• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Theft overnight in an Albergue

Peter-H

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2023)
Cautionary note re robbery. I was in a sixteen bed dorm and all my money was stolen. My wallet had three hundred euros, one hundred Canadian dollars and fifty Australian dollars.
My wallet was secure (I thought). I believe someone saw me transfer the wallet to my walking shorts. The shorts, as well as shirt, socks, fleece etc were under my pack which was close to my face.
I believe the thief took the shorts, probably to the bathroom and cleaned out the wallet. The three different currencies were in different parts of the wallet, one being zipped up. The shorts were then returned with the wallet in place. I didn't realise I'd been robbed until just before I left. I asked if those still there had seen anything but predictability nobody did.
I am posting this thread with these details to illustrate how the opportunistic thief operates. My relatively good attention to security fell short sadly.
The loss won't break me, and as much as anything it's the violation the makes me angry. Sad that we have a low-life type like amongst us.
I won't let it define my Camino, however I thought I should share my experience as a note caution.
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cautionary note re robbery. I was in a sixteen bed dorm and all my money was stolen. My wallet had three hundred euros, one hundred Canadian dollars and fifty Australian dollars.
My wallet was secure (I thought). I believe someone saw me transfer the wallet to my walking shorts. The shorts, as well as shirt, socks, fleece etc were under my pack which was close to my face.
I believe the thief took the shorts, probably to the bathroom and cleaned out the wallet. The three different currencies were in different parts of the wallet, one being zipped up. The shorts were then returned with the wallet in place. I didn't realise I'd been robbed until just before I left. I asked if those still there had seen anything but predictability nobody did.
I am posting this thread with these details to illustrate how the opportunistic thief operates. My relatively good attention to security fell short sadly.
The loss won't break me, and as much as anything it's the violation the makes me angry. Sad that we have a low-life type like amongst us.
I won't let it define my Camino, however I thought I should share my experience as a note caution.
Buen Camino
Ohh.. I’m sorry… I understand you.. “it’s not the money per ce…” it’s losing FAITH in humanity 🫶🏻

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola @Peter-H Sorry to hear about your robbery. I have usually worked on the philosophy of not tempting those " less well off". I never change money from one facility to another in view of anyone else (yes I know its difficult in crowded dorms); my passport cash and travel cards sleep with me - usually at the bottom of my sleeping bag; lastly my passport and cash/cards are almost always with me if I am away from my backpack. I have a waterproof /zip lock bag for storage in shower etc. Cheers

My guess this is not a random, one off situation. The perp is either walking along the Camino with you looking for similar opportunities or a local who gained access to the albergue surreptitiously and has probably done and will continue to do this many time. He/she is a wise one to return your wallet to avoid suspicion.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh ****, Peter. I'm very sorry. Anyone would be angry, at least for a while.

There have from time been skilled rings of theives working the albergues on various routes, so reporting the theft is really important. The police busted one such ring last year (I think, but I'm not certain of the timing) - no doubt based on the pattern of reports.

And if you're walking and your gut tells you sonething's up with someone sharing a dorm room, either go someplace else for the night or just be extra careful.

Sorry this happened! It's rare but it does happen, sadly.

It is really important to report. If similar things happen and there are the same names on the albergue lists, police might get an idea.

In my experience, such people often walk backwards to avoid meeting the same pilgrims again and to stay below radar, so to speak.

I hope you can still continue your Camino without losing faith in humanity.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The concept of a backwards walking pilgrims never entered my mind. But then consider the itinerant "pilgrim" who is fully credentialed and randomly stopping at albergues where there is a large group staying overnight. I hate to think that is even possible.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Another cautionary note: Don't carry money in a place where you can't spend it. And carry only a little more than can get you to the next ATM. Finally, all but a day's worth in a place that would make the thief work very hard.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Buen Camino

Sorry to hear this Peter, what a bummer. Please please please report this incident to the police; you never know what may transpire from a simple report. Buen Camino

I'm so sorry this happened to you and I admire the stoicism of your response.

Please report this. It looks like the work of a professional thief, and as J Willhaus points out, the police have records of the passport details of everyone who stayed in the albergue. The thief is likely to have "form", and the police can probably identify them from their CRO details.

