A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

There Is Evil In Our Geologic Walking Realm

davebugg

DustOff: "When I have your wounded."
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Sept. 2017: SJPdP to Burgos
Sept./Oct. 2018: SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela
On the Camino Frances between St Jean Pied de Port and Santiago de Compostela there are two major standouts of endurance that try many a pilgrim's resolve :) The climb out of SJPdP to the Col de Lepoeder on the way to Roncesvalles and the walk up to O Cebreiro. These two calorie burners and breath takers are, however, not evil.

This is evil incarnate: The Manitou (Man ah Too) Incline, near to Colorado Springs, Colorado.

The Manitou Incline gains a bit more than 2000 feet (607 meters) of elevation in about one mile (1.6 Km). Imagine a stack of uneven stairs where each step is of a varying rise that has to go up for two thousand feet in the length of a mile, and you begin to get the picture. My best time is 1 hr 11 minutes :eek:. My son's best time is 36 minutes, while a US Army Ranger stationed at Ft Carson.

Advertisment

On the Camino Frances between St Jean Pied de Port and Santiago de Compostela there are two major standouts of endurance that try many a pilgrim's resolve :) The climb out of SJPdP to the Col de Lepoeder on the way to Roncesvalles and the walk up to O Cebreiro. These two calorie burners and breath takers are, however, not evil.

This is evil incarnate: The Manitou (Man ah Too) Incline, near to Colorado Springs, Colorado.

The Manitou Incline gains a bit more than 2000 feet (607 meters) of elevation in about one mile (1.6 Km). Imagine a stack of uneven stairs where each step is of a varying rise that has to go up for two thousand feet in the length of a mile, and you begin to get the picture. My best time is 1 hr 11 minutes :eek:. My son's best time is 36 minutes, while a US Army Ranger stationed at Ft Carson.

Wow! I would love to complete the Manitou Incline. Good job!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Part 1 (2017)/ Part 2 (2018), VF Part 1 (2018)
That’s a great achievement. Hope he can put it to good use like mountain rescue

Advertisment

davebugg

DustOff: "When I have your wounded."
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Sept. 2017: SJPdP to Burgos
Sept./Oct. 2018: SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela
Wow! I would love to complete the Manitou Incline. Good job!
I always swear, as I stagger to the top, that this will be the very last time I do this insane thing. But then I get back to Denver to visit Caleb, and it pulls me back in. I hate that thing :)

Camino(s) past & future
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Unfortunately too far for me to travel, but what a challenge, respect for all those that have achieved it.

Camino(s) past & future
Feb-Mar '14. CF: SJPdP to just beyond Belorado
Sep-Oct '16, CF: SJPdP to SdC
Sept-Oct '18, CF
Since I've lived in the Springs area (2012), I've completed the Incline seven times (usually between 1:15-1:45) and several times been with friends as they've traveled to the area and made valiant attempts to complete it before taking the bail-out at the two-thirds point. Each and every time, at about 5 minutes into it, I have wondered what I was thinking of by attempting it. Yet, the sense of accomplishment and the view from the top eventually bring me back for another try.

Walking Lover

Camino(s) past & future
CdS from Leon to Santiago, June 16, 2016 to June 30, 2016.

My son used to do the half on Saturday and the full marathon on Sunday starting on Manitou. I agree with you completely. There is nowhere on the Camino that compares to the ascent to Pike's Peak.

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 101 15.7%
  • May

Votes: 164 25.4%