• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

There are Stores in Spain

jo webber

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 9th 2017
For a Camino Francis starting in very early September I'm thinking only a silk liner would be needed at night. In October it will get cold. Rather than haul a warmer liner or sleeping bag for 20 to 30 days - just buy as needed. Does that make sense?

We are planning a slow walk with several days of sight seeing in a few places.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yet another minefield. I'm a woman of a certain age and feeling cold is not high on my list of available options. If I was walking over the month of September in albergues where open windows are few and far between, I would happily walk with only a silk sleeping sheet. Start a conversation with me if at the end of your camino if this doesn't work!!!

If you plan to stay in the albergue in Roncesvalles, you should know that they don't have blankets there - but they do sell sleeping bags :cool:

I always take a light weight sleeping bag with me, not all albergues have blankets and I like to be warm at night. Buen Camino, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I would take a lightweight compressible sleeping bag and be self-sufficient the whole way, whatever the weather. Sure, you can buy something in a shop, but not in the middle of the night when you wake up freezing cold.
Jill

For a Camino Francis starting in very early September I'm thinking only a silk liner would be needed at night. In October it will get cold. Rather than haul a warmer liner or sleeping bag for 20 to 30 days - just buy as needed. Does that make sense?

Yes

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No. When we need, lets say, a sleeping bag, we usually go to the forest, kill a bear with our lances and use the bear´s skin to make what we need. :D

Last edited:
If you plan to stay in the albergue in Roncesvalles, you should know that they don't have blankets there - but they do sell sleeping bags :cool:

I always take a light weight sleeping bag with me, not all albergues have blankets and I like to be warm at night. Buen Camino, SY

Yes, there are shops in Spain, just not where and when you need them, selling what you need. There are also cars in Spain and people use them to buy supplies. ;). Bring what you need. There are some very light sleeping bags these days.
Do as these experienced pilgrims say. I always carry a lightweight summer-style sleeping bag, ca. 500 gr.

Spain is a very sivilised country with all kinds of shops for all you need, and cheap, but not necessarily in rural areas. The Camino crosses many rural areas. :(

You got some good advice in those quotes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rather than haul a warmer liner or sleeping bag for 20 to 30 days - just buy as needed.
Might not be impossible, but certainly doesn't seem practical. On reflection, the places where I needed additional warmth were the places least likely to have a shop for even a warm blanket, let alone a sleeping bag. I carry a sleeping bag, and don't intend to take it off my packing list.

Might not be impossible, but certainly doesn't seem practical. On reflection, the places where I needed additional warmth were the places least likely to have a shop for even a warm blanket, let alone a sleeping bag. I carry a sleeping bag, and don't intend to take it off my packing list.
A sensible man, indeed. :)

PS: Notice that your question has been answered by some very experienced pilgrims... ;)

Last edited:

Spain has an Atlantic climate and the weather isn't completely predictable.

Also in regards to your sightseeing plan, don't forget you can't stay more than one night in a municipal, parish or donation albergue unless you are ill or injured.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Test it at home. Sleep in your house with only a silk liner and no heat and the window open. If that works for you and you think the temps are comparable then go for it. I was too cold with just a silk liner.

What they all said :cool: I always carry a light sleeping bag with me and...I've used it many times! Wouldn't be without it.
Buen camino:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did the Via de la Plata in May/June 2011 without a sleepingbag. Brought a survival bag which I used a couple of nights.
Nowadays I always carry a sleepingbag and silkliner even if I stay in hostels/ hotels/casarural . Houses in Spain are usually colder than what I am used to at home (North of Norway). It is often cold in the evening and it is good to have something to creep into when you rest after a long day of walking.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.