• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

There is one last thing I'm worried about: albergues filling

MCVet

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked (2012)
So I see this as a two part post I guess.

1) What happens if you arrive to a municipal albergue and it's full? For instance I get to Roncesvalles (I know that one is large, but just the first one that came to mind) and it's all full? Will other albergues/hostels be more expensive? Will I have to shell out big time for hotels? How would I find other albergues/hostels, and what if they're full? I've no idea how common it is for them to be full, just wondering.

2) Along the same lines, but let's say I make the trek from Najera to Granon to stay in the church parish loft there. What if I get 24 kilometers down the road and they're full? Now I'm no longer in a large town, so I don't think there'd be many other options to stay at. What happens then? Can't really keep going because it'd be around the end of the day, I would think. I suppose you could back track to Santo Domingo and hope they have one open but then you're backtracking.

Do the 'off the beaten path' alberques require reservations to avoid number 2 from happening? I know that, for instance, Orrion does, so do the others as well?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
MCVet said:
So I see this as a two part post I guess.

1) What happens if you arrive to a municipal albergue and it's full? For instance I get to Roncesvalles (I know that one is large, but just the first one that came to mind) and it's all full? Will other albergues/hostels be more expensive? Will I have to shell out big time for hotels? How would I find other albergues/hostels, and what if they're full? I've no idea how common it is for them to be full, just wondering.

2) Along the same lines, but let's say I make the trek from Najera to Granon to stay in the church parish loft there. What if I get 24 kilometers down the road and they're full? Now I'm no longer in a large town, so I don't think there'd be many other options to stay at. What happens then? Can't really keep going because it'd be around the end of the day, I would think. I suppose you could back track to Santo Domingo and hope they have one open but then you're backtracking.

Do the 'off the beaten path' alberques require reservations to avoid number 2 from happening? I know that, for instance, Orrion does, so do the others as well?

MCVet,

The worries that you cite unfortunately depend on what might be described as "the luck of the draw".

You can only reserve a bunk in advance at private albergues such as Orrison. If you have a reservation you should be assured of a bed. Check the albergue listings on http://Gronze.com/ to see if they are private or take reservations.

At municipal albergues it is first come first taken. However some of these places have or know of 'hidden' backups, Ie another floor or adjacent out-building. Often hospiteleros will call around to help find you another affordable space.

Thus finding a bunk in the busy season can be difficult. That's one reason I have always gone in autumn and winter. It may be cold but there are plenty of bunks!

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Margaret

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi MCVet,
I've only walked the route once so others will be more qualified to answer most of your questions.
However, most will probably tell you that something will work out, even if that is a bit unnerving to hear, it seems to be generally true.
Only once did we find a town with no obvious accommodation and that was Triacastela.
We tried every establishment in town, no luck. We back tracked to some places we past, no luck.
We were standing on a corner looking for some shelter to sleep under, when I saw a taxi parked with a phone number on a sign on the dash. After a conversation in very poor and very limited spanish, the taxi driver arrived and drove me a few klms out of town (7 euros) and came back and picked me up in the morning (7 euros). Our friends from Denmark, got into Triacastela even later than us that night. They told us that they were standing in the street in the dark looking for the police station to enquire at, when an old lady came up and said she had a room to rent (think it cost them 12 euros). So even if there might have been a few anxious moments, something did work out.
But, let me stress that was once in 800klm.
Regarding costs if you can't get into an Albergue this will vary, but there is lot's of cheaper style accommodation in Hotels, Bars, Hostels etc.
Generally speaking you won't be able to reserve a room ahead in the smaller towns you spoke about.
But as a rule there is about the right amount of accommodation along the way.
Buen Camino
Col

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Let's say nothing worked out. What would you do? Sleep in a park? In the police station (if you can find it)? Outside the albergue? Walk outside of town and sleep under the stars?

In other words, I suppose, what are Spain's laws on sleeping in public, and how safe is it? Though I imagine the answers for both may just be 'it depends on where you are.'

