• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

There and back again

Gerry 7

Time of past OR future Camino
September "2015" Camino Frances, St. Jean to Santiago
Hi everyone,
We intend to walk the Camino Frances in September 2015. I am looking for advice about the most efficient/economical way to make the round trip. We live in Scotland and it seems the best way is to fly to Biarritz, then train up SJPP. We want to walk the whole route to SDC and may go on to Muxia. So how do you book the ticket? Not sure how long it will take us ( we have no time constraints). Single fares are more expensive but it looks like singles to Biarritz and then singles from Santiago back home -if that is possible. Do we book open tickets for the return or get transport back to Biarritz? Any advice would be most welcome.

regards
Gerry 7

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have booked a single with Easy Jet from Gatwick to Biarritz, I haven't bothered with a return because like you I don't know how long it will take.
I have checked and you can get from SDC back to the UK, again by Easy jet, so you wouldn't need to go back to Biarritz. Now the logistics of booking a ticket in Spain with EJ and doing an online check-in, plus printing a boarding pass is a bridge I'll cross when I'm ready to return home.

Hope this helps.

Hi everyone,
We intend to walk the Camino Frances in September 2015. I am looking for advice about the most efficient/economical way to make the round trip. We live in Scotland and it seems the best way is to fly to Biarritz, then train up SJPP. We want to walk the whole route to SDC and may go on to Muxia. So how do you book the ticket? Not sure how long it will take us ( we have no time constraints). Single fares are more expensive but it looks like singles to Biarritz and then singles from Santiago back home -if that is possible. Do we book open tickets for the return or get transport back to Biarritz? Any advice would be most welcome.

regards
Gerry 7

You can buy the ticket on-line from the airline you travel with.

I found Easy Jet and Ryan Air to be relatively cheap compared to what I am used to at home. They offer flights from Gatwick and Stansted respectively to Biarritz.

Ryan Air and Easy Jet both provide service from Santiago to London.

You will have to do your own cost analysis to determine if it is cheaper to buy two single fares, an open jaw ticket, or return from Biarritz. There are lots of variables in prices depending on your dates of travel and when you buy tickets. Remember there is a cost to get from Santiago to Biarritz (Renfe train to Hendaye, and Transports64 bus to Biarritz airport)

See destination information on airport sites to selects ports of travel and airlines.

Biarritz Airport
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

Santiago (Labacolla) Airport
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Santiago/es/

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/

Transports64
http://www.transports64.fr/transports-64?lang=fr

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,

I traveled to the camino from Scotland by flying from Edinburgh to Gatwick with a budget airline, I think it was Ryanair, then Easy jet to Biaritz. In pure dyslexic incompetence on my part I booked a flight home from Santander by mistake, thinking it was Santiago. Fortunately one of my friends saw my booking and pointed out that it was not from Santiago, so when I finished I took an overnight bus at the coast of 50 Euro back to Santander, and walked a couple of days on the North route before it was time to leave. In September most of the tourists will have gone home, so flights will be cheaper. Check out the Ryanair and easyjet sites, flights are cheapest when booked as early as possible. make sure you give yourselves plenty of time, so as not having to rush the last part under pressure to get back for a flight.

Welcome to the Forum. Would advise that you consider very carefully before booking a return flight out of Biarritz. It is not simple getting from Santiago to Biarritz; all travel seemed to be via Madrid and, consequently, very time consuming.

Happy planning. :)

Hello Gerry
When I did the Camino Frances I booked a oneway flight to Biarritz with Ryanair When I was about a week from Santiago I booked a flight home. By then I had a good idea when I would reach Santiago and if I wanted to walk to the coast.I have repeated this homeward journey for my other Caminos as well
Buen Camino and enjoy
Maura

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have booked a single with Easy Jet from Gatwick to Biarritz, I haven't bothered with a return because like you I don't know how long it will take.
I have checked and you can get from SDC back to the UK, again by Easy jet, so you wouldn't need to go back to Biarritz. Now the logistics of booking a ticket in Spain with EJ and doing an online check-in, plus printing a boarding pass is a bridge I'll cross when I'm ready to return home.

Hope this helps.
Hi Waka,
Thanks for the quick reply. I think we will end up just booking the return flight while we are there, as you suggest. I'm sure that it must be simpe enough. (Famous last words). Thanks again. Hope your Camino goes well.
Gerry

You can buy the ticket on-line from the airline you travel with.

I found Easy Jet and Ryan Air to be relatively cheap compared to what I am used to at home. They offer flights from Gatwick and Stansted respectively to Biarritz.

Ryan Air and Easy Jet both provide service from Santiago to London.

You will have to do your own cost analysis to determine if it is cheaper to buy two single fares, an open jaw ticket, or return from Biarritz. There are lots of variables in prices depending on your dates of travel and when you buy tickets. Remember there is a cost to get from Santiago to Biarritz (Renfe train to Hendaye, and Transports64 bus to Biarritz airport)

See destination information on airport sites to selects ports of travel and airlines.

Biarritz Airport
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

Santiago (Labacolla) Airport
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Santiago/es/

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/

Transports64
http://www.transports64.fr/transports-64?lang=fr
Hi Whariwharangi,
Thanks. You have given a lot of information and options to consider. Much Obliged.
Gerry

Hi,

I traveled to the camino from Scotland by flying from Edinburgh to Gatwick with a budget airline, I think it was Ryanair, then Easy jet to Biaritz. In pure dyslexic incompetence on my part I booked a flight home from Santander by mistake, thinking it was Santiago. Fortunately one of my friends saw my booking and pointed out that it was not from Santiago, so when I finished I took an overnight bus at the coast of 50 Euro back to Santander, and walked a couple of days on the North route before it was time to leave. In September most of the tourists will have gone home, so flights will be cheaper. Check out the Ryanair and easyjet sites, flights are cheapest when booked as early as possible. make sure you give yourselves plenty of time, so as not having to rush the last part under pressure to get back for a flight.
Hi MKalcolm,
Thanks for all of the advice. The current theme seems to be that I can book the return when I am out there. But I will look into some of your suggestions. I think you will be right when you say that flights might be cheaper at that time.
Thanks
Gerry

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Welcome to the Forum. Would advise that you consider very carefully before booking a return flight out of Biarritz. It is not simple getting from Santiago to Biarritz; all travel seemed to be via Madrid and, consequently, very time consuming.

Happy planning. :)
Hi Icacos,
Yes I agree with that. I did not want to return via Biarritz as I was hoping to avoid that journey back.
Thanks for the reply.

Gerry

Hello Gerry
When I did the Camino Frances I booked a oneway flight to Biarritz with Ryanair When I was about a week from Santiago I booked a flight home. By then I had a good idea when I would reach Santiago and if I wanted to walk to the coast.I have repeated this homeward journey for my other Caminos as well
Buen Camino and enjoy
Maura
Hi Maura,
Thanks for the advice. I think we will be doing what you suggest and booking our return when we are out there. It seems to be the most sensible solution for us. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Regards
Gerry

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back