The police are very serious about maintaining the security of pilgrims, but they need our cooperation to be effective in this and in all other violations that occur.

Good luck and buen Camino

Buen Camino
I'm so sorry to hear this, Peter. Thanks for sharing to remind all of us to take special caution. Lastly, it is good to hear that you won't let it define your Camino! I hope the remainder of your Camino brings all kinds of goodness into your life!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buen Camino
Something is a little odd. No thief would take a second chance of getting caught by returning stolen items back.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I heard on the grapevine that three, yes THREE, pilgrims were robbed of their cash at the Municipal Albergue in Zubiri last week.....

I think the distinction that was made earlier between robbery and theft is an important one, robbery is a far more serious violation and in the context of a headline, has a different connotation. Of course, none of us would wish to be a victim of either, and I'm glad for the the OP that he's able to move on from it, for many of us it would indeed define our camino. A good reminder to all to keep our wits about us, it's easy to get complacent in an albergue environment..

Something is a little odd. No thief would take a second chance of getting caught by returning stolen items back.

With amateurs maybe not, but it does happen. Professional thieves often operate like this knowing someone initially checking to see their passport/keys/wallet or whatever are still there won't immediately discover they've been fleeced.. gives the thief more time to operate and to get away.

Last edited:
The loss won't break me, and as much as anything it's the violation the makes me angry.
That is deeper than the actual money loss. It will be hard for you to forget, but I hope you will be able to let it go. So sorry.

Hola @Peter-H Sorry to hear about your robbery. I have usually worked on the philosophy of not tempting those " less well off". I never change money from one facility to another in view of anyone else (yes I know its difficult in crowded dorms); my passport cash and travel cards sleep with me - usually at the bottom of my sleeping bag; lastly my passport and cash/cards are almost always with me if I am away from my backpack. I have a waterproof /zip lock bag for storage in shower etc. Cheers
I'm so sorry this happened to you and I admire the stoicism of your response.

Please report this. It looks like the work of a professional thief, and as J Willhaus points out, the police have records of the passport details of everyone who stayed in the albergue. The thief is likely to have "form", and the police can probably identify them from their CRO details.

The police are very serious about maintaining the security of pilgrims, but they need our cooperation to be effective in this and in all other violations that occur.

Good luck and buen Camino
Yes I also have had items stolen on past Camino's although no cash or credentials passport etc they are always kept on my discreet security waist wallet always feel let down to think of thieves travelling on the Camino but I believe in Karma what goes around comes around don't let these unfortunate occasions put you off doing Camino's keep the faith

Buen Camino
Sorry Peter this happened to you. It is good that you are not letting the event dictate the rest of your Camino. Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I heard on the grapevine that three, yes THREE, pilgrims were robbed of their cash at the Municipal Albergue in Zubiri last week.....
Make that four. I was in the Municipal Albergue in Zubiri. I didn't mention the Hostel or the town because I didn't want it to reflect badly on them. I don't see it as their fault.
I still believe it happened as I described. Regarding one response I read, I believe the shorts, with wallet, were returned because I would otherwise have discovered the theft as soon as I woke up.
I'd assumed the thief was in our dorm and had seen me transfer the wallet. It has just occurred to me that there may have been more than one thief, given that three others experienced the same theft.
I hadn't reported the theft because I leave early and I don't speak Spanish. I will however report the theft when I get to Los Arcos tomorrow.
Meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy a fantastic trip!
To my fellow travellers; Buen Camino.

Same night, Wednesday I believe...the first pilgrims arriving off the newly opened Napoleonic route ...
Same night. I was there Wednesday night; crossed the Pyrenees the day it opened on the 4th.
This tends to suggest it was organised to take advantage of the first wave of Pilgrims.
In one respect I am glad it has diminished the possibility of the thief being another Pilgrim. Clearly however, it seems the Hostel needs to ramp up security.
One question "tigermike', what is the grapevine on which you heard of the other three thief's? This would seem to be yet another example of the outstanding resource that is the Camino Forum.