I don't guess it'd be proper to, as in my previous example, stop in Santo Domingo and try and nab a spot in the albergue as a sort of 'backup' and then continue on to Granon, just in case you get turned away at Granon?

Also: margarette, that link you posted doesn't seem to work any more. It loads the main page but then all other pages linked from that one seem to be broken.

MCVet said:
Let's say nothing worked out. What would you do? Sleep in a park? In the police station (if you can find it)? Outside the albergue? Walk outside of town and sleep under the stars?

In other words, I suppose, what are Spain's laws on sleeping in public, and how safe is it? Though I imagine the answers for both may just be 'it depends on where you are.'

All of the above :D However pilgrims very rarely report not being able to find a bed although this is an understandable anxiety. Local people are very helpful.

However pilgrims very rarely report not being able to find a bed although this is an understandable anxiety. Local people are very helpful.

Interesting. I guess it's a completely different culture over there? You certainly wouldn't dream of sleeping in a Houston park alone at night with valuables on you. That's a good way to get mugged at best.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Mc Vet,

I can empathise with you as this is always my worry. I really try to put my trust in God but I still worry.

I would not be able to trek onwards or backwards when I arrive. Places like Granon will give you a place on the floor. I have reached the stage that I am looking for a roof and floor space, everything else is luxury.

In order not to worry this year I have decided to do what one other person has suggested. If needs be I will get a taxi to somewhere off the Camino. My problem about this is "that it is far from getting taxies " that I was reared and I still have difficulty in embracing this luxury even in an emergency.

Buen Camino to you and make sure to stay in Granon. There is nowhere else in the world like it.

Lydia

You don't say when you will be walking, because in July and August can be problematic. I have only walked in May, June, september and October. Only on two occasions did we find "no room at the inn" and then found much better alternative accommodation. Anne

From one worry-wart to another, I want to offer another option to consider as you walk: try trust.

From what I can tell, walking the Camino is a euphemism for life. If one thing in life is true, it's that nothing is for certain. Instead of planning for every contingency (God knows I do it too), try tolerating not knowing how things will turn out.

Humans have lived without shelter since the beginning of humanity and (I don't mean this facetiously) we have thrived. If you have to sleep al fresco, it might be scary. You might not sleep well. Maybe someone will bug you. But I bet you'll survive (and I bet I would too). Throw in a little gratitude for living another day and it could be a breakthrough moment for you -- that you faced your worst fear and survived it.

All of that said, here's one practical idea: If the albergue volunteer tells you they're full, ask them what your other options are. Ask them to partner with you in solving the dilemma. You are worth advocating for yourself.

Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For anyone afraid of where they will sleep, may I suggest you make a cup of coffee or tea, and sit down for an hour and read Lovingkindess' thread on her recent journey to Santiago. Beautifully written, lots of insight, and the photos are incredible!

Well, see my recent post - "My experience".
On the 4th day out from St Jean, after walking 34 kms from Obanos, the alb at Villamajor de Monjardin was full, and, being Easter week and most things closed down, several of us had to walk the extra 12kms to Los Arcos for a bed - not a thing in between, no buses or taxis.
So the answer, from my point of view, is that the camino does not always provide.....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My husband and I are planning to take a VERY light tent ... just in case. I am being pretty draconian on the rest of my items with regard to weight so hopefully this one extra item won't break our back. His occasional insomnia could become problematic in crowded dorms so we wanted an alternative option if needed ... hopefully we will be able to find places to pitch it if the need arises, although in a perfect world we would not need it at all :) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst (within reason as your weight restrictions allow)

You don't say when you will be walking, because in July and August can be problematic.

I'll be starting June 9th or 10th, and finishing up, hopefully, around July 10th - 20th.
Humans have lived without shelter since the beginning of humanity and (I don't mean this facetiously) we have thrived. If you have to sleep al fresco, it might be scary.

