• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Theft in Leon and Logrono

Trude

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francais 2013 Finnestere, Muxia 2013, 2017
Norte 2014, Francais, 2015, 2016, VDLP 2017
Quite a few reports about thieves stealing in Leon Albergue and Logrono be very careful they are posing as pilgrims taking phones, wallets, cash and even passports. Keep your valuables in the bottom of your sleeping bag by your feet whilst sleeping.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So sorry to hear that. A timely reminder to never leave your valuables unattended - keep them in a small crossover bag or waist/bumbag during the day so they are always on your body under the pack, and take them into the shower as well. Spread your cash and take a photo or copy of your passport and keep it safe either electronically or as a printout somewhere else than your actual passport. Take nothing you can't stand to lose or easily replace.

Seems a funny time of year for the predators to be afoot. Not a lot of prey on the Frances in the winter and harder to hide in the herd. I guess they're hungry and willing to invest in a credencial and a "donativo" against the odds of scoring out.

All the advice on keeping your valuables with you applies whether warnings have been posted or not.

I assume these are in the municipal albergue or is this in general

I would advise keeping your valuables in your pillow under your head.

I recommend 'in the bottom of your sleeping bag.' I was in a room in an albergue in France several years ago with a young couple; and in the early morning hours, a thief took the woman's valuables that she had placed under her pillow.

Last edited:
In winter and spring, I have kept my valuables in my sleeping bag (usually at the bottom of the bag). My wallet, passport, cell phone and credential aren’t too lumpy and are certainly ready for fresh air and cafe con leche in the morning.

I would advise keeping your valuables in your pillow under your head.

I recommend 'in the bottom of your sleeping bag.' I was in a room in an albergue in France several years ago with a young couple; and in the early morning hours, a thief took the woman's valuables that she had placed under her pillow.
In your pillow, not under it. I met someone who had all her valuables taken from the bottom of her sleeping bag, the thief slit the bag with a razor blade, she didnt feel a thing. I used to roll my pants up with my valuables in it and place it IN the pillow case under my head, anyone who managed to get those out without waking me would be doing well.

I'm just curious if these are recent reports or not.
Not too long ago, I think this year (2019) or late last year, a hospitalera of an albergue on the Camino Frances, possibly in Castilla y Leon, made a video clip in Spanish, describing recent robberies and thieves in her albergue and in an albergue in Leon, warning of them and asking to spread the message. At least that's how I remember it. I saw the clip in one of the FB camino groups that I follow. FB being what it is, it is next to impossible for me to search for and retrieve the video clip.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's been a while since I have stayed in albergues only, but this May I will be again. I used to tie my crossbody bag to the bunk bed and put a fiddly twisting metal tie on the zips to at least slow potential thieves down. I have since changed my bag so this year I was thinking about bringing a money belt to keep just my money, cards, passport and phone in at night. I won't wear it during the day - too sweaty - but in the night it would come with me to the bathroom etc and never be out of my sight. That might be an idea? The money belt itself weighs very little compared to the added peace of mind.

I keep all my valuables in a money belt. When I arrive at the albergue it goes in my pocket when I go to the shower. It stays with me at all times in the evening. At night I place it, as others have suggested at the bottom of my sleep sack. You never know what may happen if it is under your pillow. Unless a feather can wake you up a good thief can easily get it from under your pillow. I also look around before I place my belt in my sleep sack. I do not want anyone to see if it is possible. Often I place it there after I get in bed and push it down to the bottom. Can't be too careful.

In reference to the reports of thieves cutting or zipping open foot-box ends of sleeping bags, how would they know the valuables were there in the first place? You open up mine in an albergue and all you get is ten tired, perhaps a couple blistered, digits. May even have some vaseline slathered on them before I went to sleep.
I remember an albergue I stayed in, very full (100%), in which several pilgrims had valuables and money stolen directly from their backpacks either during the night, or while out and about during the day (backpack unattended in albergue). I would think that would probably be a more standard method of theft.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In reference to the reports of thieves cutting or zipping open foot-box ends of sleeping bags, how would they know the valuables were there in the first place?
Because storing valuables there is as old as hostels themselves, I advise people on a regular basis not to do this because it is common practice. The girl I mentioned above lost her stuff this way on a sleeper train as did many other backpackers the same night, the thieves knew where to look.