Professional thieves often work in pairs or teams of three. The relaxed trusting nature of pilgrims makes it easy for them, and they are very plausible. New pilgrims should heed the good advice from old hands given above above ... Wear a waist wallet, keep your cash and cards and passport in it, never take it off except to shower and bring it into the cubicle. Also watch cameras, laptops, high-value mobile phones etc ... Even high-priced gear. Don't worry too much, but stay safe and take reasonable precautions.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bonne courage! So sorry you experienced this. I admire your stoic nature and may kindness of others surround the rest of your Camino as others have expressed. Take care. Take heart, and thank you for reporting.

Make that four. I was in the Municipal Albergue in Zubiri. I didn't mention the Hostel or the town because I didn't want it to reflect badly on them. I don't see it as their fault.

We were robbed in Zubiri also way back in 2016 and I know who the robbers were.

They were two young women, who I noticed took a very keen interest in everyone while resting on their beds. I thought it kind of odd at the time.
Next morning, they waited until the dorm was empty (everyone was downstairs having breakfast) and while one stood at the door, the other rifled through belongings. I returned to get my electric shaver and disturbed them and they pretended to be looking for something and then left hurridly. I thought it odd, at the time and my wife, shortly afterwards noticed some missing toiletries and clothing which she had placed on her bed.

Later that day, while having a cafe con leche, we saw them again at a cafe, and when they realised I was approaching them they were out the door and gone as fast as they could walk.

Karma - they knew I knew and they knew I would absolutely confront them. Hopefully the worry that we would meet again caused them much concern.

I'm sorry you were robbed Peter-H. It is a horrible feeling but please don't let this ruin your camino. It is a special time for you.

Buen Camino
Thank u so much makes one realise that one needs to b vigilant it’s sad 😢 that there is people like that doing the Camino
Omg I trekked in Peru for a month and never never had this happen
Enjoy the rest of ur Camino and be aware that unfortunately there r undesirables

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
One question "tigermike', what is the grapevine on which you heard of the other three thief's? This would seem to be yet another example of the outstanding resource that is the Camino Forum.
Hi Peter
My source was another pilgrim in that hostel the very same night, a Spanish friend with whom I had walked part of the CF back in 2021....It was mentioned that the Albergue is essentially open 24/7 so anyone "might" have wandered in...a view graciously put forward (although without too much conviction) perhaps to avoid confronting the unpleasant reality that the culprit was a fellow pilgrim....

Where was it? Not Carrion de los Condes by any chance?

De colores

Bogong

Where was it? Not Carrion de los Condes by any chance?

De colores

Bogong
Zubiri - answered in post #28 above.

I was in the Municipal Albergue in Zubiri. I didn't mention the Hostel or the town because I didn't want it to reflect badly on them. I don't see it as their fault.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As previously stated, can we stop using the words "theft" and "robbery" as interchangeable terms? Theft is the unlawful taking of property from another without their knowledge. Robbery is the unlawful taking of property from a person through the use of force or the threat of force.

Having someone go through your backpack while you are in the shower is one thing, but having someone hold a knife to your throat while demanding your wallet is another.

I would hate for potential pilgrims reading this forum to think that guns and knives are being displayed in albergues. These very rare thefts on the Camino are not violent events.

Last edited:
We were robbed in Zubiri also way back in 2016 and I know who the robbers were.

They were two young women, who I noticed took a very keen interest in everyone while resting on their beds. I thought it kind of odd at the time.
Next morning, they waited until the dorm was empty (everyone was downstairs having breakfast) and while one stood at the door, the other rifled through belongings. I returned to get my electric shaver and disturbed them and they pretended to be looking for something and then left hurridly. I thought it odd, at the time and my wife, shortly afterwards noticed some missing toiletries and clothing which she had placed on her bed.

Later that day, while having a cafe con leche, we saw them again at a cafe, and when they realised I was approaching them they were out the door and gone as fast as they could walk.

Karma - they knew I knew and they knew I would absolutely confront them. Hopefully the worry that we would meet again caused them much concern.

I'm sorry you were robbed Peter-H. It is a horrible feeling but please don't let this ruin your camino. It is a special time for you.
Maybe the thing to do is take pictures of them and then report what you saw? It's so sad to read of this happening, but I'm sort of glad to have the heads-up because I'll be more alert and more likely to think to do something like that.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My guess this is not a random, one off situation. The perp is either walking along the Camino with you looking for similar opportunities or a local who gained access to the albergue surreptitiously and has probably done and will continue to do this many time. He/she is a wise one to return your wallet to avoid suspicion.
Which makes it all even more creepy....