Well that's fine and all, and I've no problem sleeping under the big dome of the sky, but our ancestors had lookouts/night watches for things that go bump in the night. I won't have that most likely and I'll be in a foreign area, clearly a tourist, and exposed to whatever comes my way as I sleep. Prime target for ne'er-do-wells I should think.

Also can't really afford to have my pack stolen out in the middle of what may as well be nowhere.

Sleep with your head or feet on your pack if you sleep outside :)
Most people don't want what's in your pack... honest.

Put your money belt and any electronics in the foot box of your sleeping bag and relax... :)
There is MUCH less Crime in Spain than in the USA, in my opinion, and especially along the Camino.

I don't know how old you are but think small town USA in the 1950s for most of the walk except larger cities.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sojourner47 said:
Well, see my recent post - "My experience".
On the 4th day out from St Jean, after walking 34 kms from Obanos, the alb at Villamajor de Monjardin was full, and, being Easter week and most things closed down, several of us had to walk the extra 12kms to Los Arcos for a bed - not a thing in between, no buses or taxis.
So the answer, from my point of view, is that the camino does not always provide.....

Interesting. You see I'd say that was a result. It was your choice to walk the 34 kms from Obanos to Villamajor passing according to my rough estimate 14 albergues (if they were all open) on the way some of which are private and may have taken reservations. In addition there were a couple of hotels along the way too. Care has to be taken during Holy Week and Easter when numbers increase and it is particularly risky to walk very long days arriving later when beds are likely to be at a premium. But the fact is having walked on you got a bed.

All we can do is give you our experience. If pilgrims want to be more certain then either pick another route, or another time of the year or spend the money on a supported pilgrimage where a company will book hotels for you along the way.

The camino has challenges. Meeting them is what gives a huge amount of satisfaction.

Buen camino

John

John,
Now you make me laugh. And so, so true and wise, what you say.

And to be frank: On the Camino, I have never seen ill-meaning people. If you sleep on the steps of a church, your moneybelt/valuables in the bottom of your sleeping bag, and your head on your rucksack; what can go wrong?

People fear too much: My personal experience is that you will meet friendly, forthcoming, helpful, honest people on the camino. I agree: Not the kind of people you'll meet in downtown LA (Personal experience!) or Johannesburg (as I have been told). It (the Camino) is another world.

Well I guess this is just one thing that can't be planned for then. Hopefully people just see a skinny white guy and think "no way that guy can be carrying anything worthwhile on him."

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My preference is to walk with a rough idea of my destination for the day but I don't make a firm decision until the day unfolds. I wander off in the morning when I'm ready (usually about 7.30-8.00am) and start looking at my options once I've reached the 20km mark. If somewhere feels right, I stay. If not, I walk on. I prefer not to go past 30km unless there's a very good reason and don't walk on if there's only a small albergue in the next village.

I've often ended up on a mattress on the floor which is no big deal and once slept in a courtyard with a number of other pilgrims. The albergue supplied mattresses and blankets to put over our sleeping bags and it felt quite adventurous - obviously I'm easily pleased :D

Relax, have faith, it all seems to work out in the end.

A common phrase you hear among pilgrims is "the Camino provides." I know that might not be all that helpful in a practical sense, but for me has always been true on the road.

I have walked the French route twice in high season and never wanted for a bed. Some of my companions did arrive to towns and find that all the albergues were full, but luckily it would be very rare that you would be the ONLY pilgrim with this problem. You can band together with the others who did not find a bed. Many towns will open up their "polideportivo" (sports center) for pilgrims to sleep in. Not luxurious, but safe and out of the elements with showers and toilets.

There are many budget accommodations, as well. Ask around for a pensión or fonda. If there is a group of you, you can often get a triple or quad room for a very reasonable price. The worst case scenario is that you will have to take a taxi or bus to another town.

I carried a Spanish cell phone, and sometimes would call ahead to the next town to inquire if they were full or if they anticipated being full by the time I would arrive. The "bed race" is the most pronounced in Galicia, however, the hordes seem to clump up in large towns, whereas smaller villages did not fill up. (For example, the Sarria municipal albergue seems to always be full by noon, whereas if you continue a bit to Barbadelo, the municipal albergue there hardly ever fills up. The more you avoid the large towns, I found the experience to be more relaxing and intimate.

