. Even the public transport (DRM) that would be needed to get some to the start is uncertain.

I've bookmarked this thread for the future.

Still hoping to come, if we're allowed out of Wales!

Personally I am still holding out for a September Camino Madrid to Sahagun as long as I don't have to quarantine for 2 weeks when I get home!

I hope you are able to walk the Camino Madrid in September. I was just starting to think which camino I would walk, if my government lets me out of my country this year, and it was the Camino Madrid, as I really liked it when I did it in 2016.

Dear Friends, despite trying to remain optimistic to the end, unfortunately due to the current situation with Covid 19 some of our Parochial Church Council's have decided not to re-open their Churches at this time. After reviewing the current regulations from the Church of England it was felt that we do not have sufficient resources in terms of volunteers to fulfil all the cleaning and social distancing rules needed to open some of the Churches.

Disappointed as I am, I fully understand and support their decision, it's not been an easy one. Thank you to everybody on this site for all the messages of support and encouragement since I came up with this idea. We will get there in the end!

The walk itself is across public footpaths and all accesible but sadly most of the Churches will remain closed. In that sense it may feel more like a camino in Spain where in my experience almost every church I came to was locked! Sadly this of course means that there will be no pilgrim passports, stamps or refreshments available.

I will over the course of the next few months try and get the waymarkers put up and maybe we could try and launch the walk again properly next year.

Personally I am still holding out for a September Camino Madrid to Sahagun as long as I don't have to quarantine for 2 weeks when I get home! And then it's a 6 week Sabbatical in the spring on the Via de la Plata.

Blessings, and watch this space.

Steven
Dear Steven

Thanks for letting us know. Disappointed, but completely understand. We were looking forward to meeting up with a mutual friend, Lucy, whom we met in Florence a few years ago. Hoping to walk the Ingles in September if conditions allow. We'll certainly book for next year if 'your' Camino goes ahead. Ultreia

I am a Catholic priest in the Diocese of Jackson in the Mississippi in the United States. Several years ago, I was the pastor of St James Catholic Church in Tupelo. (Tupelo is not a very big town, only about 35,000 people, but it is known in the United States for being the birthplace of Elvis Presley.) I have been on the Camino of St James in Spain five different times and several of my parishioners at the parish in Tupelo had been on the Camino as well. Someone came up with the idea of hiking along the Natchez Trace, which was close to our parish and a natural place to hike. So, on July 25, the feast of St James, we hiked about 7 miles from a starting point on the Natchez Trace to our parish. Those would could not walk attended a prayer service in the church. We had several prayer and water stations along the way. We had a great turnout each year. And the Bishop even joined us one year, which he loved. We ended the morning with a hearty breakfast together in the parish hall. It was a very festive occasion enjoyed by many and a great way to celebrate the tradition of the Camino with St James. 7 miles was short enough so that children and people of different fitness levels could join us.

I had planned to walk the Camino Frances this year, starting in Saint Jean on May 12th, so I would probably have been in Santiago, paying my respects to the Saint sometime around last week.
As a 'consolation prize', my daughter and I walked Steven's short camino on Sat June 22, so that I could at least walk to a church of St James, even if I could not go inside and pray.

It's a lovely walk through the Herefordshire countryside, which I can recommend.

My daughter thinks that anything under 15km is hardly worth travelling to, so we started in Bromyard and added a few miles and an extra hour or so to the route, but it was well worth it. The scenery is lovely, and the birdsong that morning was quite a performance.

After about an hour or so we arrived at the start of the Camino. It had been drizzling on and off for a short time, but got heavier when we got there so a bench under a large spreading yew tree was most welcome for our coffee stop. No cafe con leche, more's the pity.

The church of St James at Stamford Bishop was shut and unwelcoming, but the churchyard was interesting. There's a huge ancient yew tree which looks as though it is in its twilight years, a standing stone by the gate dating from pre Christian times, and a lamp post of the kind immortalised in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, but I could see no welcoming scallop shell on the outside.

The farm next to the church had some very unwelcoming signs on the stiles and gates, but they had obviously been there for a couple of months, so we hope that they remember to remove them before too long.