Buen Camino
So sad to hear that. Was this a pilgrim only albergue?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I stayed in the Zubiri municipal last year, I migrated from the dorm to the kitchen area and then to the bench in front of the albergue to sleep, because the sound of the air condition annoyed me and because until the day before I had almost always slept outside in my tent since Germany and wasn't used anymore to the big dormitorios.

The bench in front of the albergue is very comfortable, by the way.

While I slept in the kitchen (bench *not* comfortable there!) I realized that the local youth were walking in and out of the albergue, using the vending machine ect..

The front door was left wide open, everyone could walk in or out, which is why I took the opportunity to get some fresh air outside.

No way would I accuse the local kids to have done this theft, it could have been anyone, but what I want to say is that indeed, this albergue seems to be open for anyone to walk in even at night at least sometimes.

Some places do operate with a 24hrs open door, a concept I know from some of the French municipal gites (and it's not necessarily a bad one). I'm not sure whether the door left open was a mistake or is the norm in the Zubiri albergue, though.

But anyone sleeping in a dorm especially in a place like that should keep in mind that it's not a private hotel room. Keep your valuables on person, even at night, even when you're in the shower.

When you're tired of course mistakes happen, and the risk is never 0%. But it gets lower when things you don't want to lose are directly on person, in a money belt, ziploc, ect. Most thieves in these settings are opportunists so won't bother if the risk of waking you up or someone noticing is too high.

Hopefully those affected by this thief can continue their Caminos without fear and anger. May all the best Camino things happen to you to make up for this sad occurrence!

[And let's keep in mind that this is not the norm. Yes, thieves exist even on the Camino. But I've seen more lost valuables being brought back to their owners and more money/ wallets/ phones left unattended and out in the open by their tired owners with nothing happening (or even pilgrims taking it to the owner or hospitaleros to keep it safe), than I've heard of things being stolen.]

Last edited:
Sorry to hear but a reminder to always have valuables on your person, not next to you nor even at the end of your sleeping bag.

I’ve never understood the advice to keep valuables at the bottom of a sleeping bag.
It used to be one of the places that I was always taught never to use, as thieves often used to slit the bag open to get at money, cameras etc.
(there were no such things as mobile phones 😉)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This money belt is actually comfortable enough to sleep in. I have had many different money belts and neck pouches over the years, but this is the first one ever that is so comfortable that I forget that I have it on. (I don‘t know about putting a phone in it, but loaded up with money, credit cards and passport it’s still super comfortable.)

Depends on what you mean. Certainly the thieves may have stayed the night in the albergue, pretending to be, and looking like, fellow pilgrims. But I doubt that they are on their way to Santiago, or even the next stage.
Okay so I'll be clear what I mean..."an individual carrying pilgrim credentials" since it is my understanding that overnight accommodation at the Municipal Albergue in Zubiri is conditional upon having one !
It is doubtful, as you pointed out, that he/she/they are on their way to Santiago, however that is entirely irrelevant. The point here is that there are criminals prepared to masquerade as pilgrims, gain the trust of other pilgrims.... and then steal from them. That appeared to be the consensus opinion of those who stayed in Zubiri that night, including a Spanish victim,. And it is the purpose, I would venture to say, of the OP's 'cautionary tale' to alert others of the risk, however small that might be, that the Camino de Santiago is not immune to the harsh realities of life....

Unless I am mistaken … nearly fifty posts and nobody has mentioned the AlertCops app yet? Recommended to have for pilgrims. You don’t have to go and find a police station or wait in the morning until it opens, you can report a theft to the police via the app and in English.

PS: The app has numerous other features that can be useful.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Unless I am mistaken … nearly fifty posts and nobody has mentioned the AlertCops app yet? Recommended to have for pilgrims. You don’t have to go and find a police station or wait in the morning until it opens, you can report a theft to the police via the app and in English.