All the sensible suggestions have been made.
Just remember - a] the Camino is NOT a race. b] Occasional short daily distances - or none at all - are perfectly OK. c] There may be a very rare occasion when you can't find a bed for the night - but just think of the fun you'll get telling your grandchildren about your adventure!
Have a good and enjoyable camino - relax, and take what comes as part of the adventure.
Buen camino!
Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also, one thing I've found is that if you walk BETWEEN the stages in Brierley's book and if you begin mid-week instead of a Monday, you are less likely to encounter huge crowds.

Just a tip.

I have a mix of between brierly and following Brierly, but unfortunately I have to start on Monday or Tuesday at the latest. That's just kind of how it worked out unfortunately lol.

I'm not advocating you be cavalier about safety. But when we expect the worst, we find it. When we expect the best, we find it.

My encouragement is to plan as much as is reasonable -- and then to open your heart to trusting things will work out. It's okay to be afraid. It's okay to be concerned that something might happen. My advice is this: don't let fear and uncertainty spoil what is waiting for you that you could never have planned.

Wishing you a blessed Camino! <3

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
trusting things will work out
They will, but don't forget to do your part! You may need to visit an alternative albergue. You may have to walk a bit further or a bit less. You may have to spend a bit more money, or take a taxi/bus to somewhere else. Never hesitate to ask for help from hospitaleros, fellow pilgrims, tourist offices, bartenders, or any friendly face along the way. Show flexibility for best results. The camino may not provide if you sit under a tree moping (not that you have said you would react that way).

I don't know why Villamajor de Monjardin is such a destination. It is a tough walk - for us the last 2 miles to it were walked in a tremendous hail storm with lightning flashing down all around us. We got the last two beds at the ONLY albuergue in town (the other one had its roof cave in last year and I didn't see any construction going on) and we saw them turn away about 25 people after that. And that was in early May. This was the first time we experienced a full albuergue. It was cold and wet IN the room. I heard there was a private hotel in town but never had confirmation. I offered to give my albuergue bunk to peregrinos with less money if they could confirm the hotel and space for me, but non one took me up on it. Other people told me they slept outside the bar under that covered area.
The next day as we walked we all kept commenting on how far the next town was for those folks who were turned away after 7 pm.

Villamayor de Monjardin was full when I was there as well. However it was a very hot day, and it was quite dangerous to keep walking all the way to Los Arcos from a heat point of view. Quite a number of people slept outdoors that night, either in the covered area near the bar, or outdoors outside the albergue or near the church. This is one village where there aren't really enough options for all the people who want to stay there, but it was the only place I saw people struggle to find accommodation in June.
Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am currently in Santiago staying in an apartment. The manager tells me that numbers are way down this year.

Between Puenta la Reina (where I joined the Frances) and here none of the albergues I have stayed in has been full. The 16 bed albergue in Burgos was only half full.

The pilgrims this year are traveling in great WAVES.
Albergue San Bruno in Moratinos, and the two albergues in Terradillos de Templarios, are filled to capacity for one or two nights, then down to ten or 12 the next... or two or three sometimes! And this is JULY!

If you find yourself being shut out of accommodation, take what you can get (sleeping rough, like bedbugs, is rarely fatal). It is miserable for a few hours, but it makes for a great yarn once you´re back home. Do not worry about criminals, not if you have common sense. If all else fails, call a policeman and they will help you out.

Wait around another day or so until the wave passes. Then walk at your own pace, without the race. It works!

McVet - your question is really a desire for certainty, you are trying to control the unknown and the future .. you might as well try to teach cats to knit.

