• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

theft

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
akles said:
Do I have to worry about my stuff being stolen?
How much you worry is a personal matter, but its not compulsory. What you should consider is taking sensible measures for the circumstances.

During the day you will normally be walking alone or in a small groups, which is relatively low risk. But at villages and towns, you will visit cafes and bars where it might be tempting to leave your backpack unattended for a short time. Then it is sensible to make sure you keep your valuables on you, rather than with your back pack.

At albergues in the evening, I kept my valuables in a small bag I could carry with me whether that was just in the albergue or walking in the town or village. I wouldn't advise burdening any new friends you make on the Camino with the responsibility for watching your gear in the dormitories.

There are plenty of good web sites with advice on safe, secure travel with detailed tips, and my final bit of advice is never tell anyone what specific arrangements you're making.

Regards,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm not sure where you are from, but I guess my question is this:

"Would you leave your valuables on your bed in your backpack in a dorm hostel in any big city in your country?"

I think if you use common sense you will be fine. Nobody wants your underwear or walking clothes. Your iPad, iPhone, camera, passport, or cash is another matter. Never leave it. Take it into the shower with you.

You have a bigger problem from pickpockets in the large cities, especially airports, bus and train stations. See my blog here for some GREAT video of the pickpockets in action. It is an eye-opener:

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2012/03/pickpockets-and-other-tourist-scams.html

Annie,

Great post and timely!

The season is well underway and the Camino, mostly in the bigger cities, is a pick pockets delight.

Be aware of your surroundings, yet don't become paranoid.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Thank-you for your answers. Good common sense and aware are the ticket no matter where one is. I am new to hostel sleeping and so am in new learning territory.
Leslie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.