Good point. If the perpetrator was someone staying in the albergue (if) their details would have been recorded. The police would then be able to a) check those details against their records of known criminals and suspects and b) check to find if the same names reappear at albergues where thefts occur. Using Alertcops will also alert the cops that thefts are happening in albergues and where.

Great that you pointed this out @Kathar1na as this app is still not widely known to many pilgrims and certainly needs promoting. There have been some teething issues, as is so often the case with the roll out of new tech, but the app's administrators appear to be on the ball and very keen to make this thing quick, easy and efficient to use...
Peter the OP might want to email them at alertcops@interior.es to report his theft as this might facilitate a smoother experience at the Los Arcos Police Station.

Thank you again for bringing this app to our attention.

Good point. If the perpetrator was someone staying in the albergue (if) their details would have been recorded. The police would then be able to a) check those details against their records of known criminals and suspects and b) check to find if the same names reappear at albergues where thefts occur. Using Alertcops will also alert the cops that thefts are happening in albergues and where.

I dont know the albergue or what the setup is, if the hospi sleeps there? Worth checking the register, sure... but this sounds like professional thieves rather than opportunists. If it's the case, they wouldn't be likely to register their own details or show legitimate ID.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Peter the OP has, I believe, done us all a great service by bringing this unfortunate matter to our attention and we should be grateful.
As the CF ‘season’ kicks off so to speak, especially with the opening of the Napoleonic route, it seems that criminals have wasted no time in both targeting, and effectively striking, their unsuspecting prey.
We must refrain from distracting ourselves with the petty semantics, as well as country-specific definitions, of what has occurred here.
To do so would be to trivialise what is, for the victim, a clearly distressing, sad and arguably quite disgusting experience.
What is important, indeed vital, is that the National Spanish Police Authorities (Guardia Civil) are made aware of any and all criminal acts visited upon Pilgrims as it is their job and obligation to catch those responsible.
The alertcops app, as @Katar1na has pointed out, is an excellent first step in this process.
The theft of Peter’s, and at least three other Pilgrim’s cash from the Municipal Albergue in Zubiri, was evidently a bold and heartless undertaking. And it is safe to say that the perpetrator(s) will become increasingly emboldened the longer they remain at large.
The power and outreach of this excellent Forum is both well known and well established. So it seems to me that some of that influence could be brought to bear in the right quarters, especially at this early stage of the Camino ‘season’, to ensure a swift and effective crackdown against those who would seek to move among us, gain our trust and then betray it in such a despicable and cowardly way.

Buen Camino
I feel for you.
I am starting my French route walk in a few weeks and although I have been asked why I am doing it I happily admit I am not totally 100% sure but just know I need to do it. I think one of the main reason is that I have seen a lot crime where I live lately and the TV and media just seem to be throwing never ending stories of bad human behavior(not just crime), I just need to be with people totally unlike what we see in the news today.
So the last place I would hope to see an incident like this is on the Camino, but I do like your attitude and I feel at the end of the day 99% of the people you are walking with have more good in them than bad, that is going to be my hope and I am sure that is the case

99% of the people you are walking with have more good in them than bad, that is going to be my hope and I am sure that is the case
That is indeed the case, certainly in my experience. A couple of years ago I did three back-to-back Camino's; over 2000kms and 80+ days on the road and not a whiff of trouble. Peter's experience is far from the norm. In the event of a theft of any sort, the important takeaway in my view is to quickly inform the authorities, making as much fuss as you consider appropriate, and insist that they take immediate action. The Police will need our help, indeed they can only act on the information, clues and evidence we provide, and by so doing these criminals will eventually be caught. Until that time we must remain vigilant.
On May 17th I walk up the long hill once more, up and out of SJPDP on the first day of Camino number 9.
I will not allow Peter's unfortunate experience to negatively impact the spiritual wonder of the days that lie before me, and neither should you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's a rare occurrence for sure based on my own findings while walking and talking with other pilgrims.

That said, you should always be aware that it could happen anywhere and act accordingly. ABC Always be careful or as it says in my Brierley "trust in God and tether your camel"

Sensible precautions such as not leaving your valuables laying about when having a shower ...

Chances of it happening to you or anybody else reading this are slim but a little common sense will help

Buen Camino
We are all saddened to hear of your loss and the stress now put on everyone to be more vigilant. Albergue registration are forwarded to the local police and many thieves have been tracked using this info. (we have witnessed the effectiveness as Hospitaleros) Onward, with caution, learning as we go.