I am
Quite a few reports about thieves stealing in Leon Albergue and Logrono be very careful they are posing as pilgrims taking phones, wallets, cash and even passports. Keep your valuables in the bottom of your sleeping bag by your feet whilst sleeping.
I am few days out from Leon right now. Can you specify which albergues these thefts are occurring in? I am curious if they are targeting the private ones or the municipal or donativo ones.

I am

I am few days out from Leon right now. Can you specify which albergues these thefts are occurring in? I am curious if they are targeting the private ones or the municipal or donativo ones.
I would say it would be unfair to point out specific albergues as these reports on here are hearsay. Unsubstantiated. Perhaps even rumours. Not fair to the albergues. I would only identify a specific albergue if there was a police theft report to go with it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have used various PacSafe travel bags and locks for a few years now. I like the product. You can lock your bag/hip pack to a frame, locking features makes it difficult for pickpockets and they are slash-proof.

@Lisakline, @RJM is right, and on many levels. Albergue thefts occur where they occur. Different places, different nights, different thieves. The one constant is people living in some strange headspace where they think its ok to leave stuff where it can be taken and are surprised when it is.

You can trace threads on this forum back to its very beginnings where the advice is the same as it is today - keep your valuables with you, on your person, in your sight. Just like you would in your home town bus-station, night-club, or pub. Take care of your stuff in the company of strangers. "በአምላካችሁ ታመኑ ነገር ግን ግመልዎን አጣብቅ - Trust in God, but tether your Camel".

Buen Camino and may your possessions stay yours ;)

Ask not what you can do to avoid thieves or pickpockets, but what you can do to keep your valuables safe ... If there are thieves in one albergue one night, they almost certainly won't be there again the next night, so you can never tell where they would be or who they are.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Because storing valuables there is as old as hostels themselves, I advise people on a regular basis not to do this because it is common practice. The girl I mentioned above lost her stuff this way on a sleeper train as did many other backpackers the same night, the thieves knew where to look.

Exactly, I keep valuables on my person. Thank god I'm a light sleeper...your going to have to be able to pry yourself from my kung fu grip if I catch you.

Good point, tha
I would say it would be unfair to point out specific albergues as these reports on here are hearsay. Unsubstantiated. Perhaps even rumours. Not fair to the albergues. I would only identify a specific albergue if there was a police theft report to go with it.
Good point, thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This was reported to the Police and definitely true.
I point out specific Albergues to warn others.
As they target the big Albergues.
Good point, tha
[/QUOT

I am

Albergue De Peregrinos Plaza Santa Maria. It’s a good Albergue just be careful with your valuables.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Must be the time of year. We've just had our house in Spain broken into. They stripped the house bare of anything they could sell!

Moderator Note: In accordance with the Forum rules.....A reference in this post to a specific ethnic group has been edited.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Lisakline, @RJM is right, and on many levels. Albergue thefts occur where they occur. Different places, different nights, different thieves. The one constant is people living in some strange headspace where they think its ok to leave stuff where it can be taken and are surprised when it is.

You can trace threads on this forum back to its very beginnings where the advice is the same as it is today - keep your valuables with you, on your person, in your sight. Just like you would in your home town bus-station, night-club, or pub. Take care of your stuff in the company of strangers. "በአምላካችሁ ታመኑ ነገር ግን ግመልዎን አጣብቅ - Trust in God, but tether your Camel".

Buen Camino and may your possessions stay yours ;)
Thanks, you are right!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In 2015 on the CF I met an Australian girl walking barefooted. Her shoes were stolen at an albergue.
Yes, shoes/boots do occasionally get pinched at the albergues. Sure, sometimes the wrong shoes are taken by mistake, but if you get to the footwear rack and it is empty, logic would dictate it was a theft.
I always remove my insoles from my shoes before putting them on the rack and store them in an outside pocket of the backpack. I feel that may deter theft to some degree, and my insoles are aftermarket. I also tie my shoes together with the laces. A deterrent to mistaken identity. Quite often you do see several of the same make and model and color on the footwear rack. A tied together set of shoes with no insoles would be a clue they belong to someone else.

Last edited:
This was reported to the Police and definitely true.
I point out specific Albergues to warn others.
As they target the big Albergues.
You have copies of the police reports available to post?