The sun came out, and there was more lovely scenery on the way to the next church at Bishops Frome. On the way we had an interesting experience - a herd of young cattle decided to try and rush us as we crossed a field, but came to an abrupt halt as soon as they got near us. Social distancing they were not! The path was well marked through several fields of wheat, which we appreciated. Later, we passed by a small vineyard - only a few vines but at least a reminder of Spain. A bit further on, the path went straight through a field of hops, a reminder that we were indeed in Herefordshire.

The church of St Mary the Virgin in Bishops Frome was unfortunately shut as it was lunch time when we arrived, but at least the porch gates were open. Another church to explore in more kindly times.

The route from Bishops Frome to Much Cowarne was partly on tarmac. Although it was only a minor road, and the surrounding countryside delightful, it was a reminder as to how special the previous section, entirely on footpaths, had been. The tarmac ended at Hope's Rough Farm, where we lost the path for a while due to a broken finger post. Thanks to GPS, we were soon on our way, where we encountered our first mud of the walk. Considering it had rained really hard only 2 days previously, we were amazed as to dry underfoot the path had been to this point. After navigating the muddy gate, we were faced with 2 fields of hay to walk through with no previously trodden path. A combination of thigh high vegetation to push through and very uneven ground below, made it quite an effort.

The church of St Mary the Virgin at Much Cowarne was shut, as expected. Set against a cloudy sky, it's short bulky tower made it look like a fortress.

Continued in next post....

Attachments

• Leaving Bromyard.jpg
    Leaving Bromyard.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Dramatic skies.jpg
    Dramatic skies.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Ancient yew tree.jpg
    Ancient yew tree.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 9
  • A well marked path.jpg
    A well marked path.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Lack of social distancing!.jpg
    Lack of social distancing!.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Walking through the hops.jpg
    Walking through the hops.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 9
  • A quiet lane.jpg
    A quiet lane.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 9
  • St Mary the Virgin Bishop's Frome.jpg
    St Mary the Virgin Bishop's Frome.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Mud at Hope's Rough Farm.jpg
    Mud at Hope's Rough Farm.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 8
  • St Mary at Much Cowarne .jpg
    St Mary at Much Cowarne .jpg
    303 KB · Views: 10
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Continued from above....

The remaining walk to Ocle Pychard was straightforward along tracks and lanes. Across the field, we saw a round building with a tiled roof, which brought back memories of Spain and the meseta, and we assumed that it was a dovecote.

When we arrived at the church of St James the Great in Ocle Pychard, we were really pleased to see a scallop shell on the noticeboard.

Both my daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our day's walking, but with three of the churches being totally shut, and the fourth only having only its porch gates open, it did not feel quite the pilgrimage that I had hoped. Hopefully, the pilgrimage can be walked on St James' Day 2021, and I'm sure that then, it will be a very enjoyable and meaningful walk in the spirit of the Camino.

Attachments

• Looking back at Much Cowarne church.jpg
    Looking back at Much Cowarne church.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 11
  • A dovecote? Echoes of Spain.jpg
    A dovecote? Echoes of Spain.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 11
  • The first shell.jpg
    The first shell.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 11
  • St James thr Great, Ocle Pychard.jpg
    St James thr Great, Ocle Pychard.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Here is your GPX as a map.

Hi Galloglaigh. I see that you have attached the GPS track as a post in a cycling website. Can you make it clear that the route is definitely NOT for cycling. Much of the way is on footpaths NOT bridleways, so cyclists should not be using them anyway, even if they were suitable for cycling, which many of them are not, and there are loads of styles. Thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Galloglaigh. I see that you have attached the GPS track as a post in a cycling website. Can you make it clear that the route is definitely NOT for cycling. Much of the way is on footpaths NOT bridleways, so cyclists should not be using them anyway, even if they were suitable for cycling, which many of them are not, and there are loads of styles. Thanks.

Done - though you'd be surprised where we mudlovers can get to on a MTB.

Well done Felice, you are officially the first pilgrim to complete the 'Camino Frome Valley', the world's shortest camino. If you want to PM me your address I will post you a fully stamped up credecial when I have them printed as a retrospective record of your achievement.