The core of the Camino experience that is so liberating it that you cannot know what happens next so you learn to let go and just see what happens - an ability like that, learned on the Camino, will last you a lifetime.
The chattering mind desperately wants certainty, control, and is terrified that you might live a life where that is no longer needed. Your other mind, your real mind, the quiet one, the connected one, has no fears at all - use that mind .....

don't be afraid, all is well, all will be well

Buen Camino :wink:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well I just got my compostella yesterday and only had two full albergues the entire trip (both in triacastella), though there were certainly those that filled behind me (I walk about 4 kph and generally leave around 7).

Congratulations on the compostela! Triacastela is knee deep in albergues, so if two were full, did you find space in one of the others?

Rebekah Scott said:
The pilgrims this year are traveling in great WAVES.
Albergue San Bruno in Moratinos, and the two albergues in Terradillos de Templarios, are filled to capacity for one or two nights, then down to ten or 12 the next... or two or three sometimes! And this is JULY!
Those "waves" are not unusual to happen on the Camino, though I have not been able to find out (yet) why this is so.
Could it be useful for hospitaleros to know what "volume" can be expected in their location?
Could networking between hospitaleros benefit pilgrims in deciding where to stay next?

€149,-
MCVet said:
Well I just got my compostella yesterday
Congratulations! That is worthy of a brand new thread in the 'Camino Live" section! Hope the weather is/was kind to you in Santiago, and you got to see a few of the people you walked with in and around the Cathedral.
Margaret

falcon269 said:
Congratulations on the compostela! Triacastela is knee deep in albergues, so if two were full, did you find space in one of the others?

Yah it wasn't really a problem, just frustrating after having walked from Riutelan that morning.

A few albergues were full here in Finisterre but we got in very late (around 6) so that's not surprising. Also, you evidently cannot stay in the municipal albergue in Finisterre after getting your compostella/sell from them, even if you didn't stay there before.

I arrived late in one small village only to find that both albergues, and one hotel was completely full. I asked at the local restaurant if there was a church nearby, and while they were calling, a beautiful older woman came over and told me her daughter was out of town, and I could stay in her room.

She wouldn't take any money, and even made me breakfast in the morning, and all she wanted in exchange was for me to say a prayer for her in Santiago.
Another time, I opted for the private pension and enjoyed a luxurious bath and a delicious breakfast for a little more than the public albergue.

I've seen some pilgrims take a cab to the closest city where other larger albergues or pensiones have place. Carry a list of not only albergues, but pensiones, B&B and private hostels.

I travelled during May-June, and I seldom arrived earlier than 3 or 4 and I seldom lacked options.
Aldy

MCVet said:
Interesting. I guess it's a completely different culture over there? You certainly wouldn't dream of sleeping in a Houston park alone at night with valuables on you. That's a good way to get mugged at best.

Spain (or most places in Spain anyway) is much, much, much safer than the third world country you and I call home MCVet :)

Don't get me wrong, its always best to keep your wits about you anywhere, especially cities. And crime is everywhere in the world. But as long as you don't act like a tourist everywhere you go, the likelihood of getting mugged in Spain is about 1/10 what it is in Houston or New Orleans. And public parks are especially safe. This is all less true the larger the city, but even Madrid is safer than many small towns in the U.S. Not necessarily good or bad, but just kind of the reality of the situation.

Yah we were taking a nap in Santiago and an elderly lady accosted us for sleeping in the city (it was in a square, not like on a thoroughfare or anything) when there were such lovely parks only a few blocks away that were a lot nicer to sleep in. The cynical part of me thinks she wanted us to stop being vagrants (what I'd assume hearing it here), but the tonality indicated otherwise to me. I don't speak Spanish so maybe I missed something, but her overall tone seemed joking and my walking buddy/translator agreed that she being facetious about it.

One guy was telling me about how a random Spanish guy invited him to spend the night at his place (he was complaining about Albergue prices) after having just met him 15 minutes prior. I gave him a look of extreme askance and said "you didn't think that was odd?" and he (a French fellow) said 'no, why would it be odd?' It kind of floored me, but hey, he didn't get robbed nor murdered so alls well that ends well!