That is indeed the case, certainly in my experience. A couple of years ago I did three back-to-back Camino's; over 2000kms and 80+ days on the road and not a whiff of trouble. Peter's experience is far from the norm. In the event of a theft of any sort, the important takeaway in my view is to quickly inform the authorities, making as much fuss as you consider appropriate, and insist that they take immediate action. The Police will need our help, indeed they can only act on the information, clues and evidence we provide, and by so doing these criminals will eventually be caught. Until that time we must remain vigilant.
On May 17th I walk up the long hill once more, up and out of SJPDP on the first day of Camino number 9.
I will not allow Peter's unfortunate experience to negatively impact the spiritual wonder of the days that lie before me, and neither should you.
Firstly my thanks to everyone who has added a comment to this thread. Especially thanks to those who encouraged me to report the theft.
I did so this afternoon and the Guardia Civil visited me at the Hostel here in Los Arcos. I had the Hospitalero help with translation. The two police were very thorough and efficient; they went to a great deal of trouble to record all the necessary details.
I fully appreciate now the extent to which the authorities go to limit the occurrence of these problems on the Camino.
I haven't reported in the AlertCops App. I had downloaded the App and was in the process of doing so when the Police arrived. I figured it was then unnecessary to double up with the App because the Police did such a thorough job. I do agree however that it ought to be used as a first-response where contact with the Police might be difficult.
By way of a more general comment, it has been a somewhat sobering experience and I realise that what I thought was adequate security, was indeed not adequate. In future the wallet and passport will join me in the sleeping bag.
Two other things I wish to re-emphasise; my delight in the fact it seems unlikely the thief was a genuine Pilgrim and the fact that it will in no way define my Camino. I am enjoying it immensely and expect to continue doing so.
Buen Camino.

€60,-
This money belt is actually comfortable enough to sleep in. I have had many different money belts and neck pouches over the years, but this is the first one ever that is so comfortable that I forget that I have it on. (I don‘t know about putting a phone in it, but loaded up with money, credit cards and passport it’s still super comfortable.)

Are you thin? Heavy? I'm a little on the stocky side and wonder if this rolls up?

Are you thin? Heavy? I'm a little on the stocky side and wonder if this rolls up?
I’m not thin. I have a belly (unfortunately). It doesn’t roll, though it does ride up on me sometimes a little bit. Mainly it stays put. I wore it mostly with yoga-type pants (both inside and outside of them) and it was just like a thicker waistband.

I just came back from Argentina. My flights were 34 hours door to door southbound and about 20 hours northbound. Because of the economic and banking situation in Argentina, I was carrying stacks of cash, so I wore it on the flights and literally forgot I had it on. I threw it in the wash with everything else, and it came out fine. Totally worth the money.

I’m not thin. I have a belly (unfortunately). It doesn’t roll, though it does ride up on me sometimes a little bit. Mainly it stays put. I wore it mostly with yoga-type pants (both inside and outside of them) and it was just like a thicker waistband.

I just came back from Argentina. My flights were 34 hours door to door southbound and about 20 hours northbound. Because of the economic and banking situation in Argentina, I was carrying stacks of cash, so I wore it on the flights and literally forgot I had it on. I threw it in the wash with everything else, and it came out fine. Totally worth the money.
Thank you!
Puts a whole other spin on money laundering.

Did you carry loads of USD or use Western Union?

Did you carry loads of USD or use Western Union?
I don't think many people use Western Union anymore.
You can get USD out of any ATM in Spain, pretty much, as long as you have an ATM card with a 4 digit pin (I always have used numerals, though I heard someone used a 4 letter pin). No need to buy Euros. Just get them when you arrive. Find a bank that will return your fees. I use Charles Schwab and get all my fees back at the end of each month, no matter what ATM I use.

I never carry more than 200 euros at a time.

I don't think many people use Western Union anymore.
You can get USD out of any ATM in Spain, pretty much, as long as you have an ATM card with a 4 digit pin (I always have used numerals, though I heard someone used a 4 letter pin). No need to buy Euros. Just get them when you arrive. Find a bank that will return your fees. I use Charles Schwab and get all my fees back at the end of each month, no matter what ATM I use.