In 2015 on the CF I met an Australian girl walking barefooted. Her shoes were stolen at an albergue.
I tried only one boot on the albergues hallway heater and kept the other one closed to me. And then switched. I realy wanted to keep my boots. 😻 My valuables always on my body in the shower I had it with me and I am a very light sleeper. I had a little money pouch got the day needs and the rest on my body so not to flash cash. I guess I was not worth the trouble. On the Portuguese had no problems. It’s like in any places where a lot of people are. There are always “ entrepreneurs “ . Be mindful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm just curious if these are recent reports or not.
Sadly, no. When we were riding the Camino Frances back in 2013 I recall seeing a note in the women's dorm of the albergue in Leon we were staying at which said "To the thief who stole our money. You stole from students who have nothing. We hope you are proud of yourselves".

Not only did the thought that someone had been robbed sit heavily on the heart, it also meant that there was a certain atmosphere of suspicion floating around as nobody felt they could trust anybody else any more.

I would second the statement above to put your valuables at the bottom of your sleeping sheet or bag when you go to sleep. We always carry our valuables in a small hold-all that we keep around our necks, hidden behind our tops. A case of "out of sight, out of mind". It's not that we don't trust anybody, but we know that some people are desperate enough to take what they can if they can, specially if the opportunity presents itself.

Just starting to read some of the Codex Calixtinus there is note about dangers. Very interesting reading. I guess human nature has not changed since 800 years, but we do no more punish I hope at least in Spain thievery so severely as maybe in the 11 century.

Just starting to read some of the Codex Calixtinus there is note about dangers. Very interesting reading. I guess human nature has not changed since 800 years, but we do no more punish I hope at least in Spain thievery so severely as maybe in the 11 century.

The Codex itself was stolen from the Cathedral Archive during the recent past!! Read more about this incredible heist and eventual recovery hidden in a plastic bag in this earlier forum thread.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, during the day, my valuables are with me, all time.
By nights, my sleeping bag has an internal pocket, cleverly hidden. You can´t even see it at first sight. As I
walk in Autumn or Spring (so, it is quite cold by nights) I am always in my sleeping bag.
Just to make up for so many thief stories...I once went to shower, obviously with my belt bag, then left for a restaurant, and when I had decided one was good, checked automatically my wallet...and discovered it was not in my usual pocket. I realized I had forgotten it in the shower (it was my first Camino, so my routines were not so well established). I ran back to the albergue fearing the worst, but there it was, exactly where I had hung it fifteen minutes before...But obviously, I recommend not to try this...

Last edited:
Thanks for this post, I'm looking to fly to Leon early next week, thanks for the heads up.

When calling at refugios to offer first aid sometimes the hospitelaros tell me I can go into the dorms and ask - but I won't do this if I am alone - I know who I am but no one else knows who I am .. and were something to disappear the same day I was there! Crikey! So I always ask to be accompanied.

As for all the fab secret ways of hiding and protecting valuables I have read above .... coo ... don't we just hope that the thieves don't join this forum!! - so much info!! :eek:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So sorry to hear that. A timely reminder to never leave your valuables unattended - keep them in a small crossover bag or waist/bumbag during the day so they are always on your body under the pack, and take them into the shower as well. Spread your cash and take a photo or copy of your passport and keep it safe either electronically or as a printout somewhere else than your actual passport. Take nothing you can't stand to lose or easily replace.
This is wise advice! As a youth sleeping in the cheapest places (43 years ago! Ouch!!!!), I would tuck it all in my underwear and sleep on my stomach. Sorry if that is a bit too much info....but, it was effective

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Were the valuable/backpack unattended tra
Were the valuable/backpack left unattended on the sleeper train?

I aim to think positive, pray for the thieves to find their honest way, get what they deserve. My journey is to be mindful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since 2013 I have spent about 90 days on various caminos (CF, Norte, Primitivo). I have never experienced any direct theft or even heard of it from people I was around. However, what I did find was worse in a way. It was the standard routine of "I have been robbed" and need money to get home. I have come across this 3 times. The genius of it is that the perpetrator works from west to east coming across new gullible fools (like me) every day who hand over euros in the spirit of the camino. Only later in the albergue do you find that everyone else has been scammed and between us we have handed over hundreds of euros.
The worst case was of a couple who made a great fuss of being robbed during the night and used this as a tool to extract money from sympathetic pilgrims the next morning. What made it worse was that we had all had a great meal, with wine and music the night before (about 70 of us). Everyone ended up feeling bad but on reflection it was a scam because the day before the couple revealed they were actually penniless to a camino friend.
I don't know what the answer is. These events are very rare and keep it in perspective. My advice is don't take valuable stuff that you can't afford to lose and keep a separate back up wallet (cash and card) deep in the ruck sack hidden somewhere. Keep the other wallet on you.
I haven't mentioned the nationalities of the criminals because, to be honest, they are the last nationalities I would have suspected.
I feel bad writing this because these isolated incidents are far outweighed by the trust, kindness and generosity that is the norm.
Simon.