A few times I had to sleep on the floor in a gym. Only one time we slept under the stars. It was fun, not scary at all. Just don't worry...

Grtz Marcel

€83,-
Although I already replied earlier, one more thing we used to do as students traveling across Spain, was to ask policemen for suggestions (if everything was full) - they often knew of locals that would open their doors for a few pesos (this was before the Euro!). And in one case, they let us stay at the local jail, in our own small holding room where they brought in cots and tea for us.

Specifically on the Camino, I've heard that most hotels/pensiones/restaurant owners HAVE a list of locals who are open to receive late pilgrims. There are a few specific locations that we will actually LOOK to spend the night outside, pending good weather - - - I guess the second time around, one is so much less worried about things that worried us the first time around.

Aldy (AKA Sylvie) leaving in 16 days for Camino # 2!!! whohoo!!

Remember, pilgrims, you can always call a taxi or take a local bus to the next village.
It's ok.. really it is... :p

Anniesantiago said:
Also, one thing I've found is that if you walk BETWEEN the stages in Brierley's book and if you begin mid-week instead of a Monday, you are less likely to encounter huge crowds.

Just a tip.
Totally second that, opt for places inbetween 'guide book stages'. That's where I had some of the best albergue experiences.

I can't wait to get to an albergue and find out it's full! It would be an entire surprise as to where I'd be spending the night. :D

I walked long stages, sometimes arriving late in the afternoon so often all the beds were taken. What saved me is that I had a Therma-Rest air mattress that I could inflate and sleep anywhere. I ended up sleeping on many, many floors. If you walk in the summer I would recommend taking some kind of mat or air mattress as the beds fill up quickly and you really don't want to get into the game of rushing to the next refugio as quickly as possible, it spoils things.

I walked long stages, sometimes arriving late in the afternoon
That is why the beds were full! The Camino does not adapt to you. If you do it your way, you suffer the consequences. You carry the extra weight. You find beds full. You sleep on the floor.

Do it the Camino's way, and you won't need a mat...

€83,-
falcon269 said:
That is why the beds were full! The Camino does not adapt to you. If you do it your way, you suffer the consequences. You carry the extra weight. You find beds full. You sleep on the floor.

Falcon is quite right .......now if one were to stop at 2pm your chances of getting a bed are far greater. Most albergues actually break their own rules to accommodate extra pilgrims , this from a health and safety and insurance point of view. A sleeping mat is no guarantee.

For those of you who want to walk the Camino and have this fear of not finding a bed and DO get stuck , Annie is right , get a taxi even if you get one that takes you BACK a few miles.

Also, keep a separate emergency stash of cash that you only touch when in this situation. Hey! , it's not going to happen in every town .............. unless you walk in peak season and insist on presenting yourself to a full albergue at 8 in the evening. :mrgreen:

ramonvanderburgt said:
I can't wait to get to an albergue and find out it's full! It would be an entire surprise as to where I'd be spending the night. :D

Now THAT is the pilgrim attitude to have!!!

Buen Camino!

falcon269 said:

I have another perspective on the subject. The extra weight I carried was about 300 grams. I can handle it. I enjoyed the adventure of not trying to do it any one way or looking for the right way and wondering if I was doing it the wrong way. Arriving at a monastery and finding it full, I delighted at a bit of floor space with the others. It was fun and it was an adventure and I love walking, so if I chose to walk all afternoon I knew of course that I would end up on the floor and I didn't care. I would pass refugio after refugio knowing that at anytime I could stop and have a bed (maybe), but the wonderful Spanish air and warm sunshine kept me outside and on my way, and often I met others who were doing the same and so we walked on together without a care in the world. And sometimes it lead to moments of great joy.

