• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

There IS room at the inn!

Julia Mumford

Adventure Geek
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
Camino Ingles (2018)
So, I was fretting, panicking and had high anxiety about the lack of beds on the Camino, especially as my 13 year old daughter was with me. I even considered buying a new tent... But I need not have worried.

Saturday we left St Jean at 10am and after a painful walk (OMG its steep!), we arrive at the Orrison at 1pm. We hadn't booked and they had plenty of beds! I can not explain the relief!

We left the Orrison at 7.45am and got to Roncesvalles around 1pm. I'm just once again there were more than enough beds. (Beds were clean and four little here in a cubicle which helped with the snorers).

We have not long arrived in Zubri and we got beds (4 of us) at the first Albergue we came to.

My message to you is please do not fret. Reading comments on here the week before e came nearly ruined my Camino experience. I'm pleased to report that the Camino is everything you was hoping for.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am happy to hear this Julia as I am traveling on the Camino at the end of next week and have been hearing some horror stories about there being no beds. I did not want to have to book ahead for the accommodation.

thanks
Karen

Yay! I am happy for you! and it's a relief for me to read as my family of four (me, husband, and two teens) are starting in mid June from Castrojeriz. I do have a few places booked but we will mostly see what happens. Also glad to hear that there are other teens out there!
:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Reading comments on here the week before we came nearly ruined my Camino experience.
have been hearing some horror stories
My comments are intended to be gentle, not critical... so I apologize for taking these quotes out of context.:eek:
Much of the "negative" feeling came from the readers focusing on the questions/fears posed on the forum more than on the answers/information provided by experienced pilgrims on how to manage things. Overall, the informed answers revealed that the camino was predictably-busy, with waves of very-busy and waves of quiet, but it was still manageable in any case. It is easy to pick up on the fears expressed in the questions, and ignore the balanced responses. Even allowing for some poetic license, I don't remember any horror stories reported with any credibility. Rather, we tend create horror stories ("worst case scenarios") in our own minds when we embark on something unknown. I certainly do it myself and sometimes need to remind myself that I'm doing so. :)

So, I was fretting, panicking and had high anxiety about the lack of beds on the Camino, especially as my 13 year old daughter was with me. I even considered buying a new tent... But I need not have worried.

Saturday we left St Jean at 10am and after a painful walk (OMG its steep!), we arrive at the Orrison at 1pm. We hadn't booked and they had plenty of beds! I can not explain the relief!

We left the Orrison at 7.45am and got to Roncesvalles around 1pm. I'm just once again there were more than enough beds. (Beds were clean and four little here in a cubicle which helped with the snorers).

We have not long arrived in Zubri and we got beds (4 of us) at the first Albergue we came to.

My message to you is please do not fret. Reading comments on here the week before e came nearly ruined my Camino experience. I'm pleased to report that the Camino is everything you was hoping for.
Hi Julia, I'm happy for you that everything went well.
Wish you all a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I' m very happy to heard this from you Julia. On 11 June I start my third Camino wifh my daugther ( 17 years old).
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thank you soooo much for your post! My husband, 13 year old daughter and I are set to begin on June 10th. We were very worried, particularly because of our daughter. Reading your post was such a relief! We also plan to break up the first day at Orrison. I have already prepaid for it though. I was really scared after reading some of these posts about the bed races! Buen Camino!!!

Thank you, C Clearly. Your point is so well taken. The very basic lesson of the glass of water that is half filled. I, too, had abandoned thoughts of my first Camino being on the Francés... and was desperately seeking alternative routes. But this is the route that I want to walk... and so my wisdom, and that of others, will see me through a wonderful experience. I'll be in St Jean in September...

My God what a relief, I am starting my first Camino this Saturday the 4th at Roncesvalles. My two main worries heve been getting the dreaded blisters and not finding a bed after a long walk.
I can't wait to get going, I am sure this is going to be something special for me and for all of you who are already doing the Camino or are just like me ready to go.
See you soon.
Os deseo a todos un muy buen Camino ( I wish you all a very enjoyable Camino).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It just depends where you are. The crowds are in waves. If you get into a busy wave, either slow down and walk a half stage or speed up to get into the 'ditch.'

I was shocked at seeing NO PILGRIMS in Sarria after watching so many being turned away earlier on. But we bussed a few stages and voila!

Then again in Pedrouzo pilgrims couldn't find beds and had to taxi or walk ahead.

Last night I did see at least 10 pilgrims turned away at San Martin Pinario. If you wish to sleep here in the pilgrim rooms, reservations should be made as soon as you are sure of your arrival date.

Just ride in the ditch between the waves.

I am now lunching in Naverette, so 8 days in. The only plce with bed issues was Los Arcos, but I think that's a wll known bottle neck. Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes there seems to be plenty of beds if your prepared to walk 10km days and stop and check in around noon ish. It's very common to see people taking taxis at 3pm to the next or the last village for a bed

We finished our first Camino experience yesterday, and it was the BEST thing I have ever done. The bed situation was absolutely fine - even when we arrived late (around 5pm/6pm).

We finished after 6 days of walking - 90 miles in total, at Estella. We can't wait to go back to complete the next section. The thing that made it for me was the people. You can read my blog (if you are interested) - here http://www.moderndaypilgrim.co.uk/

PS - I'm now addicted to the Camino!

Thank you for posting this Julia. One of my worst fears of my upcoming Camino is the race for beds. I decided early on in my planning to try not to let it overwhelm me each day when I walk. I guess only time will tell if I will be so lucky!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back