• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The wrong shoes!

Sukydee

Time of past OR future Camino
First 100 miles Camino Frances (June 2016)
Second 100 miles (May 2017)
Six of us have just returned from an amazing two weeks walking our second 100-mile stretch of the Camino Frances. The weather was amazing, the scenery breathtaking, the company stimulating and the hospitality outstanding. When one of our party slipped on a wet floor and gashed his head everyone was incredibly kind and helpful. However, we had one issue that caused distress for my friend, Caroline. We were a little later leaving an albergue than most of the other guests one morning. Caroline could not find her shoes - the shoes that she had spent weeks selecting with insoles to support her misshapen feet (from previous surgery). There was no option but to take the very worn pair that were left on the shelf and then buy a new pair in the next city. Obviously, she had no time to wear the new ones in and she finished our walk in a great deal of pain as a result. We would like to believe that her lovely shoes were taken by mistake, so can I ask you to check your shoes / boots carefully before you leave and not let this happen to anyone else.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We would like to believe that her lovely shoes were taken by mistake, so can I ask you to check your shoes / boots carefully before you leave and not let this happen to anyone else.

Sorry to hear this, very harsh for your friend, shoes are so important....

I once met a lovely lady who eventually told me what she had done, completely unwittingly: she had taken someone else's shoes and only realised her mistake after many kilometres, the shoes were too big! She never found the other pilgrim whose shoes she had taken and was horrified at the thought of that person walking with shoes that were a bit too small :( Sad story.

I hope everyone heeds your advice, I know I try to be very careful each morning. (On my 1st camino I took my friend's sticks and she took mine and neither of us realised until the evening :rolleyes::oops:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One additional tip to avoid this from happening: Put the shoes on a spot on the shelf (if a shelf is provided) that is difficult to reach, exchange the laces that came with your shoes for more distinctive ones (glowing rainbow neon colors f.e.) and tie said laces of both shoes together with your own special knot. Hope that helps, Buen Camino, SY

One additional tip to avoid this from happening: Put the shoes on a spot on the shelf (if a shelf is provided) that is difficult to reach, exchange the laces that came with your shoes for more distinctive ones (glowing rainbow neon colors f.e.) and tie said laces of both shoes together with your own special knot. Hope that helps, Buen Camino, SY
Good advice, @SYates. I think most of the scenarios described by the OP are, in fact, cases of mistaken shoe identity, but the wearer of the wrong shoes doesn't realize it until they've gone too far to return and rectify the error.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think @Rebekah Scott wrote a very good (blog) post about this and what has happened to here - I just spend half an hour looking for it - to no avail. Perhaps somebody here knows how to find it? BC SY

Someone took my underpants off the line at Atapuerca yesterday evening :eek:.
I would like to think it was a mistake, but then would the person who took them really want to know they weren't really their own ! Or I suppose their need may have been very great.
Seriously though the loss of your friend's shoes is dreadful .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would like to think it was a mistake, but then would the person who took them really want to know they weren't really their own ! Or I suppose their need may have been very great.

Somewhere here on the forum is a post of mine where I outed myself as an 'accidental knicker thief' :confused: it can happen, in my case it was due to a combination of not being fully awake/not enough coffee/panic to forget something ...

BC SY

Some people remove their insoles from their shoes before putting them on the shelf in the evening.

We can only expect and hope that the loss of shoes results from a mistake. I believe that to be the case, however, I spent considerable time, in dim light, one morning looking for my shoes. Someone had taken them from the shelf and left them in another room, after trying them on I guess.

I remove my expensive orthotics and take them to my sleeping area now. I slip one end of a carabiner into one shoe's eyelet and then through an eyelet of the other shoe. Hard to take by mistake.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Six of us have just returned from an amazing two weeks walking our second 100-mile stretch of the Camino Frances. The weather was amazing, the scenery breathtaking, the company stimulating and the hospitality outstanding. When one of our party slipped on a wet floor and gashed his head everyone was incredibly kind and helpful. However, we had one issue that caused distress for my friend, Caroline. We were a little later leaving an albergue than most of the other guests one morning. Caroline could not find her shoes - the shoes that she had spent weeks selecting with insoles to support her misshapen feet (from previous surgery). There was no option but to take the very worn pair that were left on the shelf and then buy a new pair in the next city. Obviously, she had no time to wear the new ones in and she finished our walk in a great deal of pain as a result. We would like to believe that her lovely shoes were taken by mistake, so can I ask you to check your shoes / boots carefully before you leave and not let this happen to anyone else.
I get around this by replacing the original laces with some brightly coloured ones, like pink or bright green! No one can take them without standing out like a sore thumb,

If I need to put my boots by the door when checking in at an albergue, I always go back later and but them in a plastic bag and take them back to my room. I never, ever leave them out overnight.

Same with my poles, always have them collapsed and attached to my bag when checking in. I have an expensive carbon fibre set, so no way I leave them in a bucket by the door.

So I avoid any chance of either poles or boots either accidentally or intentionally taken.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Could be a coincidence but the ad under the OP was this:Shoes.JPG

At least the person took your clean skivvies.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back