I have finally ordered the waymarkers which are in the style of traditional English marker discs that attach to all the public footpath signs. They look great with a yellow shell on a blue background.

Just a reminder that the launch event on St James' Day has been cancelled this year due to the pandemic and sadly the churches remain locked until such time as we can safely receive visitors again without having to sanitise averything. Up until now some of these churches had not been locked for years, just left open 24/7, it's all very sad but there's always next year.

Just a reminder that the launch event on St James' Day has been cancelled this year due to the pandemic and sadly the churches remain locked until such time as we can safely receive visitors again without having to sanitise averything. Up until now some of these churches had not been locked for years, just left open 24/7, it's all very sad but there's always next year.

Oops! Just noticed that I wrote that I hoped that the pilgrimage can be walked on St James' Day 2020!! Not helpful at all. I've changed it to 2021 now.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am still making slow progress with this. I did walk it with my wife on St James' day and even though I am biased I have to say it was one of the best days walking I have done for a long time, through fields of wheat and rye, wooded copses, hop fields and even a Christmas tree plantation. Anyway I just received my way markers and I have the local council's permission to attach them to their signposts, I just need to get all the landowners permissions now and they can go up and hopefully we can think about how we can get the walk going officially.

Attachments

• IMG_1891.jpg
    IMG_1891.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8

New launch date, The Feast Day of St James, Sunday 25th July 2021!​

After a year of waiting for Covid restrictions to lift we are now looking forward to welcoming visitors to our churches and to officially opening the Camino Frome Valley on the Feast of St James, 25th July. Visitors will be able to collect a 'credencial' at St James, Stanford Bishop and stamp it in each church along the way. Church services will be happening in Stanford Bishop 8.30am, Bishops Frome 10am and Much Cowarne 11.30am, feel free to walk in at any point during a service to stamp your credencial. Refreshments will be available at all of the churches on the day.

We hope to leave our churches open during daylight hours from this point onward, as they were before Covid restrictions forced us to lock them, so pilgrims can walk this route at any time after the official launch date.

we are now looking forward to welcoming visitors to our churches and to officially opening the Camino Frome Valley on the Feast of St James, 25th July.
Wonderful news, Steven.
These churches look very special.
After the extra year there will no doubt be many ready to get ouf there and walk! Any headway on making this a recognized pilgrimage for those who want to continue to Santiago on the Ingles from A Coruña?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wonderful news, Steven.
These churches look very special.
After the extra year there will no doubt be many ready to get ouf there and walk! Any headway on making this a recognized pilgrimage for those who want to continue to Santiago on the Ingles from A Coruña?
I am hopeful that we can add another St James Church to the route at a later stage that will give us the exact distance we would need to do this. At this point though I am just happy that we may have finally got somewhere with this!

There was a message for me about the GPX file that seems to have disappeared. Sorry not sure what happened to it, please try again.

Here is the updated GPX file.

Attachments

• CaminoFV.gpx
    73.7 KB · Views: 12
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just back from walking Hadrian's Wall, an interesting experience compared to a Camino, following an archaeological feature rather than heading for a destination and meeting people doing the walk in the opposite direction too.

Just a reminder that it looks like our little Camino will go ahead on 25th July. It will also be the first day that St James' Stanford Bishop has had a Mass in 18 months, this starts at 8.30am for early risers, there are also services in Bishops Frome at 10am and Much Cowarne 11.30am for those who wish to join. There is however no assumption that people will come for Church services so feel free to wander in and out of the Churches to get your stamps and some refreshments.

Looking forward to seeing some of you on the day, the walk of course will remain open indefinitely (we hope and pray!) so if you can't make it on the 25th feel free to come and explore the Camino Frome Valley another time.

I'm half a world away, but I wish you a wonderful St. James day, with many pilgrims coming to Froome Valley.

Just back from walking Hadrian's Wall, an interesting experience compared to a Camino, following an archaeological feature rather than heading for a destination and meeting people doing the walk in the opposite direction too.