I never carry more than 200 euros at a time.
Sorry talking about Argentina!!!

Todays mid market is £1 = ARG 260 and WU is £1 = ARG 502. Wondering @Esperanza if USD got you more than WU at the cambios?

Sorry drifted off topic!

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry talking about Argentina!!!

Todays mid market is £1 = ARG 260 and WU is £1 = ARG 502. Wondering @Esperanza if USD got you more than WU at the cambios?

Sorry drifted off topic!

I’ll private message you before we wander too far off topic.

I will say for anyone who is curious, the rules are completely different for Argentina at the moment because their economy is such a mess. I carried around a couple thousand dollars in cash. 😳. A good money belt was essential!

Last edited:
Buen Camino
It pays to wear a money belt under your clothing. I only take it off when showering and hang it on a hook with my clothes. At this time I take out what money I need for the next day. No one sees it or sees you aking money out of it.

Thinking of “valuables” and sleeping with things I really don’t want to lose, does anyone have suggestions for how to comfortably sleep with pill bottles? (Moderators, let me know if you’d like me to post this as a new thread).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am happy to hear this isolated incident has not affected your outlook on your walk. I wanted to share when similar things have happened to me, it has helped me to give as much grace to the situation as possible to help me with my feelings. For example, if you are driving behind a very slow driver, perhaps imagine it is a mom driving a birthday cake home for her family. In your situation, perhaps, the thief needs to feed a family and perhaps their circumstance made them feel stealing was the only option. It is not to condone the crime, but rather, helps me give grace in such a situation. Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am happy to hear this isolated incident has not affected your outlook on your walk. I wanted to share when similar things have happened to me, it has helped me to give as much grace to the situation as possible to help me with my feelings. For example, if you are driving behind a very slow driver, perhaps imagine it is a mom driving a birthday cake home for her family. In your situation, perhaps, the thief needs to feed a family and perhaps their circumstance made them feel stealing was the only option. It is not to condone the crime, but rather, helps me give grace in such a situation. Buen camino.

Sorry , but what a strange train of thought!
Giving grace to the situation? Stealing is always a NO.
Honestly I am appalled you mention that this thief might need to feed his family! In my job I regularly work with people who are very short with money. They are honest people and would never turn to stealing.
There is grace and there is naivety.

For example, if you are driving behind a very slow driver, perhaps imagine it is a mom driving a birthday cake home for her family. In your situation, perhaps, the thief needs to feed a family and perhaps their circumstance made them feel stealing was the only option.

A slow driver with an imagined birthday cake and a thief in the night are two very different situations. You’re minimizing the stress and distress of the victims’ experience in exchange for a scenario that is most likely, imaginary.

Welcome to the forum, @lianelau. As you can see there are some pretty strenuous disagreements in response to your post, but I hope we can move on now. I am not about to weigh in on the morality of stealing if your children are going hungry (which seems like a no-brainer to me, but hey), or whether that was likely the situation in this case, but my takeaway from your post is that we would all do well to let go of the anger and bitterness that come with this terrible feeling of violation that descends upon you when you are the victim of theft. That’s very good advice, imho.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Are you serious ?
Have you even bothered to read the incident details above ??
A thief, or thieves, masquerading as PILGRIMS, invested in overnight accommodation in an Albergue and then stole money and possessions from at least FOUR genuine pilgrims as they slept.
And they did all this because they needed to feed a family - is that your fantasy ??
Is that really supposed to make the victims feel better ?
@SabsP nailed it in one... "There is grace and there is naivety" !!
I understand where you’re coming from but I really don’t regard ‘pilgrims’, let alone ‘PILGRIMS’ as special. 90% or more of us are tourists; and what if it had only been THREE or even ONE; would that have made a difference?

And @lianelau. I don’t agree - which may well be due to my lack of empathy or grace.