On that particular Camino I walked from O'Cebreio to Sarria in one day, a distance of about 49kms. Not that far all in all but it was one of those long slow walks where I wasn't in a hurry, just enjoying the walking. The following passage is from my journal of that day, July 23, 2001:

I arrive in Sarria rather late in the afternoon under an oppressive sun. The city, rather large by recent standards, is extremely quiet and all of the stores are closed as is the tradition in the afternoon. I find the refuge which is a house on a narrow side street on a hill. I walk in and sit down at the desk where an older woman is waiting. I smile, say hello, and ask if there are any beds. She says no, there are no beds left, unfortunately. Unfazed by this answer, and used to it by now, I ask her if I can sleep on the floor somewhere – anywhere. Instead of answering my question she asks me where I have come from today.
“O’Cebreio,” I say. Her eyes widen and she sits back. The distance is about 49 kilometers. She looks at me more closely and I notice that she is looking at my shoes, my legs, my face and my hair. She is studying me. I know that I look like a mess – sunburned, wild-eyed and deranged. The tops of my ears are burned black and scabs are peeling off.
“Can I see your credentials?” she asks. I hand them to her. She studies it carefully, unfolding it on her desk. She reaches for her stamp, rolls it back and forth on the ink pad, and then brings it down forcefully on my paper credential, or passport. She gets up and asks me to come with her.
I follow her up a flight of stairs into one of the main bedrooms lined with bunk beds. She leads me to a bed and removes a stick and a sleeping bag from the mattress and tells me to take the bed. She says, “I always save a bed for someone who has walked very far.” My eyes fill with tears and, without thinking, I grab her and give her two big kisses on each cheek and thank her profusely.

I'm really grateful for that experience and I don't think it would have happened had I been more organized or walked less. The thoughtfulness and the kindness of this woman who would reserve a bed for someone who had walked far really touched me deeply. More than a decade later I'm still touched by it and it still resonates with me. Now, I'm not saying that you need to walk all day to have such experiences, not at all. But for me and my Camino that was part of it and that was now it manifested for me. I don't think that there is any one way to do the Camino, not even "the Camino's way" which we can easily co-opt and make "our way." Taking an ultra-light Therm-a-rest pad only adds a few hundred grams and a closed-cell foam mat would only add about 160 grams. In the summer months when there are tens of thousands of people on the Camino it might be nice to have one. I was far from the only person sleeping on the floor, I remember whole families at O'Cebereiro sleeping in the stair-wells of the building.

So sleeping on the floor is not so bad. It's all part of the adventure and part of the unknown. Not knowing what I would find at the end of the day was a big part of my Camino, and it's still with me, and I'm grateful for those weeks of wandering and not-knowing and not really being sure if I was doing it the right way or the wrong way. I was just doing the Camino, my Camino, and that was all.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am a planner by nature, and part of my walking the Camino will be an exercise in letting things happen as they will - letting go, not planning out the details, and just going with the flow. That is not an easy thing for me, but I think it will be good. I know that sometimes I miss opportunities because I am too focused on the plan - planning can be great, but it can lead to inflexibility or just plain old tunnel vision.

We won't be totally unprepared - I always have lists :) but yeah, places might be full and we might have to punt - walk farther, stay in a pension, take a taxi somewhere, sleep outside, band together with other people who are also looking for a place, or we might even get to stay in a jail where they bring you tea! Instead of worrying about this possibility, I am looking at it as part of the experience.

As a planner, I can tell you though that it feels weird to be "planning" a trip without actually doing much planning.

falcon269 said:
... You find beds full. You sleep on the floor.
Not necessarily :roll: Any good hospitalero/a will be happy to suggest alternatives to sleeping on the floor, if this is not what you intended to do :wink: It's not necessary to get up and start walking each day before sunrise (and risk to get lost :cry: ) in order to find a juicy spot in the next albergue. :wink:

One of my most significant moments of each day, is that first step when leaving my "comfort zone" of the previous night and walking into the virtual unknown. Where will this new day take me. Where will I sleep tonight? Anne

annakappa said:
One of my most significant moments of each day, is that first step when leaving my "comfort zone" of the previous night and walking into the virtual unknown. Where will this new day take me. Where will I sleep tonight? Anne

We should have a 'Like' Button on posts. :D

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back