Every night, I slept with my fanny pack hooked around my waist. Always went into the shower with me, and one time when there was no hook, I turned the water low, heldbit in one hand and washed with the other, then switched. It was worth the effort.🤷‍♀️

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I like to focus on my deeds or sometimes my lack of such. Only my actions I can control.

Prior of my walk I read about cons, thievery, professional pilgrim scams.

So why would the Camino be different than any other midsized community?

A con only works, because it’s catches on something basically decent in you or the appearance you would like to give.

So why the long face, when you actually found out something good about yourself?
What has more worth say decent or stupid.
Ok I am stupid all the time 🤫

Yes I may feel taken advantage off. The Camino is not a holy place (There is a shocker) people can be. But where would all the fun be?

For me there is no surprise when they are not, when I am not - saintly I mean.
For everything l lost or was taken from me, I always gain something.

It’s my choice what I gain.
People only learn with experience. So did you so do I. I know how quaint how pedestrian......
What’s the song? I don’t care to much my money.... well I must be loved in deed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked for a while with an American lady who came into the room one day in a terrible tizz. Someone had stolen her money from the shower! I calmed her and told her I'd look for it. Went back down to the showers just as a lady walked out from one of the cubicles. She asked me if I was with an American lady, then handed me my friend's bag which my friend had left in a different cubicle to the one she thought she'd been in.... :)

For everything l lost or was taken from me, I always gain something.
That may be your philosophy and if it works for you then more power to you. But if I want the warm glow that comes from a recognition of the goodness in me, I’ll give time or money to a charity that uses it well.

That may be your philosophy and if it works for you then more power to you. But if I want the warm glow that comes from a recognition of the goodness in me, I’ll give time or money to a charity that uses it well.
Something irked you. I am not quite sure what, but that is for you to decide.
Am clueless about glowing, but I was not talking about charity.
I was talking about what one can make with an adverse experience. And yes I try to look what good comes from this. I choose this. It’s called resilience.
Do I think that cons and thievery are ok, no. But will I let it dictate my actions?
I simply refuse to add to the choir of how dare they and so on and so of.

I recommend taking a picture of your passport, all your credit cards, front and back. I also carry a paper back up buried in my backpack in case my phone and wallet are lost or stolen. Always. Always listen to your gut instinct. Usually, its right.

I recommend taking a picture of your passport, all your credit cards, front and back. I also carry a paper back up buried in my backpack in case my phone and wallet are lost or stolen. Always. Always listen to your gut instinct. Usually, its right.
I done that as well only marked the security pin black. I had then all scanned in in a secured email account. Should I loose them all. Plus I knew where my nearest Consulat were. What their opening times were. Had their numbers as well laminated with my emergency numbers. Had some Emergency money hidden on me. So I could pay for the services I needed in case my papers and my cards were gone. Then I laminated them. And put them in the back of my back pack to have them as a back up. I took care of my copies like the originals. Did not need them. Spent my Emercency money at home.

This is wonderful! Let’s tell everyone where we secure our valuables at!

I tell no one where I secure passport, money, phone , etc.

Thanks for telling me where I can find your items!

At feet of sleeping bag? Razor will make quick cut into the bag and you will not know it till wake up call.

Not to hard to figure out Marty. Your items can really only be in 3 places. On you, your backpack or sleeping bag. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out but thank you for the sarcasm:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When I was younger, before cellphones, I used to keep a separate paper copy of my ID in case my passport was stolen. Then the bag with the paper copies was stolen and someone used them (or the information on them) to try and apply for a passport in my name. They weren't successful, but for decades now it takes me longer to get a new passport than anyone else I know.

Not to hard to figure out Marty. Your items can really only be in 3 places. On you, your backpack or sleeping bag. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out but thank you for the sarcasm:)

Good fix would be to super glue your stuff to your body.
Mmmm but would be little odd walking next day with the phone glued to your hand.

Serious side, such a shame people have to be concerned with those who steal and rob.