Just a reminder that it looks like our little Camino will go ahead on 25th July. It will also be the first day that St James' Stanford Bishop has had a Mass in 18 months, this starts at 8.30am for early risers, there are also services in Bishops Frome at 10am and Much Cowarne 11.30am for those who wish to join. There is however no assumption that people will come for Church services so feel free to wander in and out of the Churches to get your stamps and some refreshments.

Looking forward to seeing some of you on the day, the walk of course will remain open indefinitely (we hope and pray!) so if you can't make it on the 25th feel free to come and explore the Camino Frome Valley another time.
I'm sorry I can't make it this year as my husband has a big birthday. Of course I'd consider it a great way to celebrate a birthday but he is a committed non-walker! I'm sure it will be a great success and I hope you truly enjoy this St James' Holy Day.

I am from the U.S. My husband and I really want to walk the Cotswold Way in England. We were advised by a tourism company there to delay our plans until '22. U.S. travelers must quarantine for 10 days after arriving. Where are you from and what restrictions did you face? Thank you.

My daughter is walking the Herefordshire Trail as a series of day walks, when she can visit and persuade me to help with the logistics. Today she walked from Bishops Frome, north to near Leominster. Along the way, she covered part of the Frome Camino route.

Steven, there's a problem with an unsafe bridge which is closed, just north of Bishops Frome. It has a closure notice, dated 24th June(?) for 3 weeks, but no sign of anything happening yet. It is about 1km north of Bishops From, after the third of the 3 ponds. There is no diversion, apart from road walking. There's a notice coming from the Stanford Bishop end, where the path leaves the road, but nothing on the other end. My daughter just ignored the closure and picked her way carefully over, but you might like to visit and warn people before they start.

I was hoping to walk this route on Sunday 25th July but there appears to be no public transport (bus) running on Sundays so it is not possible to get back and pick up car at the start point. I will save it for another day but Buen Camino to those walking on Sunday.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was hoping to walk this route on Sunday 25th July but there appears to be no public transport (bus) running on Sundays so it is not possible to get back and pick up car at the start point. I will save it for another day but Buen Camino to those walking on Sunday.
Miguel - only saw your post last evening, too late to say that we could help you! We took 2 cars, leaving one at each end of the route. Also, when I arrived at the church of St James in Ocle Pychard, I met the churchwarden who said that all the villagers were prepared to help ferrying pilgrims back to the start. If only we'd known....

Yesterday we walked the Frome Valley Camino, and it really felt like a pilgrimage.

My husband started at the beginning - the church of St James at Stanford Bishop, whilst I began at the end, at the church of St James the Great, Ocle Pychard. I'd walked the route last summer so it felt right to be walking back again.

The weather was lovely - there had been spots of rain when we left home to drive over, but it was dry by the time we started walking. A cool breeze was delightful, and the sun came and went so it never got too hot.

But the most special thing was finding all the churches open. Being able to kneel before the altar and pray was very meaningful.

At each church, I found the symbol of St James. Stanford Bishop has an altar frontal with scallops on it, and several kneelers feature shells as well. The holder for holy water, just inside the main door of the church in Bishops Frome, has a shell on it, whilst either side of the east window in Much Cowarne, the carved wooden saints are framed beneath scallop shells. And of course, St James himself is depicted in the stained glass window in Ocle Pychard.

Unfortunately, there did not seem to be too many pilgrims on the route but I still had quite a few good conversations with those I met at the churches and on the route.

Thank you, Steven, for organising this route, as well as for putting up the markers. They are a great help and a reminder of the Caminos that I have walked.

IMG_2050.jpegIMG_2046.jpegIMG_2041.jpegView attachment 105715

Attachments

• IMG_2037.jpeg
    IMG_2037.jpeg
    450.5 KB · Views: 4
Miguel - only saw your post last evening, too late to say that we could help you! We took 2 cars, leaving one at each end of the route. Also, when I arrived at the church of St James in Ocle Pychard, I met the churchwarden who said that all the villagers were prepared to help ferrying pilgrims back to the start. If only we'd known....
Oh thank you for replying. I was originally planning to meet someone and do the same thing in terms of leaving cars but temporary ill health put pay to that, hence the need to bus. I hope that you had a great day. I'll get there soon 😉

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.