Welcome to the forum, @lianelau. As you can see there are some pretty strenuous disagreements in response to your post, but I hope we can move on now. I am not about to weigh in on the morality of stealing if your children are going hungry (which seems like a no-brainer to me, but hey), or whether that was likely the situation in this case, but my takeaway from your post is that we would all do well to let go of the anger and bitterness that come with this terrible feeling of violation that descends upon you when you are the victim of theft. That’s very good advice, imho.
Thanks for the reply as a new user. I will not comment further on the thread, but only made my suggestion on perspective on processing emotions in a nonjudgmental manner. As I do this every day as a nurse.

Sorry , but what a strange train of thought!
Giving grace to the situation? Stealing is always a NO.
Honestly I am appalled you mention that this thief might need to feed his family! In my job I regularly work with people who are very short with money. They are honest people and would never turn to stealing.
There is grace and there is naivety.
There is the recognition of original sin and while doing our civic duty to afford the thief the opportunity to repent and reform, also accept the suffering which is separate from the reporting. Apologies if I have trespassed over the line into religion.

€46,-
Lianelau, I understand your purpose for suggesting ways to forgive a bad situation. I agree with you and I'm sorry some members here seem to feel you are naive or foolish. Sometimes you have to assume there was a good reason for a bad thing to have happened.

Finding a good reason for someone to steal money in the middle of the night from unsuspecting, exhausted sleepers (especially towards the beginning of the CF, which can be rough) is especially hard to justify, so one needs to dig up a double dose of forgiveness. You clearly have the heart and compassion to do such a thing. I work hard to hopefully do the same.

The O.P. has found a way to continue through this theft with joy in his heart. He has found grace!

PS - And I hope the cops catch the guy!!

Last edited:
28 April 2005 as my companion and I were in Zubiri Municipal (old schoolhouse), a peregrina had her pack stolen from under her bed. Her bunk was near the door and it was likely that someone came in at night and stole the pack. But to frame the tragedy a bit differently----another peregrina "passed the hat" and got enough money to re-outfit the victim in Pamplona. My first and a very touching encounter with a Camino Angels. There were more later of course, but that kindness was the first and most touching.

28 April 2005 as my companion and I were in Zubiri Municipal (old schoolhouse), a peregrina had her pack stolen from under her bed. Her bunk was near the door and it was likely that someone came in at night and stole the pack. But to frame the tragedy a bit differently----another peregrina "passed the hat" and got enough money to re-outfit the victim in Pamplona. My first and a very touching encounter with a Camino Angels. There were more later of course, but that kindness was the first and most touching.
That is lovely. Let's all remember this and react the same way should this happen on our camino.

Hmmm.

I'm starting to think that the muni in Zubiri might be a place for pilgrims, new and experienced, to avoid. Call me crazy, but I kind of appreciate a place that has some rules and regulations for people who stay overnight. We are all strangers sharing the same space and a basic amount of security should be easy to provide. It complements our sense of trust.

Locking the door at night so people can't get in after a certain hour seems reasonable, although I know it puts a damper on those who want to enjoy the late night ambience of Spain.

Of course, the locked door would be easily opened from the inside in case of emergency.

And a locked door in an albergue doesn't guarantee freedom from bad actors. Therefore, one should still take precautions often suggested on this forum, for personal security.

If you are new, I can tell you that I have never received anything but kindness and support from the many, many pilgrims, hospitaleros, and locals I've encountered over the years and hundreds of miles. I have never had anything stolen.

And, if anything bad happens to you, PLEASE let the police know!! Remember, you did nothing wrong!!

Buen Camino
Oh I am so sorry for your experience. It must be devastating.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A reminder that, although very distressing, money and passports can eventually be replaced. A stamped credencial cannot.
Absolutely true. But I expect that money and passports have a lot more street value than credenciales (even those with lots of stamps), making them much more attractive targets for a thief.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Absolutely true. But I expect that money and passports have a lot more street value than credenciales (even those with lots of stamps), making them much more attractive targets for a thief.
Oddly enough I was warned more than once on the Shikoku pilgrimage circuit to guard the book in which my temple stamps and calligraphy were collected as they can be a target for theft. It seemed quite bizarre - especially in a country where petty theft is so rare!

Attachments

• IMG_20211218_195517~2.jpg
    IMG_20211218_195517~2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6

Thanks for sharing this app!

Buen Camino
Sad news. Sorry for your loss, but also BIG sad for Camino trust.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.