Blessings for all.
Happy walking.
Enjoy

An interesting thing I saw play out in Leon once.
Middle of the day. Nothing really open serving meals, closed until 7 pm I think. Unfortunately I to resort to a chain fast food venue for sustenance. Got my meal on a plastic tray and sat down on the plastic chair at the plastic table right next to three Asian pilgrims I had been seeing regularly on the Camino. We chatted a bit and went to eating our fast food. The place had big glass windows as those places do. I saw an obvious local male ride up on a bicycle, walk in the resto, order nothing, look around and then keyed in on the Asian pilgrims and walked up to them and started chatting with them. I do not know exactly what the exact conversation was, but at one point the pilgrims pulled out their phones and were showing them to him, and he proceeded to sit down with them. It looked odd and bothered me. I then asked one of the pilgrims if they knew the guy and they all said no. I told them they should not be speaking with him and he meant them no good. At which point the guy gave me a nasty glare, got up and left. I asked the pilgrims if they still had their wallets and they did and I told them the man was more than likely a thief and was trying to get in close to them to steal wallets or phones. They seemed rather shocked, but thanked me.
A couple of days later I saw the pilgrims on the Camino and they said hello to me and made sure they let me know they still had their wallets. :D

Anti thef pants are sold (for one) by a NY company.

You may see their ads on the web. The web page looks nice. So do the pants and shorts.

A friend of mine just had to have the pants.

They are horrible. Hard to use.
Few washes started to bunch up.

Don’t waste you money!

And no fun to walk in!

I don’t understand people who, at night, put their valuables under their pillow, or at the foot of their sleeping bag. Do these folk never ever have to visit the facilities during the night? What would they do with their valuables for the duration?

€83,-
I don’t understand people who, at night, put their valuables under their pillow, or at the foot of their sleeping bag. Do these folk never ever have to visit the facilities during the night? What would they do with their valuables for the duration?
Security conscious people will take their valuables with them to the bathroom. I'm sure that many people aren't that disciplined.

I walked for a while with an American lady who came into the room one day in a terrible tizz. Someone had stolen her money from the shower! I calmed her and told her I'd look for it. Went back down to the showers just as a lady walked out from one of the cubicles. She asked me if I was with an American lady, then handed me my friend's bag which my friend had left in a different cubicle to the one she thought she'd been in.... :)
Love the way you write. Interesting vignettes which you capture and describe so well.

I've developed several safety methods which are very effective, but, of course, I can't share them here in an open forum. However, if ever we meet on the Camino one day I'll happily share them with you. One trick that I can share which I read about somewhere, which is quite clever, is to hang little bells in several places on your backpack at night. The noise of the bells is bound to wake you, or someone. At the very least, the noise will deter the thief.
1594792661253.png

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Old thread I know, but some valuable tips along the way.

Whenever I travel and in particular places known for theft and pickpockets I carry a "dummy" wallet. Typically I use a souvenir wallet from the dollar store. I fill it with a few dollars of the local currency, a few old business cards (not mine!), old picture ids (again not mine) and expired credit cards. Pickpockets, thieves and armed robbers want something from you, and the safest course is give them what they want or can easily pickpocket. They take the dummy and move on... no need to search further, or take more action or potential violence from a knife wielding thief. Same with valuables in the backpack or camino bunk. Once they've found what they are looking for they move on to other easy pickings.

My real wallet and passports are usually stored in a tucked money belt or scarf (check out scarves with hidden zipper on internet).

m. Can't be too careful.

I disagree - being too careful comes close to paranoia...

I too was very wary when I started CF2017 and took pains to secrete wallet, passport, camera and iPad every night, but found that I relaxed no end by Burgos... I stopped behaving as if everyone I met was a thief just waiting to strip me of the essentials and stared to enjoy the company of others.

CF2018 and CP 2019 were similar - but even more relaxed ...

Yes - be alert, but I suggest no need to be alarmed in the absence of specific threats. Yes - I took a little more care in the larger (municipal) albergues, and rarely left anything in full view and put everything out of sight before I went to sleep at night,. Yes, I slept on my passport/wallet, and took both to the shower if my walking partner was not in the dormitory.

Yes - be alert, but I suggest no need to be alarmed in the absence of specific threats. Paranoia is not conductive to enjoying one's pilgrimage... I know, I know, neither is being relieved of one's passport or valuables, but as with many things in life, balance is essential!

Chances are the thieves WILL be caught! The Gaurda cross reference cases and a lot of paperwork is done by the Hospitaleros as well. That is why an ID is essential to stay in an albergue. Cases must be reported to assist the Gaurda.
Also , BEWARE the pilgrim that just walks over a weekend.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I disagree - being too careful comes close to paranoia...

I too was very wary when I started CF2017 and took pains to secrete wallet, passport, camera and iPad every night, but found that I relaxed no end by Burgos... I stopped behaving as if everyone I met was a thief just waiting to strip me of the essentials and stared to enjoy the company of others.

CF2018 and CP 2019 were similar - but even more relaxed ...

Yes - be alert, but I suggest no need to be alarmed in the absence of specific threats. Yes - I took a little more care in the larger (municipal) albergues, and rarely left anything in full view and put everything out of sight before I went to sleep at night,. Yes, I slept on my passport/wallet, and took both to the shower if my walking partner was not in the dormitory.

Yes - be alert, but I suggest no need to be alarmed in the absence of specific threats. Paranoia is not conductive to enjoying one's pilgrimage... I know, I know, neither is being relieved of one's passport or valuables, but as with many things in life, balance is essential!
Sorry if that expression gave you the impression that I think you need to be an alarmist or take extraordinary and paranoid measures. To me this expression just means to use your head and do the right thing for yourself. Just like when my mom yelled to me to wear a hat when I went out to play in the middle of winter. "wear your hat so you don't catch a cold. You can't be too careful. That's all.
The way I take care of my valuables on the camino is that I have a money belt that I keep my money, bank and credit card, passport and pilgrim credential. I keep it in the top of my pack when I walk in a zipped compartment. I carry it into restaurants. I have a clip in my pants pocket that I attach it to. Take it to the shower and sleep with it in my sleep sack or in winter caminos my sleeping bag. I do it as much to protect against misplacing it (as I have a tendency to misplace stuff) as I do to prevent theft. It may sound like alot but it is really easy and gives me piece of mind. Nothing could screw up a nice 6 or 7 week walk like losing your stuff. But like I said it is such a part of my routine it is the same to me as taking a shower or washing my clothes and hanging them up after I arrive in an albergue. The thought of being in a town with just a few euros in my pocket and nothing else feels alot worse, If this is too much then I am guilty as charged :)

I wonder some times if they check this forum?

samarkand/

Sorry if that expression gave you the impression that I think you need to be an alarmist or take extraordinary and paranoid measures. To me this expression just means to use your head and do the right thing for yourself. Just like when my mom yelled to me to wear a hat when I went out to play in the middle of winter. "wear your hat so you don't catch a cold. You can't be too careful. That's all.
The way I take care of my valuables on the camino is that I have a money belt that I keep my money, bank and credit card, passport and pilgrim credential. I keep it in the top of my pack when I walk in a zipped compartment. I carry it into restaurants. I have a clip in my pants pocket that I attach it to. Take it to the shower and sleep with it in my sleep sack or in winter caminos my sleeping bag. I do it as much to protect against misplacing it (as I have a tendency to misplace stuff) as I do to prevent theft. It may sound like alot but it is really easy and gives me piece of mind. Nothing could screw up a nice 6 or 7 week walk like losing your stuff. But like I said it is such a part of my routine it is the same to me as taking a shower or washing my clothes and hanging them up after I arrive in an albergue. The thought of being in a town with just a few euros in my pocket and nothing else feels alot worse, If this is too much then I am guilty as charged :)

If guilty as charged, then let off for good behavior... Clealry, security of your passport, etc. is not an obsession with you... I would pat my pocketds as I left an albegue in the morning, ensuring that, in order, my passport, my wallet/travel cards, my camera and my guidebook were where they should be, and that was the last I thought of them all day ...

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I keep most of my valuable in my front pockets during the day and sleep in shorts the same way at night.

If guilty as charged, then let off for good behavior... Clealry, security of your passport, etc. is not an obsession with you... I would pat my pocketds as I left an albegue in the morning, ensuring that, in order, my passport, my wallet/travel cards, my camera and my guidebook were where they should be, and that was the last I thought of them all day ...
You may be many things and I am sure lots of good things but guilty is not one of them. Postings and misunderstandings based on expressions like better safe then sorry and hundreds of other comments, leave the reader open to a wide variety of reactions. Sometimes it is easy to understand the meaning of what someone writes and other times what can be the most innocuous comment by one person has a much different or more intense meaning to another based on personal experience and language usage. It is really further compounded when we are a worldwide pilgrim family and levels of understanding and the ability to express oneself can exacerbate ones reaction when if we were sitting next to each other it may just need a simple clarification or even create a laugh. When you think about it, it's pretty complicated. Even English is so different from one English speaking country to another, let alone from one geographic region to another within the same country. My wife is Mexican and in the Spanish speaking world the same holds completely true. So no guilt required!!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.