• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Theft on Camino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Ylias

Michael & Darion
Time of past OR future Camino
Norte/Finisterre (2015)
Frances/Fin. (2016)
Norte/Primitivo/Fin. (2017)
Gabinnensis/Podiensis (2019)
My wife and I have recently completed our second Camino (Frances), and have had a wonderful experience (again). There were so many positives I do not know where to start to share. Unfortunately, there was one very disappointing incident whilst walking.
We had stopped at a bar. Whilst I went to the bathroom, my wife went to the counter to order and placed her wallet on the counter whilst looking at the menu. The female bar owner called out an order to another person which made my wife look around. Upon turning back, the wallet was gone. There was only one other person in the bar at the time who was nowhere near the counter. After we searched everywhere the bar owner tried to put the blame on another Pilgrim, even though there was no-one else nearby. She showed a distinct lack of concern.
Obviously, the bar owner had a greater need for the money (90 Euros) than us and was prepared to steal it. Fortunately there were no credit cards within. It seemed more than an opportunistic occurrence. It was calculated and brazen.
This was very upsetting and in total contrast to all the other experiences we had on the Camino Frances. We are still shocked when we recall it. I am writing this post to warn others to be extremely attentive to their wallets/purses when entering bars.

Edited by moderator to remove all references that would identify a specific place or person. Please be aware that we cannot allow defamatory statements to be made on the forum. The correct procedure if a crime is suspected is to report to the Guardia Civil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My wife and I have recently completed our second Camino (Frances), and have had a wonderful experience (again). There were so many positives I do not know where to start to share. Unfortunately, there was one very disappointing incident whilst walking.
We had stopped at a bar.
Edited by moderator to remove all references that would identify a specific place or person. Please be aware that we cannot allow defamatory statements to be made on the forum. The correct procedure if a crime is suspected is to report to the Guardia Civil.
Dear moderator - unfortunately a large number of us who have seen the original post (unedited) know the village and the establishment and anyone else can PM the OP and be advised of the establishment. But I do take your point - even when there is only one obvious culprit/perpetrator one should refrain from identifying the establishment, but I do think you can nominate the village or a short section of the camino. Cheers:(

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear moderator - unfortunately a large number of us who have seen the original post (unedited) know the village and the establishment and anyone else can PM the OP and be advised of the establishment.
@Saint Mike II. then I hope that you have given due consideration to the possibility that this sort of 'he says, she says' story, where one of the parties has no opportunity to respond, is little more than a warning to be careful about the security of one's personal possessions at all times. If the OP had indicated that the theft had been reported to the local police, the story might have more credence here, and the report gone to establish whether there was a wider pattern of thefts at a particular establishment.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
What would be the point?
The point is that there have been an increased amount of comments/posts about theft (on the various Caminos) and a like number of warnings to be on guard in the albergues. This theft (as originally reported) was not in an albergue but in a cafe and as there were (as originally reported) no other pilgrims around the finger of suspicion was pointed at the cafe proprietor. Again by indicating the village or a section of the Camino would give following pilgrims the chance of further protecting themselves in cafes and bars.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am sorry that this happened to the OP (original poster). Thank you for letting us know that this did happen to you (I agree that it is best not to share any names of towns and businesses). Since we now know, I will close the thread... since going more into details on this is not really necessary.

Greetings from a rainy Santiago,
Ivar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back