• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"There is no way to happiness; Happiness is the way."

Yodapsy

Rob Blinn
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July 2013, Planning July 2018 Camino Portugues.
About 10 years ago I was goin through a tough time, when I came upon this quote from Thich Nhat Hanh, the Vietnamese Buddhist Monk: "There is no way to happiness; Happiness is the way." I often thought of this when I was not happy and it helped me remember that "doing" happiness is not the way but that "being" happiness usually turns out much better. As I was reading some posts on the forum today, I suddenly had the thought that this saying really applies to my experience on the Camino this past summer. When I was looking for the Camino to provide me with happiness, I was often disappointed. When I tried to bring some happiness to my camino experience and look for the happiness in myself and others, my experience was much better. Today the words "the way" punched me in the gut in a happy way when reading this quote, and so I thought I would share this. I am interested in other interpretations of this quote. Now I will always see that when I am finding true happiness, I am also finding the Camino. :):D

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
A part of cognitive therapy is to act the way you want to feel even if it is contrived. It works! The next time you are walking head down in a dismal winter funk, stand erect. Smile. Skip down the hallway. Act like it is a spring day in a meadow of flowers.

Salesmen will tell you to smile when you are talking on the phone. The other person cannot see the smile, but it comes through in your voice and sales pitch.

You are what you act, pretty much. Be a grouch and you will be grouchy...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Happiness is defined as an emotional state of mind brought on by feelings of contentment/joy. We all have certain things in life that elicit these types of feelings. Then things change, something small or large, and our lives become more difficult because of this loss.

Change is one of those things in life we can count on like death and taxes.

My life changed many years ago when I learned to embrace change. I found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable/challenging situations. It has allowed me to be a happier person. I have yet to be able to apply that approach to my golf game :).

Ultreya,
Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Rob, thanks for reminder. I used to use that quote at the end of my Camino talks all the time as it perfectly described my journey and that idea that the Camino is a metaphor for life. To go one more step...I discovered that when I am finding true happiness, I am finding the way back to myself.

Peace on your way,
Sue

That is also one of my favorite quotes Yodapsy.

For me "happiness" is a state of being rooted in a sense of gratitude. A few months ago I read a quote from Brother David David Steindl-Rast, a Catholic Benedictine monk, that sums this up quite well: "In daily life we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy." This may be the reason why the Camino pulls me back time and again - it reinforces my sense of gratitude.
Gratitude=Happiness.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A part of cognitive therapy is to act the way you want to feel even if it is contrived. It works! The next time you are walking head down in a dismal winter funk, stand erect. Smile. Skip down the hallway. Act like it is a spring day in a meadow of flowers.

Salesmen will tell you to smile when you are talking on the phone. The other person cannot see the smile, but it comes through in your voice and sales pitch.

You are what you act, pretty much. Be a grouch and you will be grouchy...
I've got stacks of books on the subject and you've reduced their content to four